Apple's Tim Cook among tech executives meeting with Donald Trump on Wednesday - report

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 52
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 4,710member
    "Oracle CEO Safra Catz. Catz confirmed his attendance in a statement."

    Safra Catz is a woman.
    How could anyone possibly get this wrong?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 4,710member

    apple ][ said:
    Don't underestimate the Donald!

    2017 just might be the year that overseas cash can be returned to the USA! And I don't just mean Apple, but for a whole lot of companies.

    Trump is putting into place extremely friendly business measures, such as lower tax rates and less, business killing regulations!

    Well, he's already backing down on building the Mexican Wall, and prosecuting Hilary Clinton, so it'll be interesting to see what promises are left in place by the time he takes office. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Don't you know? Not supposed to talk about politics! Let's get back to tech. As such I will be working on an Ai to exterminate politics! If you know anything about machine learning, you can figure the funny. Heh heh heh.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Apple CEO Tim Cook will be among several high-profile tech executives attending a summit with U.S. President-Elect Donald Trump on Wednesday, taking place at Trump Tower in New York City, according to a report.

    Cut for brevity.--

    Invitations were allegedly sent out by Trump's chief of staff, Reince Preibus, as well as investor and supporter Peter Thiel, and Trump's advisor and son-in-law, Jared Kushner. Thiel and others on Trump's team are said to have had a hard time persuading tech executives to attend, given Trump's regular attacks against them during his presidential campaign.

    Trump has taken opposing stances on issues like encryption, immigration, and sometimes social issues. With Apple, he has berated the company for not doing more manufacturing in the U.S., and once called on people to boycott Apple after it refused to write software allowing the FBI to bypass encryption on the iPhone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook.

    The Re/code sources suggested that despite their reluctance, some tech executives may have had little choice but to go to the summit, since they've participated in such things before. Nevertheless, others aren't going, whether they're intentionally avoiding Trump or or simply received their invitations too late -- some are only said to have been sent out late last week.

    "I think my invite got lost in the mail," an anonymous executive claimed. "Of course, this kind of thing will never happen again as of January."
    Unfortunately the 'p' word gets used as a descriptor for something more profound that is taking place on a personal, business and national level. As alluded to in the story.

    This is current events in the tech world, and worth discussing in appropriate ways and times.

    If I need more direction on this, within this forum I welcome it.

    And I recognize the sarcasm in the previous comment.  :)




  • Reply 25 of 52
    trydtryd Posts: 135member
    Note to Tim: Remember to not trust one word of what Trump says. He will change his mind and accuse you of lying if you quote what he said just 10 minutes ago.
    edited December 2016 jeffharrisgoodbyeranchdasanman69tallest skilbadmonk
  • Reply 26 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,684member
    Rayz2016 said:

    apple ][ said:
    Don't underestimate the Donald!

    2017 just might be the year that overseas cash can be returned to the USA! And I don't just mean Apple, but for a whole lot of companies.

    Trump is putting into place extremely friendly business measures, such as lower tax rates and less, business killing regulations!

    Well, he's already backing down on building the Mexican Wall, and prosecuting Hilary Clinton, so it'll be interesting to see what promises are left in place by the time he takes office. 
    We'll see.

    It's not Trump's job to personally go after Clinton, and if she has committed any crimes, then the FBI and others should keep doing their jobs and go after her, if they think there's a case. There are other agencies that can still pursue her, and they have a duty to, even if Trump doesn't. Clinton is sick, old and irrelevant now, and I think that there's more important things on the agenda, now that victory has been had.

    As for the wall, I think that it'll happen still. Trump hasn't even started at his new job yet.

    The majority of the media reporting on him are still lying, just like they have been doing for the past many years. They still don't have a clue, they got everything completely wrong about Trump during the campaign, and the same people haven't automatically turned into truth tellers overnight. They're still lying, but that's what can be expected from 
    the purveyors of fake news.

    The wall will be big, it will be beautiful and it will be effective.
    edited December 2016 gtr
  • Reply 27 of 52
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,789member
    welshdog said:

    Much of what they did over the last 8 years has directly led to the rise of someone like Trump.

