Apple design head Jony Ive made chancellor of London's Royal College of Art

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    dmcdeedmcdee Posts: 6member
    No, Chancellor of Durham Univ is a distinguished person.  At present it is Sir Thomas Allen, the opera singer; who replaced Bill Bryson.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,741member
    MacPro said:
    Europeans really love their titles.

One of my favorites.  Just sounds so admirable...

Hernán Cortés de Monroy y Pizarro Altamirano, Marquis of the Valley of Oaxaca

Also off topic but know what you mean, sadly, not sure these days many of the English want to be considered as 'European'.
    And rightly so. Nothing sad about it.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,907member
    Do you suppose there is so much freak out when the guy in your office takes up coaching his kid's little league? Yeah no.

But the sense of entitlement is so great with some Apple customers that they simply cannot tolerate news of a guy doing stuff outside of his day job.

Yeah, that's a fair comparison.  If it were a mission critical person and the league were on another continent and it was actually a professional team, yeah I might be concerned about such a guy in my office.

Can you prove that this position is akin to managing a pro baseball team, which is a full time profession? 

How did Dyson, the founder and chief of his own company, survive when he held this title.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,907member
    Methinks Jony has popped into Greggs while visiting the UK.  So that's why there's been no redesign since the 6 for Sir Jony has been eating all the pies!
    Ah is the king troll back? Weren't you perma-banned?
    pscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 32
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Methinks Jony has popped into Greggs while visiting the UK.  So that's why there's been no redesign since the 6 for Sir Jony has been eating all the pies!
    Ah is the king troll back? Weren't you perma-banned?
    More like peanut gallery troll.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 32
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,269member
    MacPro said:
    Europeans really love their titles.

One of my favorites.  Just sounds so admirable...

Hernán Cortés de Monroy y Pizarro Altamirano, Marquis of the Valley of Oaxaca

Also off topic but know what you mean, sadly, not sure these days many of the English want to be considered as 'European'.

I thought England was the 51st state?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,269member

I swear it's the same guy with and without hair...

• Reply 28 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, what's the buzz on what Ive has been up to, if anything, lately? Car? Speaker? Glucose monitoring? He appears to have completely dropped off the radar screen in the past year.

I am speculating that this is the start of the end of the Ive era at Apple.
    The buzz a while back was he was focused on Campus 2 and Apple retail stores. When he was first promoted to CDO the hot takes were he was close to retirement. But his bio on Apple's leadership page says he's responsible, in part, for "new ideas and future initiatives". So far recently Ive has narrated Apple Watch, 3D Touch, iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, AirPods, iPhone 7 and MacBook Pro with TouchBar product videos. I think we'll know that the Ive era is over when he no longer narrates those.
    At least Morgan Freeman knows how to say "Aluminum".
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Do you suppose there is so much freak out when the guy in your office takes up coaching his kid's little league? Yeah no.

But the sense of entitlement is so great with some Apple customers that they simply cannot tolerate news of a guy doing stuff outside of his day job.
    Under Jobs, the day job WAS the life.  There was no "outside"...
  • Reply 30 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

4 children suggests not.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    crowley said:

4 children suggests not.
    It doesn't take a lot of time to make a kid...