iPhone 7 Plus has 3GB RAM, is fastest iOS device ever according to benchmark

Posted:
in iPhone
Possible benchmarks for the iPhone 7 Plus have materialized, potentially confirming rumors about the device shipping with 3GB of application RAM, as well as dramatically improved performance over the iPhone 6s Plus.

An "iPhone 9,4" was discovered in the GeekBench database on Thursday running the Golden Master version of iOS, version 10.0.1. The low-power high-efficiency processors heralded by Apple at the "See You on Sept. 7" event don't appear to be included by name in the testing, with the processor listed as an ARM dual-core device, running at 2.23 GHz.

The "iPhone 9,4" posts a single-core aggregate benchmark of 3233, as compared to the iPhone 6s Plus pulling down a 2508. Multi-core performance on the new device is listed as 5363, with the 6s Plus coming in at 4106.

While the benchmark for the device appears legit, the authenticity of the single test cannot be verified at this time.

Other Apple devices have been benchmarked using GeekBench 4 as well. The iPad Air 2 with a three-core A8X processor benchmarks at 1732 for single-core, and 2697 for multi-core. The third-generation iPad with a dual-core A5X processor is only 327 for single-core, and peaks at 562 for multi-core performance.

The 12.9-inch iPad pro with A9X processor hits 3010 for single-core performance, and 4910 on multiple core tests.

The iMac 17,1, also known as the late 2015 Retina iMac 5K with 27-inch screen and i7 processor running at 4GHz has a single-core performance of 5199. The same iMac's multiple core performance is measured at 16722.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    That's great if true, it really destroys any other mobile CPU, GPU should be the same. I will run a battery of benchmarks when I receive mine on the 16th.
    williamlondoncali
  • Reply 2 of 48
    donth8 said:
    That's great if true, it really destroys any other mobile CPU, GPU should be the same. I will run a battery of benchmarks when I receive mine on the 16th.
    The GPU should be the PowerVR GT7600Plus (the A9 used the GT7600) so it's about double the GFLOPS over the prior model, as well as being more feature capable.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    I'm curious, is it only the 7 Plus that has 3GB RAM or does the 7 have the same amount of RAM as well?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Now I have to learn to tap and type fast to keep up with speed of device. Very important.
    zroger73chabigstevehMacBAircnocbui
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Has anyone seen any benchmarks for the S2 SoC in the second generation watch?

I am thinking of getting the watch. Hopefully Apple will one day include an LTE modem. 
  • Reply 6 of 48
    I'm curious, is it only the 7 Plus that has 3GB RAM or does the 7 have the same amount of RAM as well?
    Apparently both do. 
  • Reply 7 of 48
    No, I think the 7 still has 2 GB. They say the 7 plus has 3 because of the extra processing required for both cameras.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    donth8 said:
    No, I think the 7 still has 2 GB. They say the 7 plus has 3 because of the extra processing required for both cameras.
    It takes another 1 GB of RAM to process an extra 3 MB photo? Nah.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    zroger73 said:
    donth8 said:
    Well, the fact it pushes out a 3MB photo doesn't tell anything about memory usage or performance impact when the photo being taken. Also, the Plus has more screen resolution. These two factors proabbly tipped it over the 2GB edge. And, there's no such thing as adding less memory, e.g 256MB, which would be a more expensive and less performance optimized alternative. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Sadly the Soc upgrade is not important as the screen density is outdated. Pretty sure they are saving that for next year.   Nice of apple for giving people 720p displays on the 4.7 model.   Some $100 phone has a better display. 
    croprcnocbui
  • Reply 11 of 48
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    zroger73 said:
    donth8 said:
    Each 12 MP takes at least 34 MEGABYTES to be allocated. Now think about it - the Plus are using both cameras and they take multiple shots at once and they have to do several processing filters within 30 milliseconds. That requires a lot of RAM. Suppose it takes 10 shots and does all the processing... that requires at least 680 MB of RAM. So it makes sense that the Plus needs one more 1GB of RAM.
    edited September 2016 jkichlineericthehalfbeeuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 48
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    What is surprising is that iPhone 7 Plus is already FASTER than iPad Pro! Just think how it keeps getting faster and faster with no signs of leveling off at all. So, I can see how Apple may eventually use ARM chips in future Macs. Their chip is just way MUCH faster in terms of performance per watt. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 48
    vision33r said:
    Sadly the Soc upgrade is not important as the screen density is outdated. Pretty sure they are saving that for next year.   Nice of apple for giving people 720p displays on the 4.7 model.   Some $100 phone has a better display. 
    That $100 phone will provide its user with endless UI lag and animation stutter as well as poor battery life because the cheap MediaTek SOC will be running flat out just to push that many pixels. Stupid is as stupid does.
    netroxcaliDeelronchianolamacguylkruppwaverboyjkichlinelostkiwiericthehalfbee
  • Reply 14 of 48
    netrox said:
    What is surprising is that iPhone 7 Plus is already FASTER than iPad Pro! Just think how it keeps getting faster and faster with no signs of leveling off at all. So, I can see how Apple may eventually use ARM chips in future Macs. Their chip is just way MUCH faster in terms of performance per watt. 

