Sprint & SoftBank in 'preliminary conversations' about T-Mobile merger

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    mystigo said:
    That would suck. T-Mobile has been the best thing to happen in the mobile industry since the original iPhone came out. They have single-handedly driven pricing out of the stratosphere with their aggressive plans. I used to pay $360 with a pittance allowance of data for my family of 4. It's down to $160 now with a large amount of data that rolls over.

What really sucks is that the people who could prevent such a merger couldn't care less about the American consumer. We are lower than used toilet paper on their scale of concern. There is absolutely nothing that can stop this.

Those people you mention that do not care about the American consumer and support large corporations to merge and eliminate competition are called Republicans. They will kill net neutrality as well. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 35
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    cia said:
    Maybe the Trump administration will allow what we all really want... A merger of AT&T and Verizon! Can you imagine?!? That would be awesome. Amazing coverage, and a single entity to handle all our customer service needs, (not that there would be many with a combined company that great!) It would be like Comcast now, who's amazing nationwide network provides fast, affordable internet/television service to millions. We can only hope! MAGA!
    Anything AT&T touches turns to shit. Being a Verizon customer, I would leave if they merged. 
  • Reply 23 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cia said:
    Maybe the Trump administration will allow what we all really want... A merger of AT&T and Verizon! Can you imagine?!? That would be awesome. Amazing coverage, and a single entity to handle all our customer service needs, (not that there would be many with a combined company that great!) It would be like Comcast now, who's amazing nationwide network provides fast, affordable internet/television service to millions. We can only hope! MAGA!
    So injection of politics for zero reason and with zero relation to the real world. What was the point of that?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    ciacia Posts: 258member
    lkrupp said:
    cia said:
    Your cynicism not withstanding I get your point. You want total government regulation of prices and features. You, through your elected representative, will decide how much you will pay for everything and how things will work. You should know that’s already been tried and failed in places like Cuba, Venezuela, the Soviet Union. 
    Uh, The Soviet Union, (Now called Russia) just elected our president.   Have you not been following the news?   So your "failed places" argument doesn't hold much water.

веселит товарищ!
  • Reply 25 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:
    cia said:
    Your cynicism not withstanding I get your point. You want total government regulation of prices and features. You, through your elected representative, will decide how much you will pay for everything and how things will work. You should know that’s already been tried and failed in places like Cuba, Venezuela, the Soviet Union. 
    Sorry to inform you but, when the free market fails (usually due to lack of effective competition), it is the responsibility of government to step in and correct the problem.   Often that happens when there are monopolies involved -- and, such is the case in health care and telecommunications.

The free marketers falsely claim that, as long as there is more than one company in an industry that there is competition.   That is sometimes true and sometimes not.   Again, I point to healthcare and telecommunications.   Both are industries that are failing the American people.
    ...  Deal with it...
  • Reply 26 of 35
    sog35 said:
    cia said:
    are you kidding?

Then they will jack up the price since they will have a near monopoly
    Monopolies happen when businesses are protected FROM competition, not when they are actually competing.
    Yes, and there are multiple ways of doing that:
    One example is collusion.
    Another is when government protects an industry -- such as the FDA does for the pharmaceutical industry.

Industry (at least established industry) hates a free market -- they prefer a market that they control and they will get there anyway that they can.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    sog35 said:
    Please no.

T-mobile has been awesome.

Right now I get unlimited LTE data on 3 phones for $90. That includes taxes, fees, ect. The first 30GB data is 100% full speed LTE. After that I lose priority during heavy traffic times. I've gone over 30GB several times and have not noticed any speed loss.

Sounds real good, I am paying ~$80/mo for  grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan with 450 talk minutes, including no text for month. And that's on a corporate discount program!  What kind of voice and text plan do you get with a deal? 
    I was also on a grandfathered AT&T plan three months ago till they raised $5 per line on those plans. My bill was already $145+, so I jumped to T-Mobile. AT&T made it difficult to move over because their corporate phone reps kept mishandling early termination fees (which they're supposed to waive for grandfather's customers). It took 3 hours of phone calls over a period of weeks for AT&T to release me.

At T-Mob, 2 lines of unlimited data, talk, text for $100. Plus two $150 gift cards for adding two lines. The customer service and portal is either better or on par with AT&T.
    Both AT&T and Verizon rely on and actively propagate customer confusion and lack of information.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cia said:
    lkrupp said:
    cia said:
    Uh, The Soviet Union, (Now called Russia) just elected our president.   Have you not been following the news?   So your "failed places" argument doesn't hold much water.

веселит товарищ!
    Unless Russia invaded and now completely controls the Electoral College, that's an inane assertion.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 29 of 35
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    cia said:
    Of course they will! Mr. Trump would like to remind you that he is there to take care of ordinary, hardworking blue man. That’s why his administration consists of such people and not of some established corporate hyenas.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    cia said:
    Uh, The Soviet Union, (Now called Russia)
    First off, you don’t have a fucking clue what Russia is or what the Soviet Union was.
     just elected our president. Have you not been following the news?
    Sarcasm, or…?
    So your "failed places" argument doesn't hold much water.
    1. Every communist society has failed because communism can definitionally not succeed.
    2. America is failing because it has instituted communist policies for the last 70 years or so.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Hopefully the good things about  T-Mobile would rub off on sprint and everyone would of course benefit from the extra coverage. I still hope it doesn't happen though.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    cia said:
    Uh, The Soviet Union, (Now called Russia)
    First off, you don’t have a fucking clue what Russia is or what the Soviet Union was.
     just elected our president. Have you not been following the news?
    Sarcasm, or…?
    So your "failed places" argument doesn't hold much water.
    1. Every communist society has failed because communism can definitionally not succeed.
    2. America is failing because it has instituted communist policies for the last 70 years or so.
    Wrong!   B I G L Y!
    You should maybe try listening and reading the actual news instead of the right wing Alternative Versions.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    ivlad said:
    cia said:
    Of course they will! Mr. Trump would like to remind you that he is there to take care of ordinary, hardworking blue man. That’s why his administration consists of such people and not of some established corporate hyenas.
    LOL...  Yeh, he's taking them alright!  Actually, he took them....
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Wrong!   B I G L Y!
    So no argument, then. Thanks for admitting that everything I said is correct.