Canada's Rogers sees 'tremendous' demand for iPhone X, upgrades iPhone 8 status to 'good'

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
After calling iPhone 8 demand "anemic," Canadian wireless carrier Rogers Communications on Friday upgraded the smartphone's status to "good," while touting interest in iPhone X as "tremendous."

The statement issued by Rogers' Executive VP Raj Doshi to Axios is ostensibly more upbeat than the bleak picture painted by CEO Joe Natale earlier this month.

"We're seeing tremendous customer excitement for iPhone X with strong customer pre-orders," Doshi said. "We're also seeing good demand for the iPhone 8. We expect the two together will be very popular with our customers this holiday season with iPhone 8 being a major contributor."

During the wireless giant's most recent quarterly earnings conference call, Natale said interest in the then-new iPhone 8 was lower than expected. The chief executive went so far as to say demand was "anemic," suggesting customers were holding out for this year's flagship iPhone X. Natale's remarks fueled speculation that global iPhone 8 series demand is weak, an notion reiterated by rumors claiming Apple plans to cut production of the handset pair in half.

Whether Rogers is witnessing an uptick in iPhone 8 demand is unclear, but Canada's largest cellular provider is seeing a deluge of customers clamoring for iPhone X. According to the company's website, iPhone X preorders show shipping estimates of more than two weeks, meaning launch day supply sold out in well under a day. Wireless carriers around the world are in the same situation.

Apple initiated iPhone X preorders at 12:01 a.m. Pacific on Friday and sold through its first batch of units in less than ten minutes. Current wait times are pegged at 5 to 6 weeks for all models on all carriers.

Earlier today, Apple said iPhone X demand is "off the charts," adding that it's working hard to pump out as many devices as possible for eager fans. The company has yet to comment on iPhone 8, but the topic will likely be addressed during Apple's quarterly earnings call next week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I wonder if Canadians are waiting until after December 1 to buy ANY phone, as carriers will no longer be allowed to lock them as of that date?

Apparently the carriers will also be required to unlock any previously locked device for free after that date (if I understand the new rules correctly), so it doesn't really matter when one buys it, but waiting a month eliminates the hassle.
    chasmpatchythepirateRacerhomieXmagman1979Rayz2016equality72521watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 21
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Lorin Schultz's comment is one of the most well-informed and perceptive I've ever seen here. Well done!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I wonder if Canadians are waiting until after December 1 to buy ANY phone, as carriers will no longer be allowed to lock them as of that date?

Apparently the carriers will also be required to unlock any previously locked device for free after that date (if I understand the new rules correctly), so it doesn't really matter when one buys it, but waiting a month eliminates the hassle.
    not that much of a hassle really.  just a matter of downloading a carrier update.
    igrizzly
  • Reply 4 of 21
    It seems like the two boys don’t talk to each other and looking at different data. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Doomed!
    Undoomed!
    Doomed!
    Undoomed!
    magman1979radarthekatStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 21

No,  because by the government enforcing a stupid no locking policy, all three Carriers just increased monthly fees and also added a $25 activation fee.  Now the minimum monthly plan is $105 for 1 GB of data for iPhone 8, and you still have to pay $300 upfront for the phone. 
    Rayz2016equality72521
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

No,  because by the government enforcing a stupid no locking policy, all three Carriers just increased monthly fees and also added a $25 activation fee.  Now the minimum monthly plan is $105 for 1 GB of data for iPhone 8, and you still have to pay $300 upfront for the phone. I
    It’s almost as if the three carriers are agreeing to fix prices. 
    magman1979caliequality72521igrizzlyflashfan207jony0
  • Reply 8 of 21
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Only suckers doubted iPhone sales to the benefit of professional traders. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    While Mr. Rogers notes that iPhone X demand is, "Tremendous" it has not quite qualified for the highly-sought, "Guilded stupendous" category on the company's arbitrary list of adjectives.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    So where are all those trolls who professed to take what Rogers said about iPhone 8 sales as gospel that it sucks and it’s a failure now???

