Google's Pixel XL priced like Apple's iPhone 7 Plus, but it lacks numerous key features

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 190
    matrix077 said:
    john.b said:
    2016 price with 2015 specs...
    Snapdragon 821 is not 2015 specs
    The benchmark shows it is. 
    When do we decide benchmarks matter? There was a time when Google fans lived by them and Apple fans said they don't matter. Now that has flipped. So do they only matter now? 
  • Reply 181 of 190
    john.b said:
    Snapdragon 821 is not 2015 specs
    It is no A10 Fusion either.
    Note that the benchmark Dilger talks about is just the single core benchmark. On multicore applications, the Pixel is only about 10% slower than the iPhone 7. High single core performance is not necessarily a good thing on mobile devices, since it may translate into less battery life.
  • Reply 183 of 190
    HaibaneHaibane Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    sog35 said:
    Haibane said:
    Haibane said:
    koop said:
    I think people here aren't going to like this, but iOS/Siri is more of a liability for Apple than it's ever been since the first iPhone. Pixel is basically trying to sell itself on software and artificial intelligence. They are selling this as their A.I. phone. You can giggle about the spec wars, but you're missing the big picture that Google has surpassed Apple in software years ago, and Google is going to drive their "information" advantage into a hardware war that wont be about who has the faster CPU or most RAM. 

I can only imagine in 2030 it's really about what company has the bigger server farms, artificial neural networking and machine learning algorithms that determines which product makes consumers lives the easiest. Not some display resolution or wide color gamut. 

Google has the long game here. We're still figuring out what Apple has besides their phone at this point.
    uhh what does google have besides ads? apple's non-iphone revenue is larger than many industry players. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Alphabet this for starters... Nest, Waze, Youtube, Boston Dynamics... or to break it down...

Google home
    Google cast
    Pixel
    Nest Thermostat
    Nest Smoke detector
    Nest Cameras
    Waze- Arguably the best mapping service for traffic
    Youtube- Arguably the most watched streaming platform
    Boston Dynamics- Robotics

Basically hitting some highlights here. Tons of other products though.
    apple's non-iphone revenue is much greater than all of those*. that was my point -- the bogus troll meme that apple is a one-trick pony isn't served by the reality of their product lines revenue. 

* but how how does Google Home or Waze or robotics bring in revenue? and isn't Youtube paid for by ads?
    Youtube has a paid service as well as an ad based. Similar to Spotify, but with videos too. Boston Dynamics is known as the leaders in their robotics division based in (duh) Boston. The internet mostly knows them for a reindeer they made that got hit. Obviously, Apple isn't a one trick pony. The Macbook is still arguably the best computer on the market, and people still buy ipod touches over other devices. Plenty of other good products by Apple are out there. I am not sure about Apple's non-iphone revenue being greater than Google's non-ad revenue, but I also don't have those stats.
    2015 Google total revenue = $75 billion

2015 Apple non-iPhone revenue = $79 billion
    Read Context... I have in no way made the point that Apple is being out earned by Google.
  • Reply 184 of 190
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 185 of 190
    Disclaimer: I'm platform agnostic and mostly unbiased.

Originally I was only here because of the humorous fanboy banter "from both sides". The comments were getting pretty salty around page 6 and I decided I'd come in for a few. Let me start by saying, the Pixel isn't even out yet. So benchmarks from devices that aren't the actual device cannot be used against it. But since we are on that topic, know that even if Apple wins the benchmark battle, one device still isn't BETTER than the other. Let's talk about this for a moment..

Apple users will defend their grounds until the earth comes to an end. Especially the fanboys that are so easily convinced by a biased article. Some of the information above is accurate, and some is blatantly incorrect. I'm not going to pick through the article and identify everything that is wrong or taken out of context because it doesn't matter that much to me. If it matters to the ones that are curious, do your research. But know that the actual truth is out there.

To the ones saying the Pixel's technology is old? Seriously? I won't even humor these remarks.

