New MacBook Pro drops optical audio out through headphone jack

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    macxpress said:
    tokyojimu said:
    They better not drop it from the Mini!
    Or else what? This is old technology and Apple sees its not widely used. There are better ways of getting digital audio in and out of your Mac. 
    So out of genuine curiosity, how does Apple know how often it's used? I know I always uncheck the box during setup to not allow my devices to send Apple "diagnostic and usage" information if that's their source. Granted, I seldom use it on my MBP, but I definitely use it on my minis.
    baconstang
  • Reply 42 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    jasenj1 said:
    Don't pat yourself on the back too hard. I've posted the same thing several times over the past couple of days in a couple of the forums. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to read the tech specs pages on Apple's web site (even though few bother to do so).  B)
    Soli
  • Reply 43 of 84
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    tokyojimu said:
    Don't worry, they're much more likely to drop the Mini entirely.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

lkrupp said:
    As someone has already pointed out, Apple’s explanation of why they left the headphone jack in the new MacBooks is total bullshit. Professional audio power users use USB interfaces, NOT the analog 3.5mm jack. They used to use Firewire until Apple gave up on it. Hell, even I use a USB Phono Plus interface to get vinyl LPs into my iMac. It has a built-in RIAA phono pre-amp input, standard line in/out, optical in/out, and digital coax s/pdif in. And I’m just an amateur hobbyist. 

There is NO logical reason for the headphone jack to be on the new MacBooks if the iPhone 7 doesn’t. 
    So then what's your theory as to why they left the 3.5mm on? For the hell of it? Apple doesn't leave anything unchanged or legacy for no reason. They obviously believe a number of pro users would still find it useful. Otherwise they would've removed it like many expected them to.
    baconstang
  • Reply 45 of 84
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    "Pro" users use the 3.5mm jack all the time; they just don't usually use it for production recording. 
    baconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 46 of 84
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Every time I read about someone saying how the new MBP isn't Pro because it doesn't have or do something they invented as a demarcation for a pro machine, I can't help but wish their parents had used a prophylactic. 
    mike1nolamacguy
  • Reply 47 of 84
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

I've never used that option on my MacBooks, but it seems like a shame that they changed it--if they did.

This support article (which may just need to be updated) certainly implies that nothing has changed:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202730

Play high sample rate digital audio on Mac computers

The audio hardware in some MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and iMac computers supports 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz digital audio when connected using optical output.

These computers support up to 192 kHz sample rate for audio playback:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) and later
    • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and later
    I have a late 2013 rMBP and high sample rate audio seems to be limited to 96kHz not 192kHz.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    lkrupp said:
    As someone has already pointed out, Apple’s explanation of why they left the headphone jack in the new MacBooks is total bullshit. Professional audio power users use USB interfaces, NOT the analog 3.5mm jack. They used to use Firewire until Apple gave up on it. Hell, even I use a USB Phono Plus interface to get vinyl LPs into my iMac. It has a built-in RIAA phono pre-amp input, standard line in/out, optical in/out, and digital coax s/pdif in. And I’m just an amateur hobbyist. 

