Touch ID, OLED touch bar to highlight thinner MacBook Pro models in Q4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    What is an OLED display touch bar?
    That question is 99% of the reason I opened up this thread. I can't think of a non-gimmicky reason to have that feature. And since I know Apple doesn't do gimmicks, I'm intrigued. And flummoxed!

Hmm, maybe somehow part of a gesture-based interface?
    I'm always curious when the word gimmick is thrown around. Is there an objective definition of gimmick? I've heard Touch ID, force touch, 3D Touch and Live Photos all referred to as gimmicks. It seems like people complain when Apple doesn't do anything new but yet then when they do it's called a gimmick.
    williamlondonurahara
  • Reply 22 of 65
    That question is 99% of the reason I opened up this thread. I can't think of a non-gimmicky reason to have that feature. And since I know Apple doesn't do gimmicks, I'm intrigued. And flummoxed!

I'm always curious when the word gimmick is thrown around. Is there an objective definition of gimmick? I've heard Touch ID, force touch, 3D Touch and Live Photos all referred to as gimmicks. It seems like people complain when Apple doesn't do anything new but yet then when they do it's called a gimmick.
    I think most people would define gimmick as something that seems cool/interesting, but in reality isn't actually useful. For instance, Touch ID is incredible and useful (not a gimmick); samsung's crappy imitation, where you have to swipe down just so is not useful (therefore a gimmick).

It seems like you spend a lot of time listening to the haters that will try to frame anything Apple does as a gimmick. They are just bitter, petty people trying desperately to feel superior.
    lostkiwiredgeminipa
  • Reply 23 of 65
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    jayinsf said:
    If the new MacBook Pros hav USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, I would expect the traditional Thunderbolt ports to be ditched in favor of Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C. https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

It doesn't make sense to maintain a different Thunderbolt port and USB-C when the standard is for USB-C to carry Thunderbolt 3. I would instead expect the usual complement of $30 adapters to the current mini-DisplayPort connectors. 
    I hope it will have separate USB-C and Thunderbolt ports.  I hate these $30 adapters, they are needlessly expensive and I have to carry them with me everywhere I go, which I forget at least once a month. 
    cnocbuibaconstang
  • Reply 24 of 65
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I  read  "informed insider" and almost went straight into a coma... For me Kao is taking the piss out of all of us and people drink from the "fountain".
    Q4 is Christmas time right? To hell with that time frame!
    Q4 for Apple is July-September. It would probably be announced soon if they want it in store for the school reentry.
    edited May 2016 macpluspluspulseimages
  • Reply 25 of 65
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    According to paragraph 3,

"In addition, an 'OLED display touch bar' is earmarked for integration and will replace physical function keys located above the laptop's QWERTY keyboard."

patchythepirate
  • Reply 26 of 65
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

Surely you have applications that use function keys but you don't use them due to lack of remembering what the hell each key represents; this would fix that, in theory anyway.  Developers would still have to update their applications to take advantage of it. Numbers and Pages would be prime candidates to demonstrate the touch bar, should this feature actually show up.

Me, I never had much need for a Mac Book Pro, but TB 3 and a 14 nm process for the now late processor upgrade tells me that battery life will be maintained with a better than normal speed bump. I might consider purchase if Apple delivers a reasonably priced 4k/5k cinema display.
    liketheskypatchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 65
    welshdog said:
    Agreed. MagSafe is, dare I say it - beloved. Removing it from the MBPs would upset a lot of users. 
    What makes you concerned that Apple might?
    Have you seen the 12" Retina MacBook?
    cnocbuibaconstangliketheskypscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 65
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    And about bloody time too! Hurrah!
  • Reply 29 of 65
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member
    i do not understand this thinnest craze Apple has been on for the computer line up. Many years ago, Steve Jobs started the thinnest craze because he liked the Sony VAIO notebooks design. Today, that craze is out of date. What Apple has done is use that thinnest mandate into creating laptops that the customer can not upgrade (the RAM, Hard Drives or battery) when and if needed. This makes it easier for Apple to manufacture these laptops and really overcharge the customer for those components I listed earlier. Apple has also eliminated the internal optical drive and ethernet port because of the thinnest craze. As a matter of fact, I think Sony is not making computers anymore or at least I have not seen one in a long time. If I am going to spend 2 to 3 thousand dollars on a laptop, I should get what I want not what Apple dictates. 
    kernapsterdocno42
  • Reply 30 of 65
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    I can guess that "will replace physical function keys" means that an OLED stripe will be above QWERTY keybeard. And on this OLED touch display there will be function keys as F1, F2...F12 etc.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 31 of 65
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Q4 is Christmas time right? To hell with that time frame!
    Q4 is September time frame I believe. Apple's quarters are not Jan-Mar Q1, Apr-Jun Q2, etc.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    i do not understand this thinnest craze Apple has been on for the computer line up. Many years ago, Steve Jobs started the thinnest craze because he liked the Sony VAIO notebooks design. Today, that craze is out of date. What Apple has done is use that thinnest mandate into creating laptops that the customer can not upgrade (the RAM, Hard Drives or battery) when and if needed. This makes it easier for Apple to manufacture these laptops and really overcharge the customer for those components I listed earlier. Apple has also eliminated the internal optical drive and ethernet port because of the thinnest craze. As a matter of fact, I think Sony is not making computers anymore or at least I have not seen one in a long time. If I am going to spend 2 to 3 thousand dollars on a laptop, I should get what I want not what Apple dictates. 
    What you want is a Windows Laptop. So many configurations to choose from. Buy what you want! Come back a year later and tell us how it's going ;)

