US Supreme Court approves search warrants for computers in any jurisdiction

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    TomE said:
    "The Network is the computer".  - Considering this statement, it opens virtually everything to search.
    Search the NSA's computer and I am sure they will find everything they need.
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Did all of the Justices approve this or was there any sane dissenting opinions? Tech is evolving so fast that the concept of warrants on perishable and someday unbreakable quantium communications apps are going to make this ruling and other mute! Of course the 'bad actors' can always do the ultimate security act by 'going dark' and off of any electronic communiaction means. If LE is looking for an ultimate weapon against criminals it will never find one as it will never exist. There's such a vast array of data that is non-explored due to its sheer volume, what is to make us think that merely getting access to more and more data will allow analysts to find an increasingly difficult to locate 'needle in the haystck'?
  • Reply 23 of 27
    maestro64 said:

Wow the supreme court is now making rules, talking about legislating from the bench. This shows you how out of control the entire 3 branches of government are these days.

I agree electronic activated they need not have jurisdiction battle going on and it is too had to get warrants in multiply places at the same time and execute them at the same time. However this is something the congress and president are suppose to decide not the Supreme court.

Our Founding Fathers set up our government the way they did on purpose. It's not supposed to be easy to pass laws and get warrants. But you are right, the job of the Supreme Court is not to pass law or make law. They're only supposed to be the final say in any given court case that makes it to them. Whenever you hear the President make a fuss about how it's hard to get anything done in congress, we should all be smiling and thanking the people who founded this country. 
    Unfortunately, the side effect of our governmental layers and checks and balances, however well intentioned the Founding Fathers were, is that it takes us FOREVER to get things done that other countries seem to accomplish much more easily. It's why we still don't have high-speed rail crisscrossing the country (and probably never will) and why we have such a hard time getting large public works projects finished. 

When other countries see a need for something that's in the public good, they can ram it through. We can't do that here unless we pass laws to temporarily suspend some of our civil rights. That's why it always takes a national disaster here to get anything done on schedule. 

I'm just saying... You take the good with the bad. Nothing's perfect. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    maestro64 said:

Wow the supreme court is now making rules, talking about legislating from the bench. This shows you how out of control the entire 3 branches of government are these days.

I agree electronic activated they need not have jurisdiction battle going on and it is too had to get warrants in multiply places at the same time and execute them at the same time. However this is something the congress and president are suppose to decide not the Supreme court.

If you read the article you'd see that's exactly what SCOTUS said. The change has to be made by legislative action and barring any interest in doing so the law is currently understood to permit these types of warrants. So SCOTUS isn't legislating. On the contrary they're putting the bodies tasked with it on notice to do their job and make the necessary legislative changes to the law in a timely fashion.  If that's not what "we the people" want then our elected representatives need to make it clear with laws that restrict it. SCOTUS is only interpreting.
    edited April 2016 kermit4krazy
  • Reply 25 of 27
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    mike1 said:
    I'm concerned with law enforcement finding a sympathetic judge anywhere in the country to authorize the warrant.
    I smell new business for East Texas...
    cornchip
  • Reply 26 of 27
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    ziPRR said:
    This is a gross overreach of our judicial system. There's a reason jurisdiction exists.
    OMG, they are going to look into our insides !

Well lets see now, which very tiny flash memory device would be best for my computing device data security?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    The ruling has to be smart. If not then it exposes judges to rediculing. Why? I can see foreign country showing middle finger to warrants like this. Perhaps it is smart to keep jurisdictions in place just for sake of being reasonable. States are for reason and that is not to override other states.