Apple scaling back iPhone 7 production as early demand fades - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 123
    ... regardless, was visiting a friend yesterday, noted that he is the first friend I've encountered with the new phone. Usually by now something like a quarter of my friends have upgraded devices. Uptake is definitely slow. 
  • Reply 22 of 123
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,041member
    cali said:
     What do you guys think of Apple providing carrier services? 

I believe this will help apple better distribute their own products and cut all the crap with carriers taking advantage of its users. 
    I know that Apple would not have given me the phone for free like T-Mobile did.  Apple might offer a reasonably cheap all-in plan though, maybe even with free roaming and overseas data - like T-Mobile does.  Now, I know perfectly well that in the end, the customer pays for everything.  But I'm paying $140/month for 4 lines of service and I got a couple of free iPhone 7s in the process.  Apple could cut out the carrier as a middle-man and help their own bottom line, but I am not convinced it would help mine.
  • Reply 23 of 123
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    "Apple typically slows down iPhone orders as a new year approaches, since the highest shopper demand is typically during its September launch window and the subsequent holiday rush."

So what's the issue, then?

ai46mike1andrewj5790pscooter63magman1979
  • Reply 24 of 123
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,130member
    @sog35 you've had your say, now drop it... I won't let you hijack another thread!

I've come to the conclusion that sog is a paid operative. I'm not exactly sure how he (she?) is connected to AI, since any controversy in comments sections of a web site drives more traffic and thus more ads and revenue to the host. AI has no interest in reducing this kind of commentor - quite the contrary. The more controversial, the better.

It's brilliant, actually. A person can create and shape a full time job out of selecting a tech focus and troll the forums with controversial, repetitive comments, thus shaping a reality for others. If coordinated carefully, one might even be able to attract enough attention to manipulate sentiment in key sectors. 

The old boiler room of sales callers may now be replaced with displaced workers that can be trained to sit at home and become professional commentors. sog may even be employed by a brokerage firm to drive sales on AAPL or to drum up support for investor discontent regarding BoD votes.S/he clearly has an agenda. 
    mwhitetmayai46bigpicspscooter63magman19792old4funwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 25 of 123
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,041member
    sog35 said:
    spice-boy said:
    I think the reason Apple extended the iPhone 6 design into the 7 model is because the new design which will be introduced as the 8 was not ready yet. Which makes most people are predicting that 8 will be a radical change in design, materials and some new tricks. I tend to hold onto my iPhones for 3 years so I don't really care but I am puzzled by people that upgrade every year for what recently has been minor changes (3D touch) and camera improvements. I see no reason for it but then again I live debt free, pay my cc bill in full each month and don't shop because I am bored. 
    I told am holding a 3 year old phone the 6+

I see ZERO reason to buy the 6s or the 6ss. 
    The 6+ was introduced just over 2 years ago, but whatever.    I didn't see any reason to upgrade my iPhone 6 until T-Mobile offered one for free.  The reason isn't because the iPhone 7 isn't great (it is), the reason is that the iPhone 6 was also great.  I'm a shareholder but I am also a customer.  I think it's just fine that there's no particular urgency to replace a pretty new device.  At some point the phone will get broken, lost, stolen, or start to fail or the newer one will have some feature that appeals.  Then you will have a reason to buy the 6sss or 6ssss, or however many S's they're up to when that happens.  (And yes, I know snog is trying to make some point by writing "6ss".)
    andrewj5790magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 123
    sog35 said:
    blastdoor said:
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

Why would people want to buy a phone with a 3 year old design?  I mean seriously. If someone holds their phone for 2 year, this phone will have a 5 year old design at the end of their ownership cycle.

To release the same phone design THREE YEARS IN A ROW is the height of Apple's arrogance. But that's Tim Cook's Apple for you. The amount of mistakes this idiot CEO has made is ridiculous.

I hope this iPhone 6SS sells like crap. Hope the stock tanks hard by early 2017. And the board/shareholders wake up and fire Tim Cook. With a competent CEO who actually cares about growing the business and brand (instead of going on some dumb ass social crusade) this stock would be at $200 by now.

it seems to me that the difference in physical appearance between the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 6 is in the same ballpark as the difference between the iPhone 5 and 4. True, there was a change in materials between the 4 and 5 and there really hasn't been a big change in materials since the 5, but I don't think the materials matter that much. Also, I actually think the iPhone 7 looks really good. I just don't think this is an issue. 

If we define "design" more broadly than physical appearance (which I think we should), then the iPhone 7 has a lot going for it. The SOC is far and away the best on the market. The storage speed is phenomenal. The camera is very good -- whether it's the best depends on what you care about. Waterproofing is a good feature. 

The biggest problem with the design is the omission of the 3.5 mm jack. I think that's really the crux of the bad sales. If AirPods had been released a year before the iPhone 7, and if they worked well and people loved them, then removing the 3.5 mm jack would have seemed like obviously the right thing to do. Instead, they remove the jack, promise these great new wireless earphones, but then delay them indefinitely. There were surveys showing interest in the AirPods running much higher than interest in the Apple Watch. 

