iOS 10 will allow deleting first-party apps cluttering homescreens

Posted:
in iPhone
Answering a long-standing complaint, iOS 10 will finally let people delete apps native to the operating system, potentially clearing up both storage and homescreen space.

People with the current developer beta installed can remove most Apple apps like any other software. This includes some that are frequently interconnected, like Maps, Contacts, Calendar, FaceTime, and Music.

Because people may want or need them later, Apple has added the native apps to the App Store. There's even a listing for Home, which isn't available for iOS 9. Indeed all native apps are invisible during App Store searches on pre-iOS 10 devices.

Apple CEO Tim Cook hinted at the possibility of deleting first-party apps in September last year. At the time, he cautioned that some apps might have to stay in place, since they could cause problems if they disappeared. Accordingly some apps -- like Phone -- aren't duplicated on the App Store.

The new approach echoes one Google has taken with Android for some time. In theory, it could allow Apple to adopt a similarly nimble approach to system updates -- Android users can regularly update core apps without having to upgrade the entire OS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    WONDERFUL! Thank you (finally), Apple!
    baconstanganantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Cool.  So only Phone, Settings and Safari are excluded?

Wouldn't mind being able to hide the icon for phone.app too, tbh,  I never press it since Viber is my gateway to phone.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 3 of 25
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    If I delete the native calendar app, then ask Siri to make a new appointment will it be visible in an alternative calendar like fantastical?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Watch as people suddenly feel the need to not delete any app—now that they can.
    patchythepirateSpamSandwichgoodbyeranchjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ireland said:
    Watch as people suddenly feel the need to not delete any app—now that they can.
    That was my very first thought.  I wonder how many people actually deleted the U2 album. 
  • Reply 6 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Hell o Google. Can your Android do that letting remove some of your stupid stock Apps ? For me if Apple slightly improve stock calendar in IOS10 than that will be my first choice.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 7 of 25
    dunks said:
    If I delete the native calendar app, then ask Siri to make a new appointment will it be visible in an alternative calendar like fantastical?
    Now that Siri has been opened up to developers I would say that's more than likely. As long as your favourite app, in this case Fantastical, adds Siri integration that is.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Hmm...these weren't cluttering my home screen but then I use folders.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wood1208 said:
    Hell o Google. Can your Android do that letting remove some of your stupid stock Apps ? For me if Apple slightly improve stock calendar in IOS10 than that will be my first choice.
    Yes you can for years now. 
    singularity
  • Reply 10 of 25
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I'm surprised the music app is on there. What happens to on device music with no music app?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Can't believe Apple didn't even take a second to mention this in the keynote, considering how many have bitched and moaned (in my mind unjustifiably) that they can't do this. 
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Saints be praised!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    It's about time
  • Reply 14 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    First world app problems. Just put them in a folder. Unbelievable.
    mike1
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Adios Tips, News, Watch, iBooks, Game Center and Wallet!
  • Reply 16 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Adios Tips, News, Watch, iBooks, Game Center and Wallet!
    Wouldn't it just "hide" those apps? Some are integral to the function of the phone's capabilities. Especially Wallet.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Not sure why they never just implemented a control panel with toggles to hide/show those apps. Wouldn't save on disk space, but most folks are just concerned with getting them out of the way. It seems like there are system dependencies on apps like Maps and Calendar.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Though I appreciate Apple listen to users and actually done something like this, I am more worried they listen to the wrong folk. Good thing this is an option, for I myself love all the built-in apps they made.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 19 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    crowley said:
    Cool.  So only Phone, Settings and Safari are excluded?
    Wait, there’s no way they wouldn’t exclude the App Store...

SpamSandwich said:
    Some are integral to the function of the phone's capabilities. Especially Wallet.
    Are they? What if you never use Apple Pay?
    edited June 2016 dasanman69
  • Reply 20 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm surprised the music app is on there. What happens to on device music with no music app?
    It stays around in the Notes app obviously.

smh
    tallest skil