There is NO logical reason for the headphone jack to be on the new MacBooks if the iPhone 7 doesn’t. 
    Interesting.. And I kinda agree.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    No logical reason? None? You can't see how the size of a Mac is many, many times larger than that of an iPhone?
    baconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 50 of 84
    q2hq2h Posts: 18member
    R.I.P. Apple. Before I sold me last gen MBP, I used the optical digital. This would piss me off. I can't buy another Mac until they recognize gamers and pros. All they have now are over priced consumer computers. Oh well... At least their mobile market hasn't crumbled yet. I used to be all for the Apple eco system and Apple everything, but I had the courage to use faster machines.
    baconstangsingularityVSzulc
  • Reply 51 of 84
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    sergioz said:
    Apple made their laptops so slim and now removing many loved features one by one, that's sad
    Poor us. I think Apple could've gotten away with just a couple of USB-C ports tbqh. One USB-C port for each side. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Same reasons as for keeping analogue output: if you are a pro or semi-pro, not a lot of pro equipment use TOSlink. You either go fully analog, or digital audio over USB/Thunderbolt/Firewire, as of today. Maurizio
  • Reply 53 of 84
    mike1 said:
    Absolutely would miss the digital out on an ATV. One of the reasons I haven't moved to an ATV4. I use the ATV3 for Airplay from my computer and feed the digital audio out to my AV receiver. Can't do that with an ATV4.
    Your post is off-topic but HDMI 1.4 on the latest Apple TV obviates the need for a separate optical Cable. 
    I am sure that I am not alone who has audio system without HDMI so HDMI does not solve problem. And is not news that Apple is not interested in customers that do not keep the pace with their technological pace.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 54 of 84
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Shame, I am actually using the optical out on my MBP every day and have been doing so for over 6 years.
    baconstang
  • Reply 55 of 84
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    wiggin said:
    macxpress said:
    tokyojimu said:
    Or else what? This is old technology and Apple sees its not widely used. There are better ways of getting digital audio in and out of your Mac. 
    So out of genuine curiosity, how does Apple know how often it's used? I know I always uncheck the box during setup to not allow my devices to send Apple "diagnostic and usage" information if that's their source. Granted, I seldom use it on my MBP, but I definitely use it on my minis.
    I'm sure Apple knows what people use and don't use. They don't just blindly make decisions. 

I would be more concerned about Apple dropping the Mac mini itself. If it just doesn't sell well then there's no reason to keep it around. They don't need a cheap sub-$1000 Mac. If they can't sell Mac mini's at $499-$799 then its obvious people are willing to pay more for a Mac. The Mac mini has served its purpose anyways. 
  • Reply 56 of 84
    "Pro" is an Apple (in their case, anyway) marketing designation used to distinguish a particular model from its less powerful (or somehow lesser, it isn't always in terms of raw power) sibling. It doesn't denote "for professionals" in terms of market demographics or what they may or may not need, though "professionals" might have found "Pro" gear from Apple a good fit for their needs. Don't read too much into these terms. 

And what's more, if we insist on pressing these terms further, Apple has been heavily targeting the "Prosumer" market for years now. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 57 of 84
    wiggin said:
    jasenj1 said:
    Don't pat yourself on the back too hard.
    Not too hard. But a little. :blush: 
  • Reply 58 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I always have to smile when I read the words 'optical audio' as when it first came out a not very technical friend commented to me "optical audio eh?  Last time I 'saw' audio was in the 60's!"  
  • Reply 59 of 84
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    drtkyu said:
    When my 2013 Macbook Pro - Thunderturd Display setup dies... I'm done with Macs. This new laptop offering is sad. No MagSafe, crappy GPU offerings, a dearth of useful ports, no quad core offerings except on the 15inch, RAM limited to 16GB, and questionable removal of the escape and function keys... If anyone is skipping this years offering, what are you purchasing instead? I'm thinking I might look at Razer... Any other good options? I could always run MacOS in a vm if needed.
    you're bitching about the function keys? get fucking real. not even the garden variety trolls care about the function keys. 
  • Reply 60 of 84
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    frantisek said:
    mike1 said:
    Absolutely would miss the digital out on an ATV. One of the reasons I haven't moved to an ATV4. I use the ATV3 for Airplay from my computer and feed the digital audio out to my AV receiver. Can't do that with an ATV4.
    Your post is off-topic but HDMI 1.4 on the latest Apple TV obviates the need for a separate optical Cable. 
    I am sure that I am not alone who has audio system without HDMI so HDMI does not solve problem. And is not news that Apple is not interested in customers that do not keep the pace with their technological pace.
    if your receiver doesn't have hdmi you're not in the game. apple didn't keep the 5.25 floppy drive forever, either.