So my theory is that sales are weak because of the audio situation. 
    I can instantly tell the difference between an iPhone4 and iPhone5. Even from 10+ feet away.  I can't tell the difference between the front of an iPhone6, 6s, and 7. That is a huge problem. People want the latest and greatest. And they want people to know they have the latest. 

The audio thing is an absolute disaster. Apple goes on a crusade to tell us that wireless is the future, yet the Airpods are MIA three months after the release of the iPhone7. Flatout ridiculous. If the Airpods are not ready they should have never deleted the headphone jack.
    Apparently the visible dual camera and jet black treatment is enough for an awful lot of people. You sure come across as a whiny child. Also, this report says iPhone 7. I doubt Apple is cutting production on the 7 Plus since they have not even met demand yet. So Apple being surprised by the product mix going more to the Plus is not a bad thing. It means their ASP will be even higher.
    calidick applebaumStrangeDayspscooter63magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 123
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    sog35 said:

it seems to me that the difference in physical appearance between the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 6 is in the same ballpark as the difference between the iPhone 5 and 4. True, there was a change in materials between the 4 and 5 and there really hasn't been a big change in materials since the 5, but I don't think the materials matter that much. Also, I actually think the iPhone 7 looks really good. I just don't think this is an issue. 

If we define "design" more broadly than physical appearance (which I think we should), then the iPhone 7 has a lot going for it. The SOC is far and away the best on the market. The storage speed is phenomenal. The camera is very good -- whether it's the best depends on what you care about. Waterproofing is a good feature. 

The biggest problem with the design is the omission of the 3.5 mm jack. I think that's really the crux of the bad sales. If AirPods had been released a year before the iPhone 7, and if they worked well and people loved them, then removing the 3.5 mm jack would have seemed like obviously the right thing to do. Instead, they remove the jack, promise these great new wireless earphones, but then delay them indefinitely. There were surveys showing interest in the AirPods running much higher than interest in the Apple Watch. 

Isn't the audio situation mitigated by:

iPhone 7 In the Box
    • iPhone with iOS 10
    • EarPods with Lightning Connector
    • Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter
    • Lightning to USB Cable
    • USB Power Adapter
    • Documentation

The adapter is a Band-Aid solution to a self-inflicted wound.  It is better to have a Band-Aid than not have a Band-Aid; but even better not to inflict the wound in the first place. 

There are valid reasons (valuable space inside the iPhone, water-resistance, etc.) to ditch the 3.5 mm for Lightening.

Honest question:  It seems to me that keeping a short adapter plugged into the end of your wired earphone cable is a very minor inconvenience... How many iPhone users have multiple, wired, 3.5 earphones -- where this would be as much of an issue as you say it is?

In any case, your issue will go away as the AirPods become availability... Over the years, Apple has done similar things (SCSI, ADB, FireWire, USB, Floppys, CD/DVD, etc.) and, historically, it is seen and abandoning existing, obsolete baggage in favor of gaining future tech advantages.

calimagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 123
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    "Apple typically slows down iPhone orders as a new year approaches, since the highest shopper demand is typically during its September launch window and the subsequent holiday rush."

So what's the issue, then?

Good question. 

I guess things inks will keep going downhill until Apple releases Sog's triangular phone. 
    king editor the grateStrangeDaysquadra 610pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 123
    eightzero said:
    @sog35 you've had your say, now drop it... I won't let you hijack another thread!

I've come to the conclusion that sog is a paid operative. I'm not exactly sure how he (she?) is connected to AI, since any controversy in comments sections of a web site drives more traffic and thus more ads and revenue to the host. AI has no interest in reducing this kind of commentor - quite the contrary. The more controversial, the better.

It's brilliant, actually. A person can create and shape a full time job out of selecting a tech focus and troll the forums with controversial, repetitive comments, thus shaping a reality for others. If coordinated carefully, one might even be able to attract enough attention to manipulate sentiment in key sectors. 

The old boiler room of sales callers may now be replaced with displaced workers that can be trained to sit at home and become professional commentors. sog may even be employed by a brokerage firm to drive sales on AAPL or to drum up support for investor discontent regarding BoD votes.S/he clearly has an agenda. 
    You may be right.  

However, when a few users dominate an interesting thread with [mostly] off-topic rants -- many people just move on. IMO, this causes AI and it's readers to lose in the bigger picture!

tmaywilliamhtenthousandthingsai46pscooter63magman19792old4funwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 123
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    eightzero said:

Well said I totally agree with you...
    ai46StrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 123
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    ireland said:
    It's an expensive phone. In Europe the phone starts at $825 including 23% tax. $635 excluding tax.

I reckon if the phone started at €649 instead of €779 it'd be an awful lot more popular for new phone buyers here.

