Video: The iPhone X ultimate Face ID test

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sree said:
    I expected a test in the sunlight, since that is where there are reports of issues due to the IR sensor having a problem with sunlight.
    Not a thorough enough review.
    It looks to me like he literally walked outside the Apple Store after buying an iPhone X and did the review immediately. Was he suppose to wait do that those tests until the next Summer Solstice? Maybe you want to flip the bill to fly Mike to some tropical locale in the Southern Hemisphere so they he get more direct sunlight?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    "Require Attention for Face ID"  This setting is on by default.  From setting:

'TrueDepth camera will provide an additional level of security by verifying that you are looking at iPhone before unlocking.  Some sunglasses may block attention detection. 

It stands to reason, that while this setting may provide an additional level of security; it may also impact responsiveness and angle of authentication.  I have turned this off and it does seem more responsive; but that's hardly scientific.  Setting is located @ Settings: Accessibility: Face ID & Attention: Require Attention for Face ID

• Reply 23 of 25
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    Soli said:
    sree said:
    I expected a test in the sunlight, since that is where there are reports of issues due to the IR sensor having a problem with sunlight.
    It looks to me like he literally walked outside the Apple Store after buying an iPhone X and did the review immediately. Was he suppose to wait do that those tests until the next Summer Solstice? Maybe you want to flip the bill to fly Mike to some tropical locale in the Southern Hemisphere so they he get more direct sunlight?

I just expected anything that claimed to be the "Ultimate Face ID Test" to actually cover all the scenarios. He could have just titled it "Just outside the store brief Face ID test" instead, if that is what he was planning. If you title your review 'ultimate', I think it is fair to expect it to be thorough.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    foggyhill said:
    sree said:
    The "issues" (sic) were already edge case (meaning already hard when no in sunlight) like at angle, belt level crap test from the verge's resident Apple troll Patel.

Anything happening on Youtube by some random dweeb is 100% garanteed click bait and can't be trusted.
    I have no opinion on the issues, since I don't know enough about them.

I just expected the 'ultimate Face ID review' on appleinsider to cover these scenarios. The titled projected a more thorough review than was provided, and so wasted my time.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Soli said:
    sree said:
    Totally on board with this idea.
    Soli