Samsung issues global recall of Galaxy Note 7, replacement program announced

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    What would Apple do? 

Deny, deny, dey. State that it only affect 0.000001% of products. 

"Your charging it wrong". 

A recall on your flagship? An unthinkable prospect from Apple. That's a fact. 

Apple began replacing bent phones immediately.  Take a hike, troll.
    equality72521nolamacguySpamSandwichstevehbigDeelronlostkiwidysamoriamagman1979lolliver
  • Reply 22 of 80
    the Apple haters and Samsung apologists are all over it on MR -- "at least they're honest about it", "couldn't have asked for a better response", "have to hand it to them for being in front of this" etc etc... these same people would go apeshit if this was the iPhone. 
    Well to be fair, when one purchases an Apple product they are expecting a certain level of quality. When people purchase a Samsung product they are expecting the cheapest price for a spec list.

I can envision the Verge's article headline about this "Apple's latest phone blown away by the competition!!!". Upon reading the article you find out a user accidentally left his iPhone on a charging Note 7.

I heard the sales on the latest Samsung Note were fantastic, a real blow out! /s
    After the Note 7's release, one could say Samsung's market share really blew up!
    edited September 2016 big
  • Reply 23 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    What would Apple do? 

nonsense. you're referring to the iPhone 4, and it was proven there was no issue -- from the AT&T dropped call data. Jobs also showed how death grips could affect attenuation of any internal antenna phone. further proof, they continued selling the exact same phone for years to come. 
    Actually Apple did soon change the antenna structure to avoid any repeat of possible iPhone 4 antenna issues in the original model. That's a fact. At the same time the issue certainly never rose to the level of being dangerous to users like the Note 7 is. At worst it was an inconvenience for a few folks. A recall wasn't justifiable. 
    edited September 2016 igorskybigstaticx57pscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 80
    the Apple haters and Samsung apologists are all over it on MR -- "at least they're honest about it", "couldn't have asked for a better response", "have to hand it to them for being in front of this" etc etc... these same people would go apeshit if this was the iPhone. 

when a phone w/ your name printed on it is blowing up and starting fires, you really have no choice but to be honest about it!

Exactly!  Not to mention the potential criminal liabilities they'd face if someone got hurt!  Amazing how willfully ignorant people are willing to be in public to defend a sleazebag company like Samsung.
    nolamacguychiabigpalominemagman1979ronn
  • Reply 25 of 80
    gatorguy said:
    While I don't particularly care for Samsung and their practices in this case they've handled it the way they should IMHO.  They got out in front of it, admitted almost immediately that there could be a problem rather than deny or misdirect.  Instead of delay they did the right thing and recalled the potentially affected units. Not up to "kudos to Samsung" levels but they certainly handled a bad situation responsibly.

Seems to me they had no other choice but to handle it the way they did, especially once the press got hold of it.
    bigpscooter63ronn
  • Reply 26 of 80
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    I'm thinking that this is due to a very aggressive circuit design for a fast charge; pure speculation on my part, but charge time is a marketable feature, and we know how Samsung loves to market its features.

Measure twice, cut once. Every company gets caught at times by the lack of extensive real world testing, Apple included, but Samsung happened to stumble on a worst case.
    edited September 2016 bigpalomine
  • Reply 27 of 80
    What would Apple do? 

Uh-oh! Generation Snowflake is feeling triggered...
    stevehbiglolliverronn
  • Reply 28 of 80
    gatorguy said:
    What would Apple do? 

nonsense. you're referring to the iPhone 4, and it was proven there was no issue -- from the AT&T dropped call data. Jobs also showed how death grips could affect attenuation of any internal antenna phone. further proof, they continued selling the exact same phone for years to come. 
    Actually Apple did soon change the antenna structure to avoid any repeat of possible iPhone 4 antenna issues in the original model. That's a fact. At the same time the issue certainly never rose to the level of being dangerous to users like the Note 7 is. At worst it was an inconvenience for a few folks. A recall wasn't justifiable. 
    that isn't what i said. yep of course they refined the design for the next-year's model -- every year's model improves the previous and is not noteworthy at all. but as you know these phones are at least 1-year out into design. meaning while today's new phone (ex: iPhone 7) is being released, the next year's (iPhone 2017) is already being designed. thus iterative improvement was not a response to the bogus controversy.

the ultimate proof is that they continued to sell the original iPhone 4, the *exact* same design, for years after because there wasn't a problem -- as the carrier data proved. thus the story dropped off the news cycle.

but you knew that.
    edited September 2016 tmayigorskystevehlostkiwifastasleeplolliverronn
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Just reaffirms my recent distaste for crApple. All they care about is iOS, iCloud, and social BS. I want my Mac stuff to just work like it used to. Not a newbie, been a Apple user since 1986 and they don't seem to care about me anymore.
    Let's count the troll tropes:

- distaste for Apple, check
    - "I've been an Apple fan since...", check
    - snark, none
    - Jobs reference, none

AI TrollScore (tm) -- 2
    edited September 2016 igorskyanantksundaramstevehbigequality72521mrboba1Deelronfastasleeplolliverronn
  • Reply 30 of 80
    Just reaffirms my recent distaste for crApple. All they care about is iOS, iCloud, and social BS. I want my Mac stuff to just work like it used to. Not a newbie, been a Apple user since 1986 and they don't seem to care about me anymore.
    Work like it used to?