Gee 23% tax, in the US it more like 6% to 8%. No wonder the EU is in trouble you have to tax the hell out of people so they can pay for all the free services people coming to the EU want. Now you know why the UK decided to exit
    andrewj5790
  • Reply 32 of 123
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,921member
    Up and down rumors float all the time and most on downside turns out wrong. I am looking across the smartphones domain and there is nothing earth shattering anyone else came out or appear in pipeline. So, stop beating down Apple on such stupid rumors. Moreover, if you are not at the level of those working at Apple than best shut up.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 123
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    bobroo said:
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

Why would people want to buy a phone with a 3 year old design?  I mean seriously. If someone holds their phone for 2 year, this phone will have a 5 year old design at the end of their ownership cycle.

To release the same phone design THREE YEARS IN A ROW is the height of Apple's arrogance. But that's Tim Cook's Apple for you. The amount of mistakes this idiot CEO has made is ridiculous.

I hope this iPhone 6SS sells like crap. Hope the stock tanks hard by early 2017. And the board/shareholders wake up and fire Tim Cook. With a competent CEO who actually cares about growing the business and brand (instead of going on some dumb ass social crusade) this stock would be at $200 by now.

You couldn't be more correct!

But might I add, it must be difficult to sell an iPhone 7 if about two weeks after you release it Apple begins releasing the manufactured news rumors about the potential iPhone 8. 

I doubt many average iPhone customers know much about the iPhone "8". There haven't been any mainstream news reports about it.

And the lack of a headphone jack was always going to hurt the iPhone 7. But let people look at high early adopter sales numbers, which are always going to be there for an Apple product, and assume the loss of the headphone jack makes no difference to anyone whatsoever, much less impact sales.

caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 123
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,401member

So, in other words, normal business cycles are once again proving to be cyclical. Hmm, go figure.
    tmayai46pscooter63magman1979
  • Reply 35 of 123
    It's pretty simple and has nothing to do with aesthetics. These phones are so good now The incremental improvements aren't enough to get people to upgrade every 1 or 2 years. The screen is good enough and the phone is fast enough for what most people do. A significant improvement in battery life would be a huge selling point but Apple has apparently decided the current battery life is sufficient so that's most likely not going to change anytime soon.
    anantksundaramtmaycanukstormmagman1979
  • Reply 36 of 123
    eightzero said:

I've come to the conclusion that sog is a paid operative. ....S/he clearly has an agenda. 
    Of course s/he has an agenda. But "paid operative"? C'mon. That's just innuendo. He usually backs up every single thing he says -- you may or may not agree with it -- with actual data or evidence. You could start by countering the evidence he brings up. That would be more credible.

Similarly, I find @dick applebaum's threat to be childish and frankly, offensive. @sog35 is not the one "hijacking the thread." It's people who endlessly respond to him in a knee-jerk fashion as @eightzero does.
    edited December 2016 holyoneMikeymikecaliavon b7bobroo
  • Reply 37 of 123
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    bobroo said:
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

You couldn't be more correct!

But might I add, it must be difficult to sell an iPhone 7 if about two weeks after you release it Apple begins releasing the manufactured news rumors about the potential iPhone 8. 
    There isn't any advantage for Apple to release details of the iPhone 8 early, and the disadvantages of lost sales make it unlikely that any manufacturer create such expectations. So I'm calling bullshit on Apple being the source of rumors, though person's as yourself are always so proud to point it out as if it is fact.

All the rumors on the iPhone 8 are based on supply chain leaks, nothing more.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 123
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

This coming from the guy who think mining people's personal information and selling the information is better way to make money. I am still waiting for you to share with me all your email accounts and passwords and Bank account information so I can see if you really do not have anything to hide.

BTW have you looked around at the competitors in the last 3 or 4 years all their phones look the same, and perform worse than an Apple phone. Okay a few took out the SD card and put them back in so people thought they were getting something new. A few other are playing the specmanship game or check list buying game of the 90's to make people think they got a new better product. Grant I do not buy ever new phone that comes out I trend to get them replace every 3 to 4 yrs since the apple phones are tough as nails and just work for a long time. But apple does not kill the last product with the next release of software.

I dare you to name one product which the actually visual design have changed significantly enough every year that you can tell which module year it is with a quick look. Even cars which relay in trying to look different all the time only cycle every 5 yrs, all the other changes are color choose from year to year or some subtle trim change. No company is evolving their designs as fast a apple is, in 9 Yrs they gone through 3.5 design platform on the phone. Who in 10 yrs has done more then more than this. Keep in mind that all cell phone today pretty much look like an iphone, I think that is your real issue. 

calimagman1979watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 39 of 123
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member

blastdoor said:
    sog35 said:

Isn't the audio situation mitigated by:

iPhone 7 In the Box
    • iPhone with iOS 10
    • EarPods with Lightning Connector
    • Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter
    • Lightning to USB Cable
    • USB Power Adapter
    • Documentation

Off topic, but sog35 gets away with it, so I'll do the same;

https://medium.com/@rymcol/benchmarks-for-the-top-server-side-swift-frameworks-vs-node-js-24460cfe0beb#.4b18hkahv

Swift gets more love every day.
    cali
  • Reply 40 of 123
    is sog actually trump?
    dick applebaummagman1979watto_cobra