Apple warns investors it won't announce iPhone 7 opening weekend sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Makes sense to me, but I can see the doom and gloom crowd running with this and spewing hate that Apple won't release them because no one wants the phone. So we get to put up with this nonsense until the quarterly report I guess.
    I doubt this phone will be a flop, but despite the positive spin, outside of the 7Plus cameras, this is mostly just an iterative improvement over the 6s, without a headphone jack, and poorly thought out transition provisions for that removal.

The black finishes are beautiful, and are going to motivate many headphone jack or no, but in the end, Apple's sales were already in decline, whether due to an inflated 6 surge, or general disinterest with not enough compelling new features. I'm not sure there's enough offered in the 7 to set it apart from the 6s, and instead of a compelling new reason to buy, there's one big one missing -- and one that's affecting the common user. The headphone jack story is everywhere -- you didn't hear them talking about Force Touch that way.

So Apple is initially going to lose a certain amount of sales for dropping the headphone jack. Once the phone has been out a while that may turn around, but initially it's going to affect sales performance. The fact Apple has chosen this particular model to change their reporting policy is naturally going to be suspect, as well it should. Again appearance is everything. When Tim Cook sold all that stock last week before the release of a new phone, it had the appearance of being suspect. Even though there was likely nothing nefarious going on, it had the appearance. And companies have to be aware of making these kinds of decisions and how they will be perceived. This isn't the first time Cook and co. Appear to be tone deaf to this kind of thing.

This is a fair complaint.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    mac_128 said:
    Makes sense to me, but I can see the doom and gloom crowd running with this and spewing hate that Apple won't release them because no one wants the phone. So we get to put up with this nonsense until the quarterly report I guess.
    I doubt this phone will be a flop, but despite the positive spin, outside of the 7Plus cameras, this is mostly just an iterative improvement over the 6s, without a headphone jack, and poorly thought out transition provisions for that removal.

The black finishes are beautiful, and are going to motivate many headphone jack or no, but in the end, Apple's sales were already in decline, whether due to an inflated 6 surge, or general disinterest with not enough compelling new features. I'm not sure there's enough offered in the 7 to set it apart from the 6s, and instead of a compelling new reason to buy, there's one big one missing -- and one that's affecting the common user. The headphone jack story is everywhere -- you didn't hear them talking about Force Touch that way.

So Apple is initially going to lose a certain amount of sales for dropping the headphone jack. Once the phone has been out a while that may turn around, but initially it's going to affect sales performance. The fact Apple has chosen this particular model to change their reporting policy is naturally going to be suspect, as well it should. Again appearance is everything. When Tim Cook sold all that stock last week before the release of a new phone, it had the appearance of being suspect. Even though there was likely nothing nefarious going on, it had the appearance. And companies have to be aware of making these kinds of decisions and how they will be perceived. This isn't the first time Cook and co. Appear to be tone deaf to this kind of thing.

This is a fair complaint.
    if only they thought of these things. poor guys. 

smh. it's a misnomer that each annual iteration is supposed to somehow amaze you when compared to the one immediately prior. owners of the prior one aren't the main market since only phone nerds upgrade annually. but to owners of older iPhones (I still know people with 4s) this is awesome. to non iPhone owners this is awesome. the point of iterative improvement is to keep making it better and better. 
  • Reply 43 of 70
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Of course as they're still doing it with the Apple Watch!!!
  • Reply 44 of 70
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    gatorguy said:
    ...today's Apple is somehow worth $95b less than the Apple of Sept 2012?  

I'm not seeing how that makes any sense.  

And so I'll remain long.
    And so I'll stay out of the market. :)
    I've mentioned before I don't invest in anything that doesn't make sense. The stock market is one of those things. 
    Investing in shares that consistently deliver good dividends in terms of yield I can understand, the rest is just a ponzi scheme.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    gatorguy said:
    By the way, T-Mo will be offering free 32gb iPhone 7's with iPhone 6 or newer trade-in beginning tomorrow. That's a great deal!

"Starting September 9 at 12:01am PT, all new and current T-Mobile customers can pre-order a new iPhone 7 from T-Mobile and get up to $650 in monthly bill credits over 24 months when they trade-in their iPhone 6 or newer model. Want a different model or more memory? Just pay a little more upfront."

