SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:

cali said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    "Chase Pay"

this is getting ridiculous. 
    I'm fine with that, so long as they all follow suit with the same backend system popularized by Apple Pay, I'm perfectly happy with Android Pay, Samsung Pay, Chase Pay, Swatch Pay, Whitey Will Pay, etc.

My only concern is that we can eventually move from having to still carry our physical cards with us when a referential card number can used with a digital token to help protect us from potential theft.
    McDonalds Pay
    Microsoft Pay
    Pepsi Pay
    FaceBook Pay
    Wal Mart Pay(oops!)
    NFL Pay

I hope it stops. Imagine if they make us have separate apps for them all? Then it's the cluttered wallet all over again. 
    That's simple:   When CVS refused to accept ApplePay, I switched to Walgreens.   When my local grocery store refused to accept Apple Pay I switched to TraderJoes.   Aside from the convenience, accepting ApplePay demonstrates the store values its customers and their privacy  -- So, as a customer, I value that store.   But, now that I have an AppleWatch, the convenience is terrific too -- I don't have to reach for anything.
    There's no denying Apple Pay's convenient, but there is no tangental issue I've experienced at my grocery store. They allow you to go paperless by emailing you your receipt, but since an Apple Pay card number creates a unique 16-digit card number for each device you do need to input your email address for your iPhone and Apple Watch. Still, not a big deal, unless you're having a wonky issue with your iPhone where you're having to wipe the device, which you can't do before you disable iCloud which then kills Apple Pay for both devices. When you set it up again your financial institution gives you new 16-digit card numbers to use with Apple Pay which means I'll have re-enter my email address into their touchscreen device for paperless billing. While this scenario (which is real and real annoying as part of a larger bug with my iCloud account), it would naturally occur if I had to replace my phone for any reason, which typically means once a year.
    Well, Apple will slowly be integrating Fidelity cards to Apple Pay, which means that if YOU choose to give up privacy for this convenience, you'll be able to do so. The Card being linked to your account, they'll be able to track your purchases though not under which card they actually occured, only you can do that :-). Unless of course your using a store credit card... Then they'd have the whole info I guess if you can tolerate the high credit rate.
    Stores already have that ability without Apple's help. For example, I use Apple Pay at PetCo but I also have a loyalty card which I input using a phone number*. Same goes for Rite Aid and some other stores which I can't recall at the moment. Still, I would like to have a more unified system where I can use NFC to input my loyalty card number instead of a barcode on my keyring, manually going into a 3rd-party app, creating my own Pass in Wallet, or inputing my phone number into their touchpad.

The grocery store in my previous post offers no loyalty card, but even if they did I'm guessing they wouldn't be savvy enough to tie it an email address for a digital receipt (at least not right away) since their system is currently based on the card number used. To CVS' credit, they've had digital receipts for awhile now and those are tied to your loyalty card so when they finally offer Apple Pay there won't be any receipt issues when you re-add a card to a device (e.g.: deleted Find My iPhone), update a card (e.g.: your card expired and was replaced by the bank), use a different card (e.g.: new card offers better rebates at that type of store), use a different device (e.g.: Watch instead of iPhone), or get a new iPhone (e.g.: replace iPhone 6 with iPhone 8).**

* Pro Tip: Get yourself a Google Voice or some other free phone number so you're never giving out your cellphone (or landline) phone.
    ** Exhaustive examples used because GeorgeBMac didn't understand what I was talking about with a digital receipt being tied to the referential card number used with Apple Pay over your physical card number.
    edited March 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 42 of 52

flydog said:
    Soli said:

cali said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    "Chase Pay"

I'm fine with that, so long as they all follow suit with the same backend system popularized by Apple Pay, I'm perfectly happy with Android Pay, Samsung Pay, Chase Pay, Swatch Pay, Whitey Will Pay, etc.

My only concern is that we can eventually move from having to still carry our physical cards with us when a referential card number can used with a digital token to help protect us from potential theft.
    McDonalds Pay
    Microsoft Pay
    Pepsi Pay
    FaceBook Pay
    Wal Mart Pay(oops!)
    NFL Pay

I hope it stops. Imagine if they make us have separate apps for them all? Then it's the cluttered wallet all over again. 
    That's simple:   When CVS refused to accept ApplePay, I switched to Walgreens.   When my local grocery store refused to accept Apple Pay I switched to TraderJoes.   Aside from the convenience, accepting ApplePay demonstrates the store values its customers and their privacy  -- So, as a customer, I value that store.   But, now that I have an AppleWatch, the convenience is terrific too -- I don't have to reach for anything.
    There's no denying Apple Pay's convenient, but there is no tangental issue I've experienced at my grocery store. They allow you to go paperless by emailing you your receipt, but since an Apple Pay card number creates a unique 16-digit card number for each device you do need to input your email address for your iPhone and Apple Watch. Still, not a big deal, unless you're having a wonky issue with your iPhone where you're having to wipe the device, which you can't do before you disable iCloud which then kills Apple Pay for both devices. When you set it up again your financial institution gives you new 16-digit card numbers to use with Apple Pay which means I'll have re-enter my email address into their touchscreen device for paperless billing. While this scenario (which is real and real annoying as part of a larger bug with my iCloud account), it would naturally occur if I had to replace my phone for any reason, which typically means once a year.
    That's a retailer requirement (one that I've never come across), and has nothing to do with Apple Pay itself. 
    I'm not sure what you're referring to.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:

cali said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    "Chase Pay"

McDonalds Pay
    Microsoft Pay
    Pepsi Pay
    FaceBook Pay
    Wal Mart Pay(oops!)
    NFL Pay

Well, Apple will slowly be integrating Fidelity cards to Apple Pay, which means that if YOU choose to give up privacy for this convenience, you'll be able to do so. The Card being linked to your account, they'll be able to track your purchases though not under which card they actually occured, only you can do that :-). Unless of course your using a store credit card... Then they'd have the whole info I guess if you can tolerate the high credit rate.
    Stores already have that ability without Apple's help. For example, I use Apple Pay at PetCo but I also have a loyalty card which I input using a phone number*. Same goes for Rite Aid and some other stores which I can't recall at the moment. Still, I would like to have a more unified system where I can use NFC to input my loyalty card number instead of a barcode on my keyring, manually going into a 3rd-party app, creating my own Pass in Wallet, or inputing my phone number into their touchpad.

