Apple says fix coming for 'crackling' iPhone 8 audio

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Tuesday issued a statement confirming a small number of iPhone 8 handsets suffer from an audio glitch that causes a "crackling" noise during phone calls, saying a fix for the problem is in the works.

In the days following last week's iPhone 8 launch, a number of new owners have reported the audio bug to Apple's Support Pages forum (1, 2) and Reddit's iPhone subreddit, saying their new device emits a "crackling" or "static" noise from its ear speaker.

Apple commented on the matter in a statement to The Verge, saying, "We are aware of the issue which is affecting customers in a small number of cases. Our team is at work on a fix, which will be included in an upcoming software release."

The company failed to elaborate on the bug's cause.

A number of users have experienced the issue, however, and in each case the iPhone 8 in question emits a high-pitched crackling sound while on a phone call or FaceTime Audio call. The problem does not manifest in every call, and is not present when using the earpiece as a loudspeaker for speakerphone connections. Further, both iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus units are affected by the issue.

The symptoms suggest software, not hardware, is to blame for the crackling noise, meaning a firmware update will likely rectify the situation.

Apple failed to offer a timeline on the coming fix, though the company just today released iOS 11.0.1 to squash a number of bugs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Got an iPhone 7 and ever since I updated to iOS11, I've been getting crackling sounds when I play my music. Haven't heard any crackling in my phone so far...
  • Reply 2 of 36
    I am glad I did not buy this "quality" product from Apple. There is always a bug or problem with anything new from Apple. For the amount of money customers pay for this "phone" it should work with no problems. This proves that Apple's quality control is non existent. Tim is this what you mean that the iPhone's cost was "value priced for the technology it provides"? Apple should make sure the phone part works, instead of AR or the great camera, which makes this product nothing more than an expensive broken toy. This is a great disappointment.  
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 3 of 36
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    iPhone 8 and 8 Plus seems the worse quality iPhones. We must appreciate the great leadership of Tim Cook who could not maintain the quality of which Apple is praised for.  Instead he place a lot of attention on political issues which has nothing to do with Apple.  
    mike54
  • Reply 4 of 36
    I am glad I did not buy this "quality" product from Apple. There is always a bug or problem with anything new from Apple. For the amount of money customers pay for this "phone" it should work with no problems. This proves that Apple's quality control is non existent. Tim is this what you mean that the iPhone's cost was "value priced for the technology it provides"? Apple should make sure the phone part works, instead of AR or the great camera, which makes this product nothing more than an expensive broken toy. This is a great disappointment.  
    Life isn’t perfect. Apple could get there product quality to 99.99% and still some would experience a problem. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    tzeshan said:
    iPhone 8 and 8 Plus seems the worse quality iPhones. We must appreciate the great leadership of Tim Cook who could not maintain the quality of which Apple is praised for.  Instead he place a lot of attention on political issues which has nothing to do with Apple.  
    Yeah, Apple product suffers because Tim Cook is promoting human rights... [rolls eyes till it hurts]. You're scapegoating. If you would pay attention, you'd see that human rights has plenty to do with Apple because Apple employs humans.
    StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 36
    tbsteph said:
    Life isn’t perfect. Apple could get there product quality to 99.99% and still some would experience a problem. 
    I'd love to see 99.99%. Hell, I'd love to see 90% correct functionality. 80% functionality isn't acceptable and the number is dropping every release.
    king editor the gratemike54
  • Reply 7 of 36
    I can confirm the "static" is not isolated to the iPhone 8. I have the same exact problem on my iPhone 6 after updating to iOS 11.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    How many products have you shipped? Lots of critics with expectations of perfection who never designed, built and shipped a product in their life. 

Until you walk in those shoes you might want to be less critical, since your creator my judge you by the same standard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    dysamoria said:
    tbsteph said:
    I'd love to see 99.99%. Hell, I'd love to see 90% correct functionality. 80% functionality isn't acceptable and the number is dropping every release.
    Really, can you share the actual data to back those %
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 36
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    So the iPhone 8 sounds like a long distance call from 1972.
    avon b7
  • Reply 11 of 36
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    I am glad I did not buy this "quality" product from Apple. There is always a bug or problem with anything new from Apple. ... This proves that Apple's quality control is non existent.
    Neither statement quoted is true. Just for the record.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    mike54 said:
    There is no denying that Apple's quality control has changed, for the worse. Maybe not too much at this stage or not too alarming, but clearly the momentum is there, and once it get going it is harder to turn the ship around. Tim Cook may need to take some time out to take a step back and look at it from a distance, to recognise whats is happening before it starts to run away on its own. Its very easy to dismiss it at this stage, and that's the danger.
    What? When has Apple (or any company for that matter) released software that was bug free? The internet just magnifies issues that affect a small number of people.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member

Its most likely a software bug. 
    edited September 2017 watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 36
    It can't be a disappointment to you if you don't even have one. I don't know which knockoff brand you champion, but there is no such thing as software without bugs. This is what I do for a living and there have always been bugs and will always be bugs. The difference is, Apple fixes them and supports its hardware for years to come, while your Android knockoffs are abandoned one week after release.
    edited September 2017 roundaboutnowwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 36

tzeshan said:
    You keep beating this drum but it's an incredibly stupid and incorrect sentiment. Today's iPhones are the most capable ever built and I'd never exchange my 7 for a 4 and I doubt you would either. And you're pretending there weren't quality issues under Jobs (remember the Cube? No, you probably didn't use Apple gear then). Political issues are fine, and Jobs was involved in them as well. But you don't like gay rights, we get it. You're on the losing side of this social issue, give it up.
    roundaboutnowdysamoriawatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 36

dysamoria said:
    tbsteph said:
    Made up nonsense on your part. Cite your numbers, please, otherwise you're just making shit up again.
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 36

mike54 said:
    There is no denying that Apple's quality control has changed, for the worse. Maybe not too much at this stage or not too alarming, but clearly the momentum is there, and once it get going it is harder to turn the ship around. Tim Cook may need to take some time out to take a step back and look at it from a distance, to recognise whats is happening before it starts to run away on its own. Its very easy to dismiss it at this stage, and that's the danger.
    Yes there is. I absolutely deny that. There are loads more Apple customers today than in years and decades past. And there is this loud echo chamber called the internet, which didn't exist before. Thus, even with very minor issues experienced by the few, you become convinced its widespread calamity. It isn't.

More panic from the peanut gallery. In a month or two you won't even remember that you were upset about it, per usual.
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 36
    tzeshan said:
    I feel the exact opposite about the iPhone 8 that I purchase, excellent build quality from a hardware standpoint and even better software. Bugs happen and will continue to happen as long as humans continue to make them. 
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Here we go: "audio gate" for the iPhone eight. At least eight and gate rhyme this time?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    maestro64 said:
    How many products have you shipped? Lots of critics with expectations of perfection who never designed, built and shipped a product in their life. 

Until you walk in those shoes you might want to be less critical, since your creator my judge you by the same standard.
    Apple has shipped better product itself. They set a much higher standard for everyone, has since dropped that standard, and is headed for Microsoft-levels of dominance with pooor quality product.

There is absolutely no need for you to throw around the capitalist worshipper meme of "you're not allowed to complain unless you're a business owner too". In fact, that kind of pleading to cut off consumer comment is exactly one of the things wrong with the pathological capitalism that's wrecking American capitalism. It doesn't take being an entrepreneur to recognize problems with products. It does seem to take being an entrepreneur (or a wannabe) to desire to silence legit complaint against very wealthy (favored) corporations in industries that survive via special pleading (by apologists, rather than via quality products) like the computer industry.