Tim Cook: FBI is asking Apple to create 'software equivalent of cancer'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Would he look into a phone if a terrorist attack were planned for Apple HQ?  You can bet he would.
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Cwehner said:
    matrix077 said:
    It's Macbook I guess. Could be a golden or grey version.
    You thought it was gold or gray, it sure  looked all black to me.
    Black keyboard is definitely darker than the chassis, I vote space gray MB.
    latifbpcornchip
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Would he look into a phone if a terrorist attack were planned for Apple HQ?  You can bet he would.
    If Apple put a backdoor into it's software, no country would ever trust the security of the phone's they were using - or any smart-phone. Would you be willing to go back to flip phone's? Because that is where this is heading.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    In a situation where lives are at risk, such as now in a war footing with radical Islam, adult Americans know that some liberties are often sublimated in the short term in order to overcome a very significant and continuing threat.  All of you millennials who are afraid that the FBI will snoop on your weekend date plans, or your speed dealer's phone number need to loosen up, believe me no one cares about you, and -a lot- of people you don't know can see what you are doing every day.  

"The steps Lincoln took are well known. Under his constitutional powers as commander-in-chief of the military, he declared martial law and suspended the writ of habeas corpus in certain locations. He blockaded Southern ports. He shut down some opposition newspapers. He created tribunals similar to the ones that George W. Bush established when he was president. At one point early in the war, convinced that the Maryland legislature was poised to vote an ordinance of secession, he ordered Federal troops to arrest and detain pro-secessionist lawmakers. Lincoln justified this last step on the grounds that there was “tangible and unmistakable evidence” of their “substantial and unmistakable complicity with those in armed rebellion.”"

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/389928/civil-liberties-wartime-mackubin-thomas-owens

But today, ignorant liberals would rather lose the Civil war than to make a temporary sacrifice.
  • Reply 25 of 62

entropys said:
    I would imagine he would be too busy making sure his employees were safe and the building secure to navel gaze while his engineers spent months building a backdoor for iPhones.

Not a good analogy mate.
    Theoretically, the time and place of an armed terrorist attack would not be known, and the information would be locked on someone's iPhone.  The only thing that would be known is that the plans were made and they are available on an iPhone. The government would have a clear right, with plenty of legal precedence, to demand that information not be withheld. 
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Cwehner said:
    matrix077 said:
    Space Grey MacBook
  • Reply 27 of 62

On Ribbons and Ribbon Cutters

With most non-technical people struggling to make sense of the battle between FBI and Apple, Bill Gates introduced an excellent analogy to explain cryptography to the average non-geek. Gates used the analogy of encryption as a “ribbon around a hard drive”. Good encryption is more like a chastity belt, but since Farook decided to use a weak passcode, I think it’s fair here to call it a ribbon. In any case, lets go with Gates’ ribbon analogy.

Where Gates is wrong is that FBI is not ordering Apple to simply cut the ribbon. In fact, I think there would be more in the tech sector who would support Apple simply breaking the weak password that Farook chose to use if this had been the case. Apple’s encryption is virtually unbreakable when you use a strong alphanumeric passcode, and so by choosing to use a numeric pin, you get what you deserve.

Instead of cutting the ribbon, which would be a much simpler task, FBI is ordering Apple to invent a ribbon cutter – a forensic tool capable of cutting the ribbon for FBI, and is promising to use it on just this one phone. In reality, there’s already a line beginning to form behind Comey should he get his way. NY DA Cy Vance has stated that NYC has 175 iPhones waiting to be unlocked (which translates to roughly 1/10th of 1% of all crime in NYC for an entire year). Documents have also shown DOJ has over a dozen more such requests pending. If FBI’s promise of “just this one phone” were authentic, there would be no need to order Apple to make this ribbon cutter; they’d simply tell them to cut the ribbon.

Why has the government waited this long to order such a thing? Because in spite of all of iOS 8’s security, the Chinese invented a ribbon cutter for it called the IP BOX. IP BOX was capable of brute forcing any numeric passcode in iOS 8, and even though it was junky, Chinese-made hardware with zero forensic credibility (and actually called home to servers in China), our government used it widely to break into iOS devices without Apple’s help. The government has really gone dumpster diving for forensic solutions for iOS. This ribbon cutter was used by both law enforcement and anyone with $200 to break into iOS devices, and is a great example of how such a ribbon cutter is often abused for crime.

