Watch: Apple's 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar vs. 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro in performance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64

wood1208 said:
    Apple introduced a sleek(yes), powerful(Yes/No) laptop in 2016. Touch strip is certainly novelty and flexible use multi-function but normal users don't even use Function keys. Hope, Apple keep one model without touch strip. Importantly, for models without touch strip need one/two extra Type-C port on other side..
    Why would anyone need 5 or 6 USB-C ports in their laptop? If you're going to be connecting that many things at one time (which is unlikely ever for 99%+ of users), you're going to want them plugged into a dock of some sort. And asking Apple to make and sell models without a feature like the touch strip is likely going to fall on deaf ears. If you want a cheaper computer without all the bells and whistles, buy a used one. This works for car buying, it can work for computers.
    Yah. People complain about dongles (actually connection adapters; not "dongles"), Yet they have no problem with the fact that their laptop looks like a flattened spider with cords all over the left and right of their desk surface.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Anyway, great video review, especially the attention paid to the new heat performance of this design. 

Mikeymike
  • Reply 23 of 64
    You don't mention the video software used in your testing, but I assume it was FCPX. How about a video stress test using Premiere Pro 2017 and DaVinci Resolve 12.5? Without the "in-house" advantage that FCPX might have, how do these two stack up on the 2016 machines compared to 2015 models?
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Ironhead said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple introduced a sleek(yes), powerful(Yes/No) laptop in 2016. Touch strip is certainly novelty and flexible use multi-function but normal users don't even use Function keys. Hope, Apple keep one model without touch strip. Importantly, for models without touch strip need one/two extra Type-C port on other side..
    Why would anyone need 5 or 6 USB-C ports in their laptop? If you're going to be connecting that many things at one time (which is unlikely ever for 99%+ of users), you're going to want them plugged into a dock of some sort. And asking Apple to make and sell models without a feature like the touch strip is likely going to fall on deaf ears. If you want a cheaper computer without all the bells and whistles, buy a used one. This works for car buying, it can work for computers.
    The 13" non-touchbar model only has two USB-C ports on one side. He would like at least one more on the other side for convenience.

Ah.  That makes perfect sense.  He's right.  Having only 1 free USB-C port (while plugged in) would be quite limiting.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    My only editorial suggestion about this great video is: change the byline from 'AppleInsider Staff' to the dude's real name.  Nice job.
    MikeymikeMaxYuryev
  • Reply 26 of 64
    This article read more like a fluff article.  Many reported worse battery life with real world work...but AI watched a YouTube video and claimed better battery life.  Watching YouTube all day is not real world work.  USB-C is the future...until the next port comes around in a few years.  They said the same thing about USB, FireWire, and even Thunderbolt 1 and 2 ports.  Apple should have included a few free dongles with a laptop that now cost hundreds more than the model it replaced.  Everyone out there still uses USB-A for printers, scanners, and even Apple's very own iPhone.  No one has USB-C peripherals, so everyone needs to buy either new cables or dongles to plug into existing displays, printers, hard drives, etc.  People with 5 year old MacBooks can consider upgrading, but anyone with a 2015 model would be an idiot to upgrade to a more expensive model with a worse keyboard.  The touchbar is nice, and I used one in person, but it is definitely not the reason to upgrade to the new model.  
    Free dongles? OK then submit a feedback to Apple for that: Say that you don't want to pay $9 for a USB-C to USB adapter and that Apple sends you a few free ones.

I own a 2015 model 15" and cannot buy the new 15" model right now. I confirm that the points exposed in this video regarding the 2015 model are true, except maybe game parameters which are discussable. They forgot to mention the annoying light leakage from the old keyboard. It makes the keyboard look cheap. The new keyboard is much better for my 10 finger typing.

