Netflix 4K streamers about to see a $2 increase to $13.99 per month

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2017
Video streaming giant Netflix is raising its prices for its upper-two pricing tiers, after a long period without a fee increase to cover the company's expanding production stable, and to enhance the service as a whole.

Starting this billing cycle the standard tier that allows for streams to two devices at once is climbing from $9.99 per month to $10.99 per month. The next tier that allows for four screens and 4K streaming, the premium tier, will increase $2 per month to $13.99 per month.

Netflix noted in a statement that the increase was required because of "more exclusive TV shows and movies," new product features, and to "improve the overall Netflix experience." Netflix said in August that it is planning to spend $7 billion on content in 2018, a seven-fold increase over this year.

Users will be notified of the price increase starting on Oct. 19.

The last price hike for U.S. customers only affected a small portion of users. Members that had been on a grandfathered $7.99 per month plan after a 2014 increase were shifted to the then-$9.99 tier in 2016.

A previous hike in 2015 saw a $1 increase for standard tier users, raising the cost to $9.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    hpaulhhpaulh Posts: 16member
    How is it even possible to know when you're streaming 4K from Netflix on AppleTV 4K? I've yet to see a 4K indicator on any Netflix show. Where is the logo hiding?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    sog35 said:
    Price is still good.

What you can do is buy iTunes gift cards for 15% off and use it to pay for Netflix.
    Good idea.  Sometimes it's possible to even find iTunes gift cards at 20-25% off, even better!

The headline is a little misleading, as the way I read the article says everyone on the second tier is getting the price hike, regardless of if they stream in 4K.  For now, I agree, the price is still decent.  However, I think if these streaming services continue to hike their prices they may start to lose people.  I tend to keep both Netflix and Hulu around for now as we hit them both up from time to time.  But we don't watch either of them enough to justify paying, say, $20/month for each.  With this increase Netflix is inching its way toward that.  Considering I was paying $8/month in 2014 and just 3 years later they've increased the price almost 50% it doesn't take much to imagine another 50% increase in another 3 years.  How long is that sustainable?
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 3 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    hpaulh said:
    How is it even possible to know when you're streaming 4K from Netflix on AppleTV 4K? I've yet to see a 4K indicator on any Netflix show. Where is the logo hiding?
    There is no indicator while watching a 4K show. It's like that on the Netflix app on my TV, Roku player, etc. When you are browsing shows, it will say if it's 4K. You can check to see what the current resolution is while streaming, but I'm not sure if that is possible on the Apple TV. For example, on the PS4, you hit the R3 button and it will show what the current streaming quality is. On a Roku player, you touch the star/asterisk button. 
    edited October 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Video streaming giant Netflix is raising its prices for its upper-two pricing tiers, after a long period without a fee increase to cover the company's expanding production stable, and to enhance the service as a whole because they predict that their total revenue will be greater after the increase.

There, I fixed it you for.

benji888pujones1
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Question: is the price hike for all existing users or users that sign up after the price hike? 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    EphEph Posts: 8member
    You need to update your Netflix account to 4 users and 4K for $11.99, soon to go to $13.99. When browsing Netflix Originals on an Apple TV 4K, mousing over a title shows if it is HD or 4K. Most are 4K. You also need to use the AppleTV prefs to set up 4K either 30Hz or 60Hz under Resolution.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Question: is the price hike for all existing users or users that sign up after the price hike? 
    Universal.