*crickets*

That was all just BS, and once again, all those idiots who professed iPhone 8 was a lost cause have proven to be complete fools.
    caliLukeCagewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 21
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member

No,  because by the government enforcing a stupid no locking policy, all three Carriers just increased monthly fees and also added a $25 activation fee.  Now the minimum monthly plan is $105 for 1 GB of data for iPhone 8, and you still have to pay $300 upfront for the phone. 
    If you’re paying $105 monthly for just 1 GB of data on iPhone8 then you just took the first deal that was presented to you. 
    The other day, Telus sent me an email talking about their plan for a new iPhone 8+ 7GB of data for $75. Add all taxes and it comes down to $86 per month. 
    toysandmewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Why do people comment when they don’t have any knowledge of facts?  Nobody is waiting for December 1st.  Any phone can be unlocked after Dec 1st.  More important, the iPhones now sold by Rogers are already unlocked.  The iPhone 8 was UNLOCKED.  

So wait if you wish, it won’t make a lick of difference.  

And I agree with others, where are all the doubters now?  People were just waiting for the X, obviously.

magman1979watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 21
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    thedba said:

If you’re paying $105 monthly for just 1 GB of data on iPhone8 then you just took the first deal that was presented to you. 
    The other day, Telus sent me an email talking about their plan for a new iPhone 8+ 7GB of data for $75. Add all taxes and it comes down to $86 per month. 
    Unbelievable what a monthly prices... Just for information purposes: at the moment I pay $27 (including VAT) for unlimited calling/texting and 24GB data at 4G(+) in about 30 european countries.
    toysandme
  • Reply 14 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

I feel so good for moving from ATT to Xfinity with no activation fee bulkshit and my monthly bill for 3 phones for kids: $12 while my unlimited plan: $45! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    So where are all those trolls who professed to take what Rogers said about iPhone 8 sales as gospel that it sucks and it’s a failure now???

*crickets*

That was all just BS, and once again, all those idiots who professed iPhone 8 was a lost cause have proven to be complete fools.
    Until Apple provides sales figures in their quarterly earnings call we no nothing.
    calimuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 21

Preventing carriers from locking phones is absolutely NOT "stupid." It was completely unethical for the carriers to still have been doing it. There was some logic to it back in the days when they provided the phone free as part of the plan, but that's not the case anymore. The carrier doesn't provide the phone, we pay for it, either buy buying it outright or by building the price of the phone into the cost of the plan. When my contract expired I changed to a "Bring Your Own Device" plan. The difference in cost for identical service was exactly the price of the phone over 24 months.

The cable company isn't allowed to "lock" your TV to their service when you buy it. Your internet service provider isn't allowed to lock your computer so you can't use it with any other provider. Why were cellular carriers allowed to seize control of our property by locking it to their network?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21

not that much of a hassle really.  just a matter of downloading a carrier update.
    It's been a year or two since I looked into it, but at the time my carrier told me I'd have to take the phone into one of their stores to get it unlocked. Perhaps that's changed since? Or maybe it was just a policy designed to provide another deterrent to unlocking.
  • Reply 18 of 21

JackYonge said:
    Why do people comment when they don’t have any knowledge of facts?  Nobody is waiting for December 1st.  Any phone can be unlocked after Dec 1st.  More important, the iPhones now sold by Rogers are already unlocked.  The iPhone 8 was UNLOCKED.  

So wait if you wish, it won’t make a lick of difference.  

And I agree with others, where are all the doubters now?  People were just waiting for the X, obviously.

I had it in my head that waiting until after Dec 1 would be easier because at that point it would be a complete non-issue. Maybe it doesn't make any difference.

The biggest reason I and a couple other people I know are waiting is that we want to see, hold, feel, and compare the 8+ and X side-by-side. We can't do that until vendors have stock of both on hand.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 19 of 21

Ouch. I work for Rogers and for $100 you’d get 15GB of data. Could get you an iPhone 8 for $229 for $65 a month. Or trade in your old phone and get it even less. I got a customer an iPhone 8 for $24 the other day. 
  • Reply 20 of 21
    That’s good for Rogers customers. The idiots at Fido told me they wouldn’t be selling the iPhone X because they did some moronic interior survey and “found” that demand for the X wouldn’t be strong enough.