I had a Mac 128 three weeks after they came out, and since then, and for the most part, every release of Apple's OS for Mac has been better than the previous, even given those "buggy" versions four or five years ago. Your complaint is light on specifics, but your impatience is noted from your previous post.

And for the record, no, Apple doesn't care about you the way you would like them to care about you; they are a business that makes business decisions that obviously don't agree with your timetable.
    Mike Wuerthelestevehbigfastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 31 of 80
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    gatorguy said:
    While I don't particularly care for Samsung and their practices in this case they've handled it the way they should IMHO.  They got out in front of it, admitted almost immediately that there could be a problem rather than deny or misdirect.  Instead of delay they did the right thing and recalled the potentially affected units. Not up to "kudos to Samsung" levels but they certainly handled a bad situation responsibly.

Lets keep this in perspective, they have no choose but to so this they can not afford to have their devices band from being used on a plane. Airlines are very sensitive to lithium type fires. Also they can not delay since the world of social media blows things out of proportion. Prior to Social media it would have taken company months before they would have know how bad the issue was.  
    nolamacguybiganantksundaramlolliver
  • Reply 32 of 80
    chiachia Posts: 714member
    What would Apple do? 

Apple AC Wall Plug Adapter Exchange Program
    https://www.apple.com/uk/support/ac-wallplug-adapter/
    igorskystevehbigcnocbuiDeelronlolliver
  • Reply 33 of 80
    gatorguy said:
    What would Apple do? 

that isn't what i said. sure, they refined the design for the next-year's model. but they continued to sell the original iPhone 4, the *exact* same design, for years after because there wasn't a problem -- as the carrier data proved. thus the story dropped off the news cycle.

but you knew that.
    Apple also provided a generous return policy, which, I'm guessing, wasn't used by many buyers. The iPhone 4 / 4s is considered by many to be the best design of iPhones to date.
    igorskystevehbiglolliverronnpscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 80
    igorsky said:
    What would Apple do? 

Apple began replacing bent phones immediately.  Take a hike, troll.
    How long did it take Apple to admit a problem with the 2011 MacBooks and issue an official repair protocol? A long time and a lawsuit.  Sorry, I love Apple products but when it comes to recalls and admitting a problem they are very bad in that category. And yes the iPhone 4 antenna thing was BS from the get go.  
    edited September 2016 singularity
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Well to be fair, when one purchases an Apple product they are expecting a certain level of quality. When people purchase a Samsung product they are expecting the cheapest price for a spec list.

I can envision the Verge's article headline about this "Apple's latest phone blown away by the competition!!!". Upon reading the article you find out a user accidentally left his iPhone on a charging Note 7.

I heard the sales on the latest Samsung Note were fantastic, a real blow out! /s
    After the Note 7's release, one could say Samsung's market share really blew up!
    Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 is blowing up on social media... and in the real world!
    minisu1980bignolamacguy
  • Reply 36 of 80
    chiachia Posts: 714member

I feel sorry for you:
    You must feel so empty in life for you to get pleasure by trolling a comment board.

If  using "crApple" products is making you depressed then products from other IT companies are available.  I trust you've known this since 1986?
    lolliverronn
  • Reply 37 of 80
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    What would Apple do? 

What is with you Samsung folks?  Who CARES what Apple would do in this situation, they are NOT in this situation. That's a fact.

Responses like this truly make me laugh. I read a comment on a different site yesterday when this whole thing was shaking out. A person went on a long tirade about Apple's  best years being behind them.... and they sell over priced crappy 2 year old tech to sheep,  and how the Apple watch is a total flop and the Gear 2 is clearly better.

It's like...ummmm what?
    igorskySpamSandwichchiamrboba1Deelronfastasleeplolliverronnpscooter63
  • Reply 38 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    gatorguy said:
    What would Apple do? 

that isn't what i said. yep of course they refined the design for the next-year's model -- every year's model improves the previous and is not noteworthy at all. but as you know these phones are at least 1-year out into design. meaning while today's new phone (ex: iPhone 7) is being released, the next year's (iPhone 2017) is already being designed. thus iterative improvement was not a response to the bogus controversy.

the ultimate proof is that they continued to sell the original iPhone 4, the *exact* same design, for years after because there wasn't a problem -- as the carrier data proved. thus the story dropped off the news cycle.

but you knew that.
    That's not all that I was referring to. There were reports, including one from iFixit, that sometime mid-cycle Apple began adding a nonconductive coating to the metal band on the sides of the iPhone4 to fix the potential signal drop that might occur when the antennas halves were bridged. 

...and no I'm not accusing you of knowing that.  
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 39 of 80

All customers who have purchased a Galaxy Note 7 will be able to swap the device for a new one "over the coming weeks" according to Samsung. How this will be accomplished for the hundreds of thousands of owners in the 20 countries the device is available has not been announced.

Best nugget so far... It's been on sale for two weeks now and there are only "hundreds of thousands" out there?
    When Apple opens up for pre-orders for the iPhone 7, there will be "hundreds of thousands" per hour if not more.
    biganantksundaramchialostkiwipscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    What would Apple do? 

When has any of the iPhones exploded due to a component? 
    bigericthehalfbeeronn