Customer rampages through French Apple Store, smashes iPhones, iMacs, MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    jmc54 said:
    roake said:
    I wouldn't have the balls to do that.
    Maybe you simply have the brains not to!
    it was a pun.....
    sphericcalipscooter63xixo
  • Reply 22 of 78
    What's so amazing is the way he was treated by employees, security and customers. The security guard appears to be conversing with him about his actions, the store employees don't appear disgruntled or scared and other customers aren't reacting to his actions. In America his antics would not have been so politely received. My guess is a bystander would have intervened and a tussle would have ensued. Everything just comes off very passive.
    anantksundaramcali
  • Reply 23 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    NY1822 said:
    You mean to tell me the sunglasses didn't hide his identity to make a getaway?
    Not to mention the fake mustache and beard ... oh wait he forgot the trench coat and hat!
  • Reply 24 of 78
    What do you expect from the French - they are totally dominated by the throwbacks, from the 16th century, that reside amongst them.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Is this the offspring of Steve Ballmer?
    suddenly newtonchiacalipscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 78
    What's so amazing is the way he was treated by employees, security and customers. The security guard appears to be conversing with him about his actions, the store employees don't appear disgruntled or scared and other customers aren't reacting to his actions. In America his antics would not have been so politely received. My guess is a bystander would have intervened and a tussle would have ensued. Everything just comes off very passive.

Apparently, French law permits mall guards (maybe store employees) from touching him. This is why if you look around you'll see other videos and they're not touching him, but rather just blocking him from running away. Only when they are attacked are they physically touching him.

In the US I think he'd at least be hand-cuffed by mall security and detained somewhere until police arrived so he couldn't hurt anyone. Usually at most malls that I've been to in different places, some sort of police was already there for the sake of being there. Not sure about store employees. I'm sure many would want to do something, but I'm not sure if they legally can even though they're destroying tens of thousands of dollars worth of property. The only caveat maybe if someone is hurting someone else or is a threat to someone else. 

Different countries have different laws for this type of activity. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 27 of 78
    macxpress said:

Apparently, French law permits mall guards (maybe store employees) from touching him. This is why if you look around you'll see other videos and they're not touching him, but rather just blocking him from running away. Only when they are attacked are they physically touching him.

In the US I think he'd at least be hand-cuffed by mall security and detained somewhere until police arrived so he couldn't hurt anyone. Usually at most malls that I've been to in different places, some sort of police was already there for the sake of being there. 

In the UK, the Apple staff would have all been arrested and charged with violating his Human Rights and fined for not providing him with googles, hard hat, steel toecap boots, Hi-Viz vest to carry out his vandalism.
    sflageldasanman69watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 78
    sflagel said:
    Sometimes, you just have to let go. No one was harmed. I have felt like doing the same every time I make an appointment at the Genie Bar a week in advance only to be told to wait for 2 hours once I get there. Or when I show them pictures of my 2-year old phone battery being at 11% after 3 hours and they telling me the battery diagnostics test shows it is fine.... It'll cost him but hopefully he can afford it. 

Its absolutely no excuse to let go on someone else's property just because you didn't get your way. How immature do you have to be to sit there and throw a fit and damage other people's property just because you didn't get your way with something? It fixes nothing and only digs you a hole. Sure, its frustrating but that doesn't mean you start destroying things. If you don't like a product and the company isn't doing what you feel is appropriate then go buy another product. That in the end will hurt them more than any destruction of property, especially if many others follow suit. 
    edited September 2016 dysamoriaronnai46
  • Reply 29 of 78
    Perhaps the French Ministry of making up French words that are English is really behind this!  The words Apple Computer are everywhere!  This is France after all, it should be Pomme Ordinateur.    ;)
    The name was officially changed to just 'Pomme' a while ago? :-)
    ai46thepixeldoc
  • Reply 30 of 78
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    "The specifics of his case are not clear at this time."

The specifics of his case are completely irrelevant.
    edited September 2016 dasanman69ronnai46roakejony0
  • Reply 31 of 78
    That's because he wasn't doing anything dangerous, just smashing up some used phones. No need to escalate it.
    dysamoriaxixo
  • Reply 32 of 78
    JMW Media said:
    macxpress said:

In the US I think he'd at least be hand-cuffed by mall security and detained somewhere until police arrived so he couldn't hurt anyone. Usually at most malls that I've been to in different places, some sort of police was already there for the sake of being there. 

