New CAD renderings support rumored features of Apple's 'iPhone 7' and '7 Plus'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    How do we know the headphone jack isn't on top. This looks just like the bottom of my iPad Mini.  
    calibaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 42
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    I don't mind jack at all. But hope Apple will handle double camera bump/design different way. I would vomit from rendering.
    calibaconstang
  • Reply 23 of 42
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mac_128 said:
    The jack has nothing to do with thickness here, stop claiming that. Apple has far thinner devices that still have jacks. Internal space, yes.
    While I tend to agree with you from a semantics perspective, and only because people keep bringing up this same strawman debate about other devices being thinner, without considering the obvious:

The two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive -- in order to make the case thinner, internal components need to be spread out, and thus the presence of the jack prevents that, preventing the case from becoming thinner, even if the physical edge of the case can still accomodate the actual connector hole with room to spare. So it's both in this case -- they need more internal space to add features, but also to give existing components a thinner profile.

However, before my comment gets misconstrued, I don't believe the goal is to make the phone thinner. I believe the goal is to add more features in the same space, while making the phone as small and light as possible. The phone may or may not get any thinner, but it's unlikely to get any thicker, and therein lies the problem with the headphone jack as it presently exists and takes up space. And I further believe Apple is not alone here. Android devices are just as thin as Apple's, and in order to maintain feature parity, it's likely that they must resort to the same tactic of removing all redundant features in order to remain competitive with Apple.
    I agree but I still believe lightning is too wide.

Apple could potentially announce lightning 2.0 but that'll hurt lightning headphone adoption.

Cheap blueprint I made:

It it just seems illogical to replace decades old technology with something that's not much smaller.

the "quarter size" would be ideal since the connector would be square meaning you would hardly have to think when plugging in.
    the current 3.5mm headphone jack is still better in this sense since you don't have to think at all(circle).
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 24 of 42
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    fred1 said:
    I understand that this is a rendering, but it looks the same as the so-called "leaked photos" that some people take as proof that the iPhone 7 won't have a headphone jack. 
    Well, the bottom edge of my iPad Mini looks just like this: lightning port in the middle with two speakers, and it has a headphone jack at the top edge. 
    How do we know this won't be the same?
    because they already did that, and it's unlikely they'd move it back again. and other leaks are in line with it being gone. we've seen this pattern of leaks pre events before...this is likely it. 
  • Reply 25 of 42
    cali said:
    mac_128 said:
    While I tend to agree with you from a semantics perspective, and only because people keep bringing up this same strawman debate about other devices being thinner, without considering the obvious:

The two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive -- in order to make the case thinner, internal components need to be spread out, and thus the presence of the jack prevents that, preventing the case from becoming thinner, even if the physical edge of the case can still accomodate the actual connector hole with room to spare. So it's both in this case -- they need more internal space to add features, but also to give existing components a thinner profile.

However, before my comment gets misconstrued, I don't believe the goal is to make the phone thinner. I believe the goal is to add more features in the same space, while making the phone as small and light as possible. The phone may or may not get any thinner, but it's unlikely to get any thicker, and therein lies the problem with the headphone jack as it presently exists and takes up space. And I further believe Apple is not alone here. Android devices are just as thin as Apple's, and in order to maintain feature parity, it's likely that they must resort to the same tactic of removing all redundant features in order to remain competitive with Apple.
    I agree but I still believe lightning is too wide.

Apple could potentially announce lightning 2.0 but that'll hurt lightning headphone adoption.

Cheap blueprint I made:

It it just seems illogical to replace decades old technology with something that's not much smaller.

the "quester size" would be ideal since the connector would be square meaning you would hardly have to think when plugging in.
    the current 3.5mm headphone jack is still better in this sense since you don't have to think at all(circle).
    huh? Lightning is much smaller than 30-pin, which is what it replaced. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 26 of 42
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Ok Phil, what's the consumer benefit to getting rid of it?
    how on earth will we know until they announce? what, do you think they'll just say: "Oh, and we removed a popular 100-year-old port for the hell of it. Bye!" 

I mean, really, get real. well know the reasons when they announce them...and then you can complain about them later. up sells! bean counters!
    The benefit will be more data such as health. Blood pressure, pulse, temperature etc.
    of course there are other data benefits.

fred1 said:
    I understand that this is a rendering, but it looks the same as the so-called "leaked photos" that some people take as proof that the iPhone 7 won't have a headphone jack. 
    Well, the bottom edge of my iPad Mini looks just like this: lightning port in the middle with two speakers, and it has a headphone jack at the top edge. 
    because they already did that, and it's unlikely they'd move it back again. and other leaks are in line with it being gone. we've seen this pattern of leaks pre events before...this is likely it. 
    What I hate about leaks is anyone can fabricate something and minutes after the product is announced EVERYONE forgets and no one is called out for fake leaks.

these are still unconfirmed so nothing is factual until iPhone 7 is announced.

• Reply 27 of 42
    snailersnailer Posts: 51member
    flaneur said:
    However you interpret it, the headphone jack is a comical wasre of space for the sake of four lousy contacts, which could be handled just as well by the much smaller lightning jack, with 13 contacts to spare, two of which are power.