What's free? All it really is, is a trade in deal. You are trading in your currant phone and getting so much for it, and getting that much knocked off the price of the new phone whatever phone you want. If you want the 7+ with 256 Gig's, it's still going to cost you quite a bit. There's nothing FREE. There's no Apple discount or deal to T-Mobile. So it's up to $650 which I'm sure is a perfect iPhone 6S+ with 128 Gig's of Ram. Which when new was about $1000, right? So a $350 loss in a year. Not to bad. In no way is it FREE. Well I guess if you trade in your 6S+ with 128 GIg's for a iPhone 7 with 32 gig's. Smaller phone with a fraction of the memory, I guess it may be close to a free phone that way!!! Maybe if you get the SE version, you'd get some money on top of it.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    gatorguy said:

And so I'll remain long.
    And so I'll stay out of the market.
    I've mentioned before I don't invest in anything that doesn't make sense. The stock market is one of those things. 
    Investing in shares that consistently deliver good dividends in terms of yield I can understand, the rest is just a ponzi scheme.
    Tell that to Warren Buffet
    You sir are no Warren Buffett. Tho you could be a Warren Buffet. ;)
    edited September 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 47 of 70
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:
    This is a massive upgrade for anyone who has a 4s/5/5s/5c. And there are hundreds of millions of those people.
    If those users of old iPhone didn't upgrade for years what makes you think they will upgrade now? Many of the users of the old phones received them as hand me downs and are not financially prepared to pay for their own brand new phone.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 48 of 70
    jbdragon said:
    gatorguy said:
    By the way, T-Mo will be offering free 32gb iPhone 7's with iPhone 6 or newer trade-in beginning tomorrow. That's a great deal!

"Starting September 9 at 12:01am PT, all new and current T-Mobile customers can pre-order a new iPhone 7 from T-Mobile and get up to $650 in monthly bill credits over 24 months when they trade-in their iPhone 6 or newer model. Want a different model or more memory? Just pay a little more upfront."

What's free? All it really is, is a trade in deal. You are trading in your currant phone and getting so much for it, and getting that much knocked off the price of the new phone whatever phone you want. If you want the 7+ with 256 Gig's, it's still going to cost you quite a bit. There's nothing FREE. There's no Apple discount or deal to T-Mobile. So it's up to $650 which I'm sure is a perfect iPhone 6S+ with 128 Gig's of Ram. Which when new was about $1000, right? So a $350 loss in a year. Not to bad. In no way is it FREE. Well I guess if you trade in your 6S+ with 128 GIg's for a iPhone 7 with 32 gig's. Smaller phone with a fraction of the memory, I guess it may be close to a free phone that way!!! Maybe if you get the SE version, you'd get some money on top of it.
    Why don't you investigate the deal before so quickly dismissing it under the assumption you already know it all? You can check for yourself tomorrow. BTW, the "free" deal applies to the 7 not the 7+, tho I'm sure you read that. 

According to T-Mo this is how it works (via BGR):

The carrier says that the 32GB iPhone 7 is indeed free of charge as long as you’ve paid off your existing iPhone and trade it in.

T-Mobile explained that the free iPhone 7 trade-up offer is made of two parts including the value of your iPhone 6/6s trade-in and a monthly bill credit to your new iPhone 7 monthly equipment installment payment. After 24 months, the iPhone 7 would cost $0.

To qualify, you need to trade in an iPhone 6/6s or Plus versions that you own. The device has to work properly — that means no water damage or shattered display.

You also need a 24-month no cost finance agreement with T-Mobile at the end of which you’ll get the iPhone 7 for $0. If you want to leave before your two years are up, you’ll have to either pay the outstanding balance to own the iPhone or turn it in.

A trade-in price chart follows below.

iphone-7-trade-in-t-mobile-pricing

edited September 2016
  • Reply 49 of 70
    hodar said:

If Apple is not going to release the opening weekend sales ....  Odds are pretty good that there is a really good reason.  I submit that the sales will be dismal and disappointing.

Yes, that's exactly the reason...because Apple's good reason is that they took away the headphone jack on purpose knowing sales will be dismal and disappointing and so they don't want to report their numbers anymore.

Do you even hear yourself?

radarthekatai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 70
    sog35 said:
    hodar said:

There is a reason Apple does what Apple does.  Apple doesn't do anything "randomly".

