Apple will double 'iPhone 7' minimum storage to 32GB - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

wigby said:
    Has anyone noticed how the only ones complaining about 16GB of storage are not the ones experiencing the issues themselves? I'm not calling you out but there really are millions of 16GB users or there that either don't care or don't have a storage problem. And if you ask the vocal ones complaining about Apple being greedy and ignoring user experience for the sake of higher margins, they all say that they just upgraded to more storage and don't have any issues themselves. Then why don't they shut up?
    Or maybe they just don't visit and comment on tech blogs/sites. 
    Yes, I can tell you the people I know who've had issues with 16GB aren't posting to websites like this about it. Anyway there's a reason Apple made some of the changes it did with iOS 9. I'm sure some people not being able to install iOS 8 because of lack of space was part of it.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 42 of 57
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member

Nothing is going to change, as far as whining is concerned. There will always be people like me for whom nothing is enough. I have a 128GB iPhone and I recently got an alert that I couldn't record video since I was out of space.

I have a 3TB Fusion Drive in my iMac and got a "low disk space" warning a couple of month's back. This even when I have a 3TB Time Capsule that I use as additional storage (rather than for back-ups)

It's not just how much space the device has. It really boils down to how you manage it. One poster said they were with someone who couldn't record the 4th of July fireworks because they ran out of space. I'm pretty certain that someone will run out of space even with a 32GB model.

It's easy to blame Apple and say they are very frugal with space, but users should also ensure they use the space responsibly.

I'll pick-up a 256GB model this year. I'm sure I'll run out of space by mid next year.

Great post. You just got a Like (I wish I could give you ten more). 

dasanman69
  • Reply 43 of 57
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    cnocbui said:
    TurboPGT said:
    Ok, but the fact is iOS has features today that actively optimize the local storage in favor of iCloud storage, so that a 16 GB phone can live the life of a phone with much more storage. One could accurately argue that 16 GB is MORE usable today than it was years ago.

Recently, the margins on 32 GB NAND flash came down enough so that Apple won't be giving up too much revenue by moving over to it...so now is the time.
    Cloud storage is not a substitute for onboard storage.  You really are reaching to suggest that it is and that it therefore makes 16GB OK.  If I want to use data my carrier will charge me €1 for 100MB in a day and then €1 for each MB I use over that amount.   The costs associated with cloud storage can be significant.   I am often in places where phone reception is marginal and data transfer rates only possible in the Kbps range, making any notion of Cloud storage laughable.
    I don't want to hear about Data issues. Those are separate issues that need fixing by other parties. Cloud storage is absolutely a substitute for local storage. 100%. My photo and video library is around 250 GB, and I can access every one of those files in a seamless library from a 16 GB iOS device. Tell me again about how cloud storage is not a substitute.

It is _current year_ for crying out loud. If you don't have excellent WiFi 99% of the time and sufficient LTE the rest of the time, you're doing it wrong. Don't blame the cloud.
    baconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 44 of 57
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    steveh said:
    It's really not. You lose 4GB off the top to formatting and the OS's needs. Factor in 4k video and high resolution photos, increasing app sizes...it gets tight quickly.
    And such usage is outside "most people's" usage patterns.

Not outside yours, perhaps, but you're not "most people".
    I never quite got this argument either! If you shooting 4k video and hi res photos, what on earth are you doing with a base configured iPhone? My mother-in-law has one with room to spare!
    baconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 45 of 57
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,251member
    Only took them about four years to catch up. Nicely done.

Yes, but let the "32GB is not enough!" outcry start in 3, 2, 1...
    baconstang
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Good.

Now, give every device some reasonable amount of iCloud space (5GB? 10GB?) if you really want that service to take off in a meaningful way.