    Yeah, and they said Ted Cruz was 'Lucifer in the flesh'... Guess again!


    edited December 2016
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Why do I feel Trump is just going to insult all of them again and in person. I think Tim should not attend - At personal level and as company level! I am surprised Jack Dorsey isn't on the invite list - The PEOTUS only knows about Twitter as technology company :-) 

    What do you think Donald is going to learn from these industry leaders - Don't forget Donald knows everything? He knows how to build the wall, find and eliminate ISIS. everything /s

    spice-boy
  • Reply 29 of 52
    tryd said:
    Note to Tim: Remember to not trust one word of what Trump says. He will change his mind and accuse you of lying if you quote what he said just 10 minutes ago.
    WRONG
    tallest skil
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Rayz2016 said:

    apple ][ said:
    Don't underestimate the Donald!

    2017 just might be the year that overseas cash can be returned to the USA! And I don't just mean Apple, but for a whole lot of companies.

    Trump is putting into place extremely friendly business measures, such as lower tax rates and less, business killing regulations!

    Well, he's already backing down on building the Mexican Wall, and prosecuting Hilary Clinton, so it'll be interesting to see what promises are left in place by the time he takes office. 
    And emptying the swamp...I think he's overflowed the swap so far. Nothing will change in the end. Typical politician BS...said exactly what he needed in order to get elected, although thats still up for debate. 
    spice-boytallest skil
  • Reply 31 of 52
    dewmedewme Posts: 2,121member
    I would like to see this meeting turn into an Hour of Code event. Seriously. Otherwise at least 70% of what gets said will be pure fiction. 
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    So even tech billionaires have to go kiss the ring. Sigh.
    Meeting with someone whose policies you dislike in no way means you're rolling over for this person. Do you really want Cook and others to treat the next POTUS the way that Mitch McConnell and the other Obstructionists treated Obama? Despite all the wonderful things Obama was able to accomplish to turn this country around he was still hamstrung by people who think the way you do by not wanting any middle ground or communication to be had. That's simply not the right way to proceed.
    "Not the right way to proceed"? That is a point of view. Many people, both on the Left and the Right, would argue that the 'wrong' way to proceed is precisely what made Obama so ineffectual (although, I'll admit, he was a consequential President), and led to the decimation of the Democrats by the Republicans in this election season. 

    I think that in-your-faceness as a political strategy is still vastly underrated by the Democrats. 
    You really think that Obama's unwavering desire and attempt to work with others in a democratic republic is really the "wrong way to proceed? That the US is better off when we let fake news, unfounded accusations, FUD, and demagoguery control the nation? That may have won EC votes this time around but long-term that has repeatedly shown not to work.
    Er... no. Your reference to "not the right way to proceed" (i.e., the wrong way to proceed) was in relation to Republicans, no? I was simply pointing out that the Repulicans' strategy of what you called "not the right way to proceed" did prove quite successful.

    Hope that clarifies. 
  • Reply 33 of 52

    welshdog said:
    Many people, both on the Left and the Right, would argue that the 'wrong' way to proceed is precisely what made Obama so ineffectual (although, I'll admit, he was a consequential President), and led to the decimation of the Democrats by the Republicans in this election season.
    I think any mention of Obama's failures also must mention the meeting of Republican leaders at the DC Caucus Room restaurant on inauguration day 2008 to plan their strategy to make Obama a one-term president and to oppose and block him and all Democrats at every turn.  You just can't ignore that.  They didn't prevent his second term  but they undeniably blocked everything they possibly could in a mindless, puerile and wholly un-american way.  Much of what they did over the last 8 years has directly led to the rise of someone like Trump.

    That is exactly what I was implying. That it was, from their viewpoint, a successful strategy (even though he lasted eight, not four, years). 
  • Reply 34 of 52
    flaneur said:
    Tim Cook could hardly pass up a chance of trying to educate this naïf. 