If Apple is not going to release the opening weekend sales ....  Odds are pretty good that there is a really good reason.  I submit that the sales will be dismal and disappointing.

I am hardly the first one to say that the iPhone 7 wasn't the BIG announcement that everyone was hoping for.  It was a let-down for many, and while I like the longer battery life; for me, losing the headphone jack isn't worth the cost.  When I drive, I use my iPhone for navigation, listen to music, and I also charge my phone.  Currently, I can do all this with ease - Apple took this away.

Why?  "Because the Headphone jack is 100 years old".  Sorry, BS.  Buttons are older than that, surprisingly they didn't take off the buttons.  If they said "We wanted waterproof and dustproofing, and the headphone jack made this nearly impossible - that is a reason.  100 years old is just elitist BS.  Perhaps this "marketing company" didn't look at what people are actually using.  Why do I want to get rid of my car, so I can use a $800 phone?  Do I want to upgrade my car stereo and toss my $5 cable so I can use a $1,200+ car stereo that does EXACTLY the same thing?  This is an expensive step backwards, for negligible improvement.  Bluetooth 4.2 specs just do not provide adequate audiophile quality, unless you are purchasing Bluetooth equipment that meets the 4.2 specs on the transmit and receive side - and on the receive side, we are talking the more expensive articles, not the stuff you are going to find at most stores.

I believe that removing the headphone jack will impact the sales of the new iPhone.  I am giving serious thought into sitting out this upgrade cycle and waiting for the next iPhone before giving up my iPhone 6.

Your car does not have a USB port?  Damn man, get a new car already.

You sound a like a cry baby complaining that cars don't come with casette players anymore. MOVE ON. TECH IS ALWAYS MOVING FORWARD. MOVE FORWARD or just fall behind.

Maybe the iPhone 7 just isn't made for you. Go stick with your older iPhone and be happy. But for hundreds of millions of other people, we love NEW TECHNOLOGY and GOING FORWARD not backwards or stagnant.  
    Yeah.  I mean, any time you have the opportunity to force tens of millions of people to use a dongle, you have to do it
  • Reply 51 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mac_128 said:

How was it poorly thought out? 
    I guess they could've given out free adaptors. Oh wait, they did. 

Or allow a Lightning connection on headphones. Oh wait, they did. 

or offer wireless earbuds. Oh wait, they did. 
    tmayai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 70
    sog35 said:
    hodar said:

There is a reason Apple does what Apple does.  Apple doesn't do anything "randomly".

I am hardly the first one to say that the iPhone 7 wasn't the BIG announcement that everyone was hoping for.  It was a let-down for many, and while I like the longer battery life; for me, losing the headphone jack isn't worth the cost.  When I drive, I use my iPhone for navigation, listen to music, and I also charge my phone.  Currently, I can do all this with ease - Apple took this away.

Why?  "Because the Headphone jack is 100 years old".  Sorry, BS.  Buttons are older than that, surprisingly they didn't take off the buttons.  If they said "We wanted waterproof and dustproofing, and the headphone jack made this nearly impossible - that is a reason.  100 years old is just elitist BS.  Perhaps this "marketing company" didn't look at what people are actually using.  Why do I want to get rid of my car, so I can use a $800 phone?  Do I want to upgrade my car stereo and toss my $5 cable so I can use a $1,200+ car stereo that does EXACTLY the same thing?  This is an expensive step backwards, for negligible improvement.  Bluetooth 4.2 specs just do not provide adequate audiophile quality, unless you are purchasing Bluetooth equipment that meets the 4.2 specs on the transmit and receive side - and on the receive side, we are talking the more expensive articles, not the stuff you are going to find at most stores.

I believe that removing the headphone jack will impact the sales of the new iPhone.  I am giving serious thought into sitting out this upgrade cycle and waiting for the next iPhone before giving up my iPhone 6.

You sound a like a cry baby complaining that cars don't come with casette players anymore. MOVE ON. TECH IS ALWAYS MOVING FORWARD. MOVE FORWARD or just fall behind.

