Apple 'iPhone 7s' rumored to retain iPhone 7 design, debut without wireless charging

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Lord help Apple if this is true. 
  • Reply 22 of 47
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    zroger73 said:
    mtbnut said:
    Well, looks like I'll be keeping my iPhone 6 yet another year...
    Likewise. I have no current plans to get rid of my two year-old iP6 given that it still works perfectly. The improvements in the 6S and 7 were tempting at first, but it's funny how I can't even recall most of the improvements off hand without looking at this point. I'm waiting for wireless charging.
    Exactly. I know Apple doesn't like to get hung up on the tech specs race; however, if they're selling their products on emotional attachment and how one "feels" about their products, then they're really doing us a disservice by showing everyone a lack of "desire" to move the needle ahead. 

One often hears from Apple devotees that the evolution of the iPhone is one that has been going on since the original iPhone, that they're eventually going to arrive at a design nirvana, where nothing more should be done to what they claim is the Perfect Design. Then it's funny how the antithesis of that argument is used against competitors (Samsung) in patent trials in which Samsung claims their rounded corners and swipe-to-unlock features were organically arrived at as being the logical conclusion to obvious design elements.

Apple wants to have it both ways: We're keeping the same design because we've found it's the near-perfect design. BUT, if our competitors arrive at the same conclusion (which they can't because, well, they're not us!), then they're infringing.  
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 23 of 47
    swedevb said:
    Take it from someone who upgraded from the iphone6 to the 7, don't waste your money.  I needed the added space, but otherwise it's the same phone for an extra $700.  And the provided dongle only allows you to use the basic features of your existing headphones.  Had I known, I would have upgraded to the 6S vice 7.
    I upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 7 and while it doesn't feel like a big upgrade I'm glad I got it. I really like the feel of the new home button, the improved speakers, the haptic feedback, and the extra speed. I got the Jet Black version so it'd feel more different from the Space Grey iPhone 6 I had (the matte black was too similar for an otherwise identically shaped phone). The screen is also more uniform in colour although that may not have anything to do with the 7 vs 6.

It also supports more LTE bands—in particular the new band T-Mobile has been rolling out—so that might benefit me when I travel but in my home area I haven't notice a difference yet.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    mtbnut said:
    zroger73 said:
    mtbnut said:
    Likewise. I have no current plans to get rid of my two year-old iP6 given that it still works perfectly. The improvements in the 6S and 7 were tempting at first, but it's funny how I can't even recall most of the improvements off hand without looking at this point. I'm waiting for wireless charging.
    Exactly. I know Apple doesn't like to get hung up on the tech specs race; however, if they're selling their products on emotional attachment and how one "feels" about their products, then they're really doing us a disservice by showing everyone a lack of "desire" to move the needle ahead. 

One often hears from Apple devotees that the evolution of the iPhone is one that has been going on since the original iPhone, that they're eventually going to arrive at a design nirvana, where nothing more should be done to what they claim is the Perfect Design. Then it's funny how the antithesis of that argument is used against competitors (Samsung) in patent trials in which Samsung claims their rounded corners and swipe-to-unlock features were organically arrived at as being the logical conclusion to obvious design elements.

Apple wants to have it both ways: We're keeping the same design because we've found it's the near-perfect design. BUT, if our competitors arrive at the same conclusion (which they can't because, well, they're not us!), then they're infringing.  
    if you arrive at the design first, through a great deal of hard work, you deserve to reap the benefits of that work (for a limited amount of time). If you arrive at the design later, by seeing what your smarter competitors did and then copying them, it's just not the same. There's little incentive to invest the time and money in research and development if your competitors can just wait to see what you come up with, copy it, then use the money they saved on R&D to advertise more than you, etc. Innovation would be a losing game, especially given how quickly copycat products can be brought to market these days. 

Samsung, Motorola, RIM, Nokia and many others had years and years to come up with the "inevitable" designs before Apple entered the race. 

I think the only reason that Apple's designs have seemed so inevitable in recent years is that so few other companies are coming up with anything else worthwhile. Remember how many tablet computers and smartphones existed before the iPad and iPhone? The plastic keyboard phone might still be the cutting edge, and tablets might have never taken off at all, if not for Apple's vision. 
    apple jockeyradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 47
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Couldn't we at least have a few months without the constant "OMG, Apple can't innovate, worst iPhone upgrade ever!" whining?

So we have one rumour that another rumour may not be true. Then in a month or so, a third rumour that the second rumour isn't true either will collide with a fourth rumour that has nothing to do with the first three rumours, but will get thrown into the mix just for the hell of it.

And then Samsung will release their new phone which will look surprisingly similar to the iPhone 7, but they'll be pushing how it has something that has been rumoured not to be on the new iPhone. (And it probably won't have a headphone jack, either, but never mind.)

As I said earlier, speculation is OK, but making dramatic definite statements as to the failure or otherwise of a product that hasn't been announced yet (and won't be for 9 months) is being ridiculous.

apple jockeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 47
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Sorry but is it "forthcoming" or "due in the normal cycle"?