So here’s the real question: Why is FBI asking for the invention of a ribbon cutter instead of just asking Apple to cut the ribbon? Well the answer to that comes back to precedent. If FBI can order the existence of this ribbon cutter, Cy Vance’s 175 phones will be much easier to push through the courts without the same level of scrutiny as a terrorism case. If FBI were simply asking for Apple to cut the ribbon, all future AWA orders would have to go through the same legal scrutiny in the courts for justification. Getting the ribbon cutter invented for a terrorism case opens the door for such a tool to then be justified by the DA for weaker cases – such as narcotics, computer crimes, or even simply investigations where the government can’t even prove to the courts that a crime was ever committed. Once it’s a tool, just like a Stingray box or a breathalyzer, the court’s leniency in permitting its use increases dramatically.

The existence of a ribbon cutter is really only the first stepping stone in breathing a whole suite of forensic modules into existence, as I mentioned in another blog post. If you simply ask Apple to cut the ribbon, you have nothing to build on when expanding future requests for information from iPhone 6 devices, and the next generation.

Also consider that the courts aren’t about to force Apple to hack into their own customer products. In fact, the customer purchased these products trusting that the manufacturer wouldn’t – even couldn’t – intentionally compromise them; ever since iOS 8, Apple has marketed these devices as so secure that Apple themselves cannot hack them. For Apple to be forced to backdoor their own devices would invite countless lawsuits from their own customers, betray consumer trust, and likely cost Apple millions, if not billions, in sales depending on how big of a PR nightmare it created. The courts, however, appear to be OK with forcing Apple to write what is being portrayed by the FBI as an innocent, fluffy tool for just this one device.

In reality, the backdoor FBI is ordering Apple to create is incredibly dangerous. Once the backdoor is created, it can be used on over half a billion devices at the whim of the courts – both in this country, and in China, or other countries that oppress human rights. It will weaken our own national security and create an incredibly tangled legal web for Apple to fight through with every other country that follows in the US’ footsteps. While the analogy of a ribbon is easy to understand, the implications are far more serious than the frilly ribbon you probably think of.

stevehcincyteesflagellymf
  • Reply 28 of 62
    jungmark said:
    How would he know an attack was planned at Apple HQ? 
    If he did he would threaten Goog/MS to remove their shite from iOS/OSX!!
  • Reply 29 of 62
    In a situation where lives are at risk, such as now in a war footing with radical Islam, adult Americans know that some liberties are often sublimated in the short term in order to overcome a very significant and continuing threat.  All of you millennials who are afraid that the FBI will snoop on your weekend date plans, or your speed dealer's phone number need to loosen up, believe me no one cares about you, and -a lot- of people you don't know can see what you are doing every day.  

"The steps Lincoln took are well known. Under his constitutional powers as commander-in-chief of the military, he declared martial law and suspended the writ of habeas corpus in certain locations. He blockaded Southern ports. He shut down some opposition newspapers. He created tribunals similar to the ones that George W. Bush established when he was president. At one point early in the war, convinced that the Maryland legislature was poised to vote an ordinance of secession, he ordered Federal troops to arrest and detain pro-secessionist lawmakers. Lincoln justified this last step on the grounds that there was “tangible and unmistakable evidence” of their “substantial and unmistakable complicity with those in armed rebellion.”"

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/389928/civil-liberties-wartime-mackubin-thomas-owens

But today, ignorant liberals would rather lose the Civil war than to make a temporary sacrifice.
    You just didn't think things through, did you? Or in your words: ignorant.
    This tool doesn't exist today. When it exists, the government will never be able to prevent it to fall into the wrong hands. Hackers, criminals or even terrorists will use this tool to get back at all of you. Your works, your financial info even government works, government official info including their personal, financial, health data will be targeted. And all terrorists had moved on from iPhone long ago. ISIS even has messaging app of their own. This is why this particular phone haven't been destroyed by the murderers.
    In other words, what Tim Cook's done here is protecting YOU and your country.
    Oh, and the last time I checked the US isn't in martial law state, ain't it? So I'm not sure how the Lincoln situation applies here.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 30 of 62
    ABC still uses flash ! incredible !
    iqatedo
  • Reply 31 of 62
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    roake said:
    "They're all dead anyway, so what difference does it make?"

