Apple Maps mass transit information for Vancouver, San Diego goes live [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2016
Apple on Monday added public transit directions for Vancouver, British Columbia and San Diego, California for users of the Maps apps on iOS and OS X.

Quietly launched today, the data sets for the two cities include all forms of public transportation in the two cities, including live mapping of some transit assets. As usual, the app will pick and choose various methods of transport available when considering a route to help a traveller reach a destination faster.

Most of the cities Apple supports in maps are located in the U.S. and China. Locations with transit information added prior to today's additions in the U.S. are Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City, Philadelphia, Portland Ore., Sacramento, San Jose, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington DC. The iOS 9 feature guide does not yet include Monday's additions.

During the iOS 9 launch, Apple Maps only had transit information for seven US cities, and 30 cities in China. Google Maps transit information has a much wider penetration than Apple Maps' implementation at this time. However, transit in Apple Maps gives users a top-down navigation view of underground subway and train stations in addition to local schedules, a feature that Google Maps lacks.

Apple notes that the company currently gets data from over 250 transit agencies, and its station data maps over 16,000 station entrances across supported cities. Additionally, implementation of new locations is much more complicated than it appears at first glance -- each location added spans areas exceeding just the city it is centered in, and is customized for specific areas.

Additions in Maps included in the forthcoming iOS 10 include the app storing where the driver's is parked based on the completion of a trip that does not end at home, as well as the ability of third-party applications to extend the functionality of the app through extensions.

Update: Information received by AppleInsider indicates Apple is using BC Transit data to power Maps services in Vancouver, British Columbia, meaning bus support technically reaches beyond advertised city limits.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I know it's fashionable among the technorati to trash Apple Maps but I personally deleted Google Maps months ago. Apple Maps does all I request of it and it integrates with other apps very well. Of course I'm a big fan of the Walled Garden. I just want things to work.
    magman1979Deelronlostkiwiradarthekatigorskypatchythepiratemdriftmeyerlolliverbadmonkwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 15
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Major Homer Simpson WOOO HOOOOO moment for me here in Vancouver, BC!!!
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 15

Yup. Glad to see Vancouver finally added.

On a side note, I often have my Apple Pay screen pop up when I scan my CompassCard on a bus/train (if I'm carrying both in one hand). I guess it sees the NFC signal and displays the Apple Pay screen. I was on a bus the other day and I noticed a Visa/MC sticker, but I was in a rush so didn't bother to see if I could tap my iPhone to pay for my fare. I wonder if they're going to roll out paying fares with cards? I know they were going to try this with machines in terminals, but on the actual bus would be cool.

Better yet would be for Apple to work with transit and others to allow NFC to work with them as well. If it could identify the terminal type when you tap your iPhone and determine the difference between a merchant terminal and a transit terminal, and then display the appropriate verification screen, then we could use iPhones for so much more than just paying for stuff at stores.
    lostkiwibadmonkmagman1979
  • Reply 4 of 15
    What has been the feedback on this transit data?  I have not heard much as I live in a small town with no need for this.  Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

On a side note, I often have my Apple Pay screen pop up when I scan my CompassCard on a bus/train (if I'm carrying both in one hand). I guess it sees the NFC signal and displays the Apple Pay screen. I was on a bus the other day and I noticed a Visa/MC sticker, but I was in a rush so didn't bother to see if I could tap my iPhone to pay for my fare. I wonder if they're going to roll out paying fares with cards? I know they were going to try this with machines in terminals, but on the actual bus would be cool.

Better yet would be for Apple to work with transit and others to allow NFC to work with them as well. If it could identify the terminal type when you tap your iPhone and determine the difference between a merchant terminal and a transit terminal, and then display the appropriate verification screen, then we could use iPhones for so much more than just paying for stuff at stores.
    Depends on where you are. Some accept ApplePay via NFC today. 
    https://www.bostonfed.org/bankinfo/payment-strategies/publications/2015/transit-mobile-payments.pdf
  • Reply 6 of 15
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Apple Maps works very well on my iOS9 iPhone.
    But it fails to operate correctly on my MacOS 10.11 ElCapitan Mini. 
  • Reply 7 of 15
    gatorguy said:

Depends on where you are. Some accept ApplePay via NFC today. 
    https://www.bostonfed.org/bankinfo/payment-strategies/publications/2015/transit-mobile-payments.pdf

Yes, but I don't want to use Apple Pay on transit. I want to have my transit card (CompassCard) which can have money or monthly passes loaded onto it, be replaced by adding my card to a transit version of Wallet. Then I can tap my iPhone instead of my actual transit card
    williamlondonmagman1979
  • Reply 8 of 15
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    lkrupp said:
    I know it's fashionable among the technorati to trash Apple Maps but I personally deleted Google Maps months ago. Apple Maps does all I request of it and it integrates with other apps very well. Of course I'm a big fan of the Walled Garden. I just want things to work.
    I'm in the same boat. It got to the point where I was using Google Maps only for Street View, so I simply downloaded the Street View app.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    What has been the feedback on this transit data?  I have not heard much as I live in a small town with no need for this.  Thanks in advance.
    I recently used Transit in Philadelphia. Apple Maps had the time the train would arrive, tracked the train under/above ground as it moved from station to station, let me know when to get off the train and then guided my walking to my destination. On top of that, my Apple Watch tapped my wrist when there was a Map update.
    lolliverslprescottbadmonkmagman1979
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mr squidmr squid Posts: 58member

edited July 2016
  • Reply 11 of 15
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I've started preferring Apple Maps Navigation to Google Maps Nav. The screen is less cluttered, turns seem more obvious, and the motion is much smoother.
    lolliverlostkiwibadmonknolamacguymagman1979
  • Reply 12 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    josha said:
    Apple Maps works very well on my iOS9 iPhone.
    But it fails to operate correctly on my MacOS 10.11 ElCapitan Mini. 
    Works great on the iPhone 5s with iOS 9.3.3 and Macbook Pro with OS X 10.11.6
    badmonk
  • Reply 13 of 15
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    lkrupp said:
    What you say sounds good, but it isn't the reality here.
    I find Apple Maps better in some urban locations, but Google Maps better in non urban locations.
    Also I find Google street view very valuable on occasion.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Personally, I like it a lot. I think Apple makes it right most of the time. Accuracy is greater than 95%. Easy to use, pleasant experience, fast loading and conveniently tied up with other Apple services are only a few of the positive experiences when using Apple maps transit. At least in big town (I live in Sydney), I can say it is above the level of Google Map transit.
    lolliverlostkiwibadmonkmagman1979
  • Reply 15 of 15
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    lkrupp said:
    I was recently in Spain where Apple maps consistently failed to give accurate or even ANY public transit directions. 

Not only did google maps perform better, it allowed superb functionality even after data and wifi were lost. 

I love AM but I give credit where credit is due. GM aline got us where we needed to go.