This week on AI: New MacBooks, losing Bill Campbell, BMW & Daimler 'Apple Car' talks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
There was no shortage of headlines this week, with Apple launching new MacBooks, announcing WWDC 2016, and letting slip more details about its electric car project. A long-time but recently retired Apple board member, Bill Campbell, died on Monday.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• The 2016 12-inch MacBooks sport Skylake CPUs and better battery life > >
  • Bill Campbell died of cancer at the age of 75 > >
  • WWDC 2016 will start on June 13 > >
  • The 13-inch MacBook Air got upgraded to 8 gigabytes of RAM standard > >
  • The Chinese goverment shut down iBooks and iTunes Movies sales > >
  • User data issues may have derailed "Apple Car" talks with BMW and Daimler > >
  • AppleInsider took a first look at the new MacBook > >

For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

Apple launches new 12" MacBooks with Intel Skylake CPUs, rose gold color & longer battery life

Longtime Apple advisor, board member Bill Campbell dies at 75

Apple confirms WWDC 2016 kicks off on June 13, opens ticket registration

Apple's 13" MacBook Air gets 8GB RAM as standard

Apple's iTunes Movies and iBooks Store shuttered by Chinese state agency, report confirms

Rumor: Control of user data railroaded 'Project Titan' talks between Apple and BMW, Daimler

Apple Pay goes live in Singapore with American Express integration, Visa coming soon

First look: Apple's new rose gold 12" MacBook with Intel Skylake CPU

Apple runs secret car lab in Berlin with 15-20 employees, report says

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I apologize for sounding like a troll. I'm not. I was genuinely looking for more info on the new MB. Specifics like benchmarks, video resolutions supported, usb-c mode support. I listened to about half the podcast, didn't hear anything that wasn't part of the announcement headlines. The comments about the mac mini, and the mis information about it's last update, 1 year ago, made me realize I was wasting my time listening. If AI, one of the best Apple news sites around are going to to do a podcast you need to dig a little deeper.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Actually, guys, China *does* have computer doctors who make house calls to install RAM modules, upgrade software, etc. Costs around ¥100 (US$15). Cannot say whether they use a scooter or the subway, but after-hours appointments suggests they do this as a second job.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    I apologize for sounding like a troll. I'm not. I was genuinely looking for more info on the new MB. Specifics like benchmarks, video resolutions supported, usb-c mode support. I listened to about half the podcast, didn't hear anything that wasn't part of the announcement headlines. The comments about the mac mini, and the mis information about it's last update, 1 year ago, made me realize I was wasting my time listening. If AI, one of the best Apple news sites around are going to to do a podcast you need to dig a little deeper.
    I'm sorry you felt you weren't well-served by this.

No one had time to benchmark the thing when we recorded. No one had one in hand.

It's a 12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology

2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors

16:10 aspect ratio

Supported scaled resolutions:

• 1440 by 900
    • 1280 by 800
    • 1024 by 640
    In terms of USB-C, it's got support for USB-C port with support for:

Charging

USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)

Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output

VGA output using USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter (sold separately)

HDMI video output using USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (sold separately)

That's about the same as last time, although internally, the cable is now perma-fixed to the USB board, condensing the two components into a single unit.

• Intel SR2EN Intel Core m3-6Y30 Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.20 GHz)

• Toshiba TH58TFT0DFKLAVF 128 GB MLC NAND Flash (+ 128 GB on the reverse side for a total of 256 GB)

• Micron MT41K256M16LY-107 4Gb DDR3L SDRAM

• Universal Scientific Industrial 339S0250 Wi-Fi Module

• Broadcom BCM15700A2 (as seen in several other MacBook models)

• National Semiconductor 48B1-11

• F4432ACPE-GD-F

• Toshiba TH58TFT0DFKLAVF 128 GB MLC NAND Flash

• Samsung K3QF4F4 4 GB LPDDR3 RAM (x2, for a total of 8 GB)

• Apple 338S00066 (Likely an iteration of the 338S00055 SSD controller found in the 2015 Retina MacBook)

• Texas Instruments/Stellaris LM4FS1EHSMC Controller (Replacement codename for TM4EA231)

• SMSC 1704-2 Temperature Sensor

• Texas Instruments SN650839

• Texas Instruments TPS51980A

Is a list of the relevant chips on the logic board. I'm not sure which part of that is the most interesting to you (you didn't really say), but there you have it. It's a faster Macbook, and if you value retina and lightness, you should consider getting one.