Bernie Sanders bemoans Apple's overseas supply chain, tax avoidance strategy

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    jdw said:

Registered Voters who refuse to votes 
    Every eligible voter needs to show up to the polling place if only to vote for your local water board, school superintendent, referendums, mayor, senate, congress persons, etc. It is not just about the presidential elections. If you don't vote you deserve everything you didn't vote for.
    jfc1138tallest skiljdwtokyojimu
  • Reply 42 of 82
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    volcan said:
    jdw said:

Registered Voters who refuse to votes 
    Every eligible voter needs to show up to the polling place if only to vote for your local water board, school superintendent, referendums, mayor, senate, congress persons, etc. It is not just about the presidential elections. If you don't vote you deserve everything you didn't vote for.
    That's right. I'll like to vote to legalize WEED in California...
    latifbpboltsfan17
  • Reply 43 of 82
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    proline said:
    Trump and Bernie are far from opposites. Both are populists- i.e. people who will say whatever their supports think even if they know it is false or impractical

Indeed. Apple is an easy target because the media piles this shit on every time. I wish AppleInsider would've been different and reiterate that Apple pays all the taxes it owes, which is 2.5% of ALL corporate taxes in the US.

http://www.imore.com/apple-already-pays-1-out-every-40-tax-dollars-us-collects-how-much-more-does-senate-want

From Apple's document: "The Company’s FY2012 total US federal cash effective tax rate was approximately 30.5%."

AI could’ve also mentioned that the US is one of the only countries in the world that wants to double-dip taxes. Apple makes most of its money elsewhere, it has been taxed where it was sold, but the US wants to tax money that has already been taxed upon, and at double the corporate rate of many of those countries. Maybe AI was lazy, maybe they assumed we all know this is the same old hogwash brought up almost 3 years ago when they dragged Cook to congress for the big show, with only one voice of reason out of that whole charade :

• Reply 44 of 82
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    We have a choice. Elect Gary Johnson. http://www.garyjohnson2016.com/
  • Reply 45 of 82
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    fallenjt said:
    Weed is already a legal incorporated city in California /s

Just joking. BTW marijuana is bad for your health no matter how you ingest it. You will eventually figure that out but take your time, no rush.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    cpsro said:
    Swift2 said:
    The Mac and the iOS stuff will not come back. If it does, however, it will be built by robots, like Liam, that can disassemble an iPhone in 12 seconds-- so it can build one. 100 sophistated robots working at machine speeds, this is enough to make all but the largest-selling models. 
    I'll think of Liam as more than just a one-off, 60-second marketing gimmick, when Apple shows off a roomful of Liams running 24x7 for months.
    When had Apple every given you the whole story? This is a company that built a special room to test the signals of phones that surprised the phone companies when the saw it 3 years later. 
  • Reply 47 of 82
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Tat1992 said:
    If you're that upset about it Bernie stop being for a taxation of about 70% of corporate income. Currently it's between 40 and 52% and you wonder why they are going overseas. I can't blame them. It may be what you call "greedy "however it's simply a business move. Why not go where you can make growth and offer more for research and development. It's their right as a company
    I can't stand Sanders but you're delusional in stating Corporate Income is currently between 40-52% when the effective Corporate Tax rate in this country is 12.5%.
    frankie
  • Reply 48 of 82
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    bells said:
    Bernie Sander's opinion is pretty much idiotic when his solution is to increase corporate tax rates to 50%.    You want to see companies keep their money over seas... vote Bernie because nobody will ever want to bring their money home with his tax plans to screw over businesses.  

Get rid of Free Trade Agreements and tax imports and they will have no choice but to bring the money home. 

With that said, while I admire Bernie, the problem is really with the government. The government's job is to pass laws. If governments don't like a practice, pass a law to change it. 

Apple has had its tax practices in place for twenty years. While it is clear the practice is to avoid paying taxes, it isn't illegal. 
    Of course which is why Bernie wants to change the laws and stop the lobbying.  That's his entire platform and a freaking good one at that.

Or we can just continue the buying of our entire government only represent the multi-billion dollar companies even though profits to wage ratio has never been high in US history and watch while we fall into a 3rd world country and the planet goes up in flames.

stourque
  • Reply 49 of 82
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member

fallenjt said:
    Mr. Bernie Sanders (B.S), please focus on your campaign since you're trailing so far.
    He is and this is part of it.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    designr said:

Voting ain't going to get us out of this mess.

You are both right and wrong.