Maybe the iPhone 7 just isn't made for you. Go stick with your older iPhone and be happy. But for hundreds of millions of other people, we love NEW TECHNOLOGY and GOING FORWARD not backwards or stagnant.  
    Yeah.  I mean, any time you have the opportunity to force tens of millions of people to use a dongle, you have to do it
    i have no intention of using the dongle. sure my car has USB, and Bluetooth, so its a nonstarter. but if i didn't i could install a cheap Sony car stereo and done (we did this for my SO's vehicle years ago). but if i didn't want to do that, i could buy a BT dingus that plugs into the 3.5mm AUX jack, and done.

during the day indoors for my conference calls, i plan on using either the supplied wired headphones (done), or the AirPods (done) which get plentiful battery at 24 hours in the case and a quick 15-min charge time for 3 hours. the new Beats only need 5 mins. 

so, done, done, done and done. plenty of solutions, no need for crying...ill live and likely enjoy it. 
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 70
    Now Sprint too has jumped in with offers for a "free iPhone 7".  For anyone with a base model iPhone 6 both TMobile and Sprint have incredibly good deals.

There's no trickery either. From Sprint's disclaimer:
    "Trade in of eligible device: iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPhone 6s/6s Plus. Phone trade in must be unlocked, deactivated & all personal data deleted before trade-in and in good working order; device powers on and there are no broken, missing or cracked pieces. Device will not be returned. Higher memory configurations and iPhone 7+ will receive the same amount of trade-in credit and will not be free. Current customers most own trade in device"
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 54 of 70
    mac_128 said:
    So Apple is initially going to lose a certain amount of sales for dropping the headphone jack. Once the phone has been out a while that may turn around, but initially it's going to affect sales performance.
    Hard to say, but I'm going to say that the "loss" will be negligible.

The only customers that will be swayed against an iPhone (since many concerned may just get a new 6S or SE instead of 7) based on the headphone jack "tragedy"will be those 1% that often listen to music/video while charging AND must use an analog headphone jack at the same time.  I think most in this 1% category will plan to get a BT earphone and move on in life.

And in 2 years time, 95% of all smartphone users will own at least one BT headphone.
    ...and by then, Apple will probably include a BT earphone in the iPhone box.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 70
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    hodar said:

Now you're being forced to buy an iPhone 7? No wonder Apple makes so much money when customer have no choice in what products they are allowed to buy¡
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 70
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    So basically Apple is saying launch weekend orders will be the same or less than last year and that's really not anything worthy of a press release.
    Basically Apple is saying they will and always be sold out at every launch weekend, so what is the point of announce it? It is meaningless number that is limited only by the supply not demand.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 57 of 70
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    gatorguy said:

gatorguy said:

And so I'll remain long.
    And so I'll stay out of the market.
    I just checked the math and see I have had a 2,420% increase in my Apple stock at today's price.  I'd say it made sense for me but I take your point.
    I made a lot on Qualcomm back in the day too, and at the time I wasn't as concerned with whether "the price made sense". Heck, EVERY tech stock was up, and some by a 1000% or more, back in the 90"s when I did do some investing and didn't have someplace better for my money. I had friends that literally used a dartboard for stock picks. Seriously. We all thought we were some of the smartest investors around. We weren't. 
    I was agreeing with you.  I was just lucky a hunch payed off.  It was purely based on my belief Steve would make a difference. It is basically a casino.

Here you go guys. I do a little writing of my thoughts on what I've learned in 24 years of investing. There's even a response in here for those who say the market is just a casino. Enjoy...

The first level of wisdom a prospective investor hears and integrates is the old saw about diversification. And that's about as far as it goes for many.  The problem with diversification is that, even if you are diversified, you'll still likely have in your portfolio several holdings that don't fit the definition of a good investment.

Those who go a bit farther in their studies begin to have a more nuanced comprehension and come to realize that not all businesses and opportunities represent investments. So what do these other businesses and opportunities represent if not investments? The answer is that anything that isn't an investment is speculation.  To be successful with individual stocks/businesses, you should carry in your mind a definition of these two concepts.  Here are my working definitions of the two terms:

"An investment is a commitment to holding a security as long as the underlying fundamentals and business prospects remain intact." 

Take Apple, for example. Apple shares are an investment as long as Apple continues to perform as well as it is currently performing. As long as it continues to generate the revenues and earnings it is currently generating.  Even if neither rise.

"Speculation is a bet on some future outcome, either positive or negative, that would materially change the fortunes of a business."

