MacKeeper threatens 14-year-old YouTube video maker with harassment suit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    bill42 said:
    apple ][ said:
    Who the hell in their right mind would ever install this crap?

I don't trust these people or the software at all, and I certainly don't like their vicious, intrusive, annoying and should be outlawed advertising practices.

This is the software that advertises with intrusive pop ups on many sites. I've had to force quit Safari before, to get rid of those fucking popups.  

Hell, there should be a software to keep Mac users safe from this damn software!
    You left out a word- software UPDATE.  I agree with you- Apple should at least make it known to users that Mackeeper is basically malware. My poor mother in-law gets tricked into installing it about once a year.
    Doe your mother-in-law have alzheimer's? Is her IQ less than 100? My mother is 90 and she knows better then to fall for any of these scams. You aren't doing your job as a good son-in-law if she is falling prey too this stuff.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    MacKeeper is horrible as it is intrusive and misleading. It also peppers the user with annoying pop ups, this crape are is hatred by a majority of Mac users.  Apple should install a OS feature which allows any user to de-I stall any third party software.
    ireland
  • Reply 23 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    MacKeeper is horrible as it is intrusive and misleading. It also peppers the user with annoying pop ups, this crape are is hatred by a majority of Mac users.  Apple should install a OS feature which allows any user to de-I stall any third party software.
    They also have tactics where it makes it difficult to uninstall their "app" (crap).
  • Reply 24 of 47
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    bonobob said:
    When YouTube is under US jurisdiction.
    But the kid is in Norway, and MacKeeper is threatening to sue him in Norwegian court.  Explain how Norwegian judges apply the US Constitution in their rulings.
    Heck, I'd like someone to explain how US judges apply the US constitution in their rulings.
    calitallest skilbonobob
  • Reply 25 of 47
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    bonobob said:
    When YouTube is under US jurisdiction.
    But the kid is in Norway, and MacKeeper is threatening to sue him in Norwegian court.  Explain how Norwegian judges apply the US Constitution in their rulings.
    It looks like the kid is in Canada.  If he's Norwegian, then kudos for his awesome English.  Those MacKeeper tools can do what they want in Norwegian court.  They're not going to get a Canadian kid to show up.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple should really blacklist the company and sue the fu** out of them.

"harassment". Nope didn't see any.

how about Apple and its users sue mackeeper for constantly "harassing" us about viruses we don't have??
  • Reply 27 of 47
    ireland said:
    A Virus is a Virus is a Virus. A door opener for others.

A virus has been Detect on your Computer Do you want to remove it. (DOWNLOAD)
    Which employee of this shit-hole company are you? I find it difficult to believe you just happened to register here to post this. Either that or I missed your sarcasm.
    I Think you didn't get it. MacKeeper is the Virus or call it a Trojan. They use Scare Tactics it is there Way to get on the Computer off unwitting customers. When I see MacKeeper on a Mac i get the customer to uninstall it. If it works (that is the Uninstall) he gets a working Computer back. If it dose not uninstall he pickt up one of the Fakes which are 100% Trojans, with all the fineries which makes your mac into a Bot. It depends how much time your data is worth. In many Cases a Erase and Reinstall ist the easier way, But in some cases it is in your TimeMachine, and that means lots of work till you have a clean recovery.
    Ive been around for for quite a while I just have a life beside Posting in Ai.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 28 of 47
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    I always refer to MacKeeper as Gullible-Ware rather than Mal-Ware.

It seems to be targeted at ex-Windows users who think Macs need a lot of manual maintenance.
    pscooter63ronn
  • Reply 29 of 47
    luwadoluwado Posts: 2member
    Rayz2016 said:
    How are these scam artists still in business?
    No idea! I really do wonder...

Thank you for your support,
    Luqman Wadood.
    lkruppireland
  • Reply 30 of 47
    luwadoluwado Posts: 2member
    YouTube and Apple should defend Luqman Wadood for telling the truth!
    Luqman Wadood.
    lkruppireland
  • Reply 31 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    luwado said:
    Luqman Wadood.
    You are most welcome, however, it is all of we Mac users who should be thanking you.  I have lost count of those I have had to disentangle from that POS.  

