Jony Ive on iPhone X and Apple's future products: Design and ideas must wait for technolog...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    "There are certain ideas that we have, and we're waiting for the technology to catch up," Ive said.
    Translation: eventually the notch will be gone.
    The Notch is here to stay, period. Just like the Home Button makes the iPhone unique, the Notch makes the iPhone distinct & beautiful.
    No. The notch is a necessary evil right now. You cannot tell me Apple designers/engineers/executives love this look:

They could have avoided the notch completely by simply making the phone bigger; so why didn’t they?

The user experience maybe? The natural user interaction is to look at the screen when they want to use the phone, not at something above the screen. Secondly, without the Home Button, users have no fast reference to tell them which way up they’re holding the phone. The horns clearly show when the phone is the right way up. 

When watching movies you can get rid of the notch. And I suspect that for most other cases, folk use the phone in portrait mode. 
  • Reply 22 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    I 'd just point out had the top of the new phone simply had a full width black area, i.e. no notch, no one would see it as an issue, the screen would be uniformly fractionally shorter.  However, leave the center area black and add an area of screen above and below and now we have screams of 'notch'.  It reminds me of when HD just started rolling out and people would see stretched images on HD TVs of old content as preferable to maintaining 4:3 aspect and 'wasting part of the screen' with those black bars at either side.  
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    The iPhone has always been on the cutting edge of screen resolution output since 2011.  With its Retina quality displays and 326 ppi and 264 ppi.   Now after many years of ground breaking R&D, a Super Retina screen resolution with a never done before new, ground breaking innovation screen display technology called OLED in the brand new edge technology in the iPhone X!  Wow!
    Haha then 2 weeks later Google announces a phone Pixel 2 with an OLED display with better resolution then iPhone X, fast charging tech and price thats at list reasonable.

Not a Google fan. I've had 5 iPhones from it's debut but I will be now switching to Android. That almost makes me puke but I've had enough patience with Apple with their premium prices and not-so anymore premium products. 
  • Reply 24 of 36
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,569member
    fallenjt said:
    "There are certain ideas that we have, and we're waiting for the technology to catch up," Ive said.
    The Notch is here to stay, period. Just like the Home Button makes the iPhone unique, the Notch makes the iPhone distinct & beautiful.
    Oh, I don't think it's "here to stay." I think it's here for now. Once they find/create a better way to get closer to the goal of a pure screen experience, they'll continue to go in that direction.
    No it won’t go away. Tell me where will they put all these sensors?  No where else but at that location. Therefore, the notch will always be there. They may black out the screen areas on both sides of the notch to make it appear a continuous band, but that will mess up the symmetry of iPhone, the concept of their design...unless they will also make the bottom bezel thicker...nah that’s backward design. So, get used to it.
    Apple have been working hard at embedding cameras into screens for many years now, if patent applications and various reports are to be believed...
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 25 of 36
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    I've always said this about Apple. They don't do things if the technology doesn't exist and in more cases than not THEY'VE had to be the ones to develop the new technology.

Think about the A7, the first ever mobile 64bit processor. It allowed them to achieve amazing things but they developed it themselves because the progress of the current processors was flailing. They've developed so much technology in the camera as well figuring out how to get more light into tiny sensors.

And unlike their competition they are constantly making sacrifices that seem bad but in the end make sense. For example the removal of the headphone jack. Sure, to some having to carry around an adaptor sucks but in truth it adds far greater potential sound. The 3.5mm jack can't carry power and yet the Lightning port can and so you can actually get potentially better audio from this arrangement than the physical port. A sacrifice that seemed bad but has great potential. That pretty much sums up Apple's approach to everything.

Unfortunately if Apple has to wait for others to develop better technology (think OLED) then they have to make such big sacrifices that people think once they finally get there they were too slow to market (AppleTV, Apple Watch, iPhone 6 Plus...) but it was that they deemed the sacrifice of using crap technology was not the sacrifice they wanted to make and low and behold we the consumer are better off for those decisions.
    They didn't have to remove the jack to do that. My phone has one and it does everything that the phone without a jack does, and because it also has the jack, it does much much much more.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 26 of 36
    siretmansiretman Posts: 118member
    jume said:
    The iPhone has always been on the cutting edge of screen resolution output since 2011.  With its Retina quality displays and 326 ppi and 264 ppi.   Now after many years of ground breaking R&D, a Super Retina screen resolution with a never done before new, ground breaking innovation screen display technology called OLED in the brand new edge technology in the iPhone X!  Wow!
    Haha then 2 weeks later Google announces a phone Pixel 2 with an OLED display with better resolution then iPhone X, fast charging tech and price thats at list reasonable.

Not a Google fan. I've had 5 iPhones from it's debut but I will be now switching to Android. That almost makes me puke but I've had enough patience with Apple with their premium prices and not-so anymore premium products. 
    Goodbye and good riddance troll!!!
    cornchipwatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 27 of 36
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,569member
    jume said:

From what I’m reading, the Pixel 2 is not the premium phone that the 2XL is. 
  • Reply 28 of 36
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,952member
    You know, good point. Apple was pretty proud of that button design and protected it accordingly. The notch is definitely the new button. Never thought of it like that, but that it is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36
    aylk said:
    I've always said this about Apple. They don't do things if the technology doesn't exist and in more cases than not THEY'VE had to be the ones to develop the new technology.

Think about the A7, the first ever mobile 64bit processor. It allowed them to achieve amazing things but they developed it themselves because the progress of the current processors was flailing. They've developed so much technology in the camera as well figuring out how to get more light into tiny sensors.

And unlike their competition they are constantly making sacrifices that seem bad but in the end make sense. For example the removal of the headphone jack. Sure, to some having to carry around an adaptor sucks but in truth it adds far greater potential sound. The 3.5mm jack can't carry power and yet the Lightning port can and so you can actually get potentially better audio from this arrangement than the physical port. A sacrifice that seemed bad but has great potential. That pretty much sums up Apple's approach to everything.

Unfortunately if Apple has to wait for others to develop better technology (think OLED) then they have to make such big sacrifices that people think once they finally get there they were too slow to market (AppleTV, Apple Watch, iPhone 6 Plus...) but it was that they deemed the sacrifice of using crap technology was not the sacrifice they wanted to make and low and behold we the consumer are better off for those decisions.
    They didn't have to remove the jack to do that. My phone has one and it does everything that the phone without a jack does, and because it also has the jack, it does much much much more.
    Actually how can you do much much much more when the headphone jack is largely a single use port? True there are some pieces of equipment that make different use of the port such as the iRig but even that's moved to Lightning because it can do more for them. So your much much much more is simply "I can listen to music while charging" which is hardly a massive benefit in the grand scheme of things.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,425member
    aylk said:

Nobody cares. 
  • Reply 31 of 36
    "There really are two very distinct behaviors that I have to sort of engage in and I sort of have," he said. "On one hand, it is to be so curious and inquisitive and you know what that looks like with the constant questions, being light on your feet and being prepared to be wrong.

"And then at the same time, if you're going to do something new, that means that the reason it hasn't been done before is -- there are 55 reasons why it hasn't been done before And so you have to be so focused so resolute."

Gibberish.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Somebody please fix the white balance on that camera. Johnny looks really, really, really orange.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    "There are certain ideas that we have, and we're waiting for the technology to catch up," Ive said. Yeah, because ANYONE can come up with dreamy ideas - make it smaller! Make it faster! Thinner! Edge to edge screen! Face recognition! That's the easy part. Anyone like Ive can draw nice pictures in CAD software. The hard part is DESIGNING and FABRICATING the hardware and 10nm silicon technology to make it happen. People have NO idea the technology involved to fab a CPU or a high-resolution LCD display. That is *real* technology, *real* engineering, and *real* innovation. For all that, you need to thank companies like Samsung, Qualcomm, Broadcom, and TSMC (if you even know who that is).
  • Reply 34 of 36
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Nothing is here to stay in tech. It's all just a matter of time, usually 3-5 years. The day that Apple announces some technology or design that will never go away is the day that I go away from Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    fmalloy said:
    People have NO idea the technology involved to fab a CPU or a high-resolution LCD display. That is *real* technology, *real* engineering, and *real* innovation. For all that, you need to thank companies like Samsung, Qualcomm, Broadcom, and TSMC (if you even know who that is).
    Fucking lol, as though Apple doesn’t design their own chips. Intel claimed Apple’s chip designs as its own for its “ultrabooks”. Go back and watch the MacBook Air introduction keynote in 2008. Also fucking lol, as though Apple doesn’t design its own glass. Gorilla glass wouldn’t have bothered existing without Apple’s insistence. Your statement is the equivalent of whining about how Von Braun gets credit for his moonshot dreams and spaceship designs because Rocketdyne is the one who actually built the F-1 engine.

Only, in the case of Apple, it’s not Rocketdyne building the engine. It’s OKB-1.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    "You may not like the notch, but I think it’s excessive to dislike it. Who cares? It affects the user experience little more than zero. It’s not confusing or disorienting, just a little weird at worst. At best it’s a nice little usage of extra screen space on the sides."

You know who would have hated the "notch" and never let it see the light of day? Steve Jobs. He would have sent Saint Jony back to the drawing boards. Same with the ridiculous "Magic Mouse 2" that can only charge on its back, unusable. THAT is what is missing at Apple these days.