Inside iOS 10: 'Raise to Wake' requires iPhone 6s, iPhone SE, or iPhone 7

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Although one of the more convenient functions of iOS 10 is "Raise to Wake" for iPhones, users will need a model with Apple's M9 motion coprocessor found in the iPhone 6s series or iPhone SE, or the new M10 found in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

The new iOS 10-based Raise to Wake functionality automatically turns on an iPhone's display when raising the handset from a table or pulling it from your pocket. It relies on Apple's latest motion coprocessors found in the A9 and A10 Fusion, meaning it will only work on Apple's most recent iPhones released in 2015 and 2016.

The M9 can also be found in iPad Pros, but Raise to Wake is not supported on those devices.

The limitation mirrors support for using "Hey Siri" in iOS 9 without plugging into power, which is also dependent on having an M9. The difference is that 9.7-inch iPad Pros are supported as well -- yet not 12.9-inch models, for reasons unknown.

Raise to Wake is not only technically possible in more recent Apple devices but almost necessary. Apple's latest Touch ID sensor -- found in the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus -- respond so quickly that trying to wake a device with the Home button can completely skip the lockscreen, making any notifications or widgets there useless.

It's not clear why Apple is keeping the feature off of iPads. While the iPad Pro lineup still sports slower first-generation Touch ID sensors, the Raise-to-Wake-capable iPhone SE does as well.

Editor's note: This article was originally published in June following Apple's announcement of iOS 10 at WWDC 2016. It has been updated and republished to coincide with the mobile operating system's public release. For more on iOS 10, see AppleInsider's ongoing Inside iOS 10 series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Unrelated but I'm liking the rounded-ness of the UI in iOS 10 in screenshots.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 2 of 38
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    this feature is cool, but not really of use to me because I rarely put my phone down. it's usually in my pocket. when it's plugged in Glance Screen works just fine
    jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 38
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    No explanation as to why Raise to Wake can't be turned on for the iPhone 6, which has a motion coprocessor. It can track your steps and flights climbed while asleep, why can't it work for Raise to Wake? Come on - the 6 is not old!
    redraider11jbdragonargonautdysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 38
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I'm curious how Raise To Wake will know when an iPhone is being raised for use and when it's being raised because it's in someone's pocket and he or she stands up.
    dysamoriacalibaconstang
  • Reply 5 of 38
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    2oh1 said:
    I'm curious how Raise To Wake will know when an iPhone is being raised for use and when it's being raised because it's in someone's pocket and he or she stands up.

my guess is it would use the ambient light sensor to detect the fact that it's in your pocket
    nolamacguy[Deleted User]argonautdysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 38
    GymkhanaGymkhana Posts: 45member
    why- said:
    2oh1 said:

my guess is it would use the ambient light sensor to detect the fact that it's in your pocket
    Um, considering Apple can't even figure out how to prevent pocket dialing, which is a huge P.I.T.A. on my 6 plus, I would guess they haven't a clue how to detect that it's in my pocket.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    JaiOh81JaiOh81 Posts: 60member
    Gymkhana said:
    why- said:

Um, considering Apple can't even figure out how to prevent pocket dialing, which is a huge P.I.T.A. on my 6 plus, I would guess they haven't a clue how to detect that it's in my pocket.
    How does you phone bypass the lock screen to pocket dial?
    netmagenolamacguyuraharaargonauttokyojimumike1kamiltondysamoriacaliwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 38
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    JaiOh81 said:
    Gymkhana said:
    Some people set the auto lock for a long time (or off) and don't lock it before putting it in their pocket. Or they say "Hey Siri, call the president" and expect it to not butt dial.
    netmageGymkhana[Deleted User]argonautjony0dysamoriacali
  • Reply 9 of 38
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    why- said:
    2oh1 said:

My guess is it would be detecting a motion from a horizontal orientation to a vertical one. I'd bet that if you had it in your pocket laying down and then stood up it would wake it. How did Samsung do it? I think HTC supported it also...
  • Reply 10 of 38
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Definitely a feature worth spending $1200 on a new phone. 
    tokyojimudysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 11 of 38
    I think Slide to unlock feature was unique for iPhone. It has a nostalgic value. Replacing it with camera and notifications is a moving forward action but I wish Apple could have made it possible to adjust under settings.

