Apple hit with lawsuit after admitting to slowing down iPhones with depleted batteries

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Soli said:
    jume said:
    They should get sued for this. My iPhone 6 is so fucking slow at moments its barely useable. Why there just can't be a switch in settings. It's my decision if I want usable phone or if an app shuts down because of an old battery. This is bad for Apple. 
    It is your decision, so go ahead and jailbreak it, then you can not only bring the clock speed back to what it was but also increase it as Apple already underclocks their A-series chips for better battery life from the factory… assuming that hack is currently available or you have the skills to make it. The point being, you have that option, just as Apple has the option to make the clock speed what they wish since they don't promise any on their Techs Specs page and aren't beholden to your whims when they create their next version of iOS.
    No I don't want to jail brake my freaking phone just so I can use it normally. If I would want to jailbrake and stuff I would buy my self a creepy Android phone.
  • Reply 22 of 126
    jume said:
    They should get sued for this. My iPhone 6 is so fucking slow at moments its barely useable. Why there just can't be a switch in settings. It's my decision if I want usable phone or if an app shuts down because of an old battery. This is bad for Apple. 

Are you sure the slowness is due to this "feature", or could there be other factors, such as bad actors / misbehaving / poor-designed apps?
    gregg thurmanmagman1979
  • Reply 23 of 126

jume said:
    Ciprol said:
    jume said:
    Your iPhone 6 is 'so fxxx slow' because you have old apps and/or left too little free storage space. Nothing to do with the few percentage points in processor performance reduction for peak power.

This law suit reflects badly on some members of the society.
    I have auto update on all my apps. I don't use them that much. The most frustraiting apps to use are Camera, Facebook and Instagram. Sometimes I want to photo an event and before camera turns on all the events are already past. I have 128 GB with 40 gigs free. So what now? I year ago I used the same apps, had same storage space and the phone worked normally. So what should I do?

Is the system telling you that your battery needs to be replaced?

Get a new battery and see how it performs?
    mwhitegregg thurmanmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 126

jume said:
    Ciprol said:
    jume said:
    Your iPhone 6 is 'so fxxx slow' because you have old apps and/or left too little free storage space. Nothing to do with the few percentage points in processor performance reduction for peak power.

This law suit reflects badly on some members of the society.
    I have auto update on all my apps. I don't use them that much. The most frustraiting apps to use are Camera, Facebook and Instagram. Sometimes I want to photo an event and before camera turns on all the events are already past. I have 128 GB with 40 gigs free. So what now? I year ago I used the same apps, had same storage space and the phone worked normally. So what should I do?

Is the system telling you that your battery needs to be replaced?

Get a new battery and see how it performs?
    I will probably do that. Didn't see that warning anywhere but sure after 3 years battery is worse than it used to be. Still I would prefer to have processor at 100%. Let it drain battery. that's why I have charger. 
  • Reply 25 of 126

jume said:

Are you sure the slowness is due to this "feature", or could there be other factors, such as bad actors / misbehaving / poor-designed apps?
    Mostly I use top downloaded apps from big vendors like google, fb, apple, ... i doubt these are poorly designed. I started to shutdown all apps regularly because of bad responsiveness, but even this doesn't help sometimes. I am pretty sure phone is slower then it used to be.
  • Reply 26 of 126
    Recently brought MacBook pro 2015 in faulty tracked cursor erratic,  not responding. Apple genius said had to send in for repairs $500. Not that old, babied, never dropped.

Unacceptable.

iPhone 6 running iOS 11  lags worse than Android since update. 

Unacceptable.

Cant plug Apple lightening headphones into mackbook w/o adapter.

Moronic and unacceptable.