I have an early 2011 MBP 15".
    CD drive. Haven't used it in years. 
    Ethernet. Nope. Wifi. Yes
    MagSafe : not really attached to it.
    USB ports: slowly moving to other connectivity - wifi sync, bluetooth, networked printer, NAS. 

best thing about the MBP, it still runs perfectly five years on. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 65
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    welshdog said:
    Agreed. MagSafe is, dare I say it - beloved. Removing it from the MBPs would upset a lot of users. 
    What makes you concerned that Apple might?
    They've already done this on one laptop (MacBook) and used USB-C for charging. It would be the dumbest thing they've ever done in quite a long time if something like this did happen. I work in a school and I can't tell you how many times its saved a MacBook Pro from flying off the table and users love the MagSafe connector and ask me all the time why other products from other manufacturers don't use this. That being said I don't expect them to do this. I think they only did it on the MacBook because it cannot make a product that thin and use a MagSafe connector and the MacBook isn't really designed to be constantly plugged in and used as a regular everyday Mac on a table. Its thin and portable for a reason.
    edited May 2016 liketheskypalomine
  • Reply 34 of 65
    My Apple Barclaycard is ready to use in a tax-free state ;-)
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Get on with it Apple. We all know there is skylake and tb3. I need a real keyboard to work. Apple you are not going to solve that input tech barrier today, so roll out machines that allow work to get done without the bling. Students like bling, and that may be a major market for you, but guess what, they graduate to the world of work, and so should Apple if they want to keep my loyalty. 
  • Reply 36 of 65
    So, is the Ming-Chi Kuo only one allowed to spill the beans when Apple checks employees bags etc when entering their building?

This reduces freshness of new products and surprise factor.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Apple's obsession with thinness is getting ridiculous, if they were girls, they'd all be anorexic...
    ...and instead of top performance we get second or thirds tier components that fit into the cooling capacity of these overly thin devices, and we have systems that under heavy load randomly slow down because the CPU gets throttled because it otherwise would overheat.
    It is one thing to strive for thinning when laptops are the size of an NYC phone book, it's a different thing to try to make them thinner when they already cut uncomfortably into your hands if you carry them for a while, and they start to flex noticeably.
    Apple is on the same evolutionary dead end as peacocks with their ever longer and ever shinier feathers which may attract mates, but otherwise are simply a useless hindrance.
    kernapsterdocno42
  • Reply 38 of 65
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member

Easy: it's thinner than keys. Since function keys aren't part of the touch typing routine, they can be made less tactile to save space; and by using an OLED display, as you press fn, alt, ctrl, shift the touch strip can show the actual function being performed.
    Further, things like volume and brightness can be implemented as virtual sliders instead of buttons for up and down.
    And lastly, marketing can announce it as a breakthrough novelty...
    The space gained by having one less row of physical keys means more space for electronics and batteries 
    edited May 2016 williamlondonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 39 of 65
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member

To help keep thickness at a minimum, Apple plans to employ low-rise butterfly mechanism switches
    This makes me sad. It's the only thing I dislike about my MacBook. I was planning on going back to the Pros if they kept the old keyboard.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    non_sensenon_sense Posts: 12member
    Q4 ended Sep 26, 2015 last year, so maybe this summer if the rumor is in apple quarters and not calendar quarters.