Head to head: Comparing AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile & Verizon's 'unlimited' wireless plans for ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jvmb said:
    I understand that you don't post special offers, but for someone decided today it would be good to have the current offers. 
    Here's the problem with that: This week alone, not only have the terms for every single carrier changed at least a little, but the "special deals" for all carriers have also changed. Also, other than a "free" phone, pricing drops are generally temporary.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Joe212917Joe212917 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Does Verizon's previous unlimited plan have the 22GB full speed data cap as well?
  • Reply 23 of 43
    maclvr03 said:
    I'm on AT&T and have 10gb a month but during a promo you got15gb with rollover so usually I have around 25gb to use every month which I rarely go above 6gb. I can also use a hotspot for my iPad which isn't available with this new "unlimited plan?"
    Nope. Not allowed.
    I never understood this. I mean you're paying for the data but can't use it the way you want. All about that $$
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 43
    sog35 said:
    T-mobile's coverage is getting better every year.

My current plan is 2 lines, Unlimited LTE for $99.  Unfortunately T-mobile does not offer this plan anymore but I'm grandfathered in
    Why does everyone need unlimited LTE? In effect my family plan (everyone has 2.5GB) is effectively unlimited due to all the binge free-rated services (most music, audible, video, etc). Rarely do any of my 10 lines go over (I pay a bit extra for my line for 4.5GB) - and then I don't pay overage.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    They really shouldn't be allowed to use the term "unlimited" with these plans. If you hit a data cap and your experience is changed, either throttled, or put at the back of the queue or whatever, that's literally "limited." Those changes in your usage are limitations. By definition. If you place limitations on something it cannot be "unlimited."

My mind is racing with all sorts of metaphorical examples of placing limitations on deals and then calling them "unlimited," but it's just so painfully obvious that they're using "alternative facts" to describe these data plans as "unlimited," that it's just not necessary. I hope somebody files a class action lawsuit against these carriers and that they lose in a big way. 
  • Reply 26 of 43
    I'd love to see a comparison of the low-data plans. I'm in range of wifi most of the time, don't travel for my job much, and live in an area where the four providers have good coverage, so for our family, price is the biggest factor. 
  • Reply 27 of 43
    I don't understand why throttling has to be cut so far down to 128 kbit per second. That is usable speed.

Why not cut it to like 1 Mbps? At least let it be usable for the rest of the billing cycle. LTE is typically 30-40 Mbps unthrottled in most areas. This just seems unnecessarily extreme and borders on illegal. At a certain point, it is too slow to be usable, and therefore indistinguishable from cutting you off entirely.

"Unlimited" though.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    In an update on Feb. 27, AT&T is including 10GB of Mobile Hotspot data per month in total across all lines at full speed with Unlimited Plus. Data consumed after the 10GB is cut back to 128 kbit per second. 
    This is not actually true. According to AT&T's website today: "Tethering and Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet.). Except for those products, all tethering data usage, including sponsored data if tethered, will be impacted and will not be fully functional."

And like the other carriers, AT&T includes calling/texting from/to the US, Canada, and Mexico, as well as unlimited mobile data from all three countries, and free text/pictures messages to over 120 countries. 
  • Reply 29 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I find the issue of throttling if you exceed 22GB (or whatever the particular # is) if the network is congested kinda irrelevant. Fact is, we've all experienced drops in service level when the network is congested in any given area, regardless.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    AppleZulu said:
    They really shouldn't be allowed to use the term "unlimited" with these plans. If you hit a data cap and your experience is changed, either throttled, or put at the back of the queue or whatever, that's literally "limited." Those changes in your usage are limitations. By definition. If you place limitations on something it cannot be "unlimited."

My mind is racing with all sorts of metaphorical examples of placing limitations on deals and then calling them "unlimited," but it's just so painfully obvious that they're using "alternative facts" to describe these data plans as "unlimited," that it's just not necessary. I hope somebody files a class action lawsuit against these carriers and that they lose in a big way. 
    The amount of data can be unlimited. Nobody has promised you'll get that data at full speed all the time.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    mike1 said:
    AppleZulu said:

The amount of data can be unlimited. Nobody has promised you'll get that data at full speed all the time.
    And today the phone companies are very up-front about the potential for throttling.  It's actually featured in fairly large font in the body of the AT&T ad for example.  Give credit where credit is due.  This isn't deceptive.
  • Reply 32 of 43

I have some assumptions that may or may not be still correct, perhaps someone knows the answers off the top of their head:

1. With T-Mobile you aren't locked into a long-term contract, period.  If you switch to T-Mobile today, you can switch to another company next month with no penalty (unless you bought a phone through them, but you just have to pay the balance).

