Apple offers 25% off LG UltraFine 4K and 5K displays for limited time

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2016
In conjunction with slashed USB-C peripheral and accessory price drop, Apple on Friday rolled out a limited time offer on LG's UltraFine 4K and 5K displays, both of which were designed to take full advantage of the new MacBook Pro lineup.

Quietly announced through Apple's online storefront, the discount offers a 25 percent savings on original list pricing for both LG UltraFine models. With special pricing in place, the 4K version drops from $699 to $524, while the ultra high-resolution 5K model goes from $1,299.95 to $974.

According to the fine print, Apple's special pricing applies to orders placed between Oct. 27 through Dec. 31, 2016, suggesting customers who purchased either display will see the balance retroactively credited to their respective accounts.

Developed in partnership with Apple, the LG UltraFine 4K and 5K displays debuted alongside a redesigned MacBook Pro lineup at a special media event last week. Aside from the extra screen real estate, both displays act as Thunderbolt 3 breakout docks for the port-limited notebooks, much like Apple's erstwhile Thunderbolt Display.

The LG UltraFine 5K Display measures 27 inches on the diagonal and supports resolutions up to 5,120-by-2,880 faithful to the P3 wide color gamut. On the back are three USB 3.1 ports for attaching high-speed accessories. Stereo speakers, a microphone and a camera are built in. The display also delivers 85W of power over Thunderbolt 3 to a connected MacBook Pro.

LG's 4K monitor comes in at 21.5 inches with a resolution of 4,096-by-2,304 and P3 color. Like its larger sibling, it comes with three USB-C ports on the back, but limited to the slower USB 2 specification. The display's internal power supply is also limited, delivering 60W of charging power over Thunderbolt 3.

The 4K version can be purchased now with current a ship time of five to six weeks, while the 5K variant is expected to become available in December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Now just give us an updated mini and the 4K would be a super companion for it.
    viclauyycdavenpscooter63pulseimagesdoozydozenwilliamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 2 of 50
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Now give us a 25% discount on the new MacBook Pros  :D
    viclauyycschlackpulseimagesdws-2doozydozendtb200shunting123
  • Reply 3 of 50
    mazda 3s said:
    Go ahead. Hold your breath and throw a tantrum.
    davenpulseimagesdoozydozenwilliamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 4 of 50
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    That is the way to go. Now, let's do it also for RAM and SSD (not charging 2 to 3 times more than the very same make/model from manufacturer or retailers like Amazon).
    viclauyycschlackpulseimagesdoozydozensedicivalvole
  • Reply 5 of 50
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Wow, that's awesome!

It is very encouraging to see Apple show such awareness and responsiveness regarding customer complaints. 
    schlackpulseimagesdoozydozensedicivalvole
  • Reply 6 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    mazda 3s said:
    Amazon did on the release day. Where were you? People snapped the new MBP for ~$1100.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Glad to see Apple moving a bit on this. Those monitor prices are still pretty steep, but palatable at least. Now move your base MBP 13" to $1,300 and your MBP with TB 13" to $1,500, and give them 512GB SSD and we're in a good space.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Tempting to buy just for future use. I was looking at a 24" Dell 1k monitor for $270. My iMac is starting to falter and I have a spare 2012 mini I can use to replace it until I get I get system that supports 4K. Anyone know if you can use a 4K monitor on a computer that outputs 1k video?

update: I see from the specs on Apple's page, the monitor requires a USB C connection. The mini has the older style USB connector and are 3.0 types. I don't know if they are compatible but I doubt it.
    edited November 2016 ireland
  • Reply 9 of 50
    I guess this is good but man how did Apple get pricing wrong to being with? Outside of the original iPhone how often has Apple reduced the price on a product only a week or so after it was announced?
    schlack
  • Reply 10 of 50
    I guess this is good but man how did Apple get pricing wrong to being with? Outside of the original iPhone how often has Apple reduced the price on a product only a week or so after it was announced?
    Does it really matter.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 50
    appex said:
    That is the way to go. Now, let's do it also for RAM and SSD (not charging 2 to 3 times more than the very same make/model from manufacturer or retailers like Amazon).
    Apple's RAM and SSD's upgrades are nothing as crazy expensive as they used be. Fastest SSD's in the industry as well.
    williamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 50
    both displays act as Thunderbolt 3 breakout docks for the port-limited notebooks

This is incorrect. Only the 5K monitor is Thunderbolt. The 4K, while sporting USB-C ports, is only USB 2.

nubus
  • Reply 13 of 50
    nubusnubus Posts: 380member
    They never do discounts - and certainly not 1 week after launch. The Apple Store isn't able to show the "before/after" price on the dongles. They had to make a banner at the top of the page. The 5k iMac got a discount after 6-7 months... but 1 week. Never.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    ireland said:
    Does it really matter.
    Yes. It says to me Apple is not on top of its game. I don't know who's responsible for setting prices but they screwed up. I'll bet 3rd parties will be allowed to offer deep discounts on the new MBPs.
    dtb200sedicivalvole
  • Reply 15 of 50
    fallenjt said:
    mazda 3s said:
    Amazon did on the release day. Where were you? People snapped the new MBP for ~$1100.
    Wait, what!!!!!!???? 
  • Reply 16 of 50
    mazda 3s said:
    fallenjt said:
    mazda 3s said:
    Wait, what!!!!!!???? 
    Never happened.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 50
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    ireland said:
    Does it really matter.
    Yes. It says to me Apple is not on top of its game. I don't know who's responsible for setting prices but they screwed up. I'll bet 3rd parties will be allowed to offer deep discounts on the new MBPs.

I don't think they're actually changing prices — just a sale on adapters and two monitors. The move definitely feels weird. I have to think this would not affect their bottom line in any noticeable or permanent way?

It also doesn't really affect the final cost much for consumers. I just bought a 15" MBP, so it's going to save me about $40 in accessories on a $3000 computer. I definitely appreciate it, but again, it really doesn't move the needle much beyond a little bit of a warm fuzzy. It definitely doesn't make it more or less affordable overall, so I doubt the change would boost sales based on affordability.

My hope is that it's Apple bringing some things down to cost as a goodwill gesture. It is odd, though.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    mazda 3s said:
    fallenjt said:
    mazda 3s said:
    Wait, what!!!!!!???? 
    Never happened.
    Apparently it did 

http://bgr.com/2016/10/28/macbook-pro-2016-price-discount-amazon/amp/?client=safari
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Interesting that the LG monitor is basically the same price as the Apple branded monitor they discontinued. For $1K, they should make it look like an iMac but thinner and it would kick butt.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    appex said:
    Can you show me these PCIe, sideways-mounted SSDs now using an Apple-design controller that has "the very same make/model" on Amazon?
    fastasleepnolamacguy