iPhone X impresses Windows executive, Android fans but bitter bloggers still hating

Comments

• Reply 101 of 130
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    avon b7 said:
    os2baba said:
    Face Id totally sucks compared to Touch Id. Especially the way Google's implemented it on their phones at the back. Apple nailed unlock on the 5s with Touch ID. Google improved the speed and detection and put it in the back. When I pull the phone out of my pocket, with my finger resting on the sensor, the phone's unlocked halfway through the motion to bring up the phone to view it. With Face Id, there is the half a second delay that just screws up the whole efficiency. Yeah. First world problem. But they took something better and replaced it with something inferior.

Yeah, my Pixel 2 XL screen totally sucks with the blue shift. But I'll take that over the notch. How it doesn't bother everyone is beyond me. Also, I'm not sure why, but the Pixel 2 XL is easier to see outside than the X. I thought that the X is brighter. But it isn't. 
    Personally, I have no problems with the notch and probably wouldn't with FaceID either, but I agree that my rear mounted fingerprint sensor unlocks my phone way faster than FaceID ever could simply because it's unlocked from the second I pick it up or take it out of my pocket.

From a purely unlocking perspective, FaceID offers me no advantage over TouchID. It's another way of performing the same action and technically less likely to see a false positive, but TouchID was already secure enough for me.
    Nope, it’s not about being more secure nor is it the same UX at all. With a visual bio authentication we get contextual computing — simply begin using the device without a thought to logging in. It will do things differently depending on who’s using it. For ex apps and websites auto load their stores credentials now without requiring any action on my part. 

Youd know this if you had or used iphones. 

Its no additional time to unlock because by the time you swipe up (pushing the home button in pre X days) the device has recognized you and unlocked. Your supposed speed advantage makes no useful practical difference because you still have to look at it before you can use it. It simply doesn’t matter that it’s already unlocked while you move it thru mid air up to look at it.  
    I think I'm a bit lost with the idea. Can you give some practical examples of contextual computing with FaceID?

I touch the fingerprint sensor while it's in my pocket or on its way to my line of sight. No sliding to complete the action. From then on I don't log on to anything and am only required to input my banking app's passcode to authenticate a transaction (fingerprint scanner gives read access to my bank app but does not allow for transactions). All websites, social media, Amazon, ISP etc 'just work' because the system knows most of the logon details.

I can see a use for FaceID keeping an eye on who is using the phone once unlocked so that if my unlocked phone fell into someone else's hands they wouldn't be able to use social media sites for example. Is that what you are referring to?

However, it's definitely not something I've ever needed. That's not to say it wouldn't be worthwhile for some people but could also be a pain for some.

Don't forget I have the iPhone 6 at home so although I don't use it daily as a work phone (it's my wife's) I do use it regularly.

• Reply 102 of 130
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Cato1004 said:
    @bb-15, thank you for your balanced response. If you look at my comments, I generally stick with Samsung. The Note 8 or S8 would have all the advantages I mentioned, with the Note 8 being the better option if you don't mind the larger size. Regarding older iPhones, the iPhone 8 has a swelling battery issue and the others have inferior features (minus the headphone jack). I personally don't consider those to be legitimate alternatives as flagships though they are more reasonably priced. There's a reason I don't cite removable battery as an advantage, because only the older Samsung phones have it. Try again but replace Android phones with the Note 8 and you will find my arguments are not "demolished". My comment regarding iSheep was directed at iSheep. In hindsight, I do now regret having said that and I'm sorry for name calling. I did not say who does or does not fall into that category but I shouldn't have said that anyway. As mentioned before, if the iPhone X works for you, that's great for you!
    - "I personally don't consider those to be legitimate alternatives as flagships though they are more reasonably priced."
    That's a problem.
    Except for the SE, all other iPhones being sold today are flagship phones.
    - They are fast, they have 3D Touch, Touch ID (leaving out the iPhone X for right now which has FaceID) and they can have the latest OS software because the update system in iOS is much better than in the Android world (except it's a little better with the Pixel but those have inferior hardware compared with latest iPhones).
    - The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are certainly flagship phones.

- "Regarding older iPhones, the iPhone 8 has a swelling battery issue and the others have inferior features..."
    Fact; The Galaxy S7 (including the Edge) had widespread battery swelling issues.
    Does that mean that the Galaxy S7/Edge was not a flagship phone? Of course not.
    - The iPhone 8 / 8 Plus are flagship phones.

- "I generally stick with Samsung. The Note 8 or S8 would have all the advantages..."
    The Note 8 or S8 do not have all the advantages.
    - The Note 8 / S8 have glass backs and are about as breakable as the new iPhones. Check out the PhoneBuff YouTube channel. PhoneBuff are pretty much the only ones who have systematic drop tests.
    - The iPhone 8 Plus matches up very well with the Note 8 or S8 in terms of battery life, working in the cold, and not having the green line.
    - In terms of the home/fingerprint button, I think the iPhone 8 Plus is better than the Note 8 or S8.
    - And cost? I shopped for a Note 8 at Best Buy; $950. The iPhone 8 Plus is cheaper.

