Apple updates HomeKit accessories page with availability & new categories

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple this week updated its webpage for supporting HomeKit accessories with changes like new categories, and rough indications of when some future devices will ship.

The future gear is listed as either "announced" or "coming soon." Some examples of the former include LIFX and Sylvania bulbs, Velux window shades, a Honeywell security system, and the ConnectSense Bluetooth Extender.

A smaller number of products are identified as "coming soon," such as several Leviton switches and two Sensi thermostats.

Devices are now grouped into categories such as "Lights," "Cameras," "Garage Door Openers," and "Air Conditioners and Heaters," where previously they were organized by brand. If a product page is available, Apple offers a direct link.

Towards the bottom of the page are a handful of home builders offering HomeKit integration. Apple has been partnering with U.S. builders since last year, namely Brookfield, KB, and Lennar. China's R&F is also a partner.

Last week European builder WeberHaus came onboard, but it isn't yet mentioned on the list, presumably because it will only start offering smarthomes later in 2017.

In recent months Apple has been looking to drum up more interest in HomeKit, which now faces tougher competition given the popularity of the Amazon Echo and the Google Home, both of which offer voice commands for a variety of home accessories. Earlier in March Apple updated its Home mini-site, centered around a 45-second video suggesting the ways HomeKit devices can be used and controlled.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Don't see anything about Mixtile from Focalcrest
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Apple's list is very incomplete 

Ring has has announced forthcoming HomeKit support for their Doorbell and upcoming flood light. 

Honeywell announced two cameras with HomeKit support at CES '17 
    Withings announced a HomeKit camera  

Brinks announced a door lock that is HomeKit supported 

El Gato announced Eve Extend which should be in the Range Extender section. 

This was a hastily compiled list.  There are probably many more missing devices. 

edited March 2017
  • Reply 3 of 7
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,019member

Ring has has announced forthcoming HomeKit support for their Doorbell and upcoming flood light. 

This was a hastily compiled list.  There are probably many more missing devices. 

I noticed all the products you listed have been announced. Maybe once they ship then Apple will update their page. I think they want to make sure the products ship before they start marketing the products for said vendors.
    lolliver1983StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Stefan1968Stefan1968 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Hello Apple. Hello from the Netherlands Europe. Please include u's in hout ideas and features :-)

• Reply 5 of 7
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    JinTech said:
    I noticed all the products you listed have been announced. Maybe once they ship then Apple will update their page. I think they want to make sure the products ship before they start marketing the products for said vendors.

I don't think so. If you read the article it specifically states, quote; 'The future gear is listed as either "announced" or "coming soon" and then goes on to give some examples.

If you read Apples webpage referred in the link you will see many products listed as announced or coming soon that by definition implies it is not ready to ship. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member

I agree from my patiently waiting for promised HomeKit compatibility from products such as Ring Pro & Canary Plus to name but two more. Some other examples might be Withings Home Plus, Elgato Eve Aqua, Elgato Range Extender etc.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member

It states pretty clearly:

"with more and more on the way. Check back for updates"

...sounds dynamic to me. But perhaps you could email Cook about this.
    edited March 2017