'Hello again:' Apple sends invitations for event on Oct. 27, new MacBook Pros expected

Comments

• Reply 101 of 142
    The more important question: what's up with that smoky, deep pink, partially obscured Apple?
    With the black background and the organic-looking swirls of color, it's likely a reference to the OLED touch bar. Or Apple is going to perform some type of seance at the event and have Steve Jobs make the presentation from "the other side".
    I see what you did there.
  • Reply 102 of 142
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    The more important question: what's up with that smoky, deep pink, partially obscured Apple?
    The Apple isn't deep pink or smoky. The pink (and orange and yellow), look more like powder (as others have mentioned). Actually, the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was the Mythbusters' "Painting with Explosives" episode. 

patchythepirate
  • Reply 103 of 142
    The image in the Apple logo is a nebula.
  • Reply 104 of 142
    Hagen said:
    Um, you can actually see the powder. Doesn't look like any nebula I've ever seen. Looks totally like exploding colorful powder.

tallest skildocno42
  • Reply 105 of 142
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    wiggin said:
    wigby said:
    It's Halloween! Fog and smoke! And Pink because October is month of Breast Cancer awareness. Just my thoughts.
    The accompanying images are always directly or indirectly related to announcements. This one's tricky because of smoke but I'm guessing iCloud related product. And by "hello again", it says to me that it's a new hardware product, not just another new laptop or desktop. The only thing that comes to mind is Apple's Echo/Siri/Home device because it relies on the cloud and is a new category of product for Apple.
    This makes a lot of sense. The primary product featured will be a Siri based-device along the lines of Amazon's Echo. MBP updates will be a secondary announcement. If the rumors hold true for the MBP updates, I never really thought there was enough there for justify a media event. A new product category would be that justification.

The show will open with the Siri device introducing itself, just like the original Mac did.
    Hate to admit it but if I hear Siri open the event with a "Hello again" I might just get douche chills.
  • Reply 106 of 142
    Like this (sorry for the crudeness of my example). Not that any of this really matters. ;)

edited October 2016
  • Reply 107 of 142
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

volcan said:
    Finally, the MacBook Pro is also believed to sport reversible USB-C ports, ditching legacy input methods like USB-A, HDMI, and the SD Card reader ...
    I hope they keep the SD card reader. I find it very handy while on a photoshoot. I really don't like dongles very much, especially on a portable device.
    I think that would be a stupid decision to ditch the SD card reader. 
    Do you have a feasible way to wirelessly move that data over? If you do, they will probably ditch the SD slot. Apple is all about wireless.
  • Reply 108 of 142
    wigby said:

volcan said:
    Finally, the MacBook Pro is also believed to sport reversible USB-C ports, ditching legacy input methods like USB-A, HDMI, and the SD Card reader ...
    I hope they keep the SD card reader. I find it very handy while on a photoshoot. I really don't like dongles very much, especially on a portable device.
    I think that would be a stupid decision to ditch the SD card reader. 
    Do you have a feasible way to wirelessly move that data over? If you do, they will probably ditch the SD slot. Apple is all about wireless.
    Yay, more wireless peripherals to charge. /s
  • Reply 109 of 142
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    "hello again" is Apple signaling this is a Mac event. Nothing more.
    Then they're idiots, as that's as iconic a phrase as the Macs to which it debuted. 
    Maybe Lionel Ritchie will be onstage.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 110 of 142
    Steve Jobs never died, he's just been secretly working on the next big thing...queue apple logo, fog machine, out walks SJ, "Hello Again.."
    nolamacguyh2p
  • Reply 111 of 142
    ajbecker8 said:
    Steve Jobs never died, he's just been secretly working on the next big thing...queue apple logo, fog machine, out walks SJ, "Hello Again.."
    I think the audience would collectively shit themselves. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 112 of 142
    I think the color looks like it's exploded and is coming down to cover the Apple logo. It could mean a return to colors for all the machines. We already have silver, gold, space gray, and rose gold on the MacBook so maybe they are going to expand the colors across the entire line; Air, Pro and iMac all get colors...

You get a color! And
    You get a color! And You get a color!

Can anybody comment on how easily the MacBooks get scuffed or if at all?
  • Reply 113 of 142
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ppietra said:
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    "hello again" is Apple signaling this is a Mac event. Nothing more.
    Then they're idiots, as that's as iconic a phrase as the Macs to which it debuted. 
    That is a normal greeting and one that Apple used in a very recent invitation for WWDC 2016.
    That wasn't a Mac event.
  • Reply 114 of 142
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rob55 said:
    The Apple isn't deep pink or smoky. The pink (and orange and yellow), look more like powder (as others have mentioned). Actually, the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was the Mythbusters' "Painting with Explosives" episode. 

So Apple isn't going up in smoke ... It's just exploding into powder?
  • Reply 115 of 142
    rob55 said:
    Hagen said:
    Um, you can actually see the powder. Doesn't look like any nebula I've ever seen. Looks totally like exploding colorful powder.

Yeah, that looks like stars seen through the cloud of a nebula to me.

*shrug*
  • Reply 116 of 142
    Hagen said:

*shrug*
    You mean likes this? Yeah, the totally looks like the Apple event image. /s

edited October 2016
  • Reply 117 of 142
    rob55 said:
    Hagen said:

*shrug*
    You mean likes this? Yeah, the totally looks like the Apple event image. /s

Yeah, yeah, we get your image chops and your sarcasm.

The question was, do you have a take on what it means (if anything)?
  • Reply 118 of 142
    Yeah, yeah, we get your image chops and your sarcasm.

Yes. In my opinion, it refers to the new Retina Mac Book Pros (and other refreshed Macs) getting wide color gamut support to be in line with the iPhone 7/7 Plus' display capabilities. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us. 
    edited October 2016 h2p
  • Reply 119 of 142

Emphasis on true tone displays for Macs?
  • Reply 120 of 142
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    dysamoria said:
    (self-destructing laptop component-using machines and 15" or smaller displays are not acceptable, nor are 3rd-party barely-compatible displays).
    Here here!