New Apple event invite recalls original Macintosh, iMac introductions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    lkrupp said:
     Macs will eventually run on A chips and become more like the Surface or Chromebook, running a unified or maybe even no OS. 
    I've been telling my colleagues that Apple could move to a massively scaled up A-series processor (with possibly an AMD x86 translator to provide a "Classic" environment for legacy x86 code) that will allow Macs to have multi-day battery ratings on a system that's quicker than an i-series Intel chip.

Apple's engineering team have worked miracles with their chip design making Intel's i-series development appear comatose in comparison. Let's see if Apple is ready to shake things up in the CPU space.
    edited October 2016 palominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 70
    sennen said:
    The splash of colour, to me, signals wide color gamut displays on the new MacBooks Pro.
    I agree. The "colors" in the Apple logo shape is actually a photo. You can see the trees, the sun, and smoke or fog. It does seem to point to a better display technology for photo/video editing.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    How about an ARM-based Mac with a slightly lighter or maybe a tidied-up version of macOS? It might be the right time to drop some outdated or little-used frameworks. Apple already has a pretty decent set of apps that are cross platform across macOS and iOS, so it's not a stretch to imagine that they might be able to put them on a newish platform.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Because of the significance of the use of the word "Hello" (used only twice before in 1984 and 1998), we should expect a major shift in Apple's new Macs. It is NOT going to be minor updates. One off-the-wall possibility is that Apple will be moving to ARM processors in the new Macs... Before anyone comments how "crazy" that sounds, here are a few facts to remember: - The A10 in the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus have been benchmarked as faster than the Intel CPUs in the MacBook Air models! - The A10X processor has had benchmarks leaked that are about 20% faster than the A10, and Apple could very easily have much more powerful A-Series processors in the works. - Apple has switched the Mac's processor architecture multiple times in the past, going from Motorola CPUs to PowerPC CPUs to Intel CPUs, each time the transition was made by running previous apps in emulation until they were recoded for the newer processors. - Apple has had difficulty relying on Intel to produce new CPUs on time to meet their production schedule, and Intel has not been advancing their CPUs as quickly as Apple has been advancing their own A-series processors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 70
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    jurassic said:
    One off-the-wall possibility is that Apple will be moving to ARM processors in the new Macs... 
    All well and good, however if it doesn't run Adobe CC it is useless to me.

BTW: I'm not sure what time zone this server is running in but it doesn't match my computer. It is about 6 minutes fast. I can't imagine a computer these days  that doesn't use an internet time server.
    edited October 2016 dysamoria
  • Reply 26 of 70
    I also think that the Mac Pro (black canister), Mac mini, and MacBook Air (which is thicker and heavier than the “MacBook”, and uses much older technologies) will be EOL’d (End of Life). To replace the MacBook Air, Apple will likely introduce a MacBook with a larger display, probably about 14” to go along with the 12” model.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 27 of 70
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,298member
    ppietra said:
    Why are people still ignoring that Apple used Hello for WWDC 2016 invitation? Not so long ago! Hence "again"!
    That's possible, but if that's what they are thinking then it's a big miscalculation on their part. 

The most devoted Apple users are Mac users, and the most devoted Mac users are obviously going to attach special significance to those words. Using these words raises expectations among a group of people who are generally not very happy right now. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that Apple used the words intentionally and that they are going to deliver something that is a lot more than the usual incremental upgrade. Not that there's anything wrong with incremental upgrades. But these words imply a change in direction in some significant way. 

pscooter63randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 70
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    I'm not so sure this event is going to introduce anything groundbreaking. An OLED keystrip is a nice advance, but groundbreaking? Not really. What else? This isn't going to be like the Mac introduction, or the iPhone, or iPad. It's will be several, I hope, upgraded machines, and maybe the discontinuation of another.

nice, but not groundbreaking. Groundbreaking would be an ARM MacBook. I don't see that happening this year.

what else ground breaking could they REALISTICALLY introduce now?
    iOS desktop with Touch Pad + keyboard input
    A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

A competent Apple desktop computer for that price would be REVOLUTIONARY
    Why iOS? They could stick macOS on there and not cripple the device as much.
    Cause intel chips and other components to make it macOS is very expensive.

The whole point is to have a $299 desktop that gives Apple a decent profit margin. This is only possible using A-series chips running iOS

A-series chips are perfectly capable of running macOS.

