Apple looks to debut Siri SDK at WWDC, developing Amazon Echo competitor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    My number one wish for iOS 10
    is a revamped Siri. I also want to see it opened up for development like Will.i.am's AneedA which I've surprisingly been digging. Basically developers can add "skills" to the voice assistant making her more intelligent in specific topics. Or they could acquire AneedA ;)

If Apple DOES create an Echo competitor it will be the first copycat device I've seen from them in the past 2 decades. But be sure that it will look, act, feel nothing like Echo if this rumor is true. They will pave their own path and create the first successful home AI assistant.

I believe Beats Pill already outsells Echo so
    Apple could potentially outsells the entire market in a matter of weeks or even on launch day.

Apple TV intergration is too obvious. Click Siri Remote, Speak.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    Apple's SDK is expected to come with basic query-answer requirements like a generic search term box that would be populated via Siri's voice recognition module. For example, a user might request a taxi service by telling Siri, "get me a ride home," which could trigger an Uber reservation.
    The one doesn't imply the other, and any current text input field can do Siri dictation.

Watch the recent demo for Viv and pay close attention to the service clouds where they teach Viv new actions. Somehow, you've got to have an app register a service that tells Siri what words, concepts, and actions that app understands, and have Siri break the request down into actionable segments.

Doing, "Siri, get me ride home" is one thing. Saying, "Siri, I need a ride for 5 people here in 30 minutes" is quite another. The later adds a time element and how does Siri interface with the app to know that with 5 people you're going to need an UberXL and not just an Uber?
    patchythepiratecalidoozydozentdknoxwaverboy
  • Reply 23 of 52
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    entropys said:
    Before a select few commenters call foul if the device is not a souped-up Apple TV, ponder the obvious: what price point would this mythical Apple TV hit when you need to include a loud speaker, multiple microphones, maybe a glowing light, and other relevant tech? Surely it could not be kept at $149. Wouldn't the additional tech price the Apple TV out of the market? I believe so.
    I would see it as a cheap extender of an apple tv.  The apple Tv would give it extra functionality, and act as the hub for homekit and as an iTunes/photos server.  The apple Tv could not do this now. in fact apple are probably stupid enough to require a mac to be running and consuming power to properly operate these.  
    The 4th gen Apple TV already has some HomeKit hub functionality. https://www.apple.com/ios/homekit/
  • Reply 24 of 52
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    eightzero said:
    Gads, more @internetofshit. I've got Siri right here on my Apple Watch, and it is hardly ever useful. Much of the time it responds with "continue on iPhone." Well, if I wanted to do that, I would have started right there. 

About the only thing I can see Siri useful for is where you simply can't look at a screen. And that is available in CarPlay.

Siri has been around for 5 years? Gotta say it is one of the more disappointing Apple products I have. 
    I've always thought that Siri would be useful in these Echo type boxes. On my iPhone I just launch a weather app, I don't ask "will it rain tomorrow" but in the abscence of that option it would make sense to use Siri, particularly if it can do more - like control the house light etc. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 25 of 52
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    My guess is this will also be a music player/speaker.  Could be useful. 
  • Reply 26 of 52
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Agree, it must first & foremost be an Airplay enabled speaker, Siri beacon/home automaton second.

It would tie in better with AppleMusic.  Once people saw its simplicity, the stage would be set for discovering the device's home automation appeal later.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 27 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    badmonk said:
    Agree, it must first & foremost be an Airplay enabled speaker, Siri beacon/home automaton second.

It would tie in better with AppleMusic.  Once people saw its simplicity, the stage would be set for discovering the device's home automation appeal later.
    That's the same route another tech is taking with their "Echo" competing home controller, good music quality first and foremost. 
  • Reply 28 of 52
    I'd love to see an Apple Speaker based on this design:

edited May 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 29 of 52
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    badmonk said:

I wonder how necessary a separate hardware speaker is really.

soon you'll be able to say "Siri turn on AC" on your iPhone. Why need a piece of hardware that sits in a specific room?

