iOS 11.2 beta switches on quicker 7.5W wireless charging for iPhone 8 & X

Posted:
in iPhone
With iOS 11.2, still in beta, Apple has silently enabled promised 7.5-watt wireless Qi charging for the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X -- faster than the 5 watts the devices supported at launch.

Using the beta and Belkin's Boost Up pad, an iPhone X can charge from 46 to 66 percent in 30 minutes, MacRumors noted after acting on a tip from accessory maker RAVpower. The same iPhone only progressed from 46 to 60 percent in 30 minutes on a pad limited to 5 watts.

7.5 is still slower than the 15-watt maximum supported by Qi, and many cable-based charging options, but nevertheless beyond the 5-watt wired adapter bundled with iPhones. Indeed Apple has sometimes come under fire for not including a more powerful adapter.

It's not clear why Apple had to wait to enable 7.5-watt support, but presumably the company just didn't have time to test and optimize it ahead of the new iPhones' launch.

iOS 11.2 is currently in its third beta, available to both developers and the public. It could still be a few weeks before the finished update goes live.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The Mophie that they sell in the Apple Store does 7.5 W as well correct? 
  • Reply 2 of 10
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    My Ikea charger only supports 5W  :/  Why does this matter for a bedside charger?  If you use a sleep tracking app that keeps your phone on all night, your phone may not be fully charged when you get up.  Since I got the iPhone 8 and the charger, this has only been an issue a couple of times, and then not a really big issue.  Still can't beat it for $11.99.  But you might like to know . . . 
    rich gregoryphilboogie
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I wonder if this means that the AirPower charger will be 7.5W?
    Eagleglen
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Is there a table showing how long it takes minutes/hours for 7.5W wireless charging pad to charge iPhone in % like 10%, 30%, 50%, 90%, 100% etc and similar for lightening port adapter (5W, USB-C) ?
    edited November 2017 Soli
  • Reply 5 of 10
    wood1208 said:
    Is there a table showing how long it takes minutes/hours for 7.5W wireless charging pad to charge iPhone in % like 10%, 30%, 50%, 90%, 100% etc and similar for lightening port adapter (5W, USB-C) ?
    This test was done before 7.5W wireless charging was available, so unfortunately you don't see a difference between the two. But, it's worth noting that 7.5W wireless charging will actually be faster than the 5W wired charger that ships with the iPhones 8 & X.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/10/02/comparing-iphone-8-charging-speeds-with-fast-charge-wireless-and-more
    patchythepiratechiaracerhomieclarker99
  • Reply 6 of 10
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Wireless charging is a waste of energy. Wired whatever is much better than wireless whenever possible for anything, including also keyboards and mice. Batteries are obnoxious to the environment, besides much less convenient and a pain to recharge routinely. We are destroying planet Earth and nobody seems to care.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    appex said:
    Wireless charging is a waste of energy. Wired whatever is much better than wireless whenever possible for anything, including also keyboards and mice. Batteries are obnoxious to the environment, besides much less convenient and a pain to recharge routinely. We are destroying planet Earth and nobody seems to care.
    One positive about iPhone wireless charging is when same Lightening Port on iPhone start going bad(means giving contact problem) due to the multiple insertion to the same port used for charging and wired earpod listening; wireless charging can keep you going and not need to replace the port. So, in such circumstances it can become necessity rather than convenience.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    The Mophie that they sell in the Apple Store does 7.5 W as well correct? 

Yes, it says on Apple's website under Overview and on the Mophie website it can charge up to speeds of 7.5w of power. I currently own one of these and I'm happy to know that the iOS 11.2 update will support the faster charging of my Mophie wireless charger.

edited November 2017 caladanian
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I’m fine with 5W personally. Got my iPhone X on Friday and bought a Anker 5W “hockey puck” charger for $13.99 on Amazon. Keep it on my nightstand and throw the iPhone X on it night and it’s at 100% when I wake up in the morning.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    appex said:
    Know how much CO2 goes into the atmosphere when Apple builds a behemoth mega-spaceship as a temple to wealth? Know how much damage you do to the environment mining lithium? Removing the headphone jack means wireless headphones - more obnoxious batteries to charge. How about all the toxic chemicals, and massive amounts of water and power required to fab A11 CPU silicon chips?

So basically, Apple as a company damages the environment and contributes to global warming on a scale much, much larger than you or I, but yet *we're* supposed to ditch the convenience of wireless charging to help save the planet?