In the UK, the Apple staff would have all been arrested and charged with violating his Human Rights and fined for not providing him with googles, hard hat, steel toecap boots, Hi-Viz vest to carry out his vandalism.

In the UK, they would have offered him a cup of tea while he waits for the police to turn himself in.
    In Germany, the staff would have joined in the civil disobedience.
    In Denmark, arrested and sentenced to three weeks in a youth camp by the Baltic Sea.
    In Italy, the mother would offer to be arrested on his behalf.
    In Spain, nothing would have happened. He would just walk out when he is done.
    in the US, they would have shot him.

All but one seem appropriate responses for the smashing of a few tech gadgets.
    edited September 2016 JMW Mediachiacaliscartarthammerd2singularitydysamoriamrboba1ai46kiltedgreen
  • Reply 33 of 78
    macxpress said:
    sflagel said:
    Sometimes, you just have to let go. No one was harmed. I have felt like doing the same every time I make an appointment at the Genie Bar a week in advance only to be told to wait for 2 hours once I get there. Or when I show them pictures of my 2-year old phone battery being at 11% after 3 hours and they telling me the battery diagnostics test shows it is fine.... It'll cost him but hopefully he can afford it. 

Its absolutely no excuse to let go on someone else's property just because you didn't get your way. How immature do you have to be to sit there and throw a fit and damage other people's property just because you didn't get your way with something? It fixes nothing and only digs you a hole. Sure, its frustrating but that doesn't mean you start destroying things. If you don't like a product and the company isn't doing what you feel is appropriate then go buy another product. That in the end will hurt them more than any destruction of property, especially if many others follow suit. 
    I think you are taking this event too seriously.....
    xixo
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Disgruntled Apple Store customer: "Pardon my French while I smash your display items with my balls of steel"   :p
    caliSpamSandwichmrboba1coolfactorxixo
  • Reply 35 of 78
    boredumb said:
    I wonder if Apple will repair the items he broke?
    Does he has Apple Care+?
    caliboredumb
  • Reply 36 of 78

paxman said:
    Never mind the lack of rationale at least he was cool, eloquent, and well dressed. The French do vandalism with style!
    You should see Rififi.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    This is clearly staged. Whoever shooting the video was a friend of his.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    If some idiot chooses to destroy "things" and isn't attacking people, bystanders should do nothing as long as that person isn't hiding an explosive or the like. You'd be charged with assault, in addition to their being charged with vandalism and property damages.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 39 of 78
    john12345 said:
    This is clearly staged. Whoever shooting the video was a friend of his.
    In the age of YouTube and viral media, and the evidence that it was a premeditated action planned in advance, that interpretation has some credibility. It's why some YouTube channels buy new iPhones on Day One and smash them in the name of view counts and link bait.
    dysamoriacornchip
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Perhaps the French Ministry of making up French words that are English is really behind this!  The words Apple Computer are everywhere!  This is France after all, it should be Pomme Ordinateur.   
    La Pomme Ordinateurs, really. Besides, the world uses the russian word for "work" for robots, so why not use the much better French word? (Much better, not because it's French, but because it reflects the intent of the machine better than "computer". An Ordinateur helps order your life. A computer... computes. I guess Macs really are Ordinateurs, while other machines are Computers, with spec sheets and analyst happiness?OK, enough along this line of thought.)

Also, what a weird reaction. He could have sued. Of course, then AppleInsider commenters would likely have blamed him for suing, but there are worse things in life

Well I live and learn, I always thought 'robot'  was the invention of the Czech novelist Karel Čapek. 
    And you were perfectly correct: It's the same word/origin. работа (work) can be used to mean "slave". 

From Wikipedia:

Czech

Pronunciation

Etymology

From Proto-Slavic *orbota ‎(“hard work, slavery”) derived from *orbъ ‎(“slave”), ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *h₃erbʰ ‎(“to change or evolve status”), the predecessor to *h₃órbʰos ‎(“orphan”).[1] Cognate with German Arbeit and Dutch arbeid.

edited September 2016 dysamoriaunbeliever2