Spotify drops Web streaming for users of Apple's Safari browser

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    Just the push a lot of people will need to try out Apple Music (and love it). Thanks, Spotify!
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Ha !!

I dropped Spotify way before they dropped me.

Years ago when I started my Apple Music Family plan for 6 users.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The Sling TV app from the ATV4 app store? 
    Yes, neither the tvOS or macOS apps from their App Stores will let me login, but the iOS app works fine.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Soli said:
    Yes, neither the tvOS or macOS apps from their App Stores will let me login, but the iOS app works fine.
    Are you receiving this error "cocoa error domain = 3840" on the ATV4? 
  • Reply 25 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Are you receiving this error "cocoa error domain = 3840" on the ATV4? 
    No. My error codes are from Sling. They've been constant on each device with all the app removals and restarts, and password resets, but different between the Mac and Apple TV. iPhone has had zero trouble. All those devices are running the latest betas and the issues have persisted through all the betas.

I reached out to Sling for some basic support but they had nothing and there's little recourse while these OSes are in beta, even though I doubt it's on Apple's end. Either way, not worrying about since I have Chrome on the Mac now and a workaround for the Apple TV to hold me over.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    NY1822 said:
    is the same Spotify who complained of unfair practices from Apple...
    There is nothing that says Spotify must or must not agree to support every browser under the sun. This isn't anything people didn't deal with during the Browser Wars in the '90s. Since this isn't Google Music, you can't even play the Monopoly card. Get off your persecution complex -- anyone getting up-in-arms about this is part of the "Who Moved My Cheese?" crybaby brigade.
    Soli
  • Reply 27 of 29
    JanNL said:
    larryjw said:
    What happens if you set Safari's User Agent (in the Develop menu) to one of the compatible browsers?
    Then it works... just tried and no warning.

And with the iOS agents it even works with Safari...
    There is a subtle, but important difference between "it wont work" and "it's not supported". One that is lost on most end-users.
    Soli
  • Reply 28 of 29
    The obvious answer is they're sticking it too their competitor, but then again why would they alienate their subscribers who prefer the Apple browser but prefer Spotify over Apple Music? When we're forced to utilize something we don't want to use most of us resist and do the exact opposite, we shall see if this is a temporary occurrence or what appears to be an obvious decision on Spotify's part.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Take Spotify out of apps store.....oh wait a minute aren't they been a cry baby lately??