Microsoft debuts Surface Studio all-in-one PC, refreshes high-end Surface Book

Comments

• Reply 141 of 198
    It looks terrific but lets face it, its still a Microsoft product behind the glossy video and within months it will slow down, it will crash, it will be clunky to use, it will get viruses and eventually drive you nuts... but nice concept. Good that MS are keeping the pressure on as it helps drive innovation, which is great for the consumer and helps keep people honest.

Look forward to see what Apple pull out of the bag tomorrow. the iMac is in desperate need of an upgrade / update design.
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 142 of 198
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ^^^ And it's still vaporware, and only announced now to take away some luster off Apple's real hardware tomorrow, and it will have flaws from the beginning, and it won't work well. And it's Windows and it will drive any Apple person nuts, like you say.
    edited October 2016 irelandbaconstangwatto_cobrapalomine
  • Reply 143 of 198
    That Studio thing is not 5K either. 5K requires a custom chip only Apple can deliver actually.

Meanwhile they don't compete with Apple and apparently they have no intention to. I think they want to put an end to that "convertibles" frenzy by releasing a good old PC as good as it can be... 
    edited October 2016 ireland
  • Reply 144 of 198
    fallenjt said:
    Dead in a year.

iMac clone and iPad Pro copycat.

At brutal prices, too. 

In trying to mimic Apple (poorly) MS is pricing themselves out of their own market, and into a market into which they don't belong and don't understand. 

I disagree!  I would easily pay that price or more for an Apple product with those capabilities!

Can't innovate -- Panos' ass!

What about Apple to release a giant touch screen that can be connected to iPad Pro via Lightning port? Oh yeah, you dock the iPad Pro and draw whatever on that giant screen! That's fucking disruptive and automatically make this Surface Studio a piece of archaic crap.

Surface studio is archaic? LOL don't think so. I am Mac used and i find what Microsoft is doing very cool and exciting. You can say what you like, but Microsoft are doing some cool and exciting things... Apple for the last few years haven't really... same old products, just bigger, bit faster... and i wish they stop calling the iPad a computer... it isn't...
  • Reply 145 of 198

Seriously, I'd rather get a Dell...much cheaper.

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-24-7459-aio/pd?ref=PD_OC

Or maybe the Lenovo?

http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/desktops/lenovo/a-series/a730/

If any of you have ever watch The Flash or Arrow you would have seen these two years ago.

Microsoft innovative? My @$$!!

• Reply 146 of 198
    The downside to the Surface studio is portability.  It's a great design but mimics Wacom Cintiq line. Wacom has the new mobile studio pro that may fit the needs for artists.  I feel both Apple and Microsoft pens aren't the best due to reliance on bluetooth and battery.  I'm glad to see more options available from every company so now it's time for users and solid reviews to come out over the next few months.  http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-computers/wacom-mobilestudio-pro
    solution is simple. Have the Studio for home and the Surface Book for on the go. Just as long as you're okay with taking out a 2nd mortgage.
  • Reply 147 of 198
    polymnia said:
    Hate to say it, but I can imagine there will be a lot of interest for that large screen Surface for illustrators, designers and possibly even musicians.
    I hate to say it, I am compelled.

The dial has the potential to be an Apple-esque interface innovation. That said, I'd like to see how it works IRL before showering it with accolades. For now, I'm certainly willing to grant this "imaginative concept" "with potential" labels having never touched one.

I am an avid Wacom tablet user. I've been eying up a Cintiq for years but the massive structure, with no computer built-in, has been a turnoff. You almost need a custom desk to make that setup work. This would be much simpler.

Anyway, I'm not too concerned that Apple will be out-Appled by Microsoft for long. There is a "Hello Again" event tomorrow, after all.
    haven't you been reading? The Hello Again event hasn't happened and people are already bored of it. /s
    edited October 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 148 of 198
    This is basically what Apple would have done years ago if the Mac was their only focus, as it's somewhat of the natural evolution of the iMac G4 design. But Apple had bigger fish to fry, thankfully. 
    I wouldn't count it out just yet. Apple was granted a patent for something similar in 2010

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/08/the-mother-lode-welcome-to-the-imac-touch.html

But Apple has been adamant that the Mac is strictly KB / Mouse / trackpad environment.  So, instead of thinking iMac Touch or coming at it from a Mac angle, think 27" desktop iPad Pro, custom Apple ARM SoC, "desktop class" iOS (since iOS is Apple's OS designed from the ground up for Touch / Pencil input).
    baconstang
  • Reply 149 of 198
    This is basically what Apple would have done years ago if the Mac was their only focus, as it's somewhat of the natural evolution of the iMac G4 design. But Apple had bigger fish to fry, thankfully. 
    I wouldn't count it out just yet. Apple was granted a patent for something similar in 2010