To the ones commenting about the lack of OIS. You're right. Pixel has EIS. OIS is better for low-light technology where EIS is better for 4k video. Pixel's camera already has great low-light performance, so their focus was better video stabilization. 

Since I run iOS and Android, I can say that it is more of a personal preference overall.

Apple fanboys validate their expensive purchases with a gorgeous piece of hardware with a snappy UI. Applications run great and hardly ever hiccup. 
    Android fanboys are more in it for the experience. Having a device that is customizable and a truly groundbreaking platform that is still not in it's adulthood is exciting.

Apple's systems are pretty closed "for the most part". Leaving little to customize and fiddle with. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just doesn't appeal to all people. I was one to tear everything apart to learn how it works. I do that all the time with a multitude of android devices. The platform and "most" hardware is so open, they promote the idea. On the other hand, Apple users are content with what they have. Neither one of us are wrong by any means. 

EDIT: Here's a bit of information regarding benchmarking "particularly mobile". Aside from being a little dated, the technology for benchmarking hasn't changed a bit.

• Some benchmarks penalize devices with more pixels — Most graphic benchmarks measure performance in terms of frames per second. GFXBench (formerly GLBenchmark) is the most popular graphics benchmark. Apple has dominated in the scores of this benchmark for one simple reason. Apple’s iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and 5s displays all have a fraction of the pixels flagship Android devices have. For example, in the chart above, the iPhone 5s gets a score of 53 fps, while the LG G2 gets a score of 47 fps. Most people would be impressed by the fact that the iPhone 5s got a score that was 12.7% higher than the LG G2, but when you consider the fact the LG G2 is pushing almost 3x the pixels (2073600 pixels vs. 727040 pixels), it’s clear the Adreno 330 GPU in the LG G2 is actually killing the GPU in the iPhone 5s. The GFXBench scores on the 720p Moto X (shown above) are further proof that what I am saying is true. This bias against devices with more pixels isn’t just true with GFXBench, you can see the same behavior with graphics benchmarks like Basemark X shown below (where the Moto X beats the Nexus 4).
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 186 of 190
    This forum really has some of the most reliable sources.

The Pixel does not have OIS, it has EIS only, which is a bummer for some people. It has 4 GB of RAM for heaven's sake. Google has provided a Apple Care system since last year with Nexus Protect. I wouldn't even consider 821 a 2016 spec, it is more of 2017 spec.

Now this thread is just full of comparison between Apple, Google and Samsung. Now seriously people, this is like Google Pixel XL vs iPhone 7 Plus, not Google vs Apple. Not sure where Samsung came in. Now the battery problem is a mostly a Samsung Note7 exclusive and there are way more phones out there than exploding ones, so please stop talking about a phone exploding in your face while using a Pixel for VR. For all I know, electronics always have a chance of exploding, no matter what it is, if it has electricity running through it, you are not safe, not even if you are using an iPhone.

iPhone has its own advantages, the phones themselves are beautiful and fast. Sure it does receives very long term updates, but iOS 9 on my 4S  is like a turtle. I think we can agree that long term updates are awesome but they would die out soon out or later. Anyway, Nexii (and presumably Pixels) do receive long term security updates. It is the OEMs and carriers that are creating the fragmentation BS. Android itself as a platform has grown a lot, and so does iOS, and they both owe each other to their individuals' success. Android really doesn't crash at all anymore, even if my 6 years old OG Galaxy S running Marshmallow. iPhones do crash too, even more rarely, but on the scale of the entire system rather than just the OS, but both of them are becoming really stable and reliable. VR is a kind of a new foray, but I do use them, playing games and watching videos on them at home are very immersive. No one wears that outdoor, so of course you wouldn't know if someone does use VR. For Google Assistant, that's what I'm kinda hyped up about, but Siri will catch up. I think we could all agree that Siri did start the ball rolling, or the Google Assistant wouldn't be created in the first place.