* Notice that on the day of the release of the iPhone X, 11/3/17, Apple sold 46.7 million iPhones in the previous quarter.
    Of the mix of products, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus were the two most popular iPhone models and some analysts stated that the iPhone 8 Plus was Apple's biggest seller in the quarter.
    - Notice that some people in this thread are still choosing the iPhone 8 Plus over the iPhone X.
    The iPhone 8 Plus measures up very well to the Samsung & Pixel 2 lineup.

edited November 2017 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 130
    avon b7 said:

I touch the fingerprint sensor while it's in my pocket or on its way to my line of sight. No sliding to complete the action. From then on I don't log on to anything and am only required to input my banking app's passcode to authenticate a transaction (fingerprint scanner gives read access to my bank app but does not allow for transactions). All websites, social media, Amazon, ISP etc 'just work' because the system knows most of the logon details.

Face ID works just fine and as fast. As the iPhone comes into view with my face I'm already swiping half way up. I do see your point that Touch ID can unlock the phone in your pocket. However my face is not in my pocket (lol) since I'm already in with Face ID when needed I think it doesn't matter. They're both fast at unlocking tho.

Besides unlocking apps (banks, 1Password, etc) Face ID will also auto fill passwords on websites, a super awesome feature btw. Previously anyone would be able to log in to a website with the auto fill. No more tapping to auto fill. Touch ID doesn't do this. And even if it did you couldn't do it from your pocket unless you were on that specific site or app.

FYI, I am lovin the iPhone X. Super awesome upgrade. 

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 130
    Is there anything easier than writing a editorial for this site? It’s like Donald Trump at a campaign rally throwing red meat to his base. He knows what to give them and they eat it up every time.
    And yet, here you are, annoyed at people enjoying an editorial. Are you “concerned”?
    No but it seems others here are since they seem to need ‘editorials’ from DED to make them feel good about Apple. Btw, I own an X and think it’s an amazing phone.
    muthuk_vanalingamsingularity
  • Reply 105 of 130
    brucemc said:
    Is there anything easier than writing a editorial for this site? It’s like Donald Trump at a campaign rally throwing red meat to his base. He knows what to give them and they eat it up every time.
    As usual @rogifan_new thanks for you excellent observations and valuable addition to the thread. 
    Perhaps you can tell me what the point of this editorial is other than specifically trying to attract trolls or just a feel-good piece for the tribe. From what I can tell the X is getting mostly positive reviews all around so I’m not sure why the tribe would need to be backed up.
    singularity
  • Reply 106 of 130

you name it, they gobbled it up.

Brilliant.  

(And nice to know that there's another Zappa fan in our midst). 
    Long time. I saw all three of his Sydney concerts in '73, although I had to sneak in to two of them, plus all his London Hammersmith shows in '78 (tittle and beer) and '79 (sheik yerbouti), which is how I know that Eddie Jobson is playing violin on 'Flakes' although he is not credited on the Sheik Yerbouti album  but you can still hear him in the background. Oh yeah, I got a job for the school holidays in '72 in Grace Bros, Broadway Sydney, and I was working in the record dept so I played the just released Just Another Band From LA over the PA which caused a bit of a kerfuffle when the chorus 'So don't fuck with Billy and don't fuck with Ethel....don't fuck around, don't fuck arrouuuund, doooonnnnt fuck are round.....etc, kicked in.
  • Reply 107 of 130
    Hmm...I felt this piece by DED was actually very cogent and coherent with much less hand waving than usual. But, then I am a fan of all of DED's articles even though some of them tend to be a bit long-winded. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 108 of 130
    Soli said:
    No. Just no. I can't forgive Apple for the abomination that is called "the notch." I'll be picking up an iPhone 8+ instead. They should have gotten inspiration from Samsung's Infinity display on how to do an edge to edge display. 
    So the notch is an abomination, but a massive forehead (and chin) are perfectly acceptable to you. Makes perfect sense¡
    The forehead and chin on the iPhone 8+ do not interrupt the flow of screen. 
  • Reply 109 of 130
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    No. Just no. I can't forgive Apple for the abomination that is called "the notch." I'll be picking up an iPhone 8+ instead. They should have gotten inspiration from Samsung's Infinity display on how to do an edge to edge display. 
    So the notch is an abomination, but a massive forehead (and chin) are perfectly acceptable to you. Makes perfect sense¡
    The forehead and chin on the iPhone 8+ do not interrupt the flow of screen. 
    Sure the do. The display clearly stops which leaves about 1/5th of the front with no display and also means that status bar items are covering a portion of that 16:9 display when in use, thereby taking up even more of the usable space.

