Class-action suit demands Apple add lock-out system to iPhone to prevent texting while dri...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The personal responsibility argument is fine when the responsibility only extends to ones person. When the responsibility encompasses public safety the reliance on personal responsibility is ridiculous. People aren't responsible, and you're putting other people in danger by using such a facile argument.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 82 of 85
    I remain confused on this case.  How does Apple distinguish between a passesnger and a driver?

in my experience, Apple CarPlay precludes the use of text, etc while driving although it will speak back content of text messages and accept voice and voice to text messages.  

The suit would be better if it required Auto maufacturers to require CarPlay installed as well as wireless CarPlay connections. This would ensure drivers have access to whatever options exist in a safe and convenient manner including maps, telephone calls, etc.

There might be guidelines regarding CarPlay safety features that would extend to manufactures offering or Android devices as well. 
  • Reply 83 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gprovida said:
    I remain confused on this case.  How does Apple distinguish between a passesnger and a driver?

in my experience, Apple CarPlay precludes the use of text, etc while driving although it will speak back content of text messages and accept voice and voice to text messages.  

The suit would be better if it required Auto maufacturers to require CarPlay installed as well as wireless CarPlay connections. This would ensure drivers have access to whatever options exist in a safe and convenient manner including maps, telephone calls, etc.

There might be guidelines regarding CarPlay safety features that would extend to manufactures offering or Android devices as well. 
    If CarPlay didn't require a manufacturer to add the specific feature to their vehicles but instead could be used as a standalone app with any Bluetooth-equipped vehicle similar to the way Android Auto works then that would answer much of of the issue. If works on either your phones display or the car display if it has one. Manufacturer compatibility isn't a requirement.  https://blog.google/products/android/android-auto-available-in-every-car/

Android Auto setup to autostart when the car does won't let you use text input, watch videos, play a game, or display anything in search results that could distract a driver. If it can't be done with voice actions it just won't allow it, and if an app relies on touch input Android Auto won't let you use it. That's pretty much the same safety features as CarPlay without needing it built into the car, right? A passenger can still use the big onscreen music/phone/nav buttons too if they want, which helps a little with that part of that problem.  The phone is hands-off and eyes can stay on the road while a passenger can play with the music, or search up restaurants or stores in the area like my wife insists on doing :/

I'd expect Apple is working on doing just that, eliminating the Carplay compatibility built-in requirement and allowing a whole lot more drivers to take advantage of the touch-avoiding safety features that Apple offers on your iPhone.

Still requires at least a bluetooth connection tho if you're going to have voice announcements so many older vehicles and their drivers are still left out which leaves a whole lotta them out there with heads down looking at their phone at 25-80mph. Or sitting at the light long after it turned green. For those without bluetooth it just needs to be disabled period. They'll survive without communications while driving. We all did before smartphones. And the rest of us will survive better without those selfish drivers texting while driving. 

edited February 2017
  • Reply 84 of 85
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I've got a better idea. If someone is caught (maybe work on the tech there) texting and driving (or otherwise fiddling in a sufficiently distracted manner), the car goes away and gets auctioned off to charity. Same for drunk driving. I'll bet that would have some corrective impact.