Oh, wait.  That was a quote from Hillary on another topic.  Disregard.
    Yes, because Hillary would really say something so flippant and crass. Please do grow the hell up.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member

What you don't seem to realize is that if the terrorist knows there's a back door to a phone, they will not use that phone for their terrorism plans. Do you actually think that there are not other options that are easily available for them to use to encrypt the data of any phone. Sorry, but most terrorist use pre paid, untraceable, throw a way phones with an encryption apps. Phones that don't require a CC to activate or purchase minutes (and data). In fact, there are countries with high terrorist activities that are already banning the sales of these type of phones. Terrorist are not using $800 unlocked iPhones or Galaxy's. The only reason this one terrorist had an iPhone was that it was issued to him from his government job and there is no evidence that he ever used it for his terrorist activities. Otherwise, he would have destroyed it along with his other two phones. Believe me, the FBI don't want Apple to create this back door software to snoop on the terrorist. They want it to use it to snoop  on us to see if our week end plans includes a visit to a Muslim Mosque or if our speed dial includes the numbers to people who's last names sounds Arab.

And maybe while their at it, see if there's any naked pictures they can capture and distribute among themselves.

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/california-chp-nude-photo-trading-ring/ ;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/08/prepaid-cell-phone-ban-te_n_604035.html

Sites like this one has been posted several time before about the true intentions of the FBI.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-big-secret-surrounding-stingray-surveillance/

I think that the problem is not that some of us are paranoid, the problem is that you are not paranoid enough.
    edited February 2016 JamesBBcornchippalomine
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Tim may not have the charisma and guru-like following Steve Jobs had, but he is pretty damn unique in his own ways, and in many ways probably a more effective leader than Steve was. Steve would have exploded in rage 10 times by now.... Tim keeps up the diplomacy, but with a very firm hand on the wheel of principles and values.

I don't know of other CEO's with that level of genuine and heartfelt integrity. Wow.

iqatedolatifbpcornchippalomine
  • Reply 34 of 62
    There's a lot more could have been said here, but I guess he has to be diplomatic. Like I notice he had to almost completely ignore the biggest elephant in the room; if they create the tools for the American government, then the same tools has to be made available to every other government around the world. Many of which may not be part of what we might think of as the 'free world'. It's alright saying it would only be used against this one bad guy, or even bad guys in general, but not every government will have the same definition of who a bad guy is. Guess there are some governments Apple wants to keep sweet, for obvious reasons.

• Reply 35 of 62
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Is it just me or did Cook almost strangle that guy?
  • Reply 36 of 62
    cornchip said:
    Is it just me or did Cook almost strangle that guy?
    That's just you...
  • Reply 37 of 62
    I wonder how this would be playing out if San Bernardino had purchased Samsung phones for its employees.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Cwehner said:
    matrix077 said:
    I saw it as blue and black.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    In a situation where lives are at risk, such as now in a war footing with radical Islam, adult Americans know that some liberties are often sublimated in the short term in order to overcome a very significant and continuing threat. 
    False. If only people like you could understand exactly how stupid this makes you sound.
    "Radical Islam" Grow the fuck up. Do you have any clue who funds and arms these groups?

Inalienable rights! Oh, wait, except when the situation is "serious". Sorry, doesn't work that way.

• Reply 40 of 62
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

mcdark said:
    There's a lot more could have been said here, but I guess he has to be diplomatic. Like I notice he had to almost completely ignore the biggest elephant in the room; if they create the tools for the American government, then the same tools has to be made available to every other government around the world. Many of which may not be part of what we might think of as the 'free world'. It's alright saying it would only be used against this one bad guy, or even bad guys in general, but not every government will have the same definition of who a bad guy is. Guess there are some governments Apple wants to keep sweet, for obvious reasons.

Where do you people get the idea that it would be OK for even the US government to have access to such tools? I keep hearing this good-government bullshit story where, it would be OK for our government, but too dangerous in the hands of other governments. Holy hell, stop watching television, that's all I can tell you.

You should be more wary of the US government and the power it wields both domestically and internationally.