Now, if Apple used a 16:9 display with the corners rounded and a notch in it so that the device was now much smaller in size then I'd see your point about losing something, but you're not losing a god damn thing. Case in point, a 16:9 video being played without a single fucking pixel being cropped.

randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 110 of 130
    The tech pundits are simply purveyors of 'fake news'
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 111 of 130
    What a great and lovely article! Ghanks for making my day :smiley: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 112 of 130
    RedPandaSlothRedPandaSloth Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    "Apple isn't exactly regarded a slouch in battery performance" actually, for the most part it is from people who've used Android handsets too (though Apple's tablets generally last a decently long time). And most high-end Android phones don't have "cheap" designs any more. The problem with your criticism of his criticism is that it sounds almost as biased. There's no doubt that he is being biased and unfair though, I'll give you that. The iPhone X is a brilliant handset and the first genuinely exciting phone Apple has made in years.
  • Reply 113 of 130
    You know, I don't always agree with your comments, DED, but damned if you don't write well, and entertainingly. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 114 of 130
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If you want reasoned, objective discussions then head on over to an Android fan site. Oh wait...
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 115 of 130
    Actually there all true , there's alot of bugs with iOS 11 and iPhone x , I don't think that phone was ready , n if the green lines or freezing screens in cold can't be fixed I see a lot of recalls, 
    Obviously the catastrophe always waiting for Apple right around the corner. First, the price. Then the notch. Later, FaceID will never work well. Now it's freezing screens lol.

You guys are so smart you miss what's right in front of you. That this $1000 phone is not supposed to sell, and certainly not supposed to sell as big as this. This is a testament of users' "trust" in Apple products despite YOU trying to tell them Apple is doomed. Apple is behind, Apple don't innovate, and it won't be long before Google swallowing them alive. This trust is so big nothing you do or say could have an impact. 
    What a shit life to be you. Always lurking in Apple forum, patting yourself in the back, talking to your own shadow "Don't worry the end is near. The end is near."
    Android fans are like Liverpool fans that every year is their year.. until it isn't. Very sad. 

edited November 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobraequality72521
  • Reply 116 of 130
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    os2baba said:
    Face Id totally sucks compared to Touch Id. Especially the way Google's implemented it on their phones at the back. Apple nailed unlock on the 5s with Touch ID. Google improved the speed and detection and put it in the back. When I pull the phone out of my pocket, with my finger resting on the sensor, the phone's unlocked halfway through the motion to bring up the phone to view it. With Face Id, there is the half a second delay that just screws up the whole efficiency. Yeah. First world problem. But they took something better and replaced it with something inferior.

Yeah, my Pixel 2 XL screen totally sucks with the blue shift. But I'll take that over the notch. How it doesn't bother everyone is beyond me. Also, I'm not sure why, but the Pixel 2 XL is easier to see outside than the X. I thought that the X is brighter. But it isn't. 
    Personally, I have no problems with the notch and probably wouldn't with FaceID either, but I agree that my rear mounted fingerprint sensor unlocks my phone way faster than FaceID ever could simply because it's unlocked from the second I pick it up or take it out of my pocket.

From a purely unlocking perspective, FaceID offers me no advantage over TouchID. It's another way of performing the same action and technically less likely to see a false positive, but TouchID was already secure enough for me.
    Nope, it’s not about being more secure nor is it the same UX at all. With a visual bio authentication we get contextual computing — simply begin using the device without a thought to logging in. It will do things differently depending on who’s using it. For ex apps and websites auto load their stores credentials now without requiring any action on my part. 

Youd know this if you had or used iphones. 

Its no additional time to unlock because by the time you swipe up (pushing the home button in pre X days) the device has recognized you and unlocked. Your supposed speed advantage makes no useful practical difference because you still have to look at it before you can use it. It simply doesn’t matter that it’s already unlocked while you move it thru mid air up to look at it.  
    I think I'm a bit lost with the idea. Can you give some practical examples of contextual computing with FaceID?

Other than the example I already gave where apps and websites auto load your stored credentials if the phone sees that it’s you? Ok, here’s another: when looking at the lock screen notifications will show their content if the phone sees that it’s you, otherwise they just list the notifications. This is awesome. 

Like I see, there is no practical advantage to unlocking the phone in your pocket, as you will still need to, you know, look at it to use it. When you look at the X it unlocks. The auth happens later than in your pocket, but it simply doesn’t matter. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 117 of 130

And yet, here you are, annoyed at people enjoying an editorial. Are you “concerned”?
    No but it seems others here are since they seem to need ‘editorials’ from DED to make them feel good about Apple. Btw, I own an X and think it’s an amazing phone.
    How do you know what other people need or why they read things? Are you a mind reader? A magician? Nope. You don’t know squat. It just bothers you for your own reasons that you then project onto others. 
    brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 118 of 130

brucemc said:
    As usual @rogifan_new thanks for you excellent observations and valuable addition to the thread. 
    Perhaps you can tell me what the point of this editorial is other than specifically trying to attract trolls or just a feel-good piece for the tribe. From what I can tell the X is getting mostly positive reviews all around so I’m not sure why the tribe would need to be backed up.
    How is it you’ve reached adulthood yet are completely unfamiliar with the concept of an opinion columnist? Do you read newspapers? Do you visit other weekly columnists and complain about their columns’ topic du jour?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 119 of 130
    Jesus Diaz = dotard!!  He’s just fake news!!
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 120 of 130

iPhone X impresses Windows executive

Correction: iPhone X impresses disgruntled, former Windows executive who never misses an opportunity to criticize his former employer while promoting his personal brand.

muthuk_vanalingam