    "Mr. Trump, America literally gave up on electronics manufacturing 40 years ago. It wasn't the unions, it wasn't low wages in Asia, it was America's lack of respect for good, efficient design. We lost solid-state radio, television, VCR, camcorder, digital camera and computer manufacturing to Japan, Taiwan, Korea and China. That's where the center of gravity has been for two generations. That's the structure in the galaxy of our technology. You can't import a galaxy to our shores. About the only thing we can make here are the cardboard boxes.

    "But we can do the design, the manufacturing and marketing logistics, and the software. Apple has shown that no one else in the world can do that better than we can. That's why we are the most valuable company, yet we have no manufacturing to speak of, only partners. And if we get a cold, you will see the rest of the economy get pneumonia. 

    "Don't mess with our system. It's the best in the world, the most valuable. And we're just getting started."
    Right. You know that Donald Trump is very intelligent. He understands what makes business happen better than any other president in our history. I know some of you soft skins can't handle his candid comments but the fact is we stand to gain a lot from having him at the helm. If there is some way to improve the US position in getting some of the manufacturing back here (yes we need it) then maybe the tech companies are willing to try harder to make this happen if they can get some things to benefit their businesses. At the end of the day if it is good for business it is good for jobs and the people. Yes CEO's are going to make more money but so will the average American.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,984member
    birko said:
    tryd said:
    Note to Tim: Remember to not trust one word of what Trump says. He will change his mind and accuse you of lying if you quote what he said just 10 minutes ago.
    WRONG
    Try again.
    trydfractallest skil
  • Reply 36 of 52
    apple ][ said:
    Don't underestimate the Donald!

    2017 just might be the year that overseas cash can be returned to the USA! And I don't just mean Apple, but for a whole lot of companies.

    Trump is putting into place extremely friendly business measures, such as lower tax rates and less, business killing regulations!

    Since Trump has never manufactured anything on these shores it is highly unlikely he has a clue to what is involved. Returning stockpiles of corporate cash (like Apple's) will only happen if there is another tax holiday for those corporations, as there was in 2004 which will not benefit our country. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203633104576623771022129888

    There is absolutely nothing Trump or Congress can do to keep manufacturing jobs in the US. Instead of sword rattling our incoming government should encourage higher education for all by making college affordable. A skilled and education workforce is our future, low wage manufacturing jobs is our past. Large companies which remain in the US will be heading to near total automated systems so if you work for one of those companies you will need to be skilled and have an education geared to that field. 

    It will be a frustrating meeting for these tech leaders as Donald will try to bully them into something that is impossible and will betray our countries future. 


    radster360
  • Reply 37 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,175member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    So even tech billionaires have to go kiss the ring. Sigh.
    Meeting with someone whose policies you dislike in no way means you're rolling over for this person. Do you really want Cook and others to treat the next POTUS the way that Mitch McConnell and the other Obstructionists treated Obama? Despite all the wonderful things Obama was able to accomplish to turn this country around he was still hamstrung by people who think the way you do by not wanting any middle ground or communication to be had. That's simply not the right way to proceed.
    "Not the right way to proceed"? That is a point of view. Many people, both on the Left and the Right, would argue that the 'wrong' way to proceed is precisely what made Obama so ineffectual (although, I'll admit, he was a consequential President), and led to the decimation of the Democrats by the Republicans in this election season. 

    I think that in-your-faceness as a political strategy is still vastly underrated by the Democrats. 
    You really think that Obama's unwavering desire and attempt to work with others in a democratic republic is really the "wrong way to proceed? That the US is better off when we let fake news, unfounded accusations, FUD, and demagoguery control the nation? That may have won EC votes this time around but long-term that has repeatedly shown not to work.
    Er... no. Your reference to "not the right way to proceed" (i.e., the wrong way to proceed) was in relation to Republicans, no? I was simply pointing out that the Repulicans' strategy of what you called "not the right way to proceed" did prove quite successful.

    Hope that clarifies. 
    1) That's like saying that Hitler was quite successful simply because he was elected into office.

