Early reviews peg Samsung's Galaxy S7 as a serious contender for best smartphone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Seriously???? What a bunch of clown fish. AI why are you printing this BS without any rebuttal???? This is not journalism but copy and paste.  Lets start with the headline...."...Serious Contender For Best Smartphone". According to these clowns?

Let's start with... "the software could use some work". Maybe this "article" should have ended there... but let move on.

Ed Baig, USA Today
    Praised the industrial design? What, Like how it still looks very close to the iPhone slim design, rounded edges, etc.
    Would like a removable battery ( Ed must be a dinosaur... We've move way beyond this point...)
    Shiny back - smudges and fingerprints, and Ed, do you think maybe slippery to hold?????

Dan Seifert, The Verge
    Lets see how his praise sounds - slippery back, software is lacking, bloatware, too many default apps, interactive edge feature buggy and mostly a gimmick so turned it off... Wow!!! Yes, must be a great contender!

Geoffrey A. Fowler, Wall Street Journal
    Oh, the battery. Wants more whiz bang features like Apple's 3D touch... yes, quite the competitor... and lets copy more of Apple.

Sascha Segan, PC World
    Likes the exaggerated and unrealistic colors of the Samsung screen - not that we can't come close to duplicating that on the iPhone with filters and brightness control... but hey, who cares about color accuracy... And finally, couldn't really recommend it over the iPhone because of the iPhone's superior software and apps. Wow!!!!! 

Enough said. Time to move on...
    icoco3pscooter63magman1979jony0ai46cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 121
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    rob53 said:
    And how many of these reviewers actually like anything from Apple? As for camera reviews, I'll wait to hear from actual photography websites instead of journalists. Oh wait, I don't really care what Samsung makes, I'll never buy one anyway. What was that article I read recently, millions of Android phones infected with malware.....
    Also, fingerprint reader is a joke. One can break in Galaxy phone using fingerprint from capacitive printed paper.
    magman1979cornchip
  • Reply 23 of 121
    cali said:
    The iPhoney that pays websites millions in advertising always gets "good reviews" before launch. How is this news?

macapfel said:
    It's a very mature market. I don't expect this to change. iPhone and Galaxy will be like Mercedes and BMW. The best you can get, and it comes down to your personal preference. 

NOT AT FUC*ING ALL

Mercerdes and BMW are different from one another.
    iPhone and iPhoney will be like Jordan shoes and cheap knockoffs named Jurdan's. People who can afford the real thing will have iPhones, broke and dumb people will buy the knockoff and pretend it's "just as good". This is already happening.

Let say BMW and Hyundai!
    magman1979
  • Reply 24 of 121
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

macapfel said:
    It's a very mature market. I don't expect this to change. iPhone and Galaxy will be like Mercedes and BMW. The best you can get, and it comes down to your personal preference. I don't see how one could gain a real technological advantage over the other in the near future. But of course, iPhone will always be smarter, more stylish and simply the best. I'll never change for Samsung!
    There absolutely is a real tech advantage with the iPhone - the software, software and hardware integration, and total ecosystem. These are core elements of Apple's differentiation.
    icoco3magman1979
  • Reply 25 of 121
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    hentaiboy said:
    You do realise that the these phones cost between $650 and $750 don't you?
    These phones get quickly discounted by $100-$200 in a matter of months.

Plus there are alot of dumb people who will charge this to a credit card and end up paying $1500 for it with interest.

The statistics are undeniable. Educated, successful, and rich people are more likely to buy iPhones than Samsung. Its a fact.
    Statistics are almost always deniable. :-)

I know educated, successful and rich people who use Android phones.  You could likely say the same about Porsches correlating with wealth and success.  As with iPhones, it probably has something to do with the high cost.  The S7 is in the S6 price bracket, so I would imagine that the education, success and wealth of purchasers would statistically be higher than for people who buy Android phones costing half as much or less.

Are there a lot of people in the US who regularly pay double for things via their CCs?
  • Reply 26 of 121
    sog35 said:
    hentaiboy said:
    You do realise that the these phones cost between $650 and $750 don't you?
    These phones get quickly discounted by $100-$200 in a matter of months.

Plus there are alot of dumb people who will charge this to a credit card and end up paying $1500 for it with interest.

The statistics are undeniable. Educated, successful, and rich people are more likely to buy iPhones than Samsung. Its a fact.