Note that the main difference here is that an investment relies upon the continuation of the status quo while speculation is a bet against the status quo.  

GT Advanced Technologies (GTAT), a maker of solar manufacturing equipment, is an example of a speculative bet, and one that went terribly wrong for those who made that bet.  In 2012 and 2013, GTAT saw its solar business collapse under the weight of competition from Chinese manufacturers.  Late in 2013, GTAT partnered with Apple to manufacture sapphire displays, presumably for use on the iPhone 6.  GTAT needed that partnership to go well; it represented GTAT’s lifeline to a corporate reboot, a chance to reinvent itself in a new line of business in which it had little experience.  That reinvention, if successful, would materially enhance the value of the company.  If a failure, it would mark the collapse of GTAT as a viable business.  GTAT did fail, and filed for bankruptcy protection.  In the process, the share price went from a high of about $20 to about 40 cents.  Many of those holding the shares indignantly complained in online forums that their investment was wiped out by unscrupulous actions of GTAT's CEO and management team.  They weren’t wrong about the actions of GTAT’s management, but they were wrong in characterizing their GTAT holdings as an investment.  These people were speculating and paid a high price.

It's those who don't understand the difference between an investment and a speculative bet who always end up convinced the market is rigged. These folks likely put money into one or more companies with business models that represented a speculative bet on some unlikely outcome, lost their money and associated that experience with the entire experience of participating in the market. How many times have you heard someone say the stock market is like a casino? Well, I liken the stock market, at the hands of a participant who has done his/her research and applied appropriate metrics, to a casino where you get to see your blackjack hand and the dealer’s up card before you place your bet and where you have the option of betting big, betting small, or not betting at all on each hand. The odds are strongly in your favor, but you can still do something foolish.  If you get your head on straight, stick to securities that represent a valid investment according to the above definition, and avoid speculation, at least until you have learned the hedging and other strategies associated with successful speculation, you’ll increase both your chances of a successful investment career and your returns throughout that career.

CONCENTRATION VERSUS DIVERSIFICATION

With the above in mind, you also need to be able to follow, closely, your investments. To follow a business, you need to understand the business and its success factors, its marketplace, its competition, how it compares to that competition, what technological changes are on the horizon that might impact the business, the legal, regulatory, and political landscape associated with the business, etc. Even so-called professional analysts, because they attempt to cover multiple, often many, businesses, nearly always get it wrong on a large and well followed and reported-on business like Apple.  How many people can follow even three companies, in three different industries, with different metrics as measures of success? How many even know the metrics of success for even one company in which they take a position? Stock picking, itself, is for the vast majority of those who participate, casino betting. Diversification, in this context, is appropriate since you would want to limit exposure to any individual bet.

With the definition of investment in hand, it's a matter of screening for companies that are structurally sound; strong earnings at a relatively low multiple, solid balance sheet with net tangible assets not far below total stockholder equity (i.e., little of the company's assets represented by the Goodwill and Intangible Assets line items), and plenty of cash/cash equivalents to carry the company through downturns or changes in the direction of the business.

Also look for a history of organic growth versus acquisition-based growth, a strong brand and competitive position, no significant impediments to growth, no significant risks such as lawsuits or potential for lawsuits (think medical device manufacturers and the hip implant lawsuits that have cost them billions), and technological leadership (which can be associated with the company's product technology or associated with process technology or even marketing technology; you want some significant technology lead that gives the company a clear edge).

There are other things to look for, some that depend upon the particular business. I look for a business that excels in whatever metrics are most critical for success and growth in the industry/segment in which the business participates. And it should be comprehensible to a non-expert in the field; buy what you know.

The temperament and discipline to stay the course and not get thrashed moving from one stock to another can be bolstered by having strong confidence in the businesses in which you place your investable funds, so knowing the workings of each business and its competitive environment is key. And that leads to the question... how much can you know about 10 businesses versus two or three at-a-time?  The answer is obvious and points to the fact that you should consider concentrating your holdings only when you know a business cold, and diversify your holdings when you don’t.  And leave speculation to those who know how to win at that game.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 58 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    kevin kee said:
    So basically Apple is saying launch weekend orders will be the same or less than last year and that's really not anything worthy of a press release.
    Basically Apple is saying they will and always be sold out at every launch weekend, so what is the point of announce it? It is meaningless number that is limited only by the supply not demand.
    If it was meaningless then why did they announce it after every launch weekend before this upcoming one? 
    rogifan_newsingularity
  • Reply 59 of 70
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    jbdragon said:
    gatorguy said:

Why don't you investigate the deal before so quickly dismissing it under the assumption you already know it all? You can check for yourself tomorrow. BTW, the "free" deal applies to the 7 not the 7+, tho I'm sure you read that. 