You are wrong insofar as if most people voted for say, Gary Johnson, he would be elected.  The same held true if America had supported Liberty-minded Ron Paul in the past or even his son Rand.  But Americans didn't vote for them, they cast votes elsewhere.  And that is where you are right.  If Americans continue to vote along party-lines (never thinking outside the box), nothing will change.

True change results from 2 things:

1. All registered voters voting.
    2. Registered voters exercising wisdom and educated discretion in their voting.

Voting is needed but alone it isn't the magic cure.  You must vote with a sound mind.  Don't worry about the other guy.  Just get your mind in order and then vote!  (If you are still confused, just vote with Liberty as the paramount issue, and you'll probably do okay.)

DISCLAIMER:  I am not a Libertarian or Anarchist.  I am simply an American who knows freedom is the answer.  Our forefathers fought and died for it.  It's therefore our responsibility to ensure freedom continues to reign.  We need to stop blaming Apple, corporations, Liberals, Conservatives, etc. and start getting our house in order.
    designr
  • Reply 51 of 82
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    And serial bankruptee
    4 out of hundreds, most of which during the 2008 collapse, and all done as restructuring. What's your company success to failure rate, after all?
    Trump has had more high profile failures than successes. Most were financed with other people's money and the only one around 2008 was if ill fated magazine that was for rich people anyway so it should have been fine if not mismanaged like his Trump Steakhouse in Las Vegas being closed down in 2012 for 51 health code violations, including serving five-month old duck. You could finally become successful if you had a million dollar cash loan to get started and were heir to 200 million. Bankers were giving him 10-20 million to invest in deals even though he had bankrupted 6 or 7 businesses already. He was set in 99 when his dad died and he had all his assets.  Here are a few of his ups and downs with dates. 
    http://time.com/3988970/donald-trump-business/
    edited April 2016 waverboyfrankiestourque
  • Reply 52 of 82
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Tat1992 said:
    If you're that upset about it Bernie stop being for a taxation of about 70% of corporate income. Currently it's between 40 and 52% and you wonder why they are going overseas. I can't blame them. It may be what you call "greedy "however it's simply a business move. Why not go where you can make growth and offer more for research and development. It's their right as a company
    I think you are a bit hyperbolic on those tax numbers: http://www.forbes.com/sites/taxanalysts/2015/03/25/the-truth-about-corporate-tax-rates/#42eefbd720a5
  • Reply 53 of 82
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    I do wish that they would not be trying to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.
    Who are you to decide what is fair and why, though?
    Isn't that what elected officials and lawmakers do? Deciding the law of the land thus deciding what is fair?
  • Reply 54 of 82
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    tzeshan said:
    Fair share of taxes?  Good point.  Apple has hundreds of billions dollars profit parked in overseas.  Is US completely entitled to tax it?  I think this is a big question.  The problem is Apple makes the money not from selling products to Americans but to foreign country.  I think the tax code in this global economy is outdated.  
    The U.S. shouldn't be entitled to taxes from profits Apple earned overseas. Apple already pays the appropriate taxes in each country they do business in. The U.S. isn't entitled to any of that money. We do need to overhaul our tax code here in the U.S., but to suggest countries should be able to start collecting taxes from money earned in other countries is absurd. 
    jony0
  • Reply 55 of 82
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    First year I won't be voting since I was eligible to vote. 
    There's local and state elections that could benefit from your vote even were you to decline regarding the presidential one. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 56 of 82
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    fallenjt said:
    volcan said:
    I'm hoping initiative #15-0103 makes it to the ballot this November. 
  • Reply 57 of 82
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    "Sanders didn't go so far as to say the company (Apple) was one of the corporate fat cats "destroying the fabric of America,"
    No. In fact he actually said that Apple was NOT one of the fat cats destroying the fabric of America. I mean; you just said so in your very next sentence, Mikey.

Did Sanders also NOT say that Martians come from Uranus, and poop chocolate chip cookies? Well, then since he didn't, I guess you should have mentioned that too.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 58 of 82
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Morons. Define "fair share". 25% seems fair, especially with all the jobs they've created. 
    jony0
  • Reply 59 of 82
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    There was a video that I saw recently which has commie Bernie praising breadlines and food rationing.

He's a complete commie lunatic and has no chance at all. As much as I despise Hillary, the fix is already in for her, and Bernie is going nowhere.

tallest skiljonl
  • Reply 60 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    foggyhill said:
    Bernie boy and Trump think EXACTLY alike and are peddling the same BS.
    Literally as far opposite as possible on economic issues, extremely far apart on the amount of control exerted by the government, and quite far apart on social issues.

Gotta read up on them before saying things.