Apple's rumored 4" iPhone update purportedly leaked again in new photo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    sog35 said:

It's not a low level phone if they're going to charge $450 or $550 for it. 2GB RAM provides a better experience. I thought that's what Apple was all about.
    It is a low level phone for iPhone purposes.

You can't expect a $450 iPhone to have all the hardware specs like the $650 top tier
    I don't. I know this phone won't have the best camera or 3D Touch. But 2GB RAM allows it to get multiple years of software upgrades without much degradation in user experience.
  • Reply 22 of 70

sog35 said:
    You're still not explaining why people are buying the 6 over the 6S.
    People are buying the 6 instead of the 6s because those phones look identical. And for most people the difference in price is not worth it to just get 3d touch.

That is why during the S-cycles you need to get rid of the non-S phone. 

Now imagine if the 6s came out and the midrange phone was the 5s?  Or a plastic 6? I'm pretty sure Apple would sell more 6s at that point.

But what is Apple's goal?
    To maximize profits and gross margin?
    To maximize units?
    To maximize customer satisfaction?

See that's the problem with Cook. I have no idea if he wants to maximize profits or maximize user experience or install base (to a reasonable extent, Apple won't be selling $300 iPhones).  Cook has not give us his vision of iPhone goals for the next 3, 5, and 10 years. Is it too keep beating profits? Or to grow install base?  
    So basically you're saying the 6S was a mediocre update, or that Apple should release a phone every two years because the YOY improvements are too incremental. I'm skeptical that a 5 or 5S owner wouldn't upgrade to the 6S because it looks just like the 6 but will upgrade to the 7 because it looks different.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,117member
    If this is real, I think it will be the perfect phone for a lot of people, and will help boost a quarter that is normally pretty slow. 

And it wouldn't entirely surprise me if a lot of people are buying the 6 over the 6s. For the average person, it's pretty hard to tell the difference, and if you're on a budget, you might want to spend that $100 elsewhere. I have a 6, and I certainly haven't found it lacking in any significant way, although I do recognize that the 6s has a lot of upgrades "under the hood." The thing that I would probably notice most is the faster fingerprint recognition, but I'm not sure that's worth $100.

If I were buying now, I'd still get the 6s, but mostly just because I'm a nerd and I think it would survive more upgrade cycles, etc. I'm not sure how many people think that way. 
  • Reply 24 of 70
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,430member
    It definitely has touchID. TouchID does not show the square icon as the icon would interfere with fingerprint recognition. Also Apple has a strong vested interest in ApplePay so it would be foolish if it left TouchID out. 

nolamacguy
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    Possibly Touch ID?  The 5S has Touch ID, why would a refresh not?  The article author got too caught up in the comparison with the older 5 and forgot there's already a 4" model with Touch ID.

The iPhone 5c, which this would presumably be replacing, doesn't have Touch ID. Not like it's above Apple to use Touch ID/Apple Pay access as a push to buy the more expensive 6s...
    Possible, but really unlikely IMO.  The whole point of making a 4" phone, and discontinuing the others is that you want the people on the "old" phones with the old technology to move to a device that has a minimum of the "new" features.  TouchID is pretty much mandatory, standard equipment on all iOS devices at this point and there is no point in making new devices without it.  
  • Reply 26 of 70

So..it's basically an iPhone 6 but they're calling it iPhone 5se.. WWHHYY?...

Because it has none of the features of the iPhone 6 except for general cosmetic appearance?  

Making an argument by quoting a known idiot (above) is kind of weird as well.  
  • Reply 27 of 70

mac_128 said:

The iPhone 5c, which this would presumably be replacing, doesn't have Touch ID. Not like it's above Apple to use Touch ID/Apple Pay access as a push to buy the more expensive 6s...
    Uh, no. It's pretty clear this is not replacing the 5c. The 5s replaced the 5c. This replaces the 5s. No matter how you parse this rumor that's clear.
    The 5s and 5c came out at the same time.  
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Just because people were criticizing me for posting this yesterday ... here is a quote from Mark Gurman today, that agrees with my prediction.

