Bragi unveils Dash Pro with realtime translation, enhanced noise cancellation, more

Posted:
in General Discussion
Self-professed "hearable" company Bragi on Tuesday announced a series of updates to its product lineup, including the all-new Dash Pro, a version of which is being marketed as "the world's first custom-made wireless ear computer."

According to a press release sent out to coincide with a live announcement hosted by YouTube, the Bragi Dash Pro provides one-touch Bluetooth pairing, robust connectivity and onboard computing components. The headphones last five hours on a charge, with another five charges available through the accompanying carrying case.

Powered by a 32-bit processor and 4GB of storage, the headphones boast a built-in artificial intelligence and 27 sensors that help inform a number of features like active noise cancelling, itself boosted thanks to a new audio codec designed to minimize white noise. Carried over from the original Dash is Audio Transparency, a feature that allows real world noise to pass through, either selectively or wholesale.

New to the Dash Pro is integration with iTranslate, which supports on-the-fly translations of more than 40 languages. The feature is reliant on the paid version of iTranslate's iOS app, meaning the device needs to be in communication with an iPhone or iPad to function. Dash Pro buyers get a 30-day subscription to try the feature out for free.

Rated IPX7 waterproof, Dash Pro sports biometric sensors to track steps, cadence, pool lengths and other fitness metrics. Users can connect to the Bragi app for live updates on workout performance, while integration with other health apps promises additional flexibility.

A revamped "4D" user interface lets users control the Dash Pro using head movements and cheek taps.

Dash Pro is available for $329 from Bragi's website.

A high-end version designed in cooperation with Starkey Hearing Technologies is also being offered at the premium price of $499. The extra money buys custom fit shells that are 3D printed from molds of a user's ears. The Starkey version will be sold through 5,000 audiologists across the U.S. and Canada.

Finally, today's update introduces the Bragi 3.0 operating system, which incorporates IBM's Watson AI, adds automated health and fitness tracking with offline storage, and implements a new audio profile. The aforementioned "4D" menu, one-touch Bluetooth pairing and iTranslate integration are also included, allowing owners of older Dash devices to enjoy some of the newly introduced features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    Sounds like this company would be a good match for Apple. This would be a nice add on to their wearable line. 
    calistanthemancutykamu
  • Reply 2 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Very Apple like. Would love Apple to acquire them. 

• Reply 3 of 16
    Has anyone tried them to see how well the translation really works?
    stanthemanjahblade
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Do.not.buy

I bought the current version of The Dash and it's pretty and even looks like an Apple product. BUT, it doesn't do anything that they say in the website that it's supposed to do. Terrible experience, low/poor volume, non-responsive controls, etc.

They say battery lasts 3 hours. Nope, it barely lasts 1 hour. I spend 2-3 hours at the gym. It was frustrating.

They have the worst customer service or no customer service at all.

Bragi is a misleading company.

I stick to Jaybird X3, which doesn't offer all the fancy and sophisticated health features, but the audio quality is GREAT. It's sweat and water resistant, not waterproof though. Battery lasts like 5-6 hours before having to charge again. 

I think the Apple EarPods are good too based on reviews but I haven't tried them on myself.

do.not.buy.the.dash.
    LukeCagejahblade
  • Reply 5 of 16
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    Do.not.buy

I bought the current version of The Dash and it's pretty and even looks like an Apple product. BUT, it doesn't do anything that they say in the website that it's supposed to do. Terrible experience, low/poor volume, non-responsive controls, etc.

They say battery lasts 3 hours. Nope, it barely lasts 1 hour. I spend 2-3 hours at the gym. It was frustrating.

I stick to Jaybird X3, which doesn't offer all the fancy and sophisticated health features, but the audio quality is GREAT. It's sweat and water resistant, not waterproof though. Battery lasts like 5-6 hours before having to charge again. 