Just seem strange to say forthcoming for a product that is not released or even feature lock if this rumour is to believed. Not to mention it's 9 1/2 months away. Talk about wishing your life away.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    tzterritzterri Posts: 110member
    mtbnut said:
    I went from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 7 after my 6 got wet. I didn't expect it to be all that better other than finally water resistant but it is a huge improvement in battery, camera, 3D touch, and is faster.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 47
    I would be interested to know if there is some correlation between these 'rumours' and any shifts in APPL stock especially wrt the covering of any shorted position.
    As we all know, fake news is all the rage at the moment. What is to stop the seeding of fake rumours in order to manipulate the stock price of a company?
    AFAIK, nothing at all.

We get regular pronouncements from Kuo and pals. how much do these shift the stock price?
    Saying that the next iPhone won't have wireless charging (not a priority for me in anyway shape or form btw) could cause a stock price drop because of what has gone before to set expectations.

This could be in interesting bit of research to undertake.

• Reply 29 of 47
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Wireless charging is a waste of energy and thus Earth Aggression. Use wired whatever whenever possible.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 47
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Red as in (PRODUCT)RED? That'd be a grand gesture from Apple.

So, we'll have two new iPhone colours next year: Jet Red & Jet White.

>:x

• Reply 31 of 47
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So...  Apple is keeping the same basic form for 6, 6S, 7 and now 7S ?

Good for you Apple!  I lived through the automakers releasing the same old car with a new paint job for most of my life.  Disgusting.   I give Apple credit for keeping what works instead of changing a color or form simply so they can proclaim:  "NEW AND IMPROVED".
    ...  That is showing respect for their product and their customers....
    ...........  Another reason to stick with Apple
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 47
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    I would be interested to know if there is some correlation between these 'rumours' and any shifts in APPL stock especially wrt the covering of any shorted position.
    As we all know, fake news is all the rage at the moment. What is to stop the seeding of fake rumours in order to manipulate the stock price of a company?
    AFAIK, nothing at all.

We get regular pronouncements from Kuo and pals. how much do these shift the stock price?
    Saying that the next iPhone won't have wireless charging (not a priority for me in anyway shape or form btw) could cause a stock price drop because of what has gone before to set expectations.

This could be in interesting bit of research to undertake.

There are managed funds that do exactly this sort of sentiment trading based on the movements in stock price from so called news like this. 

So your research could pay off.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sog35 said:
    If we don't get a redesigned iPhone next year............

Having the same shell design for FOUR FRIKEN YEARS.

I'm speechless.
    We can only hope this is true.
    mr oStrangeDaysapple jockeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 47
    I think the rumours for a complete resdesign were wishful thinking. It makes more sense to keep the design for at least 2 years, mostly because of accessory makers. 
    6 and 7 accessories are mostly interchangeable.
    Like the zillion cases that are not interchangeable because of the different camera designs?
  • Reply 35 of 47
    When you run out of ideas..

iPhone 7 is essentially an iPhone 6sS.

Perhaps Apple will realease a new book next year as well and call it "Designed by Apple in California S"
    Wow so this would be called a nay-sayer? There are several good ideas that went into the newer iPhones and there's no different manufacturer introducing any compelling features BEFORE apple does make them a standard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 47
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    I wont be surprised if the new SE is an improved version of the 7.

On the other hand, Apple is a victim of its own success. Unlike every other phone manufacturer that can use bleeding edge tech because they only make or sell a few million of their top of the line phones every year, Apple needs to make and sell about 100 million? Which means any technology that cannot be manufactured reliably in volume will not make it into the next iPhone.

As mature as OLED is, having been in phones from other manufacturers for years, the display factories still cannot provide enough for Apple's needs. Ceramic case? Uh... Remember the sapphire crystal fiasco? How did that work out for Apple by trying to put in something with low yield into their devices?

Unless Apple launches a new more expensive line in limited numbers it will never work. Even then, there are enough fans out there to still cause a huge shortage.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    I think the rumours for a complete resdesign were wishful thinking. It makes more sense to keep the design for at least 2 years, mostly because of accessory makers. 
    Pretty sure Apple doesn't base it's product designs around third-party accessory makers. That could be the cart before the horse.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 47
    When you run out of ideas..

iPhone 7 is essentially an iPhone 6sS.

Perhaps Apple will realease a new book next year as well and call it "Designed by Apple in California S"
    When you need to troll Apple sites..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 47
    They can at least use the same design but apply some special coating to make it even more slippery. That would be sufficient for me /s. 
    Seriously, if they used the iPhone 4/5/SE design, that's a classic, they could have used that as many years are they wanted, it's great.
    Not this 6/6s/7 design. If you get so anal about the finish, then make it more practical to use without a case. find a way for the edges to have more "friction/abrasion/whatever/rubber grip/non-rounded metal edge" so you don't drop the damn thing. Other than that, not make the glass protrude out, and you have yourself a classic design.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    jgreg728 said:
    Lord help Apple if this is true. 
    They seem to be managing OK so far, despite what all the armchair executives have to say on rumor sites.
    watto_cobracornchip