Hammer finally falls as Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is officially, permanently discontinued

Comments

• Reply 61 of 116
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,327member
    I think Samsung is very very lucky a family did not die from a middle of the night house fire from an oxycontin addled GN7 owner.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 116
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,327member
    i also think they saw the writing on the wall and knew it was a matter of time that GN7s were banned altogether from airplanes.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 63 of 116
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,100member
    jcdinkins said:
    Samsung forever has Apple in their commercials.  Always comparing themselves to Apple.  This was inevitable.  They don't focus on themselves, they focus on the competition.  The commercial where everyone is gathered around a charging station at the airport with their iPhones immediately comes to mind.  There are countless others.  Lets see this flipped with everyone holding Notes around an airport power station.  Wouldn't end well for them.  Apple strictly focuses on Apple, making themselves better, so that commercial would never happen anyway.
    What i want to see is a spoof of the commercial where lil'Wayne (and some friends) are sitting around a coffee table with lil' Wayne  yelling "Whaaaat the hell" while pouring champagne on a phone that is on the table. And when they zoom in on the phone, it's a Samsung Galaxy 7 on fire. And when that don't put out the fire, he say "whaaaaat" and then he picks up the still smothering Galaxy 7 and drops it into the fish tank. And when he returns to his friends, one of them tosses him an iPhone 7 and say,  "Here, try this. It just works". 

Or one where he walks into store pouring champagne on his smoking Samsung Galaxy 7 phone and ask the clerk where he keeps the champagne so he can continue pouring champagne over it to keep it from exploding.  While paying for the bottle of champagne with an iPhone7 and Apple pay. 

polymniaperkedelwatto_cobraericlmercer
  • Reply 64 of 116
    I just saw a new nickname for the Samsung phone on a tech website:

Death Note 7

pscooter63SpamSandwichanomewatto_cobracali
  • Reply 65 of 116
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    jcdinkins said:
    Samsung forever has Apple in their commercials.  Always comparing themselves to Apple.  This was inevitable.  They don't focus on themselves, they focus on the competition.  The commercial where everyone is gathered around a charging station at the airport with their iPhones immediately comes to mind.  There are countless others.  Lets see this flipped with everyone holding Notes around an airport power station.  Wouldn't end well for them.  Apple strictly focuses on Apple, making themselves better, so that commercial would never happen anyway.
    What you're saying isn't true. Apple had a long-running campaign called 'Get a Mac'.

The whole point was comparing Macs to the PC competition. The most memorable lines were delivered by John Hodgman as 'PC'. Poking fun at the competition was the name of the game.

Apple has avoided this in marketing of the iPhone, and lately the Mac as well, but I wouldn't say Apple would NEVER pursue this type of ad again.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 116
    From the article:

"While media coverage of the issue doesn't seem as prevalent as negative press reports surrounding the lack of a headphone jack on the iPhone 7 family ..."

Love it. :D
    jony0cali
  • Reply 67 of 116
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    "Credit Suisse, the original author of the $5 billion figure, now claims that the complete loss will be $19 billion including recall expenses, assuming lost sales of up to 22 million phones."

"Hello, Legal Department? Can you please pillage our patent portfolio, see if there's any lawsuits we can file against Apple. Anything! If we have a patent on the alphabet, sue them for using A, P, L and E"
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 68 of 116
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member

Going by the numbers in this article at 40 to 65% seem to have jumped to iOS 
    #AboutTime 
    Let's wait for some real numbers from the carriers.  I doubt it's that high - there are plenty of other Android phones out there and the Google phone is imminent.   I think most Android phone users weren't using an iPhone because they had a preconceived bias against Apple (for either valid or invalid reasons) and that's not likely to change radically in spite of this Samsung phone fiasco.  
    jony0
  • Reply 69 of 116
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    People have short attention spans. Next year, the Note 8 will come out and everyone will say it's the best phone ever!!! People will be buying them. I'm sure it's getting Apple quite a few sales. fandroids hanging around blogs aren't going to switch to iOS, but normal people going into a store to get a phone, they aren't so locked into Android. Google has a lot to gain by this, but they've screwed up are are locked into Verizon of all company's. The only other option is Online, and like the Nexus phones, they just don't sell in great numbers online. You need to be in all the cell phone stores all over. Locked to Verizon is really just a dumb move these days. This opportunity is going to be mostly blown by Google.
    lkruppwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 70 of 116
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,130member
    I hope people won't take this as an invitation to get into some completely OT war, but I think Samsung has been very lucky that this happened when there was so much other crazy news to draw away media focus, at least in the U.S. If this had happened at a different time, there would have been a constant barrage of jokes on late-night TV, etc. Remember "bendgate?" That was nothing compared to an issue of phones spontaneously combusting on commercial flights, especially after they had been already been replaced once in a recall, and Samsung's poor response overall. 
    nolamacguypalominejony0cali
  • Reply 71 of 116
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Financial pundits on CNBC already predicting Samsung will recover quickly. They say consumers, especially Americans, have short memories and Samsung has a powerful brand. All Samsung has to do is come out with a new product and give it a new name and people will buy it. Sad but true I’m afraid.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 116
    R&D sucks, design sucks, quality control sucks HA !! HA !!!
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 73 of 116
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Rayz2016 said:
    It's going to be quite interesting to see how they go about launching the next phone. 
    Introducing the Galaxy Note Fireworks...
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 74 of 116
    Rayz2016 said:
    It's going to be quite interesting to see how they go about launching the next phone. 
    in a blaze of publicity  :D
    chiaSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 116
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    wood1208 said:
    Samsung might worried more about if Note 7 catches fire in mid-air plane and brings down plane killing passengers. That would be THE END to Samsung phones.
    Let's hope that doesn't happen but what percentage of Note 7 users are willing to take that chance is what worries me.
    macxpresschiawatto_cobracali
  • Reply 76 of 116
    sog35 said:
    Just waiting for the loser trolls to show up and say:

1. Don't celebrate. Failure of Samsung is bad for Apple, cause competition is good
    2. Don't celebrate. Since this could have easily happened to Apple
    3. Don't celebrate. Because some iPhones also exploded (ignoring that those phones were damaged and smashed)
    4. Don't celebrate. Samsung had courage to do the 'right thing'

Ok trolls. Now don't waste your time responding. Since I already brought up all your talking points.

Look, Sog35: The iPhone is, by far, the best smartphone on the Market, as a standalone device. Once you are into the Apple ecosystem, it becomes eons ahead as a product.

Can we agree on that?

However, despite all of that, Apple is really one greedy company that will try to do everything they can to improve immediate profit, at the cost of user experience and at the cost of future profit. Do you want examples?

• TN panels on MBAirs.
    • 16 GB of base memory on iOS devices, until the 7.
    • 1 GB of RAM on iOS devices, until the 6.
    • Non-SSDs on Macs, even ones costing thousands of dollars;
    • 128 GB base SSD storage on rMBPs.
    • Selling the MBP.
    • Non-stereo audio when filming videos with an iPhone.
    • a8 chip on Apple TV4.
    • Worse camera hardware than pretty much all competition, and worse than the s7 after the iPhone 7.
    All of those decisions, if made from other OEMs, would quickly burn down the company and their products even faster than this Note7 fiasco. Those decisions impact greatly the experience, and made all of those products pieces of garbage. It's disgusting. It's also not up for discussion that those things are actually true. They are. Imagine if Microsoft made a computer with a TN panel. Or without an SSD. Or if Samsung made a flagship with camera hardware as pathetic as the 6 series (6s included), or 1GB of RAM until 2014.

Yes, a 1GB iPhone would always be much better than an Android device with 1GB, as far as memory management goes. However, Apple could do even better if they actually offered users what they could offer. As such, regardless of your position and opinion, everybody know that we all have the thank Samsung, and Samsung only, for actually having devices with proper base storage, proper memory management, an awesome SoC, and good battery life.

What pisses me off even more is that Apple could easily have the best mobile camera (they have the best software and best SoC, after all), but they don't, because they wanted to count some beans instead of putting a sensor at least, as big as Samsung was able to do 1 year ago. But no, gotta cheap out and go the gimmicky way.

Just like without Apple we would all be using Nokias 3310 and Blackberries, without Samsung your iPhone would still have 8GB of storage and 256MB of ram.

If you are reasonable, if anyone here is, then we can all agree on that.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 77 of 116
    I read a report that Samsung will recall a total of less than 200,000 units of Note 7 from China. It's a measly number. 
    cali
  • Reply 78 of 116
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    And yet, Samsung lickspittle journalists insist Apple will not profit from their disaster. 

Despite exploding smartphones, customers are likely to stick with Samsung
    http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-samsung-competitors-20161010-snap-story.html
    Interesting.  In that article you provided a link for, we have quotes from "analysts" or "industry experts" who give their opinions.  Yet in the very article we are replying to, we have some quantitative results on how many people returned their Note 7's to some AT&T stores after the time at which AT&T started allowing other phones to be switched to (82) and what number of those switched to iPhone (72).  That's 72 out of 82 phones that were eligible for switching.

Anecdotal, yes, but this evidence sure beats the heck out of unnamed experts trotting out their opinions.
    watto_cobraericlmercercali
  • Reply 79 of 116
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    If l have understood correctly it would appear from this BBC report someone has suffered a fire from both his original and replacement Note 7
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-37624730

watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 116
    mr4jsmr4js Posts: 55member
    Samsung got what they deserved. Haste makes waste. The next version will have a fatal flaw as well. 

brucemcwatto_cobracali