I was very disappointed that Raise to wake feature is unique to M9 chip, I am a iPhone 6 user. First I thought that, this new feature would help to decrease number of presses to home button but I realised that users have to push home button to unlock anyway. For me it is a nice addition to new iPhones but I don't think it is essential to every user. I have been using my phone for almost two years and I am not convinced to change it because of new features unique to new phones such as 3D Touch and Raise to wake. I will skip iPhone 7 and wait for the next version.

If there are other people think like me, I think it makes sense for Apple to make major design changes every three years.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tyler82 said:
    Definitely a feature worth spending $1200 on a new phone. 
    Definitely a non sequitur turd like comment; maybe if you polish it a few decade, I'll read it again.

nolamacguyRayz2016fraccaliwilliamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Gymkhana said:
    why- said:

So, you butt unlocks your phone and dials, maybe it is sentient....
    cali
  • Reply 14 of 38
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    Seeing as your iPhone already tracks your steps, it should be obvious that your iPhone will distinguish between the two motions.  As already pointed out, iPhone can also detect ambient light and proximity.
    cali
  • Reply 15 of 38
    GymkhanaGymkhana Posts: 45member
    JaiOh81 said:
    Gymkhana said:
    Because since the rocket scientists at Apple decided to place the power button directly opposite the volume buttons, a one-handed attempt to lock the phone while slipping it into my pocket often fails, causing the volume to change instead of powering off.  This design fail was introduced with the iPhone 6 series, which is using the new regime's leadership, and not the engineering stewardship of Steve Jobs, who likely would have prevented such a screwup in engineering and ergonomics.  So, now I have to deal with the "you're holding it wrong" crowd, like with antenna-gate, the folks who will insist that the user is doing something wrong, instead of pointing the finger at the company that is the self-proclaimed "leader" with user friendly and ergonomic products.  My entire technology stack is Apple products, so I'm hardly an Apple hater, but I believe in holding Apple up to the standard set by Steve Jobs, which clearly isn't the same Apple today.
    caladaniandysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 16 of 38
    I love my Apple hardware, but I'm getting really, really, REALLY sick of Apple's ridiculous greed.  This is only their latest example.  Anything they can do to keep filling their already overflowing pocketbooks.  I'm becoming quite disgusted with Apple.  QUITE DISGUSTED.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ireland said:
    Unrelated but I'm liking the rounded-ness of the UI in iOS 10 in screenshots.
    I'm liking that SOMEONE who understands UI design is finally bringing bold type back to the UI. Trying to read extremely thin type on white backgrounds has been a nightmare.
    edited June 2016 argonautdysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 18 of 38
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Gymkhana said:
    why- said:

I've never pocket dialed anyone. ever. with the phone locked, it's impossible. 
    mike1williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 38

Gymkhana said:
    JaiOh81 said:
    Because since the rocket scientists at Apple decided to place the power button directly opposite the volume buttons, a one-handed attempt to lock the phone while slipping it into my pocket often fails, causing the volume to change instead of powering off.  This design fail was introduced with the iPhone 6 series, which is using the new regime's leadership, and not the engineering stewardship of Steve Jobs, who likely would have prevented such a screwup in engineering and ergonomics.  So, now I have to deal with the "you're holding it wrong" crowd, like with antenna-gate, the folks who will insist that the user is doing something wrong, instead of pointing the finger at the company that is the self-proclaimed "leader" with user friendly and ergonomic products.  My entire technology stack is Apple products, so I'm hardly an Apple hater, but I believe in holding Apple up to the standard set by Steve Jobs, which clearly isn't the same Apple today.
    there was no problem with the iPhone 4 antenna. as jobs explained during the press event, the carrier data showed an insignificant difference in dropped calls between it and 3GS. jobs also showed how attenuation could be triggered on other handsets. it wasn't a real world problem. but the real proof? they continued selling the 4 for years. 
    mike1williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 38

I love my Apple hardware, but I'm getting really, really, REALLY sick of Apple's ridiculous greed.  This is only their latest example.  Anything they can do to keep filling their already overflowing pocketbooks.  I'm becoming quite disgusted with Apple.  QUITE DISGUSTED.
    I'm getting sick of ignorant trolls. 
    mike1caliwilliamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobra