Apple flies original Mac team's pirate flag for company's 40th anniversary

Posted:
in General Discussion
Marking the 40th anniversary of the company's founding, Apple on Friday flew a pirate flag over its Cupertino headquarters, in a tribute to the first-generation Macintosh team headed by company co-founder Steve Jobs.

Image Credit: Mohammed Jisrawi via Twitter
Image Credit: Mohammed Jisrawi via Twitter

The flag resembles a stereotypical pirate flag, with the notable difference of a rainbow Apple "eyepatch." It was originally hoisted by the Mac team in 1983, sewn together by programmer Steve Capps with an emblem painted by graphic designer Susan Kare.

The gesture was a reference to a quote by Jobs, "It's better to be a pirate than join the navy," and also marked the Mac team's arrival in a new office building.

Awesome to see this flying over Apple for our 40th tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/MHazmzIusY

-- Michael Jurewitz (@Jury)

Apple first began celebrating its 40th at its March 21 press event, where it showed a tribute video, "40 Years in 40 Seconds." CEO Tim Cook also noted that it would probably be the last event held at its current headquarters Town Hall, since the company is hoping to move into its giant "Campus 2" space in early 2017. That facility includes a much larger 1,000-seat theater.

Apple periodically changes the flags flying over its headquarters, sometimes for variety, more rarely to send a message. It has, for instance, raised a Pride flag to show its backing for LGBT causes -- Cook himself has participated in the San Francisco Pride Parade.
macky the mackymwhitecornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Sweet
    macky the mackylostkiwiapple head
  • Reply 2 of 37
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    sog35 said:
    How insensitive of Apple.

Hundreds of innocent lives are lost each year at sea from Pirates around the world.

It is about non-conformity and not actual Piracy, but you knew that. Take you faux PC rage elsewhere.
    tallest skilpscooter63rhinotuffmessagepad2100stevehmwhitejustadcomicscnocbuinolamacguyapple head
  • Reply 3 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sog35 said:
    Pirates are basically the terrorist of the sea.
    What about the hundreds of millions of innocent dollars lost to the computer pirates for which Apple is solely responsible?

If we’re suing gun manufacturers for their products’ use in crime, why not sue Apple for creating the personal computer and letting all cybercrime happen?
    messagepad2100stevehlostkiwitdknox
  • Reply 4 of 37
    maccadmaccad Posts: 87member
    Hey sog35, I thought you were kidding with your first post, but apparently you're serious. I assume you've already taken Disney and Johnny Depp to task for "Pirates of the Carribean." Our fascination with pirates is a cultural thing that's understood by nearly everyone except you. Lighten up!
    macky the mackyrhinotuffmessagepad2100stevehmwhitejustadcomicslostkiwinolamacguyargonautcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 37
    sog35 said:

It is about non-conformity and not actual Piracy, but you knew that. Take you faux PC rage elsewhere.
    Would you be okay if the worlds most powerful company proudly waved a flag with criminal logos on it?
    All of the flags flown by the revolutionists during the struggle for American independence were deemed criminal by the British at the time... I'm proud how that turned out. 

I'm also amused at seeing Apple fly a symbol of their independence from status quo on this eve of "sticking it to the man" in their standing up against the FBI for human rights regarding privacy. 
    messagepad2100mwhitelostkiwiapple headargonautration alcornchipmoreckmnbob1afrodri
  • Reply 6 of 37
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    sog35 said:

Hundreds of innocent lives are lost each year at sea from Pirates around the world.
    I get the impression you're 12 years old from your posts, if you aren't you really need to grow up. 

What happened to your $150 by 2016 or bust thing anyway? I was hoping by bust you meant you'd quit AI's forums.
    rhinotuffmessagepad2100mwhitejustadcomicsnolamacguyargonautmoreckmnbob1afrodri
  • Reply 7 of 37
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I like that the video included the Newton and the spinning rainbow disc.
    edited April 2016 messagepad2100ai46nolamacguyapple headmnbob1
  • Reply 8 of 37
    uffenmanuffenman Posts: 48member
    sog35 said:

Hilarious...good humor
  • Reply 9 of 37
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    In the following rule of displaying the US flag, I wonder from which perspective "to the right of" refers to, facing the building from the street or looking out the window of the building.
     No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America

cullycornchip
  • Reply 10 of 37
    uffenmanuffenman Posts: 48member
    elijahg said:
    sog35 said:

I get the impression you're 12 years old from your posts, if you aren't you really need to grow up. 

What happened to your $150 by 2016 or bust thing anyway? I was hoping by bust you meant you'd quit AI's forums.
    Grow some balls and thicker skin.  If it's not a joke then assume it is.  Free speech is free.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 11 of 37
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    sog35 said:

You should share your opinion with @SusanKare. I'd love to see her customize the original Mac's 32x32 pixel hand icon just for you.
    justadcomicsvolcanmnbob1
  • Reply 12 of 37
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The Pirate people know is the "cultural" pirate of movies, books, Disney, etc.
    Same thing as the cowboy life, which was a brutal horrible life, but has been idealized through movies, tv, songs, etc.

When the myth becomes "fact", print the myth.
    edited April 2016 nolamacguyafrodri
  • Reply 13 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    sog35 said:

We can now add "whining troll" to describe you.

If we could raise a flag for you, it would be one with a pair of flip-flops.  It best describes your decision-making process.

Since it would take a small amount of effort to debate your idiotic statement, I've decided my time is better wasted at watching paint dry.  I'm sure you're used to that wherever you go.
    diplicationnolamacguycornchipmnbob1JanNLafrodrielijahg
  • Reply 14 of 37
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    NemWan said:
    sog35 said:

You should share your opinion with @SusanKare. I'd love to see her customize the original Mac's 32x32 pixel hand icon just for you.
    I assume this is what you meant.

mnbob1macky the macky
  • Reply 15 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    uffenman said:
    If it's not a joke then assume it is.
    That’s really pretty funny, but it engenders a culture of refusal to entertain any thoughts but your own.

EDIT: That’s really sticking with me. Smile to my face and everything. Thanks.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Love the "Liberty Valance" reference...
  • Reply 17 of 37
    40 years? Apple should re-release the famous "1984" commercial again, this time undoing the iPod and earbuds they added to Anya Majors and slapping an Apple Watch on her wrist instead.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Pretty cool! Speaking of pirates, I hope Black Sails season 3 shows up on the iTunes store soon. 
  • Reply 19 of 37
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    sog35 said:

Would you be okay if the worlds most powerful company proudly waved a flag with criminal logos on it?
    Sog it don't have anything to do with pirates as you say. It was the flag of the Macintosh development team.
    mnbob1
  • Reply 20 of 37
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Happy Birthday, Apple. You deserve all of the success that you've achieved. Every bit.
    mnbob1macky the macky