And exactly how is the A-series supposed to let Apple have a $299 desktop when the A-series based iPad Pro with a 9.7 inch screen is $599 with 32 GB flash?  Any desktop or laptop from Apple has to be more powerful than the smaller iPad Pro.  I won't be at all surprised to someday see an A-series based desktop or laptop from Apple.  It's not going to be a $299 iOS device, though, 
    edited October 2016 king editor the gratedysamoriaronn
  • Reply 29 of 70
    I don't think Apple's focus has changed so that the focus is on iOS now. macOS is and will always be the driving engine behind both platforms. An iOS desktop doesn't make sense. Instead a "tablet Mac" perfectly makes sense and we are a step closer to a tablet Mac thanks to Force Touch, there remain battery and speed issues to be resolved for a satisfactory preemptive multitasking. When Intel comes with such a chip then the tablet Mac will be born. We cannot ignore Intel's patent inventory and would never want to see Intel and Apple struggling in patent wars...
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 30 of 70
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    I'm not so sure this event is going to introduce anything groundbreaking. An OLED keystrip is a nice advance, but groundbreaking? Not really. What else? This isn't going to be like the Mac introduction, or the iPhone, or iPad. It's will be several, I hope, upgraded machines, and maybe the discontinuation of another.

nice, but not groundbreaking. Groundbreaking would be an ARM MacBook. I don't see that happening this year.

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

Apple has and never will be in a race to the bottom. This is exactly what that does. iOS isn't that useful for a desktop environment. It doesn't support nearly as much as macOS. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 70
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

Why iOS? They could stick macOS on there and not cripple the device as much.
    Cause intel chips and other components to make it macOS is very expensive.

The whole point is to have a $299 desktop that gives Apple a decent profit margin. This is only possible using A-series chips running iOS
    The difference between macOS and iOS is NOT the iron it runs on; it's the interface it powers. 

Apple has surely had full OS X running on AX-based lab prototypes for half a decade, and they've certainly had the branch of OS X that turned into iOS running on various hardware for testing, as well. 
    edited October 2016 dysamoria
  • Reply 32 of 70
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

Apple has and never will be in a race to the bottom. This is exactly what that does. iOS isn't that useful for a desktop environment. It doesn't support nearly as much as macOS. 
    This isn't a race to the bottom. Think of it as an iPad/iPhone accessory. 

iOS is very useful for 95% of the population. Most use their desktop only to: email, web, social media, online banking, simply games, light word processing, media. iOS can easily do all of that.

If so, then put your iPad in landscape orientation on the desk with the optional keyboard, and voilà, you get an "iOS desktop".

The point is, you don't need a desktop machine to: "email, web, social media, online banking, simply games, light word processing, media". The iPad gives you all of that. If you want to attach a mouse to the iPad then you have to wait for a macOS tablet, because iOS is built for touch interaction, not mouse interaction. Force Touch can provide the missing mouse functionality, but under macOS, not under iOS.
    randominternetpersondysamoriamacxpressspheric
  • Reply 33 of 70
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

iOS is very useful for 95% of the population. Most use their desktop only to: email, web, social media, online banking, simply games, light word processing, media. iOS can easily do all of that.

If so, then put your iPad in landscape orientation on the desk with the optional keyboard, and voilà, you get an "iOS desktop".

The point is, you don't need a desktop machine to: "email, web, social media, online banking, simply games, light word processing, media". The iPad gives you all of that. If you want to attach a mouse to the iPad then you have to wait for a macOS tablet, because iOS is built for touch interaction, not mouse interaction. Force Touch can provide the missing mouse functionality, but under macOS, not under iOS.
    Desktops are used as shared computers in a home.

An iPad with keyboard will cost $600+ because you are paying for a screen. Something you don't need if you buy a desktop and already have a screen. Plus you will be using your iPad battery. Plus the 10 inch iPad screen is too small as a desktop. If you use a iPad Pro you can just buy a Mac at that price.

What you are replacing is a desktop or family shared computer. This is replacing cheap crappy PC's that cost $300-$500.
    Shared computer? Family computer? Go back to your time machine and set your destination correctly to "2016". There is no "family computer" anymore. You cannot make a kid use his father's five years old crappy "shared computer". Kid will have her/his gaming rig, mother will have her smartphone and her tablet for better Pinterest or her ultrabook, and father will have his laptop and 5.5 inch smartphone. The computing experience is more personal than ever and you cannot make history to roll back to 2000s. No income level can justify such a backwards move.
    edited October 2016 dysamoriasennenRayz2016
  • Reply 34 of 70
    The color splash is actually a photo of the Hindu celebration Holi Festival of Colors. You can see the yellow chalk chunks in the top-left of the logo, not leaf.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

An iPad with keyboard will cost $600+ because you are paying for a screen. Something you don't need if you buy a desktop and already have a screen. Plus you will be using your iPad battery. Plus the 10 inch iPad screen is too small as a desktop. If you use a iPad Pro you can just buy a Mac at that price.

What you are replacing is a desktop or family shared computer. This is replacing cheap crappy PC's that cost $300-$500.
    Shared computer? Family computer? Go back to your time machine and set your destination correctly to "2016". There is no "family computer" anymore. You cannot make a kid use his father's five years old crappy "shared computer". Kid will have her/his gaming rig, mother will have her smartphone and her tablet for better Pinterest or her ultrabook, and father will have his laptop and 5.5 inch smartphone. The computing experience is more personal than ever and you cannot make history to roll back to 2000s. No income level can justify such a backwards move.
    So why were over 100,000,000 desktops sold last year?
    Why is Apple still selling iMac's and MacMinis?