Its time has passed. Manufacturing of smaller contacts obsolesced it years ago. No self-respecting engineer could tolerate hanging on to it much longer.
    better water 'resistance', larger battery; no D/A conversion = better audio fidelity. PLUS, no bickering about which end to put the jack!
    fastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 42
    subbiessubbies Posts: 71member
    Does anyone even use their earbuds?  I haven't seen anyone use them in a long time. 
    I use earbuds every day. Those headphones the kids use today were popular back in the 80's and looked shit then too. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 29 of 42
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    snailer said:
    better water 'resistance', larger battery; no D/A conversion = better audio fidelity. PLUS, no bickering about which end to put the jack!
    No DAC?   How are you going to hear people talking to you?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Does anyone even use their earbuds?  I haven't seen anyone use them in a long time. 
    I would guess most people are still using headphone that plug into the headphone jack. I'm using a pair of Audio Technica cans that are really nice and sound way better than any Bluetooth set I have.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    TurboPGT said:
    GTFO, you're around here often enough to have been presented with all of that information 20 times.
    Read the link below. I'm not the only one searching for a good reason to remove the jack. And Apple can make mistakes...like the buttonless iPod shuffle or the fat nano (which lasted a year).

https://sixcolors.com/post/2016/07/headphone-jack/

Of course we have to wait for their reasons but isn't that primarily going to be marketing speak? And all the benefits of Lightning still exist whether the jack is there or not.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Going by this mockup there won't be an extra speaker. The 'extra speaker' is just one microphone hole, with other partial holes placed for aesthetic symmetry. There goes my theory of emphasizing the importance/utility of a louder speaker. There are plenty of other potential good reasons for the headphone jack removal though.. improved battery life, improved water resistance, more freedom in interior phone design, improved headphone audio, being in the driver's seat of the wireless headphone future...
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 33 of 42
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    TurboPGT said:
    GTFO, you're around here often enough to have been presented with all of that information 20 times.
    Read the link below. I'm not the only one searching for a good reason to remove the jack. And Apple can make mistakes...like the buttonless iPod shuffle or the fat nano (which lasted a year).

https://sixcolors.com/post/2016/07/headphone-jack/

Of course we have to wait for their reasons but isn't that primarily going to be marketing speak? And all the benefits of Lightning still exist whether the jack is there or not.
    No you're not the only one. The professional hand-wringing tech bloggers and writers are quivering with barely suppressed hysteria over Apple's audacity in doing something that nobody asked for.

Marco, Jason, Nilay et al are having to face inner questions about their relevance. "What if Apple solves a problem I haven't ever thought of complaining about?" "What if they've thought of some great improvement that I never even imagined?"

Remember how David Pogue whined and railed about the Lightning connector? He completely lost credibility on that issue, and it seems to have sidelined his career since. He jumped the shark. He did not trust that Apple knew what they were doing. 

The answer to your question about customer benefit is found in that example. Every time you plug in that slick little Lightning plug without paying attention to top or bottom, without having to deal with any sharp edges or cookie-cutter metal, in other words hundreds of times over the course of your life with the device, you get to experience what good design and engineering is, and your relation to the world of manmade objects is calibrated favorably. Or should be if you're paying attention.

Something similar is probably in the works for the audio interface or they wouldn't be messing with it.
    kevin keepatchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 34 of 42
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    fred1 said:
    Uh, they already did what? Put the jack on top? And they never repeat anything???  Please to explain. 
    What other leaks show that there's no headphone jack at the top?? Please show. 
  • Reply 35 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's amazing how much angst is being shown over a dropped headphone port. This doesn't even rank close to the top of my concerns.

I worry about the fact that Apple's now pushing the Plus model as the top of the line, simply because it helps them sell those ridiculous watches Cook is so fond of.
    Can you really not fit the upgraded camera (with stabilization) in the 6S/7S body?

Also, what is taking Apple so long to introduce the Upgrade Program to Canada?
    Can the big three Canadian carries really stop Apple from selling their own phones directly?
  • Reply 36 of 42
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    wozwoz said:
    Watch the iPhone 7 fail dismally - followed by an iPhone 7S or 8 that returns the 3.5mm headphone jack. 

Like the new MacBook they launched earlier this year with more than one port, right? /s
  • Reply 37 of 42
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

This is probably the first article about the removed headphone jack that is actually interesting to read. Cheers to all the posters who are thinking out of the box!

I use wireless headphones, so it doesn't really matter to me. But I am now really curious on the added benefits of going Lightning-only.

• Reply 38 of 42
    chazbcnchazbcn Posts: 26member
    sector7g said:
    wozwoz said:
    Watch the iPhone 7 fail dismally - followed by an iPhone 7S or 8 that returns the 3.5mm headphone jack. 
    HAHA,

When has an analog technology ever made a come back?
    Vinyl albums ;)

But I agree: if the 3.5 headphone jack is ousted on the next iPhone, I don't see it ever coming back, even for nostalgia (as vinyl LPs).

The thing is: how is Apple going to make it up to users for the inconvenience of making the included lighting earbuds incompatible with non iOS devices.

What extra features are we getting instead? Longer battery life? Better quality audio? (although that would be impossible to appreciate with standard Apple earbuds), an extra speaker on the bottom of the phone?

As in previous occasions, I believe Apple has a good reason to phase out the headphone jack. It may be annoying at first (like the switch from 30 pin to lighning connector) but at the end it could be for the better (if it actually happens, that is). Let's wait and see.

• Reply 39 of 42
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    mac_128 said:
    The jack has nothing to do with thickness here, stop claiming that. Apple has far thinner devices that still have jacks. Internal space, yes.
    Components are getting smaller by the year, batteries more efficient and therefore smaller. Unless they wanted to make an top to bottom edge to edge display, I I highly doubt that internal space is the issue here.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    fred1 said:
    Uh, they already did what? Put the jack on top? And they never repeat anything???  Please to explain. 
    What other leaks show that there's no headphone jack at the top?? Please show. 
    I'm not going to do your homework for you. read the rumor sites. 

and yes, they already did the jack on top. they won't be going back.