2. All iPhones since the iPhone 6 can switch between all the major carriers (or are their still issues moving between AT&T and Verizon, for example?).

3. When talking on a Verizon-connected phone you can't also access the Internet (except via WiFi).

• Reply 33 of 43
    wittness said:
    In an update on Feb. 27, AT&T is including 10GB of Mobile Hotspot data per month in total across all lines at full speed with Unlimited Plus. Data consumed after the 10GB is cut back to 128 kbit per second. 
    This is not actually true. According to AT&T's website today: "Tethering and Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet.). Except for those products, all tethering data usage, including sponsored data if tethered, will be impacted and will not be fully functional."

And like the other carriers, AT&T includes calling/texting from/to the US, Canada, and Mexico, as well as unlimited mobile data from all three countries, and free text/pictures messages to over 120 countries. 
    Connected Cars is the only out. Hot Spots are wi-fi, and wireless home phone and Internet is a related but not identical service at significant extra cost. That's a pretty fine hair you're splitting for saying that it's not actually true.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 34 of 43
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    AppleZulu said:
    It is the data that is unlimited, not the speed. Most people are never affected. You can blame the users who are abusing the bandwidth for this stipulation. Same with the hotspot cap. It is possible to download a lot more data, and much more quickly with computers using your device as a mobile hotspot than you can with just a mobile device.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Not sure where you're seeing this info, but it is wrong:
    From AT&T's site directly: "Tethering and Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle" 

Also this: "10 devices per plan. UNLIMITED DATA: For use in the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (the "Domestic Coverage Area" or "DCA"). Data Restrictions: After 22GB of any data usage on a line in a bill cycle, AT&T may slow the data on that line during periods of network congestion for the remainder of that cycle." 

In short, 10gb Hotspot is 10gb PER LINE per month, and high speed data is also 22gb PER LINE per month, after which AT&T reserves the right to throttle for both.

• Reply 36 of 43
    From where are you getting that T-Mobile's 10GB tethering is split between all lines on the account? I can't find anything that states that. Everything I've found implies that it's 10GB per line.

EDIT: Actually, I can't find anything stating that Verizon's is not 10GB per line as well. I've seen multiple places claiming it is 10GB per line as well. Where are you sourcing these claims from?
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 37 of 43
    payeco said:
    From where are you getting that T-Mobile's 10GB tethering is split between all lines on the account? I can't find anything that states that. Everything I've found implies that it's 10GB per line.

EDIT: Actually, I can't find anything stating that Verizon's is not 10GB per line as well. I've seen multiple places claiming it is 10GB per line as well. Where are you sourcing these claims from?
    T-Mobile's and Verizon's PR.
  • Reply 38 of 43

macwise said:
    Not sure where you're seeing this info, but it is wrong:
    From AT&T's site directly: "Tethering and Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle" 

Also this: "10 devices per plan. UNLIMITED DATA: For use in the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (the "Domestic Coverage Area" or "DCA"). Data Restrictions: After 22GB of any data usage on a line in a bill cycle, AT&T may slow the data on that line during periods of network congestion for the remainder of that cycle." 

In short, 10gb Hotspot is 10gb PER LINE per month, and high speed data is also 22gb PER LINE per month, after which AT&T reserves the right to throttle for both.

That's new since this morning's PR. I'll fix that now.

Such are the perils of an article like this when the situation changes sometimes hourly.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 39 of 43
    wittness said:

Is this true for every plan on AT&T? I was just looking at this today and it said $10 a day for 120 countries. 
  • Reply 40 of 43
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    payeco said:

T-Mobile's and Verizon's PR.
    Where? I've looked at their press releases and I don't see that.

EDIT: From USA Today, where they say Verizon's hotspot is 10GB per line, not per account: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2017/02/15/here-catches-verizons-unlimited-data-plan/97959130/
    edited February 2017