Give me a break. Of course people still use and buy desktops. Just because that isn't YOUR PERSONAL experience does not mean its not the rest of the world.

So why did Apple release the AppleTV if shared computers are a thing of the past? The AppleTV is a shared computer with a huge monitor.

I know its trendy to say you only use mobile devices, but it simply isn't true for hundreds of millions of people.

This isn't a backwards move. This is called expanding the ecosystem and increasing the stickyness. People said the Echo was backwards too. But now Apple is scrambling to release their own version.
    Just to explain my point for a humane detail: a family may have several kids: cheap computers for each (or only one) or an expensive, well performing machine for all the kids? In my opinion parents should restrict their personal expenses to provide the best machine to their kids. Whether it be single kid or a gang, the best machine always, and they will learn to share it as brothers and sisters. I saw once a father writing in a neighbor site, bragging about how he succesfully compiled a gaming PC to replace his previous offer, a Mac Mini finally rejected by the son, obviously.  I wanted to ask how much had he spent to the Mac Mini and the new PC compilation together, instead of giving to the son an iMac at the beginning. Since the matter was delicate and was being discussed publicly, I preferred to shut my mouth.

So, what I say is not to use mobile devices only, what I say is the machine you describe can never satisfy kids. You need an iMac, and a big iMac in a family with kids, parents may share a Mac Mini or laptop as well.

Of course people still use and buy desktops. Just not for family sharing, but for their personal use mostly. The paradigm has shifted. The personal computer is more personal than ever. I don't deny the need for desktop computers, I just say that you cannot share them anymore, no one would use your shared thing while they'd do better with their smartphones and tablets.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    ppietra said:
    Why are people still ignoring that Apple used Hello for WWDC 2016 invitation? Not so long ago! Hence "again"!

No one is ignoring it. It just doesn't apply within the same context. The slogan, "Hello, WWDC16." is in reference to a common computer program, "Hello, World!". Which is used as an introduction to learning a programming language. Swift hit a significant milestone with version 3.0... it marks the first version that is "stabilized". Meaning from this point on there won't be any more changes to the compiler that will break previous code.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    sennen said:
    The splash of colour, to me, signals wide color gamut displays on the new MacBooks Pro.
    Agreed. I think the use of red and orange hues may hint at screens with a DCI-P3 color gamut, which increase the color space for red/green. Of course the iMac already has DCI-P3, as does the iPad Pro 9.7". AMD has also been talking up HDR displays for the Polaris GPUs. It would make sense for the MacBook Pro and a Thunderbolt display to have a wide color gamut.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Regarding iOS vs macOS hardware, I vividly remember when it became apparent that the Apple ][ line was being deprecated in favor of the Macintosh. The Apple ]as the revenue engine that allowed the development of the Macintosh but once the Mac could stand on its own the Apple ][ quickly faded away, much to Woz’s chagrin. I really think the Mac will eventually suffer the same fate but in a different way. Future Macs will be more like iOS devices. macOS will slowly absorb more iOS features. Macs will eventually run on A chips and become more like the Surface or Chromebook, running a unified or maybe even no OS. Of course for this to happen REAL broadband has to become ubiquitous. The “cloud” will have to be as fast as a hard drive. I don’t know how many years it will take for that to happen.

Just the thoughts of an old guy who has been “online” since 1982 when he slotted a 300 baud Hayes MicroModem in his Apple ][+ and started posting on a bulletin board system. 
    so you agree with my idea of Apple releasing an iOS desktop in the near future?

instead of a mouse it would have a touch pad. Thus converting iPhone/iPad iOS apps to iOS desktop Apps would be super easy.
    Hell no. User experience will be a shit. Mobile apps are different than desktop apps. Btw, touchpad and mouse coexist no matter what. You can't force people to use Touchpad only. Mouse and Touchpad are to drive the cursor, and they're irrelevant in touchscreen apps.
    edited October 2016 dysamoriaspheric
  • Reply 39 of 70
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

"iOS is built for touch interaction"

tvOS
  • Reply 40 of 70
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

There is still a huge market for a shared desktop computer with a keyboard. Not everyone wants to type on a cramp iPad keyboard and use a touch screen.
    No, there isn't a "huge" market for this.  No one needs a basic home desktop.  
    Gaming PCs: check.  
    High-end desktop for creative professionals: check.  
    Tablet or phone for basic internet essentials: check.  
    Something for office drones (running Windows or maybe MacOS): check.  
    Laptops for students and everyone else: check.  
    Media devices of various types: check
    Screenless Echo-type devices:  sure, maybe eventually.

Who is left that's begging for some computer, screen, and keyboard taking up furniture space?  Basically no one.

And the $300 price point is a complete joke--for Apple.  They would make less money on that than they do from selling iPhone cases.  Never going to happen.