FTA: "Users will be notified of the price increase starting on Oct. 19."
  • Reply 8 of 17
    hpaulhhpaulh Posts: 16member
    hpaulh said:
    There is no indicator while watching a 4K show. It's like that on the Netflix app on my TV, Roku player, etc. When you are browsing shows, it will say if it's 4K. You can check to see what the current resolution is while streaming, but I'm not sure if that is possible on the Apple TV. For example, on the PS4, you hit the R3 button and it will show what the current streaming quality is. On a Roku player, you touch the star/asterisk button. 
    Found the "Ultra HD 4K" indicator on Netflix using AppleTV 4K -- For the indicator to show up in Netflix under show's title, it's necessary to go into AppleTV Settings - Video and Audio - Format and choose one of the listings for 4K. AppleTV 4K will check your TV/HDMI cable/etc. compatibility -- my best setting was 4K SDR 60 Hz -- I'm going to check my 4K-Samsung's capabilities (for HDR10 or Dolby Vision) and then purchase a new High Speed HDMI cable to match. So far, so good.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 9 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

Netflix noted in a statement that the increase was required because of "more exclusive TV shows and movies," new product features, and to "improve the overall Netflix experience." Netflix said in August that it is planning to spend $7 billion on content in 2018, a seven-fold increase over this year.
    That's funny, because the entire point of producing their own content was to avoid paying the studios the money needed to license quality content (ie, first rate hollywood feature films) instead of all the crappy movies and documentaries. As for Netflix's original programming, much of it is licensed from overseas channels and a lot of it is still crappy, hits such as Stranger Things and HoC aside.

As for improving the experience, for starters it would be nice if the ATV app didn't constantly force me to select a profile despite my account only having...one profile. Makes no sense. Have reported it years ago, still present. Oh, kids today.
    edited October 2017 randominternetperson
  • Reply 10 of 17
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    I will not use this service.
    propod
  • Reply 11 of 17
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Who has time for this stuff? I wait until Netflix sends a free 30-day trial and even then I haven't enough time or interest to watch more than maybe a couple things.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    hpaulh said:
    There's a designated list of 4K movies in the Netflix index.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    cpsro said:
    Who has time for this stuff? I wait until Netflix sends a free 30-day trial and even then I haven't enough time or interest to watch more than maybe a couple things.
    Seriously, If I watch 4 hours of TV total in a month, that's including movies or something on the pureflix, that's ALOT.

• Reply 14 of 17
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    bluefire1 said:
    hpaulh said:
    There's a designated list of 4K movies in the Netflix index.
    Where does one find the index? So far the only titles I’ve found in 4K are Netflix’s own shows and a few nature/scenery videos. No movies. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Is it so difficult to tell the difference between 4K and HD that an indicator is needed? If that's true, then is there much benefit of the higher resolution? Disclaimer: I haven't dealt with 4K viewing.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    linkman said:
    Is it so difficult to tell the difference between 4K and HD that an indicator is needed? If that's true, then is there much benefit of the higher resolution? Disclaimer: I haven't dealt with 4K viewing.
    There's a question that will get you different answers.  Some will tell you that the difference is immediately noticeable on their (relatively small) 55" screen.  Others will tell you that in order to see the difference between 1080p and 2160p you need a larger screen of over 100" (while sitting at a normal viewing distance (I don't know anyone who wants to sit 2' from their screen to see the extra pixels that 4K offers)).  Still others will mention that 4K screens can support HDR, which you would be able to see at smaller screen sizes, because regardless of the number of pixels, color changes are noticeable.

Here's where I sit (and will likely get some flames).  My iPhone has a "Retina Display", meaning that it has so many pixels that most people's eyes cannot resolve the difference between individual pixels (when held at a normal viewing distance).  So, if Apple decides to quadruple the number of pixels on my iPhone but keep the display the same size and I still hold it at the same distance, will there be any benefit to my eyes?  If I already can't see the individual pixels, will adding more be better?  I doubt it.  With that in mind, if I can't see individual pixels while sitting 8-10 feet from by 55" TV and viewing HD content, will I be able to see a difference viewing UHD content (disregarding HDR)?  I doubt it.  

And then, for the people who will vehemently defend the 4K viewing at small sizes, what's next?  When 8K starts rolling out do you think you'll still be able to see the difference between 4K and 8K on the same size screen sitting at the same distance?  What about for 16K?  At some point there is no way humans will be able to detect more pixels.