For me, Android is better since developing apps for iPhone is like hell. Plus, you can use a Mac or Windows to build the apps. But that's just from a dev's viewpoint.

Anyway, the iPhone is mostly likely still going to beat Pixel in benchmark once the device is actually released, but for now, we shouldn't be using the unreliable sources. Benchmarks might not be fully accurate, but they do not lie. iPhones are some of the fastest phones on the planet, but so are Nexii, we'll wait and see on the Pixel. The A10 Fusion chips rival that of Desktop-class processors and the 821 is also just as great, both are 2017 standards, no questions asked. For the camera, DxOMark may have gotten a bag of gold for the review, or maybe the Pixel camera is just really good, we don't know. But the scores prove that both are very good. If you get a picture from both phones and ask 100 people to rate them without letting them know which one took the picture, 50 would say the iPhone is better, 50 would say the Pixel one is better, it's just personal preferences. You probably can't tell the difference between them too, and if I took a picture on the Pixel and told you it was on the iPhone, you would agree, the same goes the other way round. I don't take pictures very often, so I don't care too much about them. Crisp, clear and overall accurate, that's all I need.

To round up, both phones are awesome. If I had $1538, I would buy both. Cheers.

Oh, and I don't swim with my phone.
  • Reply 187 of 190
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 188 of 190
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    sockrolid said:
    john.b said:

Where do you see 2015 Specs?
    More like 2013 specs really.

Fandroid trolls used to mindlessly copy/paste specs and benchmark results.
    (Remember the good old "Your wife will love the dual-core Tegra 2 chipset" days?)
    For a while this gave them an air of objectivity.

Now fandroid trolls can only lash out in irrational denial.  
    iPhone crushes all Android phones in specs / benchmarks / experience / design / camera / quality.
    Not to mention battery flammability.

Oh, and yes, the occasional fandroid troll squeals about iPhone colors and design nitpicks.
    S/he fixates on one little thing (e.g. no more audio jack) and tries to turn it into a "-gate."
    Pitiful really.  I would feel sorry for her/him, but no.  S/he is doing it to herself/himself.
    No it's because iSheep like you will eat every statement and product that Apple pulls out of their asses and act like that they're products are the best overall.
    Why would you even bother coming here to post troll-trope like that?  It serves zero purpose to toss around insults and certainly doesn't make you look any more grown up than the poster you replied to. Didn't your mom have some chores for you? 
  • Reply 189 of 190
    sockrolid said:
    john.b said:

Where do you see 2015 Specs?
    More like 2013 specs really.

Fandroid trolls used to mindlessly copy/paste specs and benchmark results.
    (Remember the good old "Your wife will love the dual-core Tegra 2 chipset" days?)
    For a while this gave them an air of objectivity.

Now fandroid trolls can only lash out in irrational denial.  
    iPhone crushes all Android phones in specs / benchmarks / experience / design / camera / quality.
    Not to mention battery flammability.

Oh, and yes, the occasional fandroid troll squeals about iPhone colors and design nitpicks.
    S/he fixates on one little thing (e.g. no more audio jack) and tries to turn it into a "-gate."
    Pitiful really.  I would feel sorry for her/him, but no.  S/he is doing it to herself/himself.
    No it's because iSheep like you will eat every statement and product that Apple pulls out of their asses and act like that they're products are the best overall.
    Blunt said:
    Gatorguy please don't stop posting! That's all i ask from you. Is that an insult? We need Google defenders. The world needs them!
    I wouldn't say that. Every Google defender and customer is a validation of what I consider an abominable business model.
    Love how you just basically called every single Android an asshole for no fucking reason at all as just show how fucking ignorant you really fucking are! 
    Given the immense amount of joy you seem to have derived from these two posts, please allow me to suggest the following thread to escalate your elation: Google pledges to stop scanning emails in Gmail for personalized ads. If nothing, the discussion is at least current. ;-)