As an owner of the 2015 model 15" shown in the video would I mind to upgrade to the new 15" with Touch Bar ? Absolutely yes:
    • for the fastest SSD in the industry featuring NVMExpress; this feature alone is the one which leverages all the price differences with previous models
    • for better thermal management
    • for Thunderbolt 3 and also charging flexibility from one of four ports
    • for the Polaris GPU
    • for Touch ID and Apple Pay
    • for better keyboard without light leakage
    • for larger trackpad
    • I don't use function keys, I use keyboard shortcuts I defined in the Keyboard pane instead. The Touch Bar is great for the new level of interaction it introduces.

edited December 2016 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 27 of 64
    This article read more like a fluff article.  Many reported worse battery life with real world work...but AI watched a YouTube video and claimed better battery life.  Watching YouTube all day is not real world work.  USB-C is the future...until the next port comes around in a few years.  They said the same thing about USB, FireWire, and even Thunderbolt 1 and 2 ports.  Apple should have included a few free dongles with a laptop that now cost hundreds more than the model it replaced.  Everyone out there still uses USB-A for printers, scanners, and even Apple's very own iPhone.  No one has USB-C peripherals, so everyone needs to buy either new cables or dongles to plug into existing displays, printers, hard drives, etc.  People with 5 year old MacBooks can consider upgrading, but anyone with a 2015 model would be an idiot to upgrade to a more expensive model with a worse keyboard.  The touchbar is nice, and I used one in person, but it is definitely not the reason to upgrade to the new model.  

How was it a fluff article?  Did you even pay attention?  The video specifically says that you get a little less battery life with the new model watching videos and the efficiency of the new processors only pays off when doing very intensive work.  That's a balanced perspective that doesn't gloss over the issue.

And USB, FireWire, and Thunderbolt were never presented as the do-everything port that USB-C/Thunderbolt is.  I spent $9 on a pair of tiny USB-A-to-USB-C plugs in anticipation of my new MPB (arriving Tuesday!).  Perhaps I'll need a couple more over time.  Would I have appreciated having a couple in the box?  Of course, but then people would complain that they didn't include 4.  If this is really an issue, there's nothing stopping retailers from including them for free.

Mikeymikeration alapple2cbb-15
  • Reply 28 of 64
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,664member
    tommis said:
    Second time you've spammed your ancient-trope-laden piece of shit article. 

Fuck off. 
    ai46roundaboutnow
  • Reply 29 of 64
    SkyReiter said:
    You don't mention the video software used in your testing, but I assume it was FCPX. How about a video stress test using Premiere Pro 2017 and DaVinci Resolve 12.5? Without the "in-house" advantage that FCPX might have, how do these two stack up on the 2016 machines compared to 2015 models?
    Were Premiere Pro 2017 and DaVinci Resolve 12.5 built to take advantage of the newer hardware technologies? If not, is that a fault of the new MBPs?
    Can Premiere Pro 2017 and DaVinci Resolve 12.5 be updated to take advantage of the newer hardware technologies? Will they?
    You betcha. 
    But, needless to say, anyone who wants to stay where they are (stay where they have been) is welcome to do so. Others will move forward.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 30 of 64
    tommis said:
    The real reason the Macbook Pro is so expensive has nothing to do with tech.  http://techwritr.com/2016/12/02/why-does-the-new-macbook-pro-costs-so-much/
    Sorry but that article really does not get to the bottom on the reasons why the new MBP costs so much more.
    Some commentters here have called this (on AI) a fluff piece. That linked article is a fluff piece. IT really does not contain the details of why there is a cost increase, just a few comments. I call it a content free article.

Then, how manty times to you have to link to it from one AI thread? Do you have some financial interest in the end point for the link?
    Please tell us so we can learn to avoid the site until it actually posts something worth reading.

Phew... I have to say that the new MBP is not perfect and I have voiced my concerns about it and the things missing from it. But reading a number of more real world reviews I find it more attractive. The big issue is that I'd have to go for the one with a 2TB SSD unless I can get some USB-C SSD's. My 1TB drive is 95% full with my 2016 photos let alone the other 100K+ in my Library.
    Now I just need to save 20 weeks pension to be able to afford a new 15incher.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    franktanfranktan Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Can you proofread the Entertainment section of your article? It reads as if you're comparing the 2015 MBP with the older model (also the 2015 MBP)? Huh???? ======= If you like to play games on your portable machine, the 2015 Macbook with the AMD 460 graphics is about 60% faster in the "Heaven" Unreal Engine benchmark, and under BootCamp can play some modern titles like "Battlefield 1" with medium-to-high setting at a constant 60FPS —which is something the older model could never do. =======
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 32 of 64
    frantisek said:
    I guess it will be reference design for next 3 to 4 years and will be stuffed with newer updated internals when available like new Intel processors with support for 32 GB of RAM and others. The design will not change till some new breakthrough technology appears. Like thin batteries or OLED keyboard or something like that.
    Agreed...well said. May get the usual trickle-down effect with some features being included in the MacBook. Seems to be Apple's usual practice. If not the TouchBar, certainly the newer keyboard.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Mikeymike said:

wood1208 said:
    Yah. People complain about dongles (actually connection adapters; not "dongles"), Yet they have no problem with the fact that their laptop looks like a flattened spider with cords all over the left and right of their desk surface.
    For real! I started making a list of all the adapters I will need when my MBP shows up, and realized that since everything is connected to the built-in hub in my Thunderbolt Display, all I'll need is a tbolt 2 -> 3. What is up with these maniacs who don't use hubs?
    apple2cbb-15
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Mikeymike said:

wood1208 said:
    For real! I started making a shopping list of all the adapters I would need and stopped at one — a Thunderbolt 2 -> 3, because everything is plugged into the built-in hub on my Thunderbolt Display. Who are these maniacs that plug in multiple devices every time they sit down and are too dumb or busted to get a simple hub?
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Mikeymike said:

wood1208 said:
    For real! I started making a list of all the adapters I will need when my MBP shows up, and realized that since everything is connected to the built-in hub in my Thunderbolt Display, all I'll need is a tbolt 2 -> 3. What is up with these maniacs who don't use hubs?
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator

How was it a fluff article?  Did you even pay attention?  The video specifically says that you get a little less battery life with the new model watching videos and the efficiency of the new processors only pays off when doing very intensive work.  That's a balanced perspective that doesn't gloss over the issue.

And USB, FireWire, and Thunderbolt were never presented as the do-everything port that USB-C/Thunderbolt is.  I spent $9 on a pair of tiny USB-A-to-USB-C plugs in anticipation of my new MPB (arriving Tuesday!).  Perhaps I'll need a couple more over time.  Would I have appreciated having a couple in the box?  Of course, but then people would complain that they didn't include 4.  If this is really an issue, there's nothing stopping retailers from including them for free.

The video is our video. We didn't watch it. We made it.
    bb-15
  • Reply 37 of 64

tommis said:
    The real reason the Macbook Pro is so expensive has nothing to do with tech.  http://techwritr.com/2016/12/02/why-does-the-new-macbook-pro-costs-so-much/
    Sorry but that article really does not get to the bottom on the reasons why the new MBP costs so much more.
    Some commentters here have called this (on AI) a fluff piece. That linked article is a fluff piece. IT really does not contain the details of why there is a cost increase, just a few comments. I call it a content free article.

Then, how manty times to you have to link to it from one AI thread? Do you have some financial interest in the end point for the link?
    Please tell us so we can learn to avoid the site until it actually posts something worth reading.

Phew... I have to say that the new MBP is not perfect and I have voiced my concerns about it and the things missing from it. But reading a number of more real world reviews I find it more attractive. The big issue is that I'd have to go for the one with a 2TB SSD unless I can get some USB-C SSD's. My 1TB drive is 95% full with my 2016 photos let alone the other 100K+ in my Library.
    Now I just need to save 20 weeks pension to be able to afford a new 15incher.
    Tommis is the author of the article he/she linked to, and is spamming the board, so I'm sure there's financial interest. Feel free to report the post.
    bb-15
  • Reply 38 of 64

franktan said:
    Can you proofread the Entertainment section of your article? It reads as if you're comparing the 2015 MBP with the older model (also the 2015 MBP)? Huh???? ======= If you like to play games on your portable machine, the 2015 Macbook with the AMD 460 graphics is about 60% faster in the "Heaven" Unreal Engine benchmark, and under BootCamp can play some modern titles like "Battlefield 1" with medium-to-high setting at a constant 60FPS —which is something the older model could never do. =======
    Typo, fixed, thanks.
  • Reply 39 of 64

My only editorial suggestion about this great video is: change the byline from 'AppleInsider Staff' to the dude's real name.  Nice job.
    Group effort.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 64

The video is our video. We didn't watch it. We made it.

Hey don't blame me, blame disneylandman!