According to T-Mo this is how it works (via BGR):

The carrier says that the 32GB iPhone 7 is indeed free of charge as long as you’ve paid off your existing iPhone and trade it in.

T-Mobile explained that the free iPhone 7 trade-up offer is made of two parts including the value of your iPhone 6/6s trade-in and a monthly bill credit to your new iPhone 7 monthly equipment installment payment. After 24 months, the iPhone 7 would cost $0.

To qualify, you need to trade in an iPhone 6/6s or Plus versions that you own. The device has to work properly — that means no water damage or shattered display.

You also need a 24-month no cost finance agreement with T-Mobile at the end of which you’ll get the iPhone 7 for $0. If you want to leave before your two years are up, you’ll have to either pay the outstanding balance to own the iPhone or turn it in.

A trade-in price chart follows below.

iphone-7-trade-in-t-mobile-pricing

There must be some type of catch?  No?

You are basically getting $650 for a 2 year old phone? The only thing you need to do is stay with T-mobile for 2 years? 

I'm already on T-mobile and own my phones outright. So I can basically trade in my iPhone6 and get an iPhone7 for free? And my plan stays the same? 

I must be missing something.
    Let us know tomorrow. 
  • Reply 60 of 70
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    drewys808 said:
    mac_128 said:
    So Apple is initially going to lose a certain amount of sales for dropping the headphone jack. Once the phone has been out a while that may turn around, but initially it's going to affect sales performance.
    Hard to say, but I'm going to say that the "loss" will be negligible.

The only customers that will be swayed against an iPhone (since many concerned may just get a new 6S or SE instead of 7) based on the headphone jack "tragedy"will be those 1% that often listen to music/video while charging AND must use an analog headphone jack at the same time.  I think most in this 1% category will plan to get a BT earphone and move on in life.

And in 2 years time, 95% of all smartphone users will own at least one BT headphone.
    ...and by then, Apple will probably include a BT earphone in the iPhone box.
    Well, I'd love to see where you're getting your numbers. I don't have much to go on, but I do have this one survey which suggests that up to 20% of potential upgraders might reconsider upgrading to the 7 over the headphone jack. 

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/01/10/we.took.a.few.hours.on.saturday.to.ask.apple.shoppers.what.they.thought.131986

Yes I realize it's one survey, but I haven't seen any others that represents a sample of "average" customers. Polls on tech sites don't count. 

And who's calling it a tragedy? Certainly not me. I'm all for Lightning. But I think they're mishandling the removal of the Lightning jack. The fact that they are bundling a set of Lightning headphones in the box in their push toward wireless, but then requiring the customer to use an old set of headphones with their other Apple products, like their Mac, and not providing a simple way to charge and listen at the same time is kind of botched in my opinion. 

While I might not disagree with your 95% of people who use headphones with their iPhone will have one pair of BT headphones within 2 years, I take great exception to your 1% claims. Show me something ... anything that backs up this claim, and maybe you'll have a point. Until then, it's wishful thinking on your part. Even now when I fly I plug in my iPhone, even though I listen with BT. If Apple had bundled AirPods in every box it would be a different discussion, but they didn't. They put wired headphones in the box, with only one port to plug them in. So anyone using them in any transportation environment, heck even in a starbucks, won't be able to charge and listen without an adapter. That's just a basic use case, and I'll wager it goes way past the 1% figure you're claiming -- especially since Apple is encouraging the continued use of wires with their Lightning headphones, and free adapter (a huge mistake in my opinion).  Moreover, they're including wired Lightning headphones they can't use on anything else besides newer iOS devices, including their Macs, further encouraging the use of 3.5mm headphones even with their new iPhones that come with a Lightning pair.

So yes this is a problem, and it's going to affect sales. Even 1% of 200 million is 2 million iPhones! That's pretty significant.