Everyone on AI should link all your videos to their own social media outlets.  I will!  Can you post short URLs to them here?
    edited July 2016 luwadoireland
  • Reply 32 of 47
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

My daughter, who violated my number rule about computers in our house which it to never install anything unless you specifically went to the developers website and knowing downloaded and know what you are installing, install Mackeeper on her laptop. Once of her friends sent her link to some website so you could stream a video which turn out to be one of these scam websites. I agree with everything this kids said about MacKeeper, but I found out in my research about this company and its software it is not only them. They license the software to anyone and everyone and then Mackeeper pays these companies every time their software is installed, it is kind of like Google ads.

These website who license the MacKeeper junk also will install other crap along with MacKeeper. My daughter computer was so full with malware, adware and you name it she somehow got it installed. It took me hours to clear it all off. What I notice about some of these website, they put all this stuff on your computer and MacKeeper does not even find it or tries to fix the problem and it does find stuff, it can not uninstall it. You have to go through all your directors and manually delete things. The warning my Daughter go was not the MacKeeper window that came up saying you have a virus or your computer running slow. The one that came up make it look like a Apple security warning it said her computer system was infected and locked her out of safari we had to force a hard reset at them time it came up an said she need to install MacKeeper

• Reply 33 of 47
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    luwado said:

No idea! I really do wonder...

Luqman Wadood.
    Good to see you on here, we are right behind you, good luck with these scumbags.
    ireland
  • Reply 34 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    maestro64 said:

My daughter, who violated my number rule about computers in our house which it to never install anything unless you specifically went to the developers website and knowing downloaded and know what you are installing, install Mackeeper on her laptop. Once of her friends sent her link to some website so you could stream a video which turn out to be one of these scam websites. I agree with everything this kids said about MacKeeper, but I found out in my research about this company and its software it is not only them. They license the software to anyone and everyone and then Mackeeper pays these companies every time their software is installed, it is kind of like Google ads.

These website who license the MacKeeper junk also will install other crap along with MacKeeper. My daughter computer was so full with malware, adware and you name it she somehow got it installed. It took me hours to clear it all off. What I notice about some of these website, they put all this stuff on your computer and MacKeeper does not even find it or tries to fix the problem and it does find stuff, it can not uninstall it. You have to go through all your directors and manually delete things. The warning my Daughter go was not the MacKeeper window that came up saying you have a virus or your computer running slow. The one that came up make it look like a Apple security warning it said her computer system was infected and locked her out of safari we had to force a hard reset at them time it came up an said she need to install MacKeeper

We should all put these anti MacKeeper video URLs on our web sites and social media!  It is the biggest scourge for new Mac users moving from Windows there is, they all fall for it.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    I for one would contribute money to defend this lawsuit by MacKeeper. I say we all post videos to YouTube named MacKeeper Sucks.
    ireland
  • Reply 36 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    williamh said:
    It looks like the kid is in Canada.
    Ooh, even worse, though.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,962member
    YouTube and Apple should defend Luqman Wadood for telling the truth!
    We need to start a GoFundMe campaign to pay all the kid's legal costs and counter sue to drive these lowlifes out of business 
  • Reply 38 of 47
    MacKeeper is a piece of trash. Any app that practically begs you to install it is really no good. My Mac can take care of itself. It doesn't need a begging keeper.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 383member
    williamh said:
    bonobob said:
    It looks like the kid is in Canada.  If he's Norwegian, then kudos for his awesome English.  Those MacKeeper tools can do what they want in Norwegian court.  They're not going to get a Canadian kid to show up.
    I shall assume you are right and it's standard procedure for US based companies to sue Canadians in Norwegian courts.  Maybe it's due to Norwegian courts' particular application of the first amendment.  I'm pretty sure their interpretation of it and its applicability would be different from that of US courts.

As for his English, it's typical for a Norwegian to speak it that well.  Almost nobody outside Norway speaks Norwegian, so they have to know something else as well.
    ireland
  • Reply 40 of 47
    bill42 said:
    apple ][ said:
    Who the hell in their right mind would ever install this crap?

I don't trust these people or the software at all, and I certainly don't like their vicious, intrusive, annoying and should be outlawed advertising practices.

This is the software that advertises with intrusive pop ups on many sites. I've had to force quit Safari before, to get rid of those fucking popups.  

Hell, there should be a software to keep Mac users safe from this damn software!
    You left out a word- software UPDATE.  I agree with you- Apple should at least make it known to users that Mackeeper is basically malware. My poor mother in-law gets tricked into installing it about once a year.
    Move mom to an iPad.