From real world experience most people I see who have Samsung phones are usually poor, uneducated, or just flat out dummies. Sorry. I do have friends who are smart/rich that have Samsung but very few.  I'd say 95% of my friends who are smart/successful have iPhone. The only reason why he still has Samsung is because he hates change and wants to stick with the same brand till they go bankrupt.
    Cough ...LeBron James!
    ...did he finish High School? Yeah , you have the point.
  • Reply 27 of 121
    postmanpostman Posts: 35member
    These reviews are nothing more than seeing how close copy-cats can copy. It begs the question: why buy an imitation when you can get the original? Especially when they lack the original's unique features and qualities? A more accurate headline would read: THE IMITATION GAME: Latest Samsung iPhone imitation better than last year's imitation - but still not better than the iPhone.
    edited March 2016 magman1979cornchip
  • Reply 28 of 121
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    Interesting, after a few years struggling trying to make unique phones, Samsung is posed for success again by going back to what has always worked well for them, making iClones.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 29 of 121

I don't see this phone making much of a dent in iPhone sales.  Samsung needs to do something really spectacular to steal iPhone sales. They did this 4 years ago by selling phones with big screens. Samsung really needs to bring out a foldable screen to stand any chance against Apple.  If they could make a 6 inch screen that folds in half (so its as pocketable as a 5s) then they could steal sales. They won't do it with this iPhone clone.
    What good if you have foldable screen without foldable parts ( CPU, RAM, Flash drives....). You know by doing foldable phone, you double the thickness of the phone right? I'd rather have thin flat phone like iPhone now than have a 1/2 size phone with 2x thicker.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 30 of 121
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    fallenjt said:

I don't see this phone making much of a dent in iPhone sales.  Samsung needs to do something really spectacular to steal iPhone sales. They did this 4 years ago by selling phones with big screens. Samsung really needs to bring out a foldable screen to stand any chance against Apple.  If they could make a 6 inch screen that folds in half (so its as pocketable as a 5s) then they could steal sales. They won't do it with this iPhone clone.
    What good if you have foldable screen without foldable parts ( CPU, RAM, Flash drives....)
    Apple R&D division creates the Apple Pencil.  It has not been suggested that the internals overlap the 2 halves of a foldable iPhone.
    edited March 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 31 of 121
    That industrial design they are praising belongs to Apple, which should invalidate Samsung from any "awards".
    magman1979ai46radarthekatcornchip
  • Reply 32 of 121
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I remember the "great" reviews last year... months later it was revealed to be a POS battery eater with massive lag and throttling despite the super duper CPU.
    Lets see how that goes...
    pscooter63ericthehalfbeemagman1979jony0radarthekatcornchip
  • Reply 33 of 121
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    sog35 said:
    Samsung does some things right:

1. Nice overall design. I like the small bezel. I hope iPhone7 has smaller bezel's than iPhone6
    2. Great screen

But iPhone is still superior because:

1. Better Privacy. No Google, Samsung, and Carrier spying on you. 
    2. Much less bloatware. Google, Samsung, and Carrier bloat.
    3. Better operating system
    4. Much more secure digital payments
    5. Much better resale value
    6. Much better customer service
    7. Faster real world performance
    8. Better ecosystem, services, and Apps

The list is spot on. 
    magman1979clemynxai46
  • Reply 34 of 121
    These reviews are hilarious. It's just a back and forth ping pong ball. Apple releases new phone...it's better than 6 month old Samsung...Samsung releases new phone...it's better than 6 month old Apple. It's personal preference at this point.
    koop
  • Reply 35 of 121
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    I see Samsung as the best of the Android phone lot. It's still no iPhone. I do like the micro-SD card support and water-proofing. Hoping Apple adds these to the next iPhone. Would these features persuade me to switch to a Samsung phone? Hell no! An iPhone is always more than the sum of the parts...
  • Reply 36 of 121
    domino67domino67 Posts: 34member
    rob53 said:
    And how many of these reviewers actually like anything from Apple? As for camera reviews, I'll wait to hear from actual photography websites instead of journalists. Oh wait, I don't really care what Samsung makes, I'll never buy one anyway. What was that article I read recently, millions of Android phones infected with malware.....
    Actual camera websites like dxomark?  They rate the Samsung cameras ahead of Apple.  With regards to this malware, it was a company who is trying to sell a security product.....Big surprise!  If you just use common sense and only download from Google Play store the chances of getting infected are very very very small.   How is that ransomware for Macs?
    kamalwatt1
  • Reply 37 of 121
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    The Apple Defense Force (ADF) in ful swing today.

That said, I have ordered a New Galaxy S7 Edge.

Thank you Tim Cook.
    singularitycnocbuikoopkamalwatt16Sgoldfish
  • Reply 38 of 121
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    This reads a lot like a "pay to play" review. 
    Its as though Samsung made him promises to sing exactly everything they could that Apple has advertised as exemplary features on the iPhone. To ding the 6S+ camera is what gave it away. The Samsung doesn't have auto focusing optics. That was a dead give away. 
  • Reply 39 of 121
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    ceek74 said:
    "He did wish for more wiz-bang features, however, like USB-C or a Samsung take on Apple's 3D Touch."  Don't worry, Sammy's copy machines are working overtime on it.  And since there's absolutely no worry of patent enforcement, it'll be a lot sooner than later.
    Every one here forgot there is a biggest copycat in Android, Google.  I believe 3D Touch belong to the operating system level.  Samsung could not copy it and has to wait for Google smartasses to implement in next Android OS. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 40 of 121
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    sog35 said:

All the proof you need that the poor/uneducated prefer Samsung phones:

msantti said:
    We need 4k on phones. Dang pixels on the Note 4 are gouging my eyes out;

Butt hurt a little?
    singularityAI2xxx6Sgoldfish