Got a $1.00? That buys you 50GB. You probably spend more on your morning coffee, which is gone in 10 minutes. A dollar to iCloud storage lasts a whole month.

baconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 47 of 57

wood1208 said:
    Having efficient IOS, for most people's iphone usage, 16GB is fine but 32GB better.
    It's really not. You lose 4GB off the top to formatting and the OS's needs. Factor in 4k video and high resolution photos, increasing app sizes...it gets tight quickly.

Well, it's a double-edged sword. I actually applaud Apple for keeping resources tight because it's forced app developers to optimize. Developers are generally lazy... if they have unlimited space and horsepower, they will use it at the expense of the overall device performance. I've always been an advocate of optimization over increasing RAM available to apps, for example.

I'm a PHP developer, and my custom framework (developed over 15 years) went from using 10MB per request down to 2MB per request, and it does 20x more than it used to. That's the value of optimization. It's 10x faster than a typical WordPress website, and delivers several optimization out of the box — uploaded images are automatically slimmed down, and rendered HTML is automatically minified when viewed in a browser. Overall, this delivers a very fast (and responsible) website. It's worth the effort to focus on optimizations, as it serves the greater good.
    edited July 2016 baconstangbrucemc
  • Reply 48 of 57
    SylvainLSylvainL Posts: 28member
    Will users downgrade their iCloud storage back to 5GB now they have 32GB on their phones ?
  • Reply 49 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    TurboPGT said:
    cnocbui said:
    Cloud storage is not a substitute for onboard storage.  You really are reaching to suggest that it is and that it therefore makes 16GB OK.  If I want to use data my carrier will charge me €1 for 100MB in a day and then €1 for each MB I use over that amount.   The costs associated with cloud storage can be significant.   I am often in places where phone reception is marginal and data transfer rates only possible in the Kbps range, making any notion of Cloud storage laughable.
    I don't want to hear about Data issues. Those are separate issues that need fixing by other parties. Cloud storage is absolutely a substitute for local storage. 100%. My photo and video library is around 250 GB, and I can access every one of those files in a seamless library from a 16 GB iOS device. Tell me again about how cloud storage is not a substitute.

It is _current year_ for crying out loud. If you don't have excellent WiFi 99% of the time and sufficient LTE the rest of the time, you're doing it wrong. Don't blame the cloud.
    Wonder how long it's going to take to download 250GB of photos to my phone 16GB at a time? And then there's that 245GB over my 5GB carrier data limit. Wonder how much that's going to cost?

• Reply 50 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    TurboPGT said:
    cnocbui said:

I wonder how long it will take to download 250GB of photos 16GB at a time? And then there's my carrier's 5GB data limit. I wonder how much it will cost to download 245GB on LTE? I wonder how long it will take to upload 2, 3GB 4K videos on LTE to delete and make room for shooting more videos, not to mention cost?
    edited July 2016 lord amhran
  • Reply 51 of 57
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Watch the iPhone 7 phail dismally - followed by an iPhone 7S or 8 that returns the 3.5mm headphone jack. 
  • Reply 52 of 57
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,365member
    Ok, but the fact is iOS has features today that actively optimize the local storage in favor of iCloud storage, so that a 16 GB phone can live the life of a phone with much more storage. One could accurately argue that 16 GB is MORE usable today than it was years ago.

Recently, the margins on 32 GB NAND flash came down enough so that Apple won't be giving up too much revenue by moving over to it...so now is the time.
    What iOS currently active optimization features are those?

It remains to be seen how successful will be the active optimizations in iOS 10.

Apple has had a lot of problems with their cloud services, and I'm not ready to give them autonomy in pruning my content in the name of optimization. So that may be a significant argument in the future. Until then, there is no accuracy, only hypothetical.