"This means that Apple’s fall 2016 iPhone lineup will likely be the iPhone 5se, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, and the future iPhone 7 and 7 Plus ..."

The only thing really in question are the prices, and whether they call it iPhone 5se or iPhone 6c.  
  • Reply 29 of 70
    sog35 said:
    People are buying the 6 instead of the 6s because those phones look identical. ...
    I have to say this is just a crazy argument.  There is arguably a greater difference between the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6 than many of the previous models.  Anyone who has examined both devices or even seen them side by side can tell you this.  They even feel different in the hand.  
  • Reply 30 of 70
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    sog35 said:
    This year's lineup:

iPhone 7+ $750
    iPhone 7   $650
    iPhone 6s+ $650
    iPhone 6s  $550
    iPhone 6s mini $450

Next years lineup

iPhone 7s+  $750
    iPhone 7s    $650
    iPhone 6s+ $650
    iPhone 6s   $550
    iPhone 6s mini $450

These lineups would stop canibalizing the top tier phones.

Did Apple care about cannibalization? If the did, they wouldn't have kept 6/6+ last year according to your bullshit analysis. You should stop posting ridiculous line up nonsense. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 31 of 70
    sog35 said:
    People are buying the 6 instead of the 6s because those phones look identical. And for most people the difference in price is not worth it to just get 3d touch.

Now imagine if the 6s came out and the midrange phone was the 5s?  Or a plastic 6? I'm pretty sure Apple would sell more 6s at that point.

To maximize units?

See that's the problem with Cook. I have no idea if he wants to maximize profits or maximize user experience or install base (to a reasonable extent, Apple won't be selling $300 iPhones).  Cook has not give us his vision of iPhone goals for the next 3, 5, and 10 years. Is it too keep beating profits? Or to grow install base?  
    Utter bs. People who buy 6s over 6 because it's better spec, not a look. When I tried 6s, I was sold by its performance, camera, 3D Touch...so I traded in my wife's 1-year old 6 for it....
  • Reply 32 of 70

sog35 said:

To maximize units?

So basically you're saying the 6S was a mediocre update, or that Apple should release a phone every two years because the YOY improvements are too incremental. I'm skeptical that a 5 or 5S owner wouldn't upgrade to the 6S because it looks just like the 6 but will upgrade to the 7 because it looks different.
    All the Rose gold were gone in first 24 hrs...Guess people cares?
  • Reply 33 of 70
    According to Mark Gurman it's most likely that this phone will have A9 and M9 processors. A8 never made any sense to me. I hope this is a sign Apple is going to give devices the hardware they need to support multiple OS upgrades. Give this phone A9 processor and 2GB RAM and it easily will be able to upgrade to iOS 10 and 11 without performance issues.
    If it's a cross between 5S and 6 according to "well connected " Kuo, then it shohld be iPhone 6 in 4" screen. The purpose is to replace 5s at lowe tier which shouldn't have better specs then the 6/6+ in mid tier. 
    If it will sport A9, 2GB RAM and/or 3D touch, it makes sense to be in mid tier and will be in lower tier in Fall when 7/7+ is released. So, you get better specs with a smaller screen for the same price as iPhone 6. Then Mar line up should be:
    6s/6s+
    6/6+/4" iPhone ( whatever name)
    5s (until Fall)

and Fall:

7/7+
    6s/6s+
    6/6+/4" iPhone 6/5se or they may just kill 6+.

edited January 2016
  • Reply 34 of 70
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Mr_Grey said:

mac_128 said:
    Uh, no. It's pretty clear this is not replacing the 5c. The 5s replaced the 5c. This replaces the 5s. No matter how you parse this rumor that's clear.
    What does that have to do with anything? The 5c was discontinued last September. The 5S is the current low-end phone. It has Touch ID. Apple is not going to remove a feature the current low end phone has.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Is that a power button on the right side of the case? The 4" form factor means that the power button can go at the top, where it belongs so that when a user pushes the volume buttons they can brace their hand against the other side of the phone and so that there is a flat side to the phone so you can really use the "level" feature in the accelerometer. These features were brought to market by Apple, why are they just throwing them away... So sad.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    I'd actually prefer a smaller phone. like a 3 inch diagonal one. 3 icons across not 4. GPS, BT, BTLE, WiFi, reduced rez camera, just one. And 512 meg memory and 8GB flash, Touch ID, and 3D touch. make the screen the iPhone 4 pixel resolution, but enable a scaled mode for people with normal eyes. Motion chip and under clocked A9. And the most important feature, when paired with a normal sized phone allow the Apple SIMs between the two to be synchronized. Push Apple SIM by having it baked into the phone, no slot to remove it. So, business phone and "evening phone" ... people may think two phones are ridiculous, until they try them. I used an e-61 and a razor and it was wonderful, except for sim swapping. or call forwarding and then forgetting. Apple can make it seamless.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    mac_128 said:
    Mr_Grey said:

What does that have to do with anything? The 5c was discontinued last September. The 5S is the current low-end phone. It has Touch ID. Apple is not going to remove a feature the current low end phone has.
    You said "the 5s replaced the 5c," that's why.  It didn't.  

Nothing personal but I'm putting you on mute.  You don't seem to be able to put together a coherent argument and it just wastes my time (as well as yours), to argue with you about anything. 
  • Reply 38 of 70
    sog35 said:
    Mr_Grey said:
    I have to say this is just a crazy argument.  There is arguably a greater difference between the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6 than many of the previous models.  Anyone who has examined both devices or even seen them side by side can tell you this.  They even feel different in the hand.  
    The 6 and 6s look exactly the same. The only difference is the 6s is thicker and heavier. How is that better?

Most buyers don't give a crap about CPU, Live Photo's, 3d touch, ect. All they want is the latest iPhone style. So if two iPhones look identical they will most likely buy the cheaper one.
    Well, you couldn't be more wrong here.  People actually buy the phones based primarily on Apple's marketing points whether you think so or not.  Also, generally speaking, when the new models come out the old ones are discontinued, so it's rare for people buying a phone to even have a choice.  

For the record, (to address your "thicker and heavier" insult above), the iPhone 6s feels better in the hand.  It isn't slippery like the iPhone 6 is and has a much more solid, substantial feel.  This is because of the higher quality aluminium and the finish they put on it, both of which are undetectable to (your) eye, but still very compelling to the buyer.  
    edited January 2016 Rayz2016
  • Reply 39 of 70
    sog35, I'm thinking you mean to say iPhone 7 as the mid-tier models next year? I do agree that the 6S might have a 6S-grade A9 CPU. Apple will want any new device released today to have a shelf life of at least two years, and the A8 will be very creaky by then. Put differently, remember how surprised some people were that last year's iPod Touch had a then-state-of-the-art A8? That was for shelf life. Same story here, but a year later.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:
    Did Apple care about cannibalization? If the did, they wouldn't have kept 6/6+ last year according to your bullshit analysis. You should stop posting ridiculous line up nonsense. 
    Of course Apple cares about cannibalization. They care about lower end products canibalzing higher end products.
    That's why there was no iPad Air3 last year (canibalize iPad Pro)
    That's why they released the iPhone 5c instead of selling the 5 at a discount.
    That's why they are constantly gimping the iPad mini.

The exception was last year when they kept the iPhone6.  I don't think they will make that same mistake again.

People are idiots. You can a thousand commericals explaining why the 6s is better than the 6. But they won't believe you or care once they see that the 6s and the 6 look virtually identical.
    completely wrong. im not sure how many times apple executives have to say the contrary before it gets thru -- theyd rather cannibalize themselves than have the competition do it. theyre not afraid of making something that replaces another of their products.

and they arent constantly gimping the mini to promote non-mini sales. in fact at one point it was the same as the non-mini, and apple touted this point specifically ("every inch an ipad"). but then it fell behind in updates as they prioritized other work items.
    edited January 2016