This is all very ugly. 
    ZooMigo[Deleted User]
  • Reply 27 of 126
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jume said:
    Soli said:
    jume said:
    It is your decision, so go ahead and jailbreak it, then you can not only bring the clock speed back to what it was but also increase it as Apple already underclocks their A-series chips for better battery life from the factory… assuming that hack is currently available or you have the skills to make it. The point being, you have that option, just as Apple has the option to make the clock speed what they wish since they don't promise any on their Techs Specs page and aren't beholden to your whims when they create their next version of iOS.
    No I don't want to jail brake my freaking phone just so I can use it normally. If I would want to jailbrake and stuff I would buy my self a creepy Android phone.
    The only "normal" is what Apple decides. You can say you want the "original" clock rate in which you first bought it, but then you really shouldn't do updates as even new features can affect how fast it feels and you shouldn't refer to it as performance—not that you have in this discussion—because the battery life is part of how the device performs and that degrades with use, hence the reason the reduces the clock rate slightly.
    edited December 2017 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 126
    skaduusch said:
    Not telling consumers about this behavior has nothing to do with "transparency." If Apple were to point out every little detail about how iOS works it would be too long for anyone to actually read. This isn't a "feature" nor is it a fault. Electronic devices in general are not going to function as optimally when their power source weakens. That's the way electronics work. The fact that they had to make this compromise in order to keep the phone running smoothly (even if a little slower) is a much better solution than just letting the phone crash all the time. My car battery weakens over time too and eventually can't start my car any more. At that point I have to get a new battery, that's just life.

maestro64 said:

Did anyone not predict this.

I was reading all the headline on this subject, in typical media fashion these days, they make it sound like Apple only did it to force people to update their phones. Verses the real reality, they were trying to extend the useful life of the phone under low battery conditions. It was clear the phone was not slow down all the time only when the battery level hit a certain point.

it made total sense what they did, reduce the current spikes on low battery condition which kept the battery voltage from dipping below the low voltage cut off. Customer could get a new phone or new battery, I have replaced batteries on a number of iPhone after 3 yrs to get rid of the problem of it shutting down too quickly on low battery. I am not sure if we really notice the slow performance.

The issue now it the media has spun this so bad that people are piss even if they never saw an issue or upgrade just because they wanted a new phone. As person who used an Android for long time and saw real performance hits after 6 to 9 months of using the phone, Apple slow down does not compare.

Completely agree with both of you.  This guy suing sounds to me like the tech version of an ambulance chaser.

What's worse is the acrimony being cast on other forums and websites over Apple's move here.  And the criticism is largely from Droid users who don't own an iPhone.  So dumb.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 29 of 126
    jume said:
    The iPhone 6 is practically ancient. You either need a new battery or a new iPhone. Apple will be happy to oblige you with one or the other as long as you have the money to pay. How about getting a new iPhone X. I hear they're quite fast.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 126
    iOS 11 has not been great for me. Incredibly laggy on my iPad Pro. Phil Schiller gave an interview with the London Daily Telegraph (behind paywall). In the interview he was asked about software issues and said Apple had to do some ‘soul searching’. This is just more bad PR, which is the last thing Apple needs.
  • Reply 31 of 126
    jume said:
    This is not what’s making it slow down. There are some issues with some of the 3rd party apps and in the new OS. I found and article yesterday on resting settings but keeping all data. It completely fixed the problem. I did backup just Incase. You will have to redo preferences including any Apple Pay Card
    watto_cobramacdarren
  • Reply 32 of 126
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    My iPhone 6 Plus was throttled, definitely, during 10-15 December 2017. The screenshots took 6-10 seconds to make.  Now, it returns to normal, i.e. 1-3 seconds.
    I use coconutBattery (on Mac, free to download) to test the battery condition of my iPhone 6 Plus and it is 92%.  Definitely it's not a worn battery.  Also, this iPhone 6 Plus was replaced by Apple in April, just 8 months ago, because the original iPhone 6 Plus was 50% slower than my wife's. Both iPhone 6 Plus were purchased on the same day.  

