Razer launches Mechanical Keyboard Case for Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad
Razer on Thursday released the Mechanical Keyboard Case for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, offering an unusual design alternative to most iPad keyboard cases.

The case revolves around a Razer invention dubbed the "Ultra-Low-Profile Mechanical Switch," designed to replicate the feel of a desktop mechanical keyboard without needing the same room. Most iPad keyboards use a membrane or similar technology for detecting presses.

Keys are individually backlit with 20 available brightness levels. Accordingly, battery life can vary wildly -- while the keyboard will last up to 600 hours with backlighting off, this drops to just 10 hours at maximum brightness.

The protective shell is detachable, and includes a multi-angle metal kickstand for propping up an iPad.

Despite being built for the iPad Pro, the case pairs via Bluetooth instead of the tablet's Smart Connector.

The Mechanical Keyboard Case is on sale today for $169.99 in the U.S., and ?189.99 in Europe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Lost me at lack of Smart Connector support. 
    williamlondonredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 6
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A seemingly very nice...and expensive accessory. But lack of Smart Connector support is a little disappointing...maybe the battery drainage would be too much on the iPad Pro, which is why it wasn't implemented here.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    This seems to use a very similar mechanism for its keys to the keyboard on the new Macbook and Magic Keyboard... http://www.apple.com/macbook/design/
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 4 of 6
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Too bad it's BT, and too bad it does not offers colors other than black.

I would love to be able get a different, better one: the Apple iPad Pro Keyboard is quite mediocre, especially for $170. Wish I hadn't bothered with it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    To quote Tarantino's movie: "You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention."