Explosions prompt FAA to warn airline passengers against using Samsung Galaxy Note 7 in flight [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    staticx57 said:
    hexclock said:
    Wireless charging, in my opinion, is still very much a gimmick at this point. The device needs to be in contact with, or in very close proximity to, the charging pad. If you could walk around the house freely and have it charge, then you'd have something useful. I would rather take the extra 1.3 seconds to plug my phone in, and not burn my house down.  
    You know this is the result of wireless charging? You would think all the billions of other phones that came before with wireless charging and the billions of other phones that also have fast charging would have resulted in a lot more. The fact is the problem is not technology by the poor QC on this phone.

Seriously, this phone was rushed to market to beat the iPhone 7 and this is the result. It is not the result of wireless charging being the devil.
    Can we put a end to this wireless charging garbage.  It's mat charging if anything.  You have to our your phone onto something physical that is plugged into the wall to charge. It would be like WiFi only worked if your phone had to be sitting on top of your router.  Would you call that wireless?.  No!. It's as dumb as a so called hover board that doesn't hover but roles around on wheels.  More like a sideways skateboard.

caliwatto_cobraequality72521magman1979
  • Reply 42 of 62
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mbdrake76 said:
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_concerns_with_li_ion
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/23/lithium-ion-batteries-banned-as-cargo-on-passenger-flights
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/02/exploding-iphone-leaves-man-with-third-degree-burns/
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/more-exploding-iphones/

What's at fault?  Dodgy charger, the battery manufacturing Quality Control process, or both?  While Lithium Ion batteries are generally considered to be safe (else there would be no smartphones), there is still a risk.  If the manufacturing process/QC isn't up to much, you could be screwed.  If you use a badly made third party charger, you could be screwed.  It'd be nice if there was better battery tech that could do away with the uncertainties.

A rather poor attempt at deflection there. The iPhone battery ruptured because he fell off his bike and landed on the phone. That's not really the same as plugging your phone in and having it burn through your garage or set fire to your car or cause $18,000 damage to your hotel room. 

What the hell's going on?  We've got Samsung fans foaming at the mouth claiming that people are deliberately setting fire to their homes, and news rags reporting the news interspersed with paragraphs saying how great the phone is. 

If it's potentially lethal, it's not a great phone. 

nolamacguyronnchiawatto_cobracalimagman1979
  • Reply 43 of 62
    staticx57 said:
    hexclock said:
    Wireless charging, in my opinion, is still very much a gimmick at this point. The device needs to be in contact with, or in very close proximity to, the charging pad. If you could walk around the house freely and have it charge, then you'd have something useful. I would rather take the extra 1.3 seconds to plug my phone in, and not burn my house down.  
    You know this is the result of wireless charging? You would think all the billions of other phones that came before with wireless charging and the billions of other phones that also have fast charging would have resulted in a lot more. The fact is the problem is not technology by the poor QC on this phone.

Seriously, this phone was rushed to market to beat the iPhone 7 and this is the result. It is not the result of wireless charging being the devil.

• Reply 44 of 62
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    #bombgate

I encourage everyone to make this a trending hashtag like bendgate was.
    magman1979
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Bush's fault.  ;)
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 47 of 62
    ^^^ LMAO!
    magman1979
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Whoa whoa whoa, I think you guys are missing the issue here: This is trademark theft - Amazon owns the 'Fire Phone' and Samsung has insisted on copying once again. /s
    caliwatto_cobramagman1979rpeters
  • Reply 49 of 62
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    hexclock said:
    The one advantage I can see is it eliminates another potential entry point for water. Getting rid of a charging port closes up the casing just that bit more. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 50 of 62
    sog35 said:
    And this is EXACTLY why Apple does not rush features like wireless charging and fast charging until they are absolutely ready.

All you trolls can continue to say iPhones are missing key features.
    Yup, no exploding phones for Apple.
    As someone who has said Apple should be more bold in introducing new features, you have a good point.  But I think Apple is a victim of their own good quality and being conservative about new features.  Me and everyone I know that has a 6/6+ or 6S/6S+ are not upgrading.  Apple has done an excellent job of making a high quality phone that easily lasts for 3+ years and continues to get updates.  As long as Apple doesn't rely on the usual yearly or bi-yearly upgrades anymore to meet sales and profit targets.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

This is turning into a PR disaster for Samsung. The Teflon isn't slippery enough to let this one slide.
    The press will give Sammy a pass stating Sammy is 100% taking responsibility. 