I don't doubt Apple and this is probably a problem they're working on. The speaker needs to be unique from iPhone Siri.
    The reason Alexa works for Amazon is because no one has an Amazon phone.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Before a select few commenters call foul if the device is not a souped-up Apple TV, ponder the obvious: what price point would this mythical Apple TV hit when you need to include a loud speaker, multiple microphones, maybe a glowing light, and other relevant tech? Surely it could not be kept at $149. Wouldn't the additional tech price the Apple TV out of the market? I believe so.
    I've said many times in the past, why doesn't Apple release a Kinect type device. A Mic array with a Camera that will plug into the AppleTV, which has a USB-C type port now. Now you have SIRI support, along with Facetime, I'm not sure at this point if you need to use the Apple Remote and Push the SIRI button, or just be voice activated, though that's a little big brother. Maybe make it a choice. This would also create even better support for Homekit. Use the Camera/Mic setup ,or your AppleTV Remote to do Homekit. Apple could also release a Stand Alone unit. This way you have a couple choices and can spread Mic Array's around your house and have SIRI everywhere. Apple really needs to kick it into gear.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    hmlongco said:

Watch the recent demo for Viv and pay close attention to the service clouds where they teach Viv new actions. Somehow, you've got to have an app register a service that tells Siri what words, concepts, and actions that app understands, and have Siri break the request down into actionable segments.
    You said it best, I imagine. Thanks for being up the potential elephant in the room. It's easy to assume next generation Siri will be very much like Viv. Especially if the upcoming Siri developer's kit functions similarly to Viv. The only meaningful difference will be platform availability. Siri limited to Apple's ecosystem, of course, whereas Viv will be platform agnostic. Tho Viv sounds innovative, it's hard to imagine that after Apple updates Siri (in a big way) that Viv could be anything other than dead-on-arrival. Why would android developers flock to Viv when Google Now has made meaningful advances? Same will be said from Apple developers soon enough.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Surely if Siri is to become a standalone interface then the design reference to use is the Star Trek comms badge!
    Having a fixed set of speakers seems like a non-starter to me, Siri shouldn't have to work out who the user is and a set of speakers could be anyone.

or in other words.
    Reinvent the iPod shuffle give it wifi HaLow (or  lte cat-0 as an upsell then again that might be next year lte-m)*.
    Let it stream music from iCloud, AppleMusic or any of my Devices.
    Let it acts as wireless headphones from any of my devices while in wifi range.
    Let it connect direct to Facetime Audio for talking to others on facetime.
    Drop the headphone port use Lightening port and let it charge off the phone.

Apple SiriPOD 
    then if you really wanted a fixed set of speakers then any current iPod compatible will work.

*lower power lte would need to me bigger commitment for Apple to work. Like a full revamp of Airport hardware to create local consumer hot spot. Also bigger carrier support for eSIM (or eAppleSIM) so might be second gen not first.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I know it's not going to happen, but it would be great if Apple released a series of HomeKit devices to really accelerate the home automation market. The current range of devices is not only limited, but I get the impression they're far larger than they need to be. (E.g. the electrical socket devices are quite large for what they do.)
    patchythepiratecali
  • Reply 34 of 52
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Hey, as long as SiriSpeak(er) understands that two claps means toggle the lights, I'm in.
    rhonin
  • Reply 35 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Hey, as long as SiriSpeak(er) understands that two claps means toggle the lights, I'm in.
    Thought you were the one posting your concern over these "listening" devices just a couple days back? Maybe I confused you with someone else. 
  • Reply 36 of 52
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Apple is going to introduce iGlyph, a personal maid in the form of floating orb that can follow you anywhere in the house, taking order and programmable to do house chore like cleaning (by sending command to Apple Vacuum, cooking simple meal by sending command to Apple Fridge+Apple Microwave and turning on/off lights/AC/heater/entertainment center, etc). The device also capable of video security, learning piano and taking photo.

I guess there is fantasy and there is reality. HomeKit is not even a baby, it's more like an embryo. But it's a nice start, just don't expect it to live our own fantasy up.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    toukaletoukale Posts: 38member
    The Siri api was suppose to launch last year with ios9. Mark Gurman of 9to5Mac reported about it in his March 2015 piece. http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/27/apples-proactive-to-take-on-google-now-with-deep-ios-9-search-augmented-reality-maps-siri-api/
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 38 of 52
    gameboy70gameboy70 Posts: 20member
    clemynx said:
    I'm baffled. Why couldn't Apple integrate those functions in the Apple TV? Doesn't make sense.
    You're either wasting an HDMI port when using it in a room without a TV, or you're wasting a speaker/mic array that has to listen for commands over the din of your TV's speakers. If Apple were going to retrofit an existing product, it would make more sense to do it with an Airplay-enabled Airport Extreme.
    cali
  • Reply 39 of 52
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Siri, will this new Beats Pill Siri Gizmo be a big hit?
    • Sorry, I cannot take requests right now. Please try again later
    • There’s something wrong and I can’t answer your question right now. Please try again in a little while
    • I’m really sorry about this but I can’t take any requests right now. Please try again later
    • Sorry, I’m having trouble connecting to the network
  • Reply 40 of 52
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    Can't wait for the AI review when/if it comes out.

Looking at you @nhughes ; B)

nhughes