But a number of people who don't mind regular manual curation have been and will be happy with 16G.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 53 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 said:
    TurboPGT said:

Wonder how long it's going to take to download 250GB of photos to my phone 16GB at a time? And then there's that 245GB over my 5GB carrier data limit. Wonder how much that's going to cost?
    you're viewing them wrong. you don't need the entire contents local. you can search and you have thumbnails...click the pic you want and you get a device-optimized copy on demand. 

you don't need all of your content everywhere all of the time. that's old thinking. world is moving beyond that. you're either onboard, or you're whining about it on a rumor forum for the rest of your days. 
    edited July 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Apple waited to upgrade this until downgrading from 64 wouldn't be a feasible option for most. Upsell people to 64GB, get them to fill up their phones with lots of 4K video and Live Photos and then introduce 32GB...when it would be damn near impossible for Schiller to get onstage and announce 16GB with a straight face.
  • Reply 55 of 57

Well, it's a double-edged sword. I actually applaud Apple for keeping resources tight because it's forced app developers to optimize. Developers are generally lazy... if they have unlimited space and horsepower, they will use it at the expense of the overall device performance. I've always been an advocate of optimization over increasing RAM available to apps, for example.

I'm a PHP developer, and my custom framework (developed over 15 years) went from using 10MB per request down to 2MB per request, and it does 20x more than it used to. That's the value of optimization. It's 10x faster than a typical WordPress website, and delivers several optimization out of the box — uploaded images are automatically slimmed down, and rendered HTML is automatically minified when viewed in a browser. Overall, this delivers a very fast (and responsible) website. It's worth the effort to focus on optimizations, as it serves the greater good.
    So I suppose you would have argued Apple keep RAM at 1GB because well you know those lazy developers. Does that include those who work on Safari which is the biggest pain in the ass on devices with low RAM? Heck even with my iPad Pro and 4GB RAM I'm constantly closing out of Safari because web pages aren't loading smoothly (especially pages with lots of graphics).
    dasanman69
  • Reply 56 of 57
    wigby said:

Forget about the best UX when there are margins to worry about! Glad to see Cook & Co. are focused on the important things. I was just with someone last night who couldn't take photos at the fireworks display because their phone was full (they have a 16GB model). Phones fill up fast (especially if people have Live Photos on and don't realize it - it's not that obvious). But hey if these rumors are true that's great for 64GB owners who will get another 64GB without having to spend more. wink 
    Has anyone noticed how the only ones complaining about 16GB of storage are not the ones experiencing the issues themselves? I'm not calling you out but there really are millions of 16GB users or there that either don't care or don't have a storage problem. And if you ask the vocal ones complaining about Apple being greedy and ignoring user experience for the sake of higher margins, they all say that they just upgraded to more storage and don't have any issues themselves. Then why don't they shut up?
    Well, here is one. I have a work phone iphone 6s with only 16GB because the company that i work for only gives the option of the basic model. I have three options. Buy another phone myself or stick with the 16GB model if i want to stick with apple. Having two phones is not something I prefer because i have experienced that too many times in my past. Neither is  forking out 800€ is just madness for the extra 16GB. OR i could go for the samsung models that HAVE larger memory?!?

Anyways, the price apple is charging for the extra gigs are just too much, compared to other manufacturers. Same goes for macs now-days, too little memory in the basic models, and upgrade cost is too high. I don't even know what I'm going to do when I upgrade my mac. Probably switch...
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 57 of 57
    pbrstreetgpbrstreetg Posts: 184member
    wigby said:

Forget about the best UX when there are margins to worry about! Glad to see Cook & Co. are focused on the important things. I was just with someone last night who couldn't take photos at the fireworks display because their phone was full (they have a 16GB model). Phones fill up fast (especially if people have Live Photos on and don't realize it - it's not that obvious). But hey if these rumors are true that's great for 64GB owners who will get another 64GB without having to spend more. :wink: 
    What a concept, people have issues so they complain. Apple markets to the tech illiterate (not a bad thing) and people may not realize they need more space than 16GB which is just barely adequate for anyone that actively uses a smartphone beyond texting and phone calls. The 16GB iPhones has always been a chump move by Apple no matter how many chumps defend it.