Meanwhile those fools skewered Apple for not recalling iPhones during antenna gate. 
    watto_cobramagman1979ronn
  • Reply 52 of 62
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This one is good too. 
    singularitySpamSandwichwatto_cobramagman1979rpeters
  • Reply 53 of 62
    ^^^ LOL! These are good.
    watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Junk
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Witnessed it first hand last evening in Newark while boarding a plane to Tampa.  Not only large LCD screens on walls stating they must not be turned on or charged anywhere in the airport or on planes but also a verbal announcements.  Not exactly good publicity.  As an aside I will avoid Newark like the plague when transferring in the future.  I never realized how spoiled we are in this area with lovely Tampa airport.  Newark was horrible for a 4 hour layover, like something out of the 1960's with 2060 prices and no free WiFi  and what they had was terrible.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    ronnronn Posts: 658member
    PA announcements and signage galore in Arizona and Atlanta ( oddly enough, not in Roanoke's airport) and now this story in NY Post: http://nypost.com/2016/09/11/recalled-samsung-phone-explodes-in-little-boys-hands/

The Note line may never be able to recover from this PR disaster. And it's just beginning. Too many are holding on to these fire traps because the carriers can't/won't give loaner devices. Unfortunately, there'll be more explosions, injuries, and maybe even serious casualties.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ronn said:
    PA announcements and signage galore in Arizona and Atlanta ( oddly enough, not in Roanoke's airport) and now this story in NY Post: http://nypost.com/2016/09/11/recalled-samsung-phone-explodes-in-little-boys-hands/

The Note line may never be able to recover from this PR disaster. And it's just beginning. Too many are holding on to these fire traps because the carriers can't/won't give loaner devices. Unfortunately, there'll be more explosions, injuries, and maybe even serious casualties.
    They'll recover, because they don't have the mindshare. This is a story from the NY Post about a smartphone exploding in a child's hand while he's watching a video. It's been 12 hours since it was posted. If this was an iPhone the media outlets would have exploded faster to expose this threat than, well, the Note 7 actually explodes.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    ronnronn Posts: 658member
    Soli said:
    ronn said:

They'll recover, because they don't have the mindshare. This is a story from the NY Post about a smartphone exploding in a child's hand while he's watching a video. It's been 12 hours since it was posted. If this was an iPhone the media outlets would have exploded faster to expose this threat than, well, the Note 7 actually explodes.
    I'm not so sure. The NY Post isn't a small town paper. Their story was quoted by BGR, Android Authority, Android Central, Business Insider, and even the India Times (amongst others). People have been reporting announcements at airports (even one claim that passengers were told to turn off all Samsung phones, not just the Note 7) warning about this problem.

Their market value between Friday and today in S. Korea has plummeted by ~$19 billion. Reuters believes that instead of the initial estimate of $1 billion to clean up this mess, that the costs could reach $5 billion, or more. With replacements nowhere in sight, this will drag on for several weeks. I don't expect many buyers to wait that long. They'll return the current Note 7s, get other phones and that will hurt the Note brand. Maybe to the extent that it'll be a permanent mark against it.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    I just hope North Korea doesn't get it hands on Samsung's battery technology, imagine 1000 of these bad boys in one of their warheads! /s
  • Reply 60 of 62
    I was in T-Mobile this weekend switching from AT&T since they didn't honor their policy of upgrading customers on a FAN with subsidized phones and T-Mobile gave me a new Jet Black 7 256GB for $150 (well, they didn't give it to me yet...) when I noticed the big Samsung sign behind the desk.
    I told my wife in French about the fires/explosions with those phones. The T-Mobil guy heard Samsung and explosion and said he knew exactly what I was saying to her.
    5 minutes later there was a guy turning in his Note 7 for an iPhone 7+. Just after him, another couple came in to do the same with their Notes...
    This is bad for Samsung. No matter how the press will spin it.