So, editors, please do not divert our attention. It's not battery problem.  You're just helping Apple to sell their huge inventory of stocked batteries for older iPhones!
    ZooMigobsenka[Deleted User]
  • Reply 33 of 126
    jume said:
    The iPhone 6 is practically ancient. You either need a new battery or a new iPhone. Apple will be happy to oblige you with one or the other as long as you have the money to pay. How about getting a new iPhone X. I hear they're quite fast.
    Yea be my guest with $1661 price tag in Europe
  • Reply 34 of 126
    Recently brought MacBook pro 2015 in faulty tracked cursor erratic,  not responding. Apple genius said had to send in for repairs $500. Not that old, babied, never dropped.

Unacceptable.

iPhone 6 running iOS 11  lags worse than Android since update. 

Unacceptable.

Cant plug Apple lightening headphones into mackbook w/o adapter.

Moronic and unacceptable.

This is all very ugly. 
    If you have an iPhone 6 as you claim, your EarPod's don't have a lightning connector. iPhone 6 EarPods are 3.5mm, which will work fine with your MBP. 
    JWSCpscooter63Rayz2016
  • Reply 35 of 126
    ivanh said:
    My iPhone 6 Plus was throttled, definitely, during 10-15 December 2017. The screenshots took 6-10 seconds to make.  Now, it returns to normal, i.e. 1-3 seconds.
    I use coconutBattery (on Mac, free to download) to test the battery condition of my iPhone 6 Plus and it is 92%.  Definitely it's not a worn battery.  Also, this iPhone 6 Plus was replaced by Apple in April, just 8 months ago, because the original iPhone 6 Plus was 50% slower than my wife's. Both iPhone 6 Plus were purchased on the same day.  

So, editors, please do not divert our attention. It's not battery problem.  You're just helping Apple to sell their huge inventory of stocked batteries for older iPhones!
    Did Apple issue a point update to up the clock rate since this come out yesterday or are you saying Apple can push major OS changes to devices OTA without any user interaction or being aware that it's happening? That sounds more like Apple fixed a bug in the last point update that was affecting your device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 126
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    In another universe, someone is suing Apple because their devices suddenly shut down.
    In another universe, someone is suing battery manufacturers because the batteries lose charge over time.

And in a another universe (far, far, far away), no one is suing anyone about this because they realize that everything is trying to make the best product possible.
    Solizroger73pscooter63Rayz2016asdasdradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 126
    dws-2 said:
    In another universe, someone is suing Apple because their devices suddenly shut down.
    In another universe, someone is suing battery manufacturers because the batteries lose charge over time.

And in a another universe (far, far, far away), no one is suing anyone about this because they realize that everything is trying to make the best product possible.
    If outrage over normal, safe business practices for CE on this website is any indication of which alternate universe we're living in, I think I can say that this is the darkest timeline.

watto_cobradws-2
  • Reply 38 of 126
    Not sure how I feel about the lawsuit, but Apple was in the wrong on this issue.  The battery may not last as long, but it should still produce sufficient power to run the phone for its stated capacity which is 80% after at least 500 full charge cycles.  The unexpected shutdowns when the battery still has 30% charge left is a symptom of a poorly designed battery.  Apple's throttling is covering up a design flaw.

It is particularly obvious when you hear of customers whose phones are being throttled yet their batteries test out as being good when they take it to an Apple store.

Apple's statement that throttling doesn't occur under most operating conditions and saying bench marking artificially triggers it is also disingenuous.  True, a normal phone call isn't going to trigger throttling, but pretty much any processor intensive app will cause it to happen just like the benchmark software does.

I don't expect my old iPhone 6 to run like an iPhone X, but I do expect it to run like a new iPhone 6 for as long as the battery is working.
    ZooMigo1STnTENDERBITSmuthuk_vanalingamjcs2305
  • Reply 39 of 126
    What's not clear is, does Apple detect that a battery is having issues and slows it down, or does Apple slow all phones that have older batteries even if they aren't having any issues.
    larryaZooMigo[Deleted User]
  • Reply 40 of 126
    spacekid said:
    What's not clear is, does Apple detect that a battery is having issues and slows it down, or does Apple slow all phones that have older batteries even if they aren't having any issues.
    Yes.