I think the Apple EarPods are good too based on reviews but I haven't tried them on myself.

do.not.buy.the.dash.
    Hey William how much did you pay for the current version the dash? I will be on the look out for reviews for this newer version. I will also see how bad or good their current version is. 
  • Reply 6 of 16
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Cheek taps. That'll look sane.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 16
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Bragi have a habit of over promising (even accidentally so, as by how fiddly the tap and swipe gestures are.)
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I like my Dash earbuds. I use them pretty much every day. The best recommendation I can make is to try some "after market" ear pieces if you have the first gen. They were figity, but updates have helped a lot and the fit was remedied with said after market tips. It was V1 of a relatively ambitious if not cutting edge product, you had to expect it was going to have its rough spots. I'm very much looking forward to the current update though. And I do agree with other. This is a great fit for Apple and I'm a little surprised the airpods didn't have more parity with the dash's, but not everyone needs a heart rate monitor etc. 
  • Reply 9 of 16
    RTCRTC Posts: 14member
    cali said:

Bragi loves to brag LOL. I had their first product and I was deeply disappointed. Miserable battery life (1-2 hours), sound was meh (AirPods sound amazing in comparison) and there were always connection/disconnection issues.
    Trust me, Apple is miles ahead of Bragi with the Airpods. All these features sound great but they probably work as well (NOT!) as on the first Dash. No thanks.
    The only company Apple should really buy is...Sonos. Their mesh sound system works amazingly well and would fit Apple and their product line perfectly.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    LukeCage said:
    Do.not.buy

do.not.buy.the.dash.
    Hey William how much did you pay for the current version the dash? I will be on the look out for reviews for this newer version. I will also see how bad or good their current version is. 
    I paid almost $270 with taxes.
    Oh, and the worst of all things is that Bluetooth doesn't work if the iPhone is not in a straight visible line with the earbuds. Can you believe that? It's more like an infrared connection rather than Bluetooth. Read the reviews on Amazon.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    LukeCage said:
    Do.not.buy

do.not.buy.the.dash.
    Oh, and the worst of all things is that Bluetooth doesn't work if the iPhone is not in a straight visible line with the earbuds. Can you believe that? It's more like an infrared connection rather than Bluetooth. Read the reviews on Amazon.
    To be fair, that's my experience with all Bluetooth devices (YMMV). The Airpods are the first device in that class that allow me to, not just be out of line of sight, but actually walk around the house, down the stairs into other rooms and the connection stays rock solid. Remarkable really. The Airpods are the most impressive device I've ever bought.
    AppleUfmyIuniscape
  • Reply 12 of 16
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    RTC said:
    cali said:

Bragi loves to brag LOL. I had their first product and I was deeply disappointed. Miserable battery life (1-2 hours), sound was meh (AirPods sound amazing in comparison) and there were always connection/disconnection issues.
    Trust me, Apple is miles ahead of Bragi with the Airpods. All these features sound great but they probably work as well (NOT!) as on the first Dash. No thanks.
    The only company Apple should really buy is...Sonos. Their mesh sound system works amazingly well and would fit Apple and their product line perfectly.
    Apple often takes a lot of "flack" for not having as many features as competitors, but the reality is that it is often necessary - certainly on brand new products - to ensure a great user experience for what is offered.  AirPods don't have half of these features, but based on reading reviews and commentary, are overall much better wireless headphones.  I am sure that Apple will offer more features on future versions, where those features have an impact.  Apple has Apple Watch for heart rate monitoring, but a "hearable" is a good place for temperature sensor, as example.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    LukeCage said:
    Do.not.buy

do.not.buy.the.dash.
    All of your statements are in complete contrast to my experience. I think allot of the negative comments stem from individuals who didn't wait for updates which fixed many of my own gripes including pairing problems and range. 
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mobius said:
    LukeCage said:
    Do.not.buy

do.not.buy.the.dash.
    To be fair, that's my experience with all Bluetooth devices (YMMV). The Airpods are the first device in that class that allow me to, not just be out of line of sight, but actually walk around the house, down the stairs into other rooms and the connection stays rock solid. Remarkable really. The Airpods are the most impressive device I've ever bought.
    I like the Jaybird X3, I leave my iPhone in one place at the gym and walk around all over, including the bathroom, and connection is really good. I'd like to try the AirPods soon!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "Built-in 'artificial intelligence'"? 

Come on. That's marketing doubletalk.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    So far, all the comments here have been their utility as earphones.  Has anyone tried the iTranslate link-up?  That's the real potential for an "awesomely great" product.  I'd love the ability to have my headphones auto-translate for me.  I'd still need something else for them to understand me, but this is still an important solution to half of the problem.