Apple offers 25% off LG UltraFine 4K and 5K displays for limited time

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I guess this is good but man how did Apple get pricing wrong to being with? Outside of the original iPhone how often has Apple reduced the price on a product only a week or so after it was announced?

Yes, I think the desire to pile in has made people forget one important detail: This is not an Apple product, so the pricing is not down to them. The reason the monitor is being branded 'ugly', probably by people who will complain that Apple stuff is too proprietary in the next thread, is that because it has to blend in with kit that isn't always going to be Apple. LG makes the monitor, and they obviously want to sell it to people who may not be Apple users. 

The mistake here is that Apple seemed to have forgotten that people who whine about one thing will often turn around and whine about something else.

Apple stuff is form over function. 
    So Apple makes something that is most definitely function over form
    The same people now complain that they don't like it because it's ugly.

I hope this doesn't mark the beginning of Apple paying attention to internet whingers, because if it is, then the company will be bankrupt in about ten years.

Soli
  • Reply 42 of 50
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Soli said:
    appex said:
    That is the way to go. Now, let's do it also for RAM and SSD (not charging 2 to 3 times more than the very same make/model from manufacturer or retailers like Amazon).
    Can you show me these PCIe, sideways-mounted SSDs now using an Apple-design controller that has "the very same make/model" on Amazon?
    Yes, people really need to do a bit of basic internet research before jumping in to feel aggrieved and special.

Here's someone who's got hold of a laptop and actually done some testing (with evidence and results), rather than just wade in because everyone else is wading in.

https://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6355

edited November 2016 Soli
  • Reply 43 of 50
    avon b7 said:
    The iPhone price cut was due to them getting the price wrong. There was demand for the product but not enough at the asking price. Jobs went on record as saying Apple had betrayed the trust of its core users. He had previously said that they would ship a million of the devices. It's probable that sales were slacking after a few weeks and they saw that they'd have to announce missing their target. To remedy that situation and activate sales they cut the price by a third. Given that the roll out was scaled across different regions at different times, .the launch at $600 was far from successful in terms of units shipped. The price cut got things rolling again.

Something similar could happen with these new MBPs if sales drop off. The problem is $200 won't be enough to remedy it this time IMO. In a worst case scenario they might just wait till the next revision and say any price reduction was a result of economies of scale, component costs, reduced margins etc. Anything that means they don't have to admit they screwed up.

But as this is the new Apple with 'courage', Tim Cook might just come out and say 'we got it wrong', 'we hear what you are saying and are working to give you what you want'.

That said, it's too early to tell. Schiller wants us to believe the new line is a hot seller (although he chose his words very carefully and didn't give any numbers). I remember in the past that they have bragged about the number of orders. Not this time.

Time will tell. I'm just one person who won't be buying these things. If I'm alone in my stance, that's great for Apple. If I'm not alone though...
    Apple never gives sales figures for specific models of Macs so that's not telling at all. Here's a counter argument to 16GB RAM is not a pro device: https://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6355
    mr omacxpressforegoneconclusion
  • Reply 44 of 50
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    crowley said:
    chromos said:
    both displays act as Thunderbolt 3 breakout docks for the port-limited notebooks

This is incorrect. Only the 5K monitor is Thunderbolt. The 4K, while sporting USB-C ports, is only USB 2.

Jeez, if true (not doubting you) that's ludicrous, USB2 died years ago why on earth would any manufacturer use USB2 today, it's a POS connection protocol.
    Appears to be true: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKMY2LL/A/lg-ultrafine-4k-display

"And three downstream USB-C ports (480 Mbps) offer additional connectivity and power to compatible devices and accessories."

Bit weird.
    Notice that the input is not TB 3. It's just garden-variety USB-C.

which is actually VERY cool for MacBook owners.

the 21.5" 4K display is the perfect pair for a MacBook. And you get 3 USB ports, which that plug-starved model needs.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    polymnia said:
    A better way to put that is the built-in USB-C hub only allows for USB 2.0 speeds (i.e.: 480Mibps), not USB 3.0 speeds.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Wireless audio is a mistake, I don't care who does it. Putting wireless things in your ears is looney, and I'm not even one of those people who believes wireless will cause cancer, this is just bad for so many reasons from a latency and bandwidth perspective that I hope it's a really short lived technology. Bluetooth headphones were always terrible and I refused to buy any after the first bluetooth headset I never got more than 4 hours of use out of. It was much less of a pain in the ass to plug in the earbuds/headphones that came with the phone.

All of the audiophile headphone companies that now make wireless bluetooth headphones disagree with you. 
    mike1
  • Reply 47 of 50
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,390member
    I guess this is good but man how did Apple get pricing wrong to being with? Outside of the original iPhone how often has Apple reduced the price on a product only a week or so after it was announced?
    It's an LG monitor, not Apple. So it's not their pricing to get right or wrong. It costs Apple Store $XXX to buy it and then they add their margin to that. Just like any other retail product. They probably, however, helped LG see the light and suggested that they may improve sales if the price was lower. I'd wager, Apple remains almost whole and LG is taking most of the hit.
  • Reply 48 of 50

Here's a counter argument to 16GB RAM is not a pro device: https://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6355

Great post! 

From the article:

I finally got my MBP to do a teeny bit of back and forth swapping as I pushed up close (15GB) to the 16GB memory limit. I have to open almost every last thing on my system. Here’s what I ran:

• VMwarei Fusion: Three running virtual machines (Windows 10, macOS Sierra, Debian Linux)
    • Adobe Photoshop CC: Four 1+gb 36 MP professional, multi-layer photos
    • Adobe InDesign CC: A 22 page photography-intensive project
    • Adobe Bridge CC: Browsing a folder with 163GB photos (307 images total)
    • DxO Optics Pro: (Pro-photography workflow software) Editing a folder of images
    • Xcode: Five production Objective-C projects, all cleaned and rebuilt
    • Microsoft PowerPoint: A slide deck presentation
    • Microsoft Word: Fifteen different chapters (separate .doc files) from my last book
    • Microsoft Excel: A single workbook
    • MachOView: Analyzing a daemon binary
    • Mozilla FireFox: Four different websites, each in a separate window
    • Safari: Eleven different websites, each in a separate window
    • Preview: Three PDF books, including one very graphic intensive book
    • Hopper Disassembler: Performing an analysis on a binary
    • WireShark: Performing a live network capture as I do all of this
    • IDA Pro 64-bit: Analyzing a 64-bit intel binary
    • Apple Mail: Viewing four mailboxes
    • Tweetbot: Reading all the flames and trolls in my mentions
    • iBooks: Currently viewing an ebook I paid for
    • Terminal: A few sessions idling
    • iTunes
    • Little Flocker
    • Little Snitch
    • OverSight
    • Finder
    • Calendar
    • Contacts
    • Photos
    • Veracrypt
    • Activity Monitor
    • Path Finder
    • Console
    • Probably a lot I’ve missed
  • Reply 49 of 50
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Soli said:
    polymnia said:
    A better way to put that is the built-in USB-C hub only allows for USB 2.0 speeds (i.e.: 480Mibps), not USB 3.0 speeds.
    I prefer "garden-variety" because I'm not a robot  ;)
  • Reply 50 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    polymnia said:
    Soli said:
    polymnia said:
    I prefer "garden-variety" because I'm not a robot 
    1) That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me.

2) Now that I think about it, I've never passed a Turing test. I've never taken one, either, but that means there isn't enough data to make a determination that I'm not a robot.

edited November 2016