Yep, the iPhone 7 is faster than the entry level MacBook, on both single (3233 vs. 2668) and multi-core (5363 vs. 4886). It's faster than the top line MacBook on single core (3233 vs. 2831) and fairly close on multi-core (5363 vc. 6008). Two more years of this kind of improvement and the iPhone might be benchmarking better than half the Mac line. Something's gotta give.
    netroxwilliamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 48
    bsimpsen said:
    netrox said:

Yep, the iPhone 7 is faster than the entry level MacBook, on both single (3233 vs. 2668) and multi-core (5363 vs. 4886). It's faster than the top line MacBook on single core (3233 vs. 2831) and fairly close on multi-core (5363 vc. 6008). Two more years of this kind of improvement and the iPhone might be benchmarking better than half the Mac line. Something's gotta give.
    Imagine they didn't throttle it in a device that had more cooling and wattage available (did I get that right?) with which to contend, such as the AppleTV, or perhaps one day a laptop with A-series. Wonder how this would scream in one of those housings. Very impressive to get all that in a phone, how far before these mobile devices render the need for faster machines for the masses (not those who need power for work and such, but the email/social networking/internet browsing masses) moot?
  • Reply 16 of 48
    bsimpsen said:
    netrox said:

Imagine they didn't throttle it in a device that had more cooling and wattage available (did I get that right?) with which to contend, such as the AppleTV, or perhaps one day a laptop with A-series. Wonder how this would scream in one of those housings. Very impressive to get all that in a phone, how far before these mobile devices render the need for faster machines for the masses (not those who need power for work and such, but the email/social networking/internet browsing masses) moot?
    Theres no secret to the A series, it is the transistor count. At 3.3 billion it is by far the largest cpu ever. It is quite a bit more than the A9 and 1 billion more than the A8. From Anandtech:

Apple SoC Evolution
     Die SizeTransistorsProcess
    A5122m2<1B45nm
    A697mm2<1B32nm
    A7102mm2>1B28nm
    A889mm2~2B20nm
    A996mm2/104.5mm2>2B14nm/16nm

For some other reference. The quad core i7 in my 2012 macbook pro retina has a paltry 1.4 billion transistors with a 1.2 billion transistor GPU. The thing is positively massive. Remember when the A7 came out and Apple said they were building desktop class CPUs, it is quite true.
    Solixiamenbillwelshdoguraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 48
    And just imagine what Apple has planned as far as MEMs devices, AI enabled devices, etc. for future products. I wonder if they ever hire any science-fiction writers to help them imagine what kind of a future they want to create?
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    zroger73 said:
    donth8 said:
    And Google's search engine servers only needs less than 4MiB RAM since they only push a webpage mostly filled with text¡
    jkichlineRayz2016SpamSandwich
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Who else is pre-ordering today? I think it will be 5PM in my country or over midnight in the State? The first few hours would be crazy. I wonder which countries that the pre-order will be available today. Do you think they open it for every countries?
  • Reply 20 of 48
    zroger73 said:
    donth8 said:
    A 12 megapixel camera produces a raw dataset of at least 36 MB. Apple has stated that the new camera captures "wide color", so we could assume that they are using at 16 bits per channel instead of 8 bits. Of course that is just the final raw data. If the camera is taking multiple photos in rapid succession for HDR or capture additional information, I could see this easily requiring more RAM to process. At least 512 MB.