Microsoft lets new Word Flow keyboard loose on the App Store with one-handed mode

Posted:
in iPhone
Those who have a fondness for customizing their iPhone keyboard can now do so in a Microsoft-approved fashion with the Redmond software giant's new Word Flow keyboard for iOS.

Word Flow is an adaptation -- importantly, not a straight port -- of Windows Phone's own keyboard of the same name. Like its Metro-styled counterpart, Word Flow for iOS sports gesture-based text entry and predictive text.

The Apple-sanctioned version takes its own path with a new Arc mode, designed to be used with one hand. This layout fans the keyboard out in a quarter circle pattern pinned to the edge of the iPhone, which Microsoft envisions users reaching entirely with their thumb.

Microsoft has also baked in special customization options for iPhone owners. The keyboard ships with several distinct visual themes to choose from, and users can specify their own background images if Microsoft's set don't make the cut.

Word Flow is available only in U.S. English for now, and there is no word on when -- or even if -- additional languages might ship. The keyboard is a free, 70.7-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I don't know if it is the key spacing or just the fluidness of the the original keyboard but I mistype / miss keys far more on third party keyboards than the original. This one included.
    aaron sorensonbadmonk
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I don't know if it is the key spacing or just the fluidness of the the original keyboard but I mistype / miss keys far more on third party keyboards than the original. This one included.
    True that... how about make your own phone better MS, or scrap it like sega and make some more games your not the worst at that!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I never got past the warning that everything typed on the keyboard would be sent to MS. Uninstalled immediately. Too bad too. I really liked the premise of the angled keyboard for one-handed typing and wanted to give it a try. Oh well.
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    mike1 said:
    I never got past the warning that everything typed on the keyboard would be sent to MS. Uninstalled immediately. Too bad too. I really liked the premise of the angled keyboard for one-handed typing and wanted to give it a try. Oh well.
    So nothing you ever say to Siri ever gets sent to Apple?
    singularitydouglas bailey
  • Reply 5 of 12
    They really need a better design on switching keyboards. Amazed at how bad it is from a usability standpoint.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I have an idea to make keyboard much better.  The voice input can type several times faster than touching the keys on the screen.  The problem is some of the text voice input can not understand and you have to type it manually.  My solution is to create a mode of keyboard which lets voice input always.  Your voice and manual input acts like a switching command.  I wish Apple already this idea and will bring it to iOS 10.  
  • Reply 7 of 12
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member
    cnocbui said:
    mike1 said:
    There is a big difference between the stuff I ask Siri (e.g. "What's the weather?" "What's playing at the movies?") and stuff I type on a keyboard (e.g. passwords, personal information, legally protected trade secrets, etc...)
    Rayz2016calibestkeptsecretmike1
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cnocbui said:
    mike1 said:
    That was so desperate I actually felt sorry for you. 
    calibestkeptsecretmike1
  • Reply 9 of 12
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    cnocbui said:
    mike1 said:

not quite the same, I learned recently If you are a PC user and use IE for all your webstuff including Google for searching MS said they keep ever things you do in IE on their servers for at least 18 months. This was part of the reason Google came up with chrome, they did not want MS collecting the same data was google was. BTW Google captures everything you do in Chrome as well.

I not a one handed typer, but I like what they did here, but not surprise they collecting everything you type.

bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 10 of 12
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    mike1 said:
    Looks like Appleinsider is really very Apple die-hards destination :)

Reading about this keyboard over at Macrumors, it almost sounds like completely different product is being discussed. Including this part:

"...keyboard features like auto correction and word prediction are included, with options to enable or disable a word learning feature that improves word predictions by sending keyboard usage information to Microsoft".

Interesting.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

True that... how about make your own phone better MS, or scrap it like sega and make some more games your not the worst at that!
    Well, it is general consensus that all current phones are last remainings of Nokia's design effort.

End of this year, MS should release Surface Phone, designed by Surface team (which is lead by Panos Panay, probably the most charismatic figure MS ever had). I think he did say once that they will do phone only if they have right ideas to do something new and different. Since phones have fallen under Panay's jurisdiction since then, I'm hoping that means that Surface Phone design & development is on it's way. There are also rumors that Intel is into this project - a new low power x86 parts, or first non-x86 design from Intel? We'll see.

Much as my prediction goes, Surface Phone will be high-end, while Lumia line will be kept (and updated) for mid-range and low-end devices... eventually, they might end up being low-end only. Sort of like what Nokia Asha line was.

The other thing my belief that MS is not dropping Windows Phone is based on is that WP10 is going through very aggressive development - since I have installed it on my Lumia 830, it had 2 or 3 big updates already. It started off glitchy but at this stage I already don't see any visible bugs and glithes - it is stable, smooth and does what is expected. Some apps look unfinished, such as new Maps app which replaces Here apps (and merges their functionality into one app). It is stable and functional but design seems to be a bit of work in progress, some inconsistencies in GUI are present... anyway, with those efforts and universal apps/continuum, it would be very strange if MS would drop phones - the only devices that would get benefits from these technologies.

If there is no Surface phone, MS actually might drop WP platform. Obviously Lumias have lost appeal (probably support from Nokia's supporters, too) once MS completely took over from Nokia. So... what you said probably will happen, one or the other. Better Win phones, or no Win phones :)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cnocbui said:
    mike1 said:

Siri data is used to improve voice recognition and the whole experience.

It isn't being sold off to 3rd parties like android.

pretty basic stuff.
    bestkeptsecreticoco3