    2) The Republicans have never been so divided as they are now, and what they created bellowing the fires of hate of _the negroid_ 8 years ago has gotten away from them. Trump being president elect is not what the Republicans wanted. This is arsonist that started a forest fire and now they're backtracking by saying it's good for keeping warm.

    Fortunately, Trump's backpedaled on pretty much everything he said he'd do, so at least that's a good thing
    spice-boydasanman69tallest skilsingularity
  • Reply 38 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,175member
    spice-boy said:
    apple ][ said:
    Don't underestimate the Donald!

    2017 just might be the year that overseas cash can be returned to the USA! And I don't just mean Apple, but for a whole lot of companies.

    Trump is putting into place extremely friendly business measures, such as lower tax rates and less, business killing regulations!

    Since Trump has never manufactured anything on these shores it is highly unlikely he has a clue to what is involved. Returning stockpiles of corporate cash (like Apple's) will only happen if there is another tax holiday for those corporations, as there was in 2004 which will not benefit our country. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203633104576623771022129888

    There is absolutely nothing Trump or Congress can do to keep manufacturing jobs in the US. Instead of sword rattling our incoming government should encourage higher education for all by making college affordable. A skilled and education workforce is our future, low wage manufacturing jobs is our past. Large companies which remain in the US will be heading to near total automated systems so if you work for one of those companies you will need to be skilled and have an education geared to that field. 

    It will be a frustrating meeting for these tech leaders as Donald will try to bully them into something that is impossible and will betray our countries future. 
    Except for Marla Maples, he's even outsourced to Eastern Europe the wombs for his children.
    edited December 2016 spice-boysuddenly newtonradster360dasanman69
  • Reply 39 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,511member
    flaneur said:
    Tim Cook could hardly pass up a chance of trying to educate this naïf. 

    "Mr. Trump, America literally gave up on electronics manufacturing 40 years ago. It wasn't the unions, it wasn't low wages in Asia, it was America's lack of respect for good, efficient design. We lost solid-state radio, television, VCR, camcorder, digital camera and computer manufacturing to Japan, Taiwan, Korea and China. That's where the center of gravity has been for two generations. That's the structure in the galaxy of our technology. You can't import a galaxy to our shores. About the only thing we can make here are the cardboard boxes.

    "But we can do the design, the manufacturing and marketing logistics, and the software. Apple has shown that no one else in the world can do that better than we can. That's why we are the most valuable company, yet we have no manufacturing to speak of, only partners. And if we get a cold, you will see the rest of the economy get pneumonia. 

    "Don't mess with our system. It's the best in the world, the most valuable. And we're just getting started."
    Right. You know that Donald Trump is very intelligent. He understands what makes business happen better than any other president in our history. I know some of you soft skins can't handle his candid comments but the fact is we stand to gain a lot from having him at the helm. If there is some way to improve the US position in getting some of the manufacturing back here (yes we need it) then maybe the tech companies are willing to try harder to make this happen if they can get some things to benefit their businesses. At the end of the day if it is good for business it is good for jobs and the people. Yes CEO's are going to make more money but so will the average American.
    No, I know that Donald Trump is cunning, as in maliciously clever, but I do not know that he is cerebrally intelligent at all. I know that he isn't educated, nor does he read (probably he can't), and his imagination is that of a selfish adolescent. 

    The bull-headed, ignorant success in business is a cliché in life, literature and the movies, for a good reason. It helps not to have a heart, which comes with intelligence.
    Solispice-boysingularity
  • Reply 40 of 52
    apple ][ said:
    Don't underestimate the Donald!

    2017 just might be the year that overseas cash can be returned to the USA! And I don't just mean Apple, but for a whole lot of companies.

    Trump is putting into place extremely friendly business measures, such as lower tax rates and less, business killing regulations!

    Yeah just what we need for companies who already pay little to no taxes and make Billions in profits, give them even more tax breaks.  

    We need to be doing the exact opposite of everything this orange clown wants to do.
    spice-boydasanman69singularity
Sign In or Register to comment.