The grocery store in my previous post offers no loyalty card, but even if they did I'm guessing they wouldn't be savvy enough to tie it an email address for a digital receipt (at least not right away) since their system is currently based on the card number used. To CVS' credit, they've had digital receipts for awhile now and those are tied to your loyalty card so when they finally offer Apple Pay there won't be any receipt issues when you re-add a card to a device (e.g.: deleted Find My iPhone), update a card (e.g.: your card expired and was replaced by the bank), use a different card (e.g.: new card offers better rebates at that type of store), use a different device (e.g.: Watch instead of iPhone), or get a new iPhone (e.g.: replace iPhone 6 with iPhone 8).**

* Pro Tip: Get yourself a Google Voice or some other free phone number so you're never giving out your cellphone (or landline) phone.
    ** Exhaustive examples used because GeorgeBMac didn't understand what I was talking about with a digital receipt being tied to the referential card number used with Apple Pay over your physical card number.
    Sorry, but I still don't know what you're talking about -- because digital receipts have nothing to do with ApplePay and neither does providing personal info such as an email address or providing a loyalty card.   I tap my watch and the transaction is complete.   If you want to give them additional information, feel free....
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:

cali said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    "Chase Pay"

McDonalds Pay
    Microsoft Pay
    Pepsi Pay
    FaceBook Pay
    Wal Mart Pay(oops!)
    NFL Pay

Sorry, but I still don't know what you're talking about -- because digital receipts have nothing to do with ApplePay and neither does providing personal info such as an email address or providing a loyalty card.   I tap my watch and the transaction is complete.   If you want to give them additional information, feel free....
    :facepalm:
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:

cali said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    "Chase Pay"

McDonalds Pay
    Microsoft Pay
    Pepsi Pay
    FaceBook Pay
    Wal Mart Pay(oops!)
    NFL Pay

So, please explain your nonsense statements.  It should be good for a laugh.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Soli said:
    I already have explained—twice!—the caveat with Apple Pay's superior security, a particular issue where a local grocery store has engaged in a less than ideal scenario for a digital receipt, and a better way in which this can be enabled by Apple Pay retailers with a lower long-term inconvenience for customers. For some reason you're just getting defensive about me using your grocery store post as a jumping off point with your defensive and cynical, "If you want to give them additional information, feel free…." and "It should be good for a laugh," for example, so restating for a 3rd time an anecdote and examples that you're clearly butthurt about for reasons I can't fathom will do me no good.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,293member
    1. For those who don't know, Chase Pay has already launched. I even used it once when they doubled the amount I loaded on my Starbucks card.
    2. None of us really know what back end systems/ IP they bought for not very much money. For anybody here to pretend to know is just silly.
    3. It is in any bank's best interest to be actively involved and support any "e-wallet" type system that consumers want to use.
    4. Personally, I would be very surprised if they dropped ApplePay support. They were one of the first onboard and continue to add cards to the program. However, providing an alternative for their many customers who don't have iPhones is just smart business.

mac_128
  • Reply 48 of 52
    mike1 said:
    1. For those who don't know, Chase Pay has already launched. I even used it once when they doubled the amount I loaded on my Starbucks card.
    I signed up and used it to get my free $10, too. It's not like Chase doesn't have all my personal data since I already have 2 cards with them.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I already have explained—twice!—the caveat with Apple Pay's superior security, a particular issue where a local grocery store has engaged in a less than ideal scenario for a digital receipt, and a better way in which this can be enabled by Apple Pay retailers with a lower long-term inconvenience for customers. For some reason you're just getting defensive about me using your grocery store post as a jumping off point with your defensive and cynical, "If you want to give them additional information, feel free…." and "It should be good for a laugh," for example, so restating for a 3rd time an anecdote and examples that you're clearly butthurt about for reasons I can't fathom will do me no good.
    Sorry, I'm not "butthurt" as you claim...   Simply challenging your nonsensical statements and derogatory comments.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Sorry, I'm not "butthurt" as you claim...   Simply challenging your nonsensical statements and derogatory comments.
    What aspect of my reply did you challenge and what did I say that was derogatory about Apple Pay to elicit your non-butthurt-butthurt?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    What aspect of my reply did you challenge and what did I say that was derogatory about Apple Pay to elicit your non-butthurt-butthurt?
  • Reply 52 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I was talking about adding the fidelity card in Apple Pay. No scanning outside cards or whatnot. You use Apple Pay (phone, or watch) and whatever fidelity card you authorized and associated with that store is used. The store then gets the account id linked to that card which is associated to personal info they got on file and then can link the current transaction to you.

This is not widespread, the roll out has been painfully slow, not quite sure what the main issue is, probably integrating those virtual fidelity cards: with the store system; but eventually it will be there.

That way, if the store wanted, they could email you a receipt. The only thing is you'd not get any info on what kind of method of payment was used in the transaction)