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/08/the-mother-lode-welcome-to-the-imac-touch.html

But Apple has been adamant that the Mac is strictly KB / Mouse / trackpad environment.  So, instead of thinking iMac Touch or coming at it from a Mac angle, think 27" desktop iPad Pro, custom Apple ARM SoC, "desktop class" iOS (since iOS is Apple's OS designed from the ground up for Touch / Pencil input).
    I wonder how many other companies' products are results of their designers plundering patentlyapple.com — the Surface Studio included.
    irelandbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 150 of 198

I wonder how many other companies' products are results of their designers plundering patentlyapple.com — the Surface Studio included.
    That's just the Surface Studio. There's also the Surface Book. There's this Apple patent from 2013, year before Surface Book came out

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/04/finally-apple-reveals-their-hybrid-notebook-tablet-details.html

Look familiar.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 151 of 198

That's just the Surface Studio. There's also the Surface Book. There's this Apple patent from 2013, year before Surface Book came out

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/04/finally-apple-reveals-their-hybrid-notebook-tablet-details.html

Look familiar.
    Exactly my point. :)
  • Reply 152 of 198

It's possible that Apple and Microsoft's wide-ranging patent sharing agreement enabled the Surface Studio to happen.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 153 of 198

It's possible that Apple and Microsoft's wide-ranging patent sharing agreement enabled the Surface Studio to happen.
    that would make the most sense.
  • Reply 154 of 198
    No Thunderbolt ports. And for 3k?!? Interesting idea but the studio is not portable and Apple is readying a new iPad Pro with the A11X. 

And worst of all is that it requires Windows 10. 

I'll wait patiently for the next generation iPad Pro. 

And what does MSFT mean by saying the Surface book is three times faster than the MacBook Pro? Is Skylake really that much faster than Broadwell? I find that hard to believe. Perhaps in graphics performance?

The market for the Studio is quite limited. And if Microsoft expects serious content creation on this machine, the lack of Thunderbolt is a serious limitation. 
    tmaybaconstang
  • Reply 155 of 198
    People trying to downplay this but they're in denial. This is a great looking product and DOES have a level of innovation not seen in Apple for quite a while (Apple Watch's Digital Crown is probably the most recent practical innovation they've had). This is Microsoft recognizing a market that Apple has willfully neglected and went for the jugular. It isn't over for Apple, clearly they've bested Microsoft in everything else, but now the ball is in their court for their next moves for the Mac. They may not deliver tomorrow, but I hope in time this pushes them to reintroduce their support for the pro user, and reinvent how they get their work done.
    edited October 2016 canukstormbaconstangpalomine
  • Reply 156 of 198
    No Thunderbolt ports. And for 3k?!? Interesting idea but the studio is not portable and Apple is readying a new iPad Pro with the A11X. 

And worst of all is that it requires Windows 10. 

I'll wait patiently for the next generation iPad Pro. 

And what does MSFT mean by saying the Surface book is three times faster than the MacBook Pro? Is Skylake really that much faster than Broadwell? I find that hard to believe. Perhaps in graphics performance?

The market for the Studio is quite limited. And if Microsoft expects serious content creation on this machine, the lack of Thunderbolt is a serious limitation. 
    "Interesting idea but the studio is not portable and Apple is readying a new iPad Pro with the A11X. "

You mean A10X and rumors have a new iPad Pro coming out Spring 2017

"
    And what does MSFT mean by saying the Surface book is three times faster than the MacBook Pro?"

Based on the discreet Nvidia GPU
  • Reply 157 of 198
    This is some one calling innovation?
    And as for that pen, we don't know how well it works on t surface. 
    Just a bigger touch screen with higher resolution than e.g. 

HP Pavilion All-in-One Desktop - 27-a040se 

for $1,099.99

or 

Inspiron 24 7000 Series​
    Starting at $999.99

What's a big deal about it?

• Reply 158 of 198
    Half of the commercial they show that you can tilt the monitor from 90 to 20 degrees. Probably this is innovation.
  • Reply 159 of 198

Look familiar.
    Surface Book is shipping. Surface Studio will be shipping this fall. Isn't a patent application basically vaproware? When are the above patent applications going to become shipping products?
    singularity
  • Reply 160 of 198

Look familiar.
    Surface Book is shipping. Surface Studio will be shipping this fall. Isn't a patent application basically vaproware? When are the above patent applications going to become shipping products?
    Email Tim Cook and ask him.  If you're